Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Feedback Thread

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex should do a sensible thread for stuff that might still be included in this game via a patch, or make it into the next Owlcat game. None of that Kickstarter: tell-us-how-to-make-the-game-'cause-you're-all-geniuses shit that InXile and Obsidian tried. Just simple stuff, and then maybe vote 'agree' or 'disagree' on it.

For example:
I hate weapon effects. Weapon effects have sucked on every RPG from day one. If a game makes my character look like he's running around with a big, glowy stick of candy-floss, or two feather dusters in each hand (there's a Duzzt joke in there somewhere) I will actually not equip the weapons.

So an option to turn off weapon enchantment effect would be great.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only thing I want for the RTwP mode is scripting. Ideally like in DA: O or Final Fantasy; the worst case would be scripts like in Pillars-I or Baldur's Gate.
The only thing I want for the turn based mod is to eradicate any possibility to implement it at the design level.

kelkorkesis

Novice
I would like to have more evil choices which are not petty.

I hate weapon effects. Weapon effects have sucked on every RPG from day one. If a game makes my character look like he's running around with a big, glowy stick of candy-floss, or two feather dusters in each hand (there's a Duzzt joke in there somewhere) I will actually not equip the weapons.
One one hand, flaming swords are staple of fantasy. On the other hand, it looks really terrible when you have more than one effect on your weapon. It also doesn't help Kingmaker's effects are rather exaggerated.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The hot-key and keyboard implementation could be improved as per the IE games. E.g.
1. Allow numeric keys tied to party members to be used in the inventory screen. So If I've got potions of resistance, I don't have to select each character with the mouse as I go through each potion/element.
2. Ensure stealth and quick weapon slots are mappable. If this hadn't been implemented as a mod, I wouldn't really replay it over the years.
3. Tie numeric keys (that are mappable to party members) to casting as per the IE games. So when I cast a spell like magic missile (and the casting icon appears) I can press 1-6 and cast it on a party member.
4. Not as important, but would be a real bonus: give each party member their own inventory.

I think that if you weren't making full use of almost every key on the keyboard while playing the IE games...then you were a bit retarded. Or at least not playing the game as efficiently.

On another unrelated note: allow all tool-tips to be turned off completely. At some point I'm gonna memorize all the spell icons, and ability icons. It's incredibly irritating to see this constant flash of information as you pan your mouse over the game. I'm aware of the settings, and know about the inspect icon. It would be great to just turn it all off.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
They ought to create a tutorial dungeon for new players to play in. A means to familiarize people with the mechanics. They also need to improve the encyclopedia. The encyclopedia contains very basic information.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I was thinking that it would be great if we had x4 'weapon style' slots as well as quick slots. So imagine there was a difficulty setting (hint, hint) that gave us enemy BG resistances - slashing for ooze, blunt; golems & undead, etc - you'd be more inclined to take slashing, piercing, and blunt weapons.

So if I had a sword & board character, he might have crossbow, longsword, shortsword, mace in his quick weapon slots. But why does he have to carry x3 shields? Couldn't I just have x1 shield and designated that to the last 3 weapon style slots?.

Then you might be a bit quirky and build a character who had x1 longbow, x1 two-handed style bastard sword, x2 bastard swords two-weapon style, and magus x1 bastard sword one handed with spell combat. I can currently do that but need x3 bastard swords.

If there were only two really good bastard swords in the game, it's just a shame that I mechanically need 3 swords to pull that off. But it's not really against the rules that my character could choose to use 1 or 2 swords as the situation demands.

deuxhero

Arcane
PF actually has plenty of resistant enemies. Problem is Kingmaker had a really small bestiary so this didn't show off often aside from cold iron. Notable non-cold iron cases are the were-creatures that resist everything except silver/mithiral and Skeletons that resist non-blunt weapons.

Trashos

Arcane
...and golems need adamantine, and many magical beasts need cold iron. I think Kingmaker does decently with resistances, but it would be even better if different types of armor were best against different types of damage.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Make the spell ranges = pnp spell ranges.

horrid wilting range needs to be 400 feet + 40 / CL

Is very hard to use the spell without killing your entire party.

The hot-key and keyboard implementation could be improved as per the IE games. E.g.

IE games are AWFUL to work with many spells. I mean, on NWN i can let all of my most used spells on F1~F12, metamagic spells and buffs on SHIFT F1~F12, and situational spells on CTRL F1~F12. On IE games, i need to click on the spell icon, then in a single line, the spells are shown with only icons and if i forgot what the spell is, i need to let my mouse cursor above the icon for few seconds. Spontaneous casters suffers a lot on IE.

Erebus

Arcane
So an option to turn off weapon enchantment effect would be great.

Alternatively, such effects could be visible only during combat.

They also need to improve the encyclopedia. The encyclopedia contains very basic information.

Yes, the encyclopedia should really contain a lot more information than it does. A list of all feats (including their prerequisites) and a list of all negative conditions and their effects, for instance.

On a different subject, the magical objects that can be reforged only if you gather their 15-20 parts (all parts being identical and useless by themselves) are annoying and not fun at all. It would be much better to follow the example of BG2 : either have magical items that are only split into 2-3 parts (Bow of Gesen, the Wave halberd, the Silver Sword...), or magical items that work as soon as you find them, but can be improved (the Mace of Disruption, Carsomyr in ToB...), or magical items that work as soon as you find them, and can be combined to become something more powerful (Crom Faeyr).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
...and golems need adamantine, and many magical beasts need cold iron. I think Kingmaker does decently with resistances, but it would be even better if different types of armor were best against different types of damage.

I also meant stuff like sneak attacks on undead, fire to kill ooze, etc...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom