Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Casting Defensively fail no AoO.jpg Here's a case where he failed a Casting Defensively check but there was no AoO and Touch went ahead. Pretty sure I've run into other cases where there was or spell failed.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I started playing this on the hardest difficulty not being at all familiar with Pathfinder, nor having any idea what I'm doing, and fuck, it's insanely hard. I was already having to use every single spell and special ability just to survive the tutorial. It's possible my build is completely fucked (playing as a Ranger with longbow specialty), but no one in my party can hit jack shit, so battles are a nightmare of RNG (although, I have learned that using the special abilities that increase attack even just slightly can make a massive difference).

I also fucking hate (in fact, loathe), RTWP, which is utter shit because you really have no idea when the masked turns begin or end, and with a game this RNG focused, you kind of need to know that to be successful. I haven't tried turn based mode yet.

Anyhow, I made it to the first village after 2 hours of trial and error. I am very stubborn, love challenges, and always play everything on the hardest difficulty, but ya'll need to let me know if a vanilla Ranger is fine for the hardest difficulty, or if I should restart. My stats are: STR 8, DEX 20, CON 10, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8. I took humans for my enemy type perk and the Long Bow specialty perk.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Is there any good character guides for people who aren’t autistic and want to start this game without fucking them selves over late game?

Desiderius

Patron
I started playing this on the hardest difficulty not being at all familiar with Pathfinder, nor having any idea what I'm doing, and fuck, it's insanely hard. I was already having to use every single spell and special ability just to survive the tutorial. It's possible my build is completely fucked (playing as a Ranger with longbow specialty), but no one in my party can hit jack shit, so battles are a nightmare of RNG (although, I have learned that using the special abilities that increase attack even just slightly can make a massive difference).

I also fucking hate (in fact, loathe), RTWP, which is utter shit because you really have no idea when the masked turns begin or end, and with a game this RNG focused, you kind of need to know that to be successful. I haven't tried turn based mode yet.

Anyhow, I made it to the first village after 2 hours of trial and error. I am very stubborn, love challenges, and always play everything on the hardest difficulty, but ya'll need to let me know if a vanilla Ranger is fine for the hardest difficulty, or if I should restart. My stats are: STR 8, DEX 20, CON 10, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8. I took humans for my enemy type perk and the Long Bow specialty perk.
Don't start on the hardest difficulty.

It isn't a bullshit phone game.

Desiderius

Patron
Is there any good character guides for people who aren’t autistic and want to start this game without fucking them selves over late game?
Play the classes, read your abilities, use them. You don't need to do all the 3.5 dips and splashes to be successful (PF was designed to obviate that) but there's no shame in starting on normal and kicking things up as you learn to play.

Bonuses of the same type don't stack so seek out bonuses of different types (Enhancement, Morale, Competence, Sacred, Luck, Circumstance, etc...). Bards are good (once the song is established it doesn't use any actions to maintain, so you can cast, attack, whatever while singing). Play the Bard you're given.

Desiderius

Patron

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Play what you like to play. I finished the game IN UNFAIR with a PURE ROLE PLAY NECROMANCER build, without multiclassing and using arguably the worst wizard subclass. Here is my run >> https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...-thassilonian-necromancer-with-videos.140352/

Here is a video of chapter 3 fights.

Even if you are really bad, you can finish in normal with any "vanilla" build. Unless you try to run something atrocious like a low INT wiz.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Don't play Unfair if you're not proficient with the systems. In fact, don't play Unfair untill you know the areas, what enemies to expect and what are their weaknesses. Plus know all possible party synergies, party-wide buffing and debuffing options and stacking rules. In short, don't start with Unfair. It really is... Unfair.
You want a big challenge while not being proficient with the systems? You can try Hard. But it will be HARD. DO NOT START ON UNFAIR.

One problem I can see with your ranged build is that you've dumped Strenght. Ranged weapons do use Dexterity to hit stuff - but Composite Bows still use Strenght to increase the damage per shot (non-composite bows don't scale their damage from any stat). So you should have at least about 14 Str at start.
And no, I don't recommend ranged builds for high difficulty settings. They do have the advantage of getting full attacks on enemies most of the time - because they don't need to move to engage the enemies. But their accuracy is sub-par. Most importantly they don't benefit from Flanking. And that is +2 Attack Bonus at base, +4 Attack with Outflank (which all martials should get ASAP) and +6 AB with Outflank and Freebooter's Bond (unlimited use buff from Freebooter Ranger). A 6 point AB gap is really challenging to close. Even moreso on highest difficulty settings, where enemy Armor Class is bloated.

Yosharian

Arcane

You should play with the mods in my recommended list

Yosharian

Arcane

Don't play Unfair if you're not proficient with the systems. In fact, don't play Unfair untill you know the areas, what enemies to expect and what are their weaknesses. Plus know all possible party synergies, party-wide buffing and debuffing options and stacking rules. In short, don't start with Unfair. It really is... Unfair.
You want a big challenge while not being proficient with the systems? You can try Hard. But it will be HARD. DO NOT START ON UNFAIR.

One problem I can see with your ranged build is that you've dumped Strenght. Ranged weapons do use Dexterity to hit stuff - but Composite Bows still use Strenght to increase the damage per shot (non-composite bows don't scale their damage from any stat). So you should have at least about 14 Str at start.
And no, I don't recommend ranged builds for high difficulty settings. They do have the advantage of getting full attacks on enemies most of the time - because they don't need to move to engage the enemies. But their accuracy is sub-par. Most importantly they don't benefit from Flanking. And that is +2 Attack Bonus at base, +4 Attack with Outflank (which all martials should get ASAP) and +6 AB with Outflank and Freebooter's Bond (unlimited use buff from Freebooter Ranger). A 6 point AB gap is really challenging to close. Even moreso on highest difficulty settings, where enemy Armor Class is bloated.
Counter point: there are numerous items available fairly early on that dramatically boost ranged AB, and a full sneak attack archer with Mirror Bow is one of the most powerful damage dealing archetypes in the game

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What items? Bracers of Archery? The bonus isn't that great and won't stack with a Bard's Inspire Courage (you are using a Bard, aren't you?).

I think there was maybe one nice item in the DLC, but I never got that one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
There's a set of gloves that grants +4 ranged AB available very early
Oh, I see.
In an entirely optional DLC megadungeon.
If you plan to go for it, I guess ranged looks more attractive.

For me the base game has enough content to never bother.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's piss-easy to get, and the Tiefling companion is super useful for a variety of reasons.

There are also a bunch of helms that grant bonuses

Yosharian

Arcane
Armor: Shepherd's Armor (+2 Untyped to AB/dmg on bow attacks)

Gloves: Death From Afar (+4 untyped bonus to ranged weapon attack rolls)

Head: Sharp Eye (+6 Competence to Perception checks, +2 Untyped to ranged attacks)

Wrist: Bracers of the Ruby Phoenix Champion (+1 untyped bonus to Longbows). [this one is endgame]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Don't know why you'd mention the Tiefling companion. That was the 1st DLC, which I have and its fairly integrated into the story (in fact, I often use the Tiefling race).

Yosharian

Arcane
Also if we are talking about content, the megadungeon is way more interesting than a lot of the base game's content and you can do it at any time without being rushed

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Okay, that's quite a collection. Don't think I had most of these items, except for the Shepherd's Armor (which is quite late IF you don't metagame).
Guess they do make archery more attractive.

Yosharian

Arcane
Okay, that's quite a collection. Don't think I had most of these items, except for the Shepherd's Armor (which is quite late IF you don't metagame).
Using Dimension Door and Invisibility in the way they are intended to be used isn't metagaming.
:incline:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Using Dimension Door and Invisibility in the way they are intended to be used isn't metagaming.
Invisibility? Man up, Yosh :P

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, any guide on how to install mods in linux? I wanna re play with races unleashed + call of the wild. I followed it some time ago but forgot.

Yosharian

Arcane
Invisibility? Man up, Yosh :P
Well I was like level 8-ish at the time and I'm playing with modded Insane monster stats, he is actually challenging

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom