Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #11: Characters and Animation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alexey Drobyshevsky; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The Pathfinder: Kingmaker Reddit AMA took place on Friday. A number of new details about the game were revealed, including details about the extent of Chris Avellone's involvement with its development. In short, it's not as large as we'd like it to be, although he's definitely not short on enthusiasm. You can read our impressions here, and an enterprising user on the Paizo forums has put together a summary of the entire session. But now we move on. Today's Kickstarter update introduces Owlcat technical director Alexey Drobyshevsky, who has the most amazing shirt. He's here to talk about Kingmaker's character models, inventory and animation in a six minute video, which offers a good look at the game's character UI.

Impressively, Kingmaker's character models appear to visually display nearly every item a character has equipped, including the potions on their belt and the contents of all four of their weapon set slots. Has any other RPG done that before?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Impressively, Kingmaker's character models appear to visually display nearly every item a character has equipped, including the potions on their belt and the contents of all four of their weapon set slots. Has any other RPG done that before?
For a 3D game that's not really a big deal. PoE could do it easily too.

Mark Richard

Arcane
While you're still reeling from the shirt, he delivers the knockout blow in the form of a perfectly timed Shrek reference.

For a 3D game that's not really a big deal. PoE could do it easily too.

I remember "all equipped items represented on the model" being part of van Buren promotional interviews years ago and me being p. excited because I was an idiot and thought they were still talking about the old engine's 2d sprites

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't know. In UE4 you just need a socket on the skeleton of the character, part where you store the item and then you just put the mesh there. On youtube there are loot of tutorials for this and i have done this already for fun.
But they do have a lot of bones, so they can make something there. I hope that they go for the different muscles size for different strength of characters, but this can cause also a lot of problems with clipping.

Neanderthal

Arcane

Sacred, it even showed amulets an rings on characters.

PrettyDeadman

I want removable bodyparts and big dick slider. Elven wood peglegs are so much more superior to regular legs + daedric dentures should give a huge boost to charisma. Importance of big dick slider doesn't need explanation.
I am willing to donate $96 for this to be implemented (and recieve other bonuses).

Last edited by a moderator:

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Ok, so i had a plenty of free time and replayed Rage of Mages 1+2 and Evil Islands half year ago and although i knew the story it still was pretty enjoyable. I see that these are the guys that worked on some those titles and even their graphic style similar to the Evil Islands one. So i'm really interesting in this game. Chris on board is just a bonus.

Also the setting might be interesting. As i get it Pathfinder derived from DnD 3.5?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We need an emote names 'A sprinkle of Avellone' which could be used to mark all these projects where he is used mostly as a marketing tool, but where his contribution does not actually make the game anywhere near as good as it would have been, were he heavily involved (Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, probably this game and maybe even Original Sin 2).

I will leave to your imagination what that icon could look like.

Shin

Cipher
Ok, so i had a plenty of free time and replayed Rage of Mages 1+2 and Evil Islands half year ago and although i knew the story it still was pretty enjoyable. I see that these are the guys that worked on some those titles and even their graphic style similar to the Evil Islands one. So i'm really interesting in this game. Chris on board is just a bonus.

Also the setting might be interesting. As i get it Pathfinder derived from DnD 3.5?

from wikipedia:

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) that was first published in 2009 by Paizo Publishing. It extends and modifies the Revised 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game rules published by Wizards of the Coast under the Open Game License. Pathfinder RPG is intended to be backward-compatible with D&D version 3.5.

The Paizo Publishing company had been publishing Dungeon and Dragon magazines, which were about the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) role-playing game. Paizo was publishing under contract with Wizards of the Coast, who held the rights to D&D. Wizards of the Coast chose not to renew the contract in early 2007, and Paizo began publishing the Pathfinder periodical line as a replacement.[1] In August 2007, Wizards of the Coast announced the pending release of the 4th edition of Dungeons & Dragons, which replaced version 3.5. Many of the staff at Paizo were concerned about the more restrictive Game System License the 4th edition was being released under.[2]Instead of continuing to support D&D, Paizo released Pathfinder as a modified version of the 3.5 edition game, under the Open Game License used by the older version.

So it is derived from DnD 3 but it is also compatible with DnD 3.5. Or something.

what I'm wondering is how much DnD (derived) 'lore' is in Pathfinder....

Quantomas

Savant
We need an emote names 'A sprinkle of Avellone' which could be used to mark all these projects where he is used mostly as a marketing tool, but where his contribution does not actually make the game anywhere near as good as it would have been, were he heavily involved (Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, probably this game and maybe even Original Sin 2).

I will leave to your imagination what that icon could look like.
From what I gather MCA roughly has the same involvement with Kingmaker as he had with PoE for which he wrote two companions and contributed to the design (and he worked fulltime there). Also, he recently said that the meetings were overrated and not very efficient (source: podcast). For ToN and D:OS2 it is merely one companion, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

from wikipedia:

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) that was first published in 2009 by Paizo Publishing. It extends and modifies the Revised 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game rules published by Wizards of the Coast under the Open Game License. Pathfinder RPG is intended to be backward-compatible with D&D version 3.5.

The Paizo Publishing company had been publishing Dungeon and Dragon magazines, which were about the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) role-playing game. Paizo was publishing under contract with Wizards of the Coast, who held the rights to D&D. Wizards of the Coast chose not to renew the contract in early 2007, and Paizo began publishing the Pathfinder periodical line as a replacement.[1] In August 2007, Wizards of the Coast announced the pending release of the 4th edition of Dungeons & Dragons, which replaced version 3.5. Many of the staff at Paizo were concerned about the more restrictive Game System License the 4th edition was being released under.[2]Instead of continuing to support D&D, Paizo released Pathfinder as a modified version of the 3.5 edition game, under the Open Game License used by the older version.

So it is derived from DnD 3 but it is also compatible with DnD 3.5. Or something.

what I'm wondering is how much DnD (derived) 'lore' is in Pathfinder....

The "Revised 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game rules" is D&D 3.5

When it comes to "lore" Pathfinder has mostly the same monster lore as D&D, it has the same basic cosmology with Material planes, Elemental planes, Upper and Lower outer planes etc, and much the sane basic classes that have the same relationship to the world as in D&D.

anybody have any idea what the dude is saying starting at 3:17 in the video?

He says something that sounds liike "in kingmaker all the characters have ___________, not just the others" It sounds like he is saying 'lettuce' or maybe 'legs', but neither of those make any sense in context. I have listened to it maybe 10 times, I can't stop hearing 'lettuce', and I can't figure it out based on what he is talking about at the time (armor, breastplates) etc...

edt: oh, perhaps he is saying 'layers'? He was talking about layers of clothing and armor. If that is the case, I still don't know what 'not just the others' means. The other what? players, npc's, games? Are there games where some people have layers but not the player controlled character? I don't understand what that means.

I am probably obsessing too much about this..I just want to know what he said though.

its pretty cool that the weapons and items in the quick slots and weapon slots actually appear on the character hanging from belts or whatever. It looks great, I can't recall another computer RPG game that actually represents all of that in such an accurate way.

PrettyDeadman

anybody have any idea what the dude is saying starting at 3:17 in the video?

He says something that sounds liike "in kingmaker all the characters have ___________, not just the others" It sounds like he is saying 'lettuce' or maybe 'legs', but neither of those make any sense in context. I have listened to it maybe 10 times, I can't stop hearing 'lettuce', and I can't figure it out based on what he is talking about at the time (armor, breastplates) etc...

edt: oh, perhaps he is saying 'layers'? He was talking about layers of clothing and armor. If that is the case, I still don't know what 'not just the others' means. The other what? players, npc's, games? Are there games where some people have layers but not the player controlled character? I don't understand what that means.

I am probably obsessing too much about this..I just want to know what he said though.
layers, not letuce.
ogres, not others.
some nerd pathfinder humour I guess. peopel who swim in those circles seemed to understand the joke.

I think its from this:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom