Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #17: Character Screen Preview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

In today's Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter update, Owlcat give us a look at their plans for the character screen UI. For this element of the game, they've chosen an approach that's quite different from Pillars of Eternity. It's expansive and stylized rather than compact, with five tabs to hold all of the information. The most interesting of these is the "Class" tab, which aims to display a kind of timeline of all of a character's past and future development options to help players plan their builds. Here is Owlcat's description of the tabs, along with a couple of concept images that demonstrate their aesthetic.

Let's start our tour with the first tab, one that contains general information about the character. The Central part of this screen shows alignment (and we follow the alignment system from the Core Rulebook, as you can see). All the decisions that changed the main character's alignment lead to the line appearing in the circle, showing consequences and shifts in alignment. A log below the circle provides additional information and reminds you of the decisions you've made on your journey. Computer RPGs are all about decisions, it is a pillar for this genre, and it deserves representation at the center of the screen of your character.

Our companions are far less flexible in their alignment, they follow it, and only rare events can force them to evaluate (and probably change) their views. Because of that, we felt that it will be inappropriate to use the same amount of space to depict alignment for them. Their central block is all about their personal quest, the journey they have in the Stolen Lands. You can see important events and decisions they made as well as their next goal.

The second screen is all about abilities of the character, class features as well as feats - basically an encyclopedia of the character's capabilities. Take note of the left-most block of information; it does not change between most of the tabs and contains information that is frequently needed or relevant to other tabs (like Stats, Experience or Level). This is also a concept screen for the Abilities tab and does not represent build of any character or abilities and feats that are existing in the game.

The third screen provides information on the martial prowess of the character, to hit rolls, different kinds of AC, damage from attacks... As you can see, there is no magic counterpart of this screen, and that is on purpose. We discussed this a lot and decided that it will be more convenient to see that information on the special tab on the screen dedicated to selecting spells and meta-magic. So there is a dedicated tab in the spellbook (or book of prayers for divine casters) devoted to the stats and values important for magic-users.

The fourth screen is the most difficult one to develop, as we want to showcase all of the possibilities for character development, those that were already selected as well as those that are far in the future. We want the player to be able to plan the character in detail. In fact, we are hoping to introduce a feature, that will allow leveling up a character with a single-click, if all of the abilities were selected in advance. We spent a lot of time putting all of the information on just one screen and organizing it in such way that does not make your head explode just from looking at it.

So we came to this screen as a result of that search. It is simple enough if a character has just one class while still showing elements of the development both in the past and in the future. In case of multiclassing (especially if there are 3 or more classes), the screen becomes more complicated, but still convenient, as it shows most of the directions in which such a character could be developed. Please note that what you see below is a concept of the screen, not a screenshot from the game and can have some inconsistencies.

The last screen is devoid of game mechanical information; it is all about the story of the character: biography, alignment, personal quest and of course full body portrait.
Owlcat are at their most authentic when talking about this kind of nuts & bolts RPG design. You may also be interested in Sunday's update about the system they've developed for creating spells and spell effects.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like it. When was the last time any studio created such an in-depth character sheet... let alone four pages of it. Usually the exact opposite dumbed down "stat" screen (insert: Besthesda here). Now we still have to see if all that info actually does anything within the game-play itself but it is encouraging.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I think this is a mistake, not because it's a bad idea from a design perspective, but because it will intimidate people and scare them off from purchasing the game, making it a failure and meaning that any potential sequels or expansions are not made.

Drowed

Arcane
I'm really liking this. Sadly, I don't think this will reach many (if any) stretch goals beyond the first two.

this game is looking better and better. they are actually innovating, and adding features to add more complexity and depth instead of the 'streamlining' crap we always see that in the end turns off their primary customers to try and attract 'casuals' or whatever who won't really like or understand the systems no matter what is changed or simplified...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
those character screen are a work of art. it looks good and looks pretty functional and informative.

i thought Pillar's screen are pretty great for itself, but this just blow PoE's out of the water

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this is a mistake, not because it's a bad idea from a design perspective, but because it will intimidate people and scare them off from purchasing the game, making it a failure and meaning that any potential sequels or expansions are not made.
That's what you have Kickstarter for.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
112 hp seems high for a 7 wizard/3 fighter.

Even with max hp on level up, that seems strangely high.

Oasis

Novice
Did they ever give the specific reason they chose RTwP? I happen to like RTwP so I don't mind, and I like TB as well. But if I was Paizo, I think I would prefer they followed the core rulebook to a T because as slick as this looks, I think it would make this game the best possible way to learn the rules of the rather complicated PnP game. After a couple of playthroughs one could probably join a local or online tabletop group, having never played a PnP game before, and hit the ground running (or at the very least jogging). Even as the game stands it will obviously help with crossover, but why not go all out?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did they ever give the specific reason they chose RTwP? I happen to like RTwP so I don't mind, and I like TB as well. But if I was Paizo, I think I would prefer they followed the core rulebook to a T because as slick as this looks, I think it would make this game the best possible way to learn the rules of the rather complicated PnP game. After a couple of playthroughs one could probably join a local or online tabletop group, having never played a PnP game before, and hit the ground running (or at the very least jogging). Even as the game stands it will obviously help with crossover, but why not go all out?

Probably to appeal to NWN/BG fans.

Paizo probably cares more about the secondary interest in their other products than the game being an accurate simulation of the ruleset.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
The updates are really inspiring, yes, but two fundamental flaws are still in - RTwP and fugly art.

skyst

Augur
112 hp seems high for a 7 wizard/3 fighter.

Even with max hp on level up, that seems strangely high.

It is. But as ArchAngel noted, the KS update claims that much of the information on the sheets is there as a placeholder. If anyone cares, that 7 wizard/3 fighter should have 85 hp and the saving throws are also all wrong. However, the fighter character, Good Baron, is pretty accurate to Pathfinder rules as far as I can tell; the hp is correct for a level 5 fighter with the toughness feat and appropriate favored class bonuses.

I'm starting to (cautiously) suspect that this might be a good game.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
I'm positively in love with those character screen mock-ups.
:love:
The alignment development in particular I find a nice touch.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I think abandoning numbers and going with a geometric representation of stats would have been much better and less intimidating.

BilboBaggins

Educated

"5 Stars" - RPG Codex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom