Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Sarathiour

Cipher
Pathfinder SRD said:
Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/

I'm saying that's how it works in game, would not be the first time that they fucked up P&P rule.

The shadow probably has a static bonus to that roll that isn't being shown, calm down

No, it's because it's a crit

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pathfinder SRD said:
Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/

I'm saying that's how it works in game, would not be the first time that they fucked up P&P rule.

I know, I was just confirming that this is indeed RAW. Just like in 3.5. This has been the case since AD&D (which was the first edition to have rules for criticals - it also had an optional rule that crits gave extra attacks instead of dealing additional damage).

It’s a widespread misnomer (also among P&P players, despite rusty’s poke at the ‘dex) that you multiply on a critical hit rather than roll the damage again.

Last edited:
Is there any fix for characters that have their casting attribute buffed by items continually losing the extra memorized spell slots?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there any fix for characters that have their casting attribute buffed by items continually losing the extra memorized spell slots?
Backup saves, and delete game directory. Half year later when you'd be in self-punishing mood again, install new version and hope they fixed it already.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Horse is unique - it starts Large, so classes built around Mounted Combat could ride it from lvl 1, and does not grow one step bigger at lvl 4, when it gets stat increases like all pets.
I think biggest mechanical point of this guide - looking at the size, like Small/Medium/Large, or even at pet model could be misleading, it is all about the size of the green selection circle. So even if numbers themselves could turn out not to be applicable to Kingmaker, it has solid idea about what you should look at to compare them properly.
If you ask me the whole thing is nonsensical. People able to ride on wolfs or dogs - and not just halflings but adult men. And horses being of the size category said dogs. Have the devs even saw a horse in real life? Again, it might be p&p rules but if dogs or wolves are of the size of horses then they are not dogs/wolves anymore but some other, dog/wolf-like, entities. It's fantasy, call them Hot Dogs or whatever. But they are fantastic creatures.

*this should be in WotR thread, oh well.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Horse is unique - it starts Large, so classes built around Mounted Combat could ride it from lvl 1, and does not grow one step bigger at lvl 4, when it gets stat increases like all pets.
I think biggest mechanical point of this guide - looking at the size, like Small/Medium/Large, or even at pet model could be misleading, it is all about the size of the green selection circle. So even if numbers themselves could turn out not to be applicable to Kingmaker, it has solid idea about what you should look at to compare them properly.
If you ask me the whole thing is nonsensical. People able to ride on wolfs or dogs - and not just halflings but adult men. And horses being of the size category said dogs. Have the devs even saw a horse in real life? Again, it might be p&p rules but if dogs or wolves are of the size of horses then they are not dogs/wolves anymore but some other, dog/wolf-like, entities. It's fantasy, call them Hot Dogs or whatever. But they are fantastic creatures.

*this should be in WotR thread, oh well.

Wargs

FriendlyMerchant

I just made this pact wizard.

rbLXnxJ.jpg

Ogdd2DK.jpg

For fun.

251j2Xk.png

Anyone know what the effects of improved blind fight are without having blind fight? I don't trust the devs to have fully duplicated the effects from blind fight onto the improved version. Also normal blind fight says it gives immunity to gaze attacks but the improved one doesn't.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Anyone know what the effects of improved blind fight are without having blind fight? I don't trust the devs to have fully duplicated the effects from blind fight onto the improved version. Also normal blind fight says it gives immunity to gaze attacks but the improved one doesn't.

If it helps, I tested skipping chain of feat whith dragon feat in wotr, you end up with nothing working.

Yosharian

Arcane
251j2Xk.png

Spawn a Wild Hunt Monarch using Bag of Tricks and see if you can ignore his Wild Gaze

Is there anything that explains how Casting Defensively actually fucking works?

From what I can tell, there's no check at all for casting spells in melee. There is a check for using attack spells like Acid Splash in melee, which provokes an attack of opportunity even when it succeeds. My guess is that the AoO is for using a ranged attack in melee and the casting defensively check is actually broken and should be called a concentration check. Though, it works like a casting defensively check in that the DC is = 15 + spell level, rather than caring about the amount of damage you take in the AoO (and you make the casting defensively check even if you aren't hit). What the fuck is up? Is combat casting completely worthless?

EDIT: Although Harrim using touch of chaos did make a casting defensively check, did provoke an AoO when he failed and did not provoke an AoO when he succeeded. Yet my sorcerer can cast glitterdust all day next to the same enemy with nary a cast defensively or AoO. And Harrim doesn't get them when casting other spells.

EDIT2: Oh, I guess it makes sense then. Normal spells = never provoke AoOs and never get a cast defensively check for some reason. Ranged touch attacks = always provoke AoOs because its counted as a ranged attack (maybe point blank master would let you avoid that?) and have a fake casting defensively check that does nothing, melee touch attacks = actually work as all spells should, having a cast defensively check that allows you to avoid provoking an AoO if you succeed.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll be completely honest, other than Regongar, I just use a "reach" weapon, so I don't have to deal with that crap. And even with Reg, I always have him big or any plus size, so he gains reach, so I won't have to deal with that crap.
And I don't cast in melee unless I absolutely have to, and then I just pray to God that whatever Russian math P:K has won't get me bonked.

Don't worry, it seems casting in melee is just fine unless using attack spells. And Regongar is probably fine by mid level, the check is DC 15 + spell level x 2 (so Vamp touch would be DC 21). But your concentration is d20 + caster level + casting modifier, so Regongar with a +6 charisma headband (therefor +6 cha modifier) would only need to be level 14 to have 100% chance of casting defensively successfully. Combat casting would reduce that to level 10. At least, assuming everything in my test actually holds out during gameplay. I tested both in turn based and RTwP and it seemed to be as I stated.

Also good to know that Harrim using Touch of Chaos is pretty safe while doing so. You know, aside from the danger of having Harrim in melee.

EDIT: What's funny is that Eldritch Scion at level 20 gets the ability to avoid casting defensively checks entirely while using spell combat. But a level 20 eldritch scion already have 24 base concentration + casting modifier, and the max DC you could have for casting a level 6 spell is 27. You need 16 Charisma to cast a level 6 spell in the first place, so... you already have 27 concentration and can't fail that casting defensively check. This isn't even a problem with Kingmaker's implementation of Pathfinder rules as far as I can tell, Pathfinder PnP designers just didn't do the math themselves.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
If you just play Harrim against (Zombie) Giants and Trolls (where he gets +4 AC) there’s little danger in melee.

It’s what he’s for, especially ToC vs bosses. Best tank in the game for Trobold and VTomb.

If the guy in Heavy Armor and Shield is having trouble staying alive you may have missed a thing or two.HarrimFirstMover.jpgHarrim13Touch.jpgHarrim12tankingbigzombie.jpgHarrim13BansheeWill.jpg

Here you can see in the first pic the importance of boosting Harrim's initiative so that he can establish Fighting Defensively and Touch of Chaos (makes the target re-roll all Saves and Attax), in the second how the Touch Attack of Touch of Chaos is important to overcome the malus from Fighting Defensively, in the third the value of Fighting Defensively and the AC bonus vs Giants for tanking in VTomb, and in the last how making him a Necromancer lets him attack Will Saves against Giants and Trolls who have weak will. Can even do it with Undeath to Death vs Zombies and Ghosts.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Here you can see Harrim's other Domain ability boosting everyone's damage in the first pic, and automatically confirming all crits in the second.

Attachments

• Amiri 14 Pounce.jpg
    Amiri 14 Pounce.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Destructive Aura Crit Confirm.jpg
    Destructive Aura Crit Confirm.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 57

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom