Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Stage 2 Alpha Test Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The initial release of the Pathfinder: Kingmaker backer alpha back in September was kept under NDA and so nobody ever saw anything of it, which was pretty dumb in my opinion. The new version of the alpha, which Owlcat call the "stage 2 alpha test" in the game's latest Kickstarter update, was released this week, and thankfully this time they've invited people to livestream it. Among said livestreamers is the Codex's resident radio show host and LPer Shane Stacks, who has already recorded two episodes of gameplay. The announcement email he received from Owlcat tells us a little bit about what the new version of the alpha contains, but it's best to just see for yourself:

Have you got what it takes to rule a kingdom? With the help of your advisors you take care of the affairs of your subjects and communicate with delegates of the neighboring kingdoms. But it's not just all politics! Trolls, bandits, and other dangerous beasts are threatening the lands and it is up to you to end their threat. Explore, engage in real-time strategic combat, discover treasure and ancient artifacts, and become the ruler of the Stolen Lands!

But you won't be undertaking this adventure alone – many companions will join you on your journey, lending their strength to yours. Together, you can conquer any foe and overcome the greatest challenges. And they're not just soulless puppets - like you, they have their own story, goals, and motivations! Talk to them, get to know them by the campfire during your adventures. Watch them become your loyal friends - or turn on you if you betray their trust.

You won't get the complete set of abilities and spells planned for the final release version. Here is a quick look at some of the things you can look forward to in the Alpha build:
  • A first look at the Kingdom feature - Kingdom events, councilor management
  • 20+ hours of playable content from the first 3 chapters of the game
  • 14 classes (including new ones - Inquisitor, Magus, Monk, Paladin, Sorcerer, Druid, Bard)
  • All six core races (dwarves, elves, gnomes, half-orcs, halflings, humans)
  • Meet 3 new companions, who will join you on your adventure, including Nok-Nok designed by Chris Avellone
  • Raise your party to level 10 and choose new abilities and spells as your heroes get ever more powerful
  • Use a wide selection of spells for each spellcasting class up to character level 10, with more to come in the final release
  • Master feat chains like Two-Weapon-Fighting or Spell Focus
  • Fight a variety of creatures in the Stolen Lands as well as challenging boss battles
  • Overcome dangerous traps as you explore the Stolen Lands and their deadly dungeons
So, what are you waiting for? Golarion awaits!

In other news, our $4000+ pledge to the Kingmaker crowdfunding campaign means we get to help design a quest in the game, and apparently it's now in an advanced enough stage of development that Owlcat want to know our idea. Unfortunately we have no idea what our idea is, so if you like what you see in these videos, feel free to suggest something here.

Gecos

Learned
Digging the character creation screen that allows you to plan ahead to level 20 without reading online about feats and abilities.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like that this is slower paced. I'm not sure about the graphical style, but I guess that I'll get used to it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Digging the character creation screen that allows you to plan ahead to level 20 without reading online about feats and abilities.
:powergaming intensifies:

I'm hyped anyway.

Looking at the video, some of the feats/etc seem to miss descriptions, but it's an alpha so no big deal I guess.

Andhaira

Arcane
Damn this game looks sexy. Fun lets play, but spend less time fiddling around and pausing every second and more time playing plz.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPG Codex Pillars of Eternity Disappointment Savior Syndrome, wherein every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity automatically gains credibility and becomes the object of hopes that it will be the game that finally washes away the taste of Pillars of Eternity. :D

vonAchdorf

Arcane
RPG Codex Pillars of Eternity Disappointment Savior Syndrome, wherein every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity and not made by Beamdog automatically gains credibility and becomes the object of hopes that it will be the game that finally washes away the taste of Pillars of Eternity. :D

DeepOcean

Arcane
RPG Codex Pillars of Eternity Disappointment Savior Syndrome, wherein every RTwP RPG that isn't Pillars of Eternity automatically gains credibility and becomes the object of hopes that it will be the game that finally washes away the taste of Pillars of Eternity. :D
They only need to not be pretentious fools filled with hot air and just copy Pathfinder, if they do this, then yes, it won't be hard to be better than PoE.

for me its entirely based on the underlying rule base the games use. If PoE had used the same game system and world that Kingmaker is using it would completely change the equation. But instead its based on some total and complete crap that ruins the entire experience. Can't believe they wasted all that effort to design their own shit rule system. They could have cut off a year of development and had a much more entertaining game on top of it...instead we got some dude making a game for a few autists on some obscure website.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They only need to not be pretentious fools filled with hot air and just copy Pathfinder, if they do this, then yes, it won't be hard to be better than PoE.

Sure. Things that seem plausible to me right now:

1) This game will be better than PoE1.

2) This game will even be better in some ways than PoE2 (while being smaller or more limited in other ways/overall).

But what I definitely don't see here is a game that's aiming to be very much unlike PoE. They're pretty obviously imitating it in many ways, not just visually but also in terms of writing style with prose etc. And Pathfinder/3E means active abilities, attacks of opportunity and other things that some people disliked in PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom