Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Thonius, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Xamenos Magister Patron

Xamenos
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've always intended to write one. And from what little I've seen of the beta, it'll be much longer than my Kingmaker comparison post.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Create a thread about it. Posts tend to get lost in these big threads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They have no abilities. There is no "build." Playing EK is throwing up your hands and admitting the game is too much for you.

As for the action economy issue as someone who likes playing Crusaders of course you fight with the BAB and buff with the fast spell progression, but what Arcane buff is it that you want so badly to get to that you'd sacrifice all the abilities that make other martials worth playing?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Don't get too down on Paizo. I use d20 extensively to figure out P:K and Wrath and it looks like a helluva game to play. Owlcat doesn't depart that far on the nuts and bolts.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Mythic path is probably the unique example of a TT rule deviation which improved the game. Tabletop games are social experience, so things must be fun for the group. CRPG's are solo experience, so things must be fun for the player. I an loving the Lich mythic path, but I don't think that it would work on TT. Deviation of rules is 99% of the time is to take out cool stuff, this is probably the unique case where it is used to add cool stuff.

Also, reached chapter 4. The final battle of CH 3 was quite troublesome but fun. My spellbook

[​IMG]

The chapter 4 is quite interesting. But I believe that I can't share details about chapter 4. Not even under spoiler tag.

I always played with a small party. With no XP share till lv 12 and with XP share after it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Pay attention to more than two stats. Arcanist Rays may be better than they look. Bombs similar but most classes have some tools that get around those two. If not there are always items.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    There are a lot of spells and abilities that buff Spell Pen, starting with the obvious Mythic Spell Pen. No reason not to be in the high 20s by that point.

^ Top  
  8. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    The Lich buffs with 30 CL?

^ Top  
  9. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I want giant mythic path. We starting gnome-size and getting BIGGER with each level. And then go and laugh at Victor's lich for being manlet.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. LabRat Learned

LabRat
    Rakshasa mythic path look good for Lawful Evil Sorcerer character.
    [​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I'd say they are mediocre warriors and mediocre mages. Melee/mage combos work only when the melee side is very good and you use the mage side to buff that to godly levels. EKs get very rudimentary melee abilities and you are better off casting damaging spells than letting melee consume your actions in any given turn. The Spell Critical feat they gain at level 10 is okay (if you get a crit) and I'd say it's the only cool thing the EK gets, but you need to heavily invest in an otherwise mediocre class.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Played sorc/EK mostly for melee/ranged touch spells such as flame arrow etc. And general aoe shennanigans. Was really fun

^ Top  
  13. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Flame Arrow isn’t Pathfinder lol. Exactly my point.

It’s in CotW but it isn’t a Touch spell. Y’all still playing the games in your head not ready for this one.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iluvcheezcake Liturgist

Iluvcheezcake
    Last time i played was over a year ago, but you know very well what i mean. Or do you? Hmmmmm

^ Top  
  16. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    I love playing EK in Kingmaker and I will probably love playing it in WotR. It's just a class that's particularly dear to me and with which I always have a lot of fun, but more in a "let's try to make this work" way than in a "let's build the most optimal character" way. The game is perfectly playable even with a character with no feature apart from its spells, and you still have 5 other characters that you can optimize.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    Eldritch knight?
    How you would buuld one?

^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Innsmouth Cement and Concrete Pvt Limited

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    If this game is anything like Kingmaker, the correct way to build an Eldritch Knight is to play a Magus with zero Eldritch Knight levels. The EK is an anachronistic heritage of D&D 3.x, where you needed prestige classes to play a fighter/caster hybrid. Since in Pathfinder these hybrids already exist as base classes, there's really no point to it. I mean, yes, you get a different spell list, if that's what you're into.

But if you're really stubborn, the basic entry options are Paladin 2/Sorcerer 6, Fighter 1/Wizard 5, or just Wizard 5 if the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat still gives proficiency with all the weapons.

AND IF OWLCAT IS LISTENING, they really should homebrew a new Eldritch Knight taking inspiration from the 3.5 Abjurant Champion. THANK YOU OWLCAT, VERY COOL.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Btw is there any SAMURAI class in Wrath?

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    fighter with exotic weapon

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MrMarbles Arbiter

MrMarbles
    Those spell icons look like a huge upgrade from what we got in PF:K. Huh, maybe this game won't be shit at all...

^ Top  
  23. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Check JOTUN class https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/rite-publishing/jotun-paragon-class/

He becomes large at lv 3, huge at lv 10, Gargantuan at 16 and Colossal at lv 20. Also gain a lot of STR/CON and some supernatural abilities. OwlCat could make it into a mythic path.

I picked mythic spell penetration but IDK why, my spell penetration din't raised. Was supposed to be 23 not 19,

• No No x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Do these include automatic resizing of outfits, trinkets and armors? Dude's in for logistic pain otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    sir this is a beta's

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.