Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Dev Diary #2 - Turning 360°

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Alexander Mishulin; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

One of the new features in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a rotatable camera. That's the unlikely topic of the game's second dev diary video, which goes over some of the artistic and technical challenges Owlcat faced while implementing it. For example, designing areas and visual assets to look good from every direction, and making sure that the camera handles elevation changes gracefully. They also had to implement 3D audio so that players hear sounds coming from the proper direction.

In other news, Owlcat recently concluded their series of community quest votes which ran through February and March. They posted the epilogue of the story on the official website. Now we wait for the resulting trailer.

• decline x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    Horrible idea, a lot more work to do for the design team and for us (we will have to adjust it constantly now and will be mandatory by design to see everything/play as intended).
    Yea i hate 360° camera.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    owlcat is the greatest rpg developer of all time

• Funny Funny x 1
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. BING XI LAO Age of Wonders fanboy Patron

BING XI LAO
    Insert Title Here
    Kruno what are your thoughts on this?

^ Top  
  5. GloomFrost Arbiter

GloomFrost
    So now players need to spend extra time rotating the camera in order to see all the loot/traps/secrets/enemies. While Devs have to spend more time and money to implement 3d sound instead of spending it on something like I don't know...... more important staff for isometric RPG. This is DECLINE pure and simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    *raises hand*

I like 360° cameras. I loved the mod for it in PF:K.

*runs and hides*

• Heresy Heresy x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MrBuzzKill Arbiter

MrBuzzKill
    Why, though? do you enjoy spending time rotating around every bit of map you're in?

^ Top  
  8. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    No, I just like to feel that I'm looking at a virtual world rather than a specially painted and positioned scene.

^ Top  
  9. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It creates a sense of looking for something in an environment, as opposed to seeing something in a painting gallery.

I could take it or leave it, but I can see why developers feel like that is the smart and contemporary thing to do. The popularity of open world exploration-driven games attests that people like looking for things.

^ Top  
  10. MrBuzzKill Arbiter

MrBuzzKill
    Well to me, it's mostly nothing but extra pixel-hunting. But I can see where you're coming from. I suppose your favorite type of camera in RPGs is first-person.

^ Top  
  11. gurugeorge Arcane

gurugeorge
    Nah, third person all the way - mimics situational awareness :) First person mimics tunnel vision, which is only good in high-octane fps action or dungeons where you're supposed to feel afraid. Which means 3rd person is more immersive generally, and 1st person is more immersive in high emotional states, like exciting combat or fearful dungeon crawling, etc.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.