Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the greatest CRPG ever made.

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Saying PK is on the level of Pillars of Eternity is an insult. PoE is bsb garbage compared to PK.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I haven't encountered any game-breaking bugs. Sure, it has some issues, but probably less then people make it out to be. Half the time when people complain about bugs, they just don't understand the system or it's rules. That, or they are just reinforcing their preconceived notion based on what they've heard before.
I haven's seen it myself therefore it doesn't exist

Gregz

Arcane
Kingmaker has the potential to be the GOAT if 2 things happen:

1) Owlcat continues to be diligent post-release by dragnetting all of the major bugs and problems, including fixing the long load times and memory leaks.

2) A very devoted modder spends a few years ironing out all of the wonkyness. Allowing things like (crafting, fast travel in town, no encumbrance, respec, change portrait, RNG encounters giving better XP, remove annoying barking toy dogs + 1000 other ease of use, quality of life, or common sense changes).

Last edited:
I'm actually glad there's no fucking crafting in Kingmaker. The only way I'd like it was if it was closer to tabletop crafting, where it's more a matter of having the associated feats and inserting gold/XP/time and then a magic item pops out the other end of your wizard. No picking up ore, no picking up gems, no cluttering up my already cluttered up inventory with garbage that I may or may not ever fucking use, just take the feats if you want to craft and if you've got the feats then it'll cost you X amount of gold and Y amount of XP and take Z amount of days.

It'd also work with the artisans shit too of course. Don't even bother adding the feats for the player's party, just have it so once you advance in the game a bit you can get people to make shit for you without the XP cost and a bit higher gold cost. That way you can pick whatever kind of weapon you want (Like darts) and focus your character around it and you'll know you'll still be able to get some over the course of the campaign.

Sykar

Arcane
Think of this as the release of Arcanum, but in 2018 with devs who can and are actively fixing the game. We have a new Arcanum on our hands, but one that is going to be fixed by the devs themselves. Pure incline.

I was able to finish Arcanum withing a week after release despite the bugs. From what I read about PF:KM it was hardly possible to progress past act 4 which is around mid game afaik.

Deleted Member 16721

I was able to finish Arcanum withing a week after release despite the bugs. From what I read about PF:KM it was hardly possible to progress past act 4 which is around mid game afaik.

People have already finished the game according to Steam and howlongtobeat.com. Some people get bugs and others don't. I didn't have any gamebreaking bugs and I'm 240 hours into it (with 2 different characters and some AFK time). I think it's pretty much stable and able to be beaten now.

Gregz

Arcane
I'm actually glad there's no fucking crafting in Kingmaker. The only way I'd like it was if it was closer to tabletop crafting, where it's more a matter of having the associated feats and inserting gold/XP/time and then a magic item pops out the other end of your wizard. No picking up ore, no picking up gems, no cluttering up my already cluttered up inventory with garbage that I may or may not ever fucking use, just take the feats if you want to craft and if you've got the feats then it'll cost you X amount of gold and Y amount of XP and take Z amount of days.

It'd also work with the artisans shit too of course. Don't even bother adding the feats for the player's party, just have it so once you advance in the game a bit you can get people to make shit for you without the XP cost and a bit higher gold cost. That way you can pick whatever kind of weapon you want (Like darts) and focus your character around it and you'll know you'll still be able to get some over the course of the campaign.

Sounds like you do want crafting, as long as it's implemented well, which is what i said.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Think of this as the release of Arcanum, but in 2018 with devs who can and are actively fixing the game. We have a new Arcanum on our hands, but one that is going to be fixed by the devs themselves. Pure incline.

I wasn't even able to play Arcanum for the first couple weeks. The whole display was massively fucked up on my machine. When Troika's games didn't work, they really didn't work. I would've loved it if I could've gotten even a tenth of the way through Arcanum or Bloodlines on release.

Sykar

Arcane

I wasn't even able to play Arcanum for the first couple weeks. The whole display was massively fucked up on my machine. When Troika's games didn't work, they really didn't work. I would've loved it if I could've gotten even a tenth of the way through Arcanum or Bloodlines on release.

Bloodlines had one major bug during map transition at the end of the visit of the vampire hunter basis which you could do manually and bypass. Otherwise the game was finishable. While both games were plagued by bugs I had no major difficulties finishing them both withing a week or two after release.

The game I do remember which was almost unfinishable was ToEE mainly due to constant corruption of saves even if you had a dozen or so.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah, PS:T is better. Original Fallouts too.

It's better then Baldur's Gate and the NWNs though, and that is something.
Pretty much on par with Pillars of Eternity. Impressive, considering the relatively small budget.

I'd rather look at the loading bar of Kingmaker than play POE.

Deleted Member 16721

Sometimes, just for a moment, I forget what a complete fucking moron you are, Fluent.

What I simply meant by that is that Kingmaker is in the same realm of depth as Arcanum, and also buggy at release, but this time with active devs fixing it. They didn't really do that back when Arcanum released, so anyone with half a brain cell can see what I mean by that statement. Apparently your half was taking a nap at the time.

jf8350143

Liturgist
The most fun I have had in the game is creating my characters. So no, it's not the greatest CRPG ever made, although the character creation is ton of fun, much more than I can get from a lot of other games.

Deleted Member 16721

I know this is what you meant. See my previous statement.

Arcanum is deeper, true. But have you played Kingmaker? Between the added kingdom management stuff and character creation, it is in the same realm as Arcanum, i.e. a top 5 complex & deep CRPG. It also applies that Arcanum was released as buggy (worse than P:K) but the devs are actively fixing P:K, hence the similarity. P:K is no slouch in the depth department, if you aren't aware. I've spent over 200 hours with it and have seen all sorts of C&C, skill checks and multiple outcomes that only the best NWN modules even come close to.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Arcanum is deeper, true."

Is it? I love Arcanum but how is it 'deeper' than KM?

GinsengSamurai

Literate
My save games were erased, my second party bugged with infinite healing and animal companions, and my third party bugged so the story would not progress.

I really, really want to like this game. But it's like playing Russian Roulette right now.

Is it a crap-game-in-the-process-of-being-good or is it a crap-game-in-the-process-of-being-a-crap-game? Many games unfortunately fall to the second, like Warhammer DoW 3 in my opinion. It's a neat little game if it had a different brand attached to it, but terrible as a W40k DoW game.

I have been eyeing Pathfinder for a long time, if it's anything like Arcanum, but so far, I'm getting major public mitigation on recommending it.

Deleted Member 16721

"Arcanum is deeper, true."

Is it? I love Arcanum but how is it 'deeper' than KM?

It's close. P:K has a ton of roleplaying ability like Arcanum does. Tons of C&C, alignment/moral choices, the kingdom stuff is deep, lots of multiple resolutions to situations that can have a major impact later and so on. I haven't played Arcanum to death to know everything about it, but P:K is up there among the deepest CRPGs I've played in terms of roleplaying, C&C, skill checks, character creation, etc..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom