Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Thonius, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Non-Edgy Gamer Arcane Patron

Non-Edgy Gamer
    Strap Yourselves In
    They're a shorthand.

It's like if I say you're short, I'm not specifying your exact height, but I'm saying that you're shorter than average for classification purposes.

You may not think of yourself as short, but if I create a spell that kills all manlets within a certain radius, you'd best make your saving throws right quick. :M

Not all NPCs are mages or clerics. Even if they were, casting know alignment is basically like forcing someone to let them read your mind. It's an invasion of privacy and will probably get you punched in the face, assuming they even recognize it and don't assume you're trying to curse them or something.

A Paladin can use detect evil, but that only gives him a vague sense of an evil aura, not an understanding of why it's there. Attacking random people because you *think* they're evil is pretty stupid and not in character for a lawful being.

Maybe Rejiek Hidesman is evil because he's the serial killer. Maybe he's evil because he kicks kittens in his spare time. You don't know. Hence why you'll be chided by the officer for just confronting him without evidence, but praised if you determined his guilt for a fact beforehand.

It's a world where good and evil exist and are somewhat quantifiable, not a cartoon where everyone writes good/evil on their resume.
    Most of the time, when I hear complaints about alignments, it's because people either don't understand them, or want to be a munchkin and do whatever they want in a setting with zero consequence or even the attempt at roleplaying an character.

Alignments are there as a mechanic to aid in roleplaying, to give substance to your character and NPCs, and to create reactivity from the world.

How do you know if you can wield Thor's hammer? You have to be worthy, right? But how is a DM (or a game) supposed to fairly and impartially judge whether or not you're worthy? He could read through all his notes and tally all of your actions, try to guess at the motivations of your character, even create a custom scoring system...or he could just check your alignment, assuming it hasn't changed over the course of your playthrough, and see whether or not it's Lawful Good at that point.

Again, it's a shorthand. A tool.
    Planescape: Torment, Mask of the Betrayer too at times iirc.

Most game devs are focus on making games using the mechanics, not showcasing them and building a story around them. This is the correct approach btw.

Again, these concepts are there for quantification and structure. It's there to help the world react to your decisions, for you to quantify the sort of character you'll be roleplaying and for the DM (or the game) to know how to interpret your actions and who you are as a character.

Obviously, all of this can be done well or poorly, depending on the DM/developer. A bad DM will try to force your alignment on you, chide you for not roleplaying, make the entire world seem to know your alignment rather than a few special characters, monsters or items. A good one will present consequences for your choices, even potentially shifting your alignment because of a pattern of actions outside of your alignment. Such a change could and should affect your character in other ways too. The loss of experience points due to being screwed up in the head with guilt and/or confusion about who you are, for example, would be a normal consequence. A Paladin would lose his class, becoming a dishonored warrior thereafter. It's there to present meaningful reactivity.

• Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    lack of cavalry action info makes me anxious.

^ Top  
  3. Anonymous Wife Scholar Arcane

Anonymous Wife Scholar
    Do not worry Monk ! it is okay Monk ! because you are my bestest friend forever !! You are!
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 11
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Bethesda level bugged is still terrible. I hope they release it in better state than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    More demons: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3283382

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nikanuur Learned Patron

Nikanuur
    Premise: Lamashtu between two ferns.
    Story: Quinn's rebel years (after an amnesia ofc)
    Ending: PC accepting or denying the possibility to take the free will from anybody on Golarion

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    Yep... totally not woke - endorses half negro half-elf mutt...
    It was fun while it lasted... damn you kwa and your mind rot.

• (autism) (autism) x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    its a possibility. and to be quite honest i am going to ignore it. pathfinder lore is not very good, but the whole 'actually did you know the starstone was a mega weapon of the many space civilizations of androids and humans and fish people that inhabit the cosmos? also androids are everywhere on golarion. no the space people won't show up' takes the cake, bakes another one, and eats it too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Riel Cipher

Riel
    I keep clicking the "PLAY" button on GOG non stop and it doesn't work!!!

:rage:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    Golarion lore is shiete. They should've separate their version of forgotten realms with other shit, this mash of universes is making me cringe big time making it hard to well take it seriously. That's why I decided to treat each iteration of PFK games as a separate entity( makes it EZ to ignore inane shit) and that's why I don't want any cameos from the previous games.
    Release date - 02.09.21

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think Strange Aeons would be a more interesting AP to do next.

It has a ton of horror themed locations and the final book is set entirely on Carcosa.

Also the optional sanity rules from Horror Adventures would probably translate better to a CRPG than the tabletop.

^ Top  
  12. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Then you have your own children and realize it’s not just orcs. That’s why it’s necessary to raise them.

• (autism) (autism) x 2
    • No No x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    I think they should expand the non-combat part of their games akin to BG3(without jumping ofc), in general, expand systems, maybe add fly and other shit(like in solasta) add races and classes.

• No No x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Dishonoredbr Liturgist

Dishonoredbr
    I hope it unlocks today midnight, crazy hype to make a Demon Quarterstaff Monk.

Btw did the Demon path got better? I heard that Demon and Angel paths are super lackluster compared to the rest.

• No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Fuck that, BG3 combat is more of a gimick than something interesting. It was shit in their previous games, it is still shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Anthedon Arcane Patron

Anthedon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    I'll be playing the game because I backed it, lmao. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, well, you've already taken my money. Ah well.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. smaug Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Insert Title Here
    ^ Top  
  19. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It did. They’re not lol.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LannTheStupid Товарищ Patron

LannTheStupid
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Regarding the alignments.

So wargames were known for more than 200 years now. The German played them; the British played them; and then they moved to 'Murica. There wargames were scaled down from platoon or squad level to individual units and the alignment was born. It seems you cannot stop being a puritan if you have Mayflower in your national myths, even if you are Gary Gygax.

As the result, my personal piece of advice for anyone who for some reason reads this: if you are not an American or you do not belong to one of American protestant sects ignore the alignment in games. It was made by puritans for puritans; for the rest of the humankind there is nothing there.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    I'm talking about things OTHER than combat. Like camouflage in BG3 or teleportation, levitation, speak with dead, create food etc etc etc etc

Already logged in! In CE now...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Have you tried setting the date past the 2nd of Sept?

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LannTheStupid Товарищ Patron

LannTheStupid
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am not sure that there are enough people to buy another Disco Elysium...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    But Disco sold really well, regardless of our opinions on the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    How's Disco is relevant here? I'm talking about non-combat magic and abilities and reactivity aka Arcanum speak with dead etc. BG3 does it fairly well so far (despite lacking in other departments).

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.