Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cael

Arcane
multiclass merc build that would suck to actually level but rapes face at level 20.
This isn't a thing.
Jesus christ just stop posting. It's obviously a thing that you can create a build that has a weak point at low levels but is stronger at higher levels. Classes have level 20 capstone abilities that you can make a whole build around from level 1-19 but not actually use until you hit the level cap. It's not hard to come up with something that you'd rather not spend 95% of the game leveling with but want to play around with at level 20. If you want to do this then you want to hit level 20 in Pitax or even pre-Pitax, not halfway through HatEoT.
Fanbois will always be fanbois.

Now you know why I hate paizhit, lolcat and bugfinder: cuntmaker.

Blackmill

Scholar
Nearly botched it against the Spawn of Rovagug. Managed to blind the aberration with holy word, so the damage was coming in quick, but thinking it was Amiri's turn I accidentally ran my cleric into the melee. She promptly died the next turn, and I had neglected to equip any scrolls of resurrection, so all my healing was gone. But I was able to keep Rovagug's summons neutralized with holy word, and the blind proved enough to finish it off.

It definitely feels like holy word is one of the strongest spells in the game. It has a large AOE, has a powerful and potentially multi-round effect even on a successful save, and enemies are rarely fully immune due to the spell having multiple effects and not being mind affecting. For all that, it's only level 7, but I would take it over the majority of 8th and 9th level spells. The down side of it only affecting non-good creatures doesn't really matter when most enemies aren't good. Worst case, you need to use blasphemy / dictum / word of chaos instead, which are all of little worse in their effects, but not by much.

Cael

Arcane
Nearly botched it against the Spawn of Rovagug. Managed to blind the aberration with holy word, so the damage was coming in quick, but thinking it was Amiri's turn I accidentally ran my cleric into the melee. She promptly died the next turn, and I had neglected to equip any scrolls of resurrection, so all my healing was gone. But I was able to keep Rovagug's summons neutralized with holy word, and the blind proved enough to finish it off.

It definitely feels like holy word is one of the strongest spells in the game. It has a large AOE, has a powerful and potentially multi-round effect even on a successful save, and enemies are rarely fully immune due to the spell having multiple effects and not being mind affecting. For all that, it's only level 7, but I would take it over the majority of 8th and 9th level spells. The down side of it only affecting non-good creatures doesn't really matter when most enemies aren't good. Worst case, you need to use blasphemy / dictum / word of chaos instead, which are all of little worse in their effects, but not by much.
Doesn't Holy Word affect your own party? I usually fill my Level 7 slots with Destruction.

For the Spawn, I had my clerics drop Blade Barrier right on top of him and rammed it with Tyrant on a fully buffed up melee guy. After a couple of rounds, it was chained Destructions and Chain Lightnings.

mondblut

Arcane
Is it a common criticism for 1E that Golarion seems to be like a theme park / Marvel Battle World: Aka Random areas that don`t fit together as a logical functioning world?

Dinosaur Land next to French revolution land next to Horror land next to Crusades land Next to Mad Max wastelands.

And the theme park is set in San Francisco with gay gnome-orc couples all over the place.

Blackmill

Scholar

Doesn't Holy Word affect your own party? I usually fill my Level 7 slots with Destruction.

For the Spawn, I had my clerics drop Blade Barrier right on top of him and rammed it with Tyrant on a fully buffed up melee guy. After a couple of rounds, it was chained Destructions and Chain Lightnings.

You're right, it does say "all creatures", but I don't think Owlcat implemented it that way unless my party was somehow immune to blind. In any case, I still consider it very strong, since selective metamagic only increases the spell slot by 1. There's just not many AOE disables with so few strings attached. Also, aside from weird and the nearly equivalent blasphemy / dictum / word of chaos, it's the only AOE kill spell I know of that doesn't have a limit on the total number of creatures it can kill. A level 20 relic hunter can reach 33 caster level (clerics and oracles can get to 29) with the spell if you have CotW using feats like spell perfection, so even 19-23 HD creatures are saving against the death effect.

Tyrant always seemed like a really strong item, I've just not made a character that would use a flail. Had I kept Harim around, I would probably have him use flails, but I didn't invite him to join me.

Blackmill

Scholar
I ended up refighting the spawn because I forgot to do some important dialogue with the dragon. I noticed that heal doesn't seem to remove the spawn's insanity-like effect. Any one know if there is a way to remove it or prevent it? Or is the idea that, as the spawn of a god, it ignores immunities and the effect can't be removed?

Edit: Maybe it's a bug. I noticed the confused effect is removed by heal, but the character still acts as though confused.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

You're right, it does say "all creatures", but I don't think Owlcat implemented it that way unless my party was somehow immune to blind. In any case, I still consider it very strong, since selective metamagic only increases the spell slot by 1. There's just not many AOE disables with so few strings attached. Also, aside from weird and the nearly equivalent blasphemy / dictum / word of chaos, it's the only AOE kill spell I know of that doesn't have a limit on the total number of creatures it can kill. A level 20 relic hunter can reach 33 caster level (clerics and oracles can get to 29) with the spell if you have CotW using feats like spell perfection, so even 19-23 HD creatures are saving against the death effect.

Tyrant always seemed like a really strong item, I've just not made a character that would use a flail. Had I kept Harim around, I would probably have him use flails, but I didn't invite him to join me.
Only works against non-Good creatures with HD less than your Caster Level. Which unless you've buffed your CL (or turned off EXP sharing) will not affect your allies.

Seriously, how do you play a game and never bother to read the high level spells? The whole point of playing a fast progression class and leveling all that time is to unlock the high level spells. Isn't that the fun of it?
multiclass merc build that would suck to actually level but rapes face at level 20.
This isn't a thing.
Jesus christ just stop posting. It's obviously a thing that you can create a build that has a weak point at low levels but is stronger at higher levels. Classes have level 20 capstone abilities that you can make a whole build around from level 1-19 but not actually use until you hit the level cap. It's not hard to come up with something that you'd rather not spend 95% of the game leveling with but want to play around with at level 20. If you want to do this then you want to hit level 20 in Pitax or even pre-Pitax, not halfway through HatEoT.
Some day you'll play the PF ruleset. It's a good one. They give every class new spells and abilities (and the ones you have improve) as they level in the class unless you're nerfing yourself with all the dips and splashes you learned from 3.5. Wiz can be weakish very early but Sorc has Demoralize and you've got a lot of consumables and wands and what not and you still turn the tide on the hardest fights. Capstones are fun but not generally game-changing.

It is not in fact a thing.

Blackmill

Scholar
Only works against non-Good creatures with HD less than your Caster Level. Which unless you've buffed your CL (or turned off EXP sharing) will not affect your allies.

Seriously, how do you play a game and never bother to read the high level spells? The whole point of playing a fast progression class and leveling all that time is to unlock the high level spells. Isn't that the fun of it?

Not sure what you're responding to. Did you think I was saying the spell affects all enemies regardless of alignment? No, I was confirming that the spell shouldn't discriminate between friend or foe. Maybe I should have produced an exact quote (i.e. "all non-good creature") but I thought the point would be clear. Anyways, it looks like the in-game spell description only mentions enemies, so it seems that Owlcat gave the spell a buff. I don't know if the base game included selective spell, or if that is from CotW, so maybe that explains why.

Some day you'll play the PF ruleset. It's a good one. They give every class new spells and abilities (and the ones you have improve) as they level in the class unless you're nerfing yourself with all the dips and splashes you learned from 3.5. Wiz can be weakish very early but Sorc has Demoralize and you've got a lot of consumables and wands and what not and you still turn the tide on the hardest fights. Capstones are fun but not generally game-changing.

Uh huh. There's no class in this game of 100 classes that suffers from an uneven leveling curve. And there's no reason to multiclass. Ever. Thanks for the great insight into stupidity. Thanks for admitting that capstones CAN be game changing though, which therefore proves you wrong.

Desiderius

Patron

Not sure what you're responding to. Did you think I was saying the spell affects all enemies regardless of alignment? No, I was confirming that the spell shouldn't discriminate between friend or foe. Maybe I should have produced an exact quote (i.e. "all non-good creature") but I thought the point would be clear. Anyways, it looks like the in-game spell description only mentions enemies, so it seems that Owlcat gave the spell a buff. I don't know if the base game included selective spell, or if that is from CotW, so maybe that explains why.
Not you, the question you were responding to. Frustrating that people dismiss most of their spells as garbage and don't look for ways to make them work. They miss a lot of good stuff!

Cael

Arcane

Any guy with proficiency in flails (martial) can use it. The +1 from weapon focus or whatever doesn't really matter, especially since the first hit will more than make up for it. It activates on hit, not on damage, so even a guy who can't get through the DR doesn't matter (although you'd be hard pressed to not get through the DR and still hit the Spawn).

Cael

Arcane
I ended up refighting the spawn because I forgot to do some important dialogue with the dragon. I noticed that heal doesn't seem to remove the spawn's insanity-like effect. Any one know if there is a way to remove it or prevent it? Or is the idea that, as the spawn of a god, it ignores immunities and the effect can't be removed?

Edit: Maybe it's a bug. I noticed the confused effect is removed by heal, but the character still acts as though confused.
Sounds like a bug. I just waited it out, but it didn't affect me as much since I had a high level Cleric with Guarded Hearth and the first thing he did was to drop that GH. This is the only fight I used GH in the entire game, funnily enough.

Desiderius

Patron
Planning to replay this with mods. Mostly wanted to play the Stolen lands encounter mod (is that good?) so I'll add CoTW as well. Any other good shit to put on there?

finished a game with it (along COTW) and honestly i didnt notice any serious change in difficulty as the mod claims.
Lonely Barrow was buffed, that's for sure.

Desiderius

Patron

Sounds like a bug. I just waited it out, but it didn't affect me as much since I had a high level Cleric with Guarded Hearth and the first thing he did was to drop that GH. This is the only fight I used GH in the entire game, funnily enough.
Not a bug. It bypasses immunities. I think the Cloak he drops gives super-Immunity or something. Maybe Haplo remembers.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
CotW fixed Animate Dead so they stick around for a long while. Guess a bunch of these are gonna hang around with me in every dungeon now.

CN4GkDk.png

Desiderius

Patron
They do cost Diamond Dust. Unless you've got Jae along.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
They do cost Diamond Dust. Unless you've got Jae along.
And they can be a little buggy on reload. But the spell's still much stronger than before.

Anyway:

PtWYpM0.png

I just noticed that this agreement doesn't seem to remove elves and shorties from the troll menu -- and I'm totally fine with that!

Blackmill

Scholar
I tried to clear the final area without resting and...

it's hard. I'm sure it's very possible with the right party, but I went through every spell at every slot with a max INT sorcerer, plus all 61 of Amiri's rage, and I only just got past retrieving the second piece of the Apology. Probably killed 40+ high level Fey? Unfortunately, I didn't know I would access to the scroll vendor, and did not stock up beforehand. I imagine a scroll savant wizard would be extremely good if you plan to reach and defeat the Lantern King without resting. A kineticist would also really help with sustain. Once I finish, I might have to replay the last part with a different party, and see what's possible.

Edit: Just finished the game, and wow, that last fight... feels like only very strong builds have any chance of winning.

If your main character can't reliably heal ~100 per turn while dealing significant damage, what can you even do? Maybe a character with evasion (can be provided from a unique ring) and a super high reflex save would be okay?

Edit2: Actually, I made the last fight WAY harder than it needed to be. I thought

That my companions resurrected because of a Time Stop bug, so I just skipped their turns to play the fight as if they were dead, and solo'd the Lantern King with my main. Reading through the wiki, turns out the companions reviving is meant to happen.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

it's hard. I'm sure it's very possible with the right party, but I went through every spell at every slot with a max INT sorcerer, plus all 61 of Amiri's rage, and I only just got past retrieving the second piece of the Apology. Probably killed 40+ high level Fey? Unfortunately, I didn't know I would access to the scroll vendor, and did not stock up beforehand. I imagine a scroll savant wizard would be extremely good if you plan to reach and defeat the Lantern King without resting. A kineticist would also really help with sustain. Once I finish, I might have to replay the last part with a different party, and see what's possible.

Edit: Just finished the game, and wow, that last fight... feels like only very strong builds have any chance of winning.

If your main character can't reliably heal ~100 per turn while dealing significant damage, what can you even do? Maybe a character with evasion (can be provided from a unique ring) and a super high reflex save would be okay?

Edit2: Actually, I made the last fight WAY harder than it needed to be. I thought

That my companions resurrected because of a Time Stop bug, so I just skipped their turns to play the fight as if they were dead, and solo'd the Lantern King with my main. Reading through the wiki, turns out the companions reviving is meant to happen.
Resist Fire, Communal is your best friend in that last battle.

Blackmill

Scholar

In my case, the damage was divine (maybe because of CotW?). I opened with Fiery Body and promptly took ~120 damage. Only a reflex save could reduce the damage. I ended up using the following strategy

1. Quickened True Strike, then Energy Drain using the Grandmaster's Rod for a -24 penalty to saving throws
2. Quickened True Strike, then Scroll of Heal
3. Maximized Disintegrate using a Quicken Rod, then Scroll of Heal
4. Repeat steps 2-3 until victory

Cael

Arcane

In my case, the damage was divine (maybe because of CotW?). I opened with Fiery Body and promptly took ~120 damage. Only a reflex save could reduce the damage. I ended up using the following strategy

1. Quickened True Strike, then Energy Drain using the Grandmaster's Rod for a -24 penalty to saving throws
2. Quickened True Strike, then Scroll of Heal
3. Maximized Disintegrate using a Quicken Rod, then Scroll of Heal
4. Repeat steps 2-3 until victory
It is supposed to be fire. He even yells it when he goes to the last form.

If it is added by a retarded mod, then I will have no clue as I didn't play with mods, and am not going to play the stupid game again. It is almost as bad as the HBS game in terms of speshual snowflakes, made-up OP abilities that was never in the original, and lazy game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom