Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Is there any way to boost the DC for Hexes on Ember enough so that she can more or less reliably beat enemy Saves?

Slumber was pretty useful early on, but at this stage, enemies save against it far too often to justify spending a whole round on casting it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Haplo

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 8:

Level 15:

• Knight's Challenge: At 15th level, the Cavalier can make a knight's challenge once per day. This functions like a normal Challenge, but the Cavalier adds his Charisma bonus on all attack rolls and damage rolls made against the target of his challenge. In addition, he receives a +4 circumstance bonus on attack rolls made to confirm critical hits against the target of his Knight's Challenge.

It's Knight's Challenge that I am referring to. Order of the Sword is an absolute powerhouse.

Yosharian

Arcane
Is there any way to boost the DC for Hexes on Ember enough so that she can more or less reliably beat enemy Saves?

Slumber was pretty useful early on, but at this stage, enemies save against it far too often to justify spending a whole round on casting it.
Itemization, I think. Check the Neoseeker page.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Use debuffs, generally. Archon's Aura, Touch of Madness/Chaos (from Domains), Evil Eye (+Cackle), intimidate/shaken, Prayer, sicken (Eyebite, Crusader's Edge) ect. to reduce saves before trying to land the sleep hex.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haplo

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 8:

Level 15:

• Knight's Challenge: At 15th level, the Cavalier can make a knight's challenge once per day. This functions like a normal Challenge, but the Cavalier adds his Charisma bonus on all attack rolls and damage rolls made against the target of his challenge. In addition, he receives a +4 circumstance bonus on attack rolls made to confirm critical hits against the target of his Knight's Challenge.

It's Knight's Challenge that I am referring to. Order of the Sword is an absolute powerhouse.
Interesting. Though imagine making a Cha-focused, non-Legend level 15 Cavalier...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The Community Domain and Animal Domain are objectively superio

Folks when you use "objectively" this way we just read "I haven't tried any of the other ones or thought seriously about opportunity cost yet." Domains are one of the few areas that Paizo (Owlcat?) has left in some real clunkers and other ones have niche applications that only turn on in certain settings (like Pal abilities in this one) but in general this isn't a one-dimensional ruleset. Animal Domain means you're still designing for solo play.

Use debuffs, generally. Archon's Aura, Touch of Madness/Chaos (from Domains), Evil Eye (+Cackle), intimidate/shaken, Prayer, sicken (Eyebite, Crusader's Edge) ect. to reduce saves before trying to land the sleep hex.

She makes a better applier of debuffs than beneficiary thereof, especially for Sleep, since other classes get better ways to boost their DCs. Sleep is a trap after very early game. Low DC effects are better for AoE or if you don't have alternatives that do something even on a made save. She does.

Interesting. Though imagine making a Cha-focused, non-Legend level 15 Cavalier...

Order of the Lion's For the King is AoE (duplicates Mark), once per fight instead of per rest, and unlocks at lvl 8. Same effect with one round duration, which should be enough.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Folks when you use "objectively" this way we just read "I haven't tried any of the other ones or thought seriously about opportunity cost yet."

OK, so which Domains are stronger than Community, Animal and Madness? Which ones offer a higher "opportunity cost", whatever the fucking hell that means in this context?

Desiderius

Patron
Folks when you use "objectively" this way we just read "I haven't tried any of the other ones or thought seriously about opportunity cost yet."

OK, so which Domains are stronger than Community, Animal and Madness? Which ones offer a higher "opportunity cost", whatever the fucking hell that means in this context?
So as I said, it’s apparent you haven’t thought about opportunity cost or looked at other Domains yet. Go ahead, it’s fun.

Stoned Ape

Savant

She makes a better applier of debuffs than beneficiary thereof, especially for Sleep, since other classes get better ways to boost their DCs. Sleep is a trap after very early game. Low DC effects are better for AoE or if you don't have alternatives that do something even on a made save. She does.

She is, definitely. But if you really wanted to land a sleep hex after the early game, I think debuffing is probably the most likely way to go about it (even if it is inefficient).

Nontheless, I think it's worth mentioning the transferable concept of stacking debuffs to land save-or-suck effects, though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

She is, definitely. But if you really wanted to land a sleep hex after the early game, I think debuffing is probably the most likely way to go about it (even if it is inefficient).

Nontheless, I think it's worth mentioning the transferable concept of stacking debuffs to land save-or-suck effects, though.
Yeah, I had decent effects with making enemies Shaken, Camelia applying Evil Eye - Saving Throws and then Ember Hexing them with Slumber. Still, this were mostly early game tactics.

Desiderius

Patron
Domains are expensive. The classes that have them gave up a lot to get them. They’re the principal feature of those classes - they’re there to be designed around and optimized for unique effects you can’t get anywhere else.

Don’t piss that away by overloading your action economy (Impossible Domain on Sosiel is a trap, he needs Zealot and the Abundants) or tacking on a late pet with no class abilities to support it. One of the things those classes give up is the opportunity for bonus feats so Boon bites extra hard.

This is what I mean by thinking in solo terms. You have five other character slots (MC is ideal!) to pick up other Domains and/or full pets/pet supporting abilities. They even give you an item if you’re determined to tack a pet on a class that doesn’t support one.

Each pet puts a strain of your item/buff/pathfinding resources. One is ideal to take advantage of the great pet specific items. The second will be much weaker than the first. Take advantage of that one pet with a class that supports it as more than an afterthought.

If you don’t want to do Domains and/or a pet class on you MC (Divine Hunter or Sacred Huntmaster do both) then Lann sets up well for that. Reg can also get Domains.

Desiderius

Patron
Guarded Hearth is once per rest (much better in Wrath than P:K) and Full Round Action so unless you want to be stuck pulling every big fight (good luck pulling Shivial et al) you’re priced into Domain Zealot for one whole activation per rest. That means you want another Domain with a good Activated ability (or two!) you can spam on all the other turns you aren’t activating Hearth.

Animal Domain is (again) massive fail for that.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yeah, I had decent effects with making enemies Shaken, Camelia applying Evil Eye - Saving Throws and then Ember Hexing them with Slumber. Still, this were mostly early game tactics.
It's work a bit in late game, assuming challenging difficulty. Not reliably, but it's free and still more interesting than using a Xbow.

Desiderius

Patron
It's work a bit in late game, assuming challenging difficulty. Not reliably, but it's free and still more interesting than using a Xbow.
She’s an Elf, she can use a real Bow. She also starts with the Ranged Feats and gets Transformation so can get pretty good at it if you’re determined to do that, but they’re both inferor to the things she’s relatively good at in terms of action economy:

Touch Spells (Conj Snowball to bypass SR, Fire Rays/Necro Rays do something even on made Save or are no Save)

Major/Scaling Hexes (Delicious Fright is Shaken on made Save, Agony is 60 ft range and attacks low Save on casters, Evil Eye scales and has effect even on made Save, Fortune/Protective have scaling duration, even the Cure/Heals are better than they look)

Conj AoE bypasses SR, AoE Enchants attack non-bosses (lower saves) and require multiple saves (one per mob affected)

If you’re mailing in a Companion’s action econ bring a different one.

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, with the treasure islands DLC supposedly being released tomorrow does anyone have any plans for party composition?

I'm probably going to try:

LG Hasty Halfling Beastrider (Order of the Cockatrice, leopard companion) 3/Paladin 17
LN Human-Raised Half-Orc Cleric 20 (Erastil; Domains: Animal (horse)/Community)
N Human Rowdy 4/Deliverer 16 (Reach weapon, menacing combat style)
LN Blightborn Elf Freebooter 15/Fighter 5 (Menacing combat style, longbow)
N Tiefling Incense Synthesizer 20 (Crossbow)
NG Human Brownfur Transmuter 20 (Longspear)

FFTW

Educated
I wonder whether the Console edition that will get released on this date next month will contain at least some of the DLC bundled in. Has there been any confirmation on that?

Other than that, I really hope it doesn't have the severe technical issues that plagued Kingmaker on consoles (especially considering that it is cross gen, so hopefully the 8th gen versions have been shown some love and care too).

PS: Is there a "secret/true ending" with absolutely ludicrous requirements that basically force you to have a walkthrough next to you during the entire game in this game too? That was the thing that most bothered me about Kingmaker, even more so than the technical issues, so I would appreciate a warning about that.

I mean, that ending was convoluted as f*** and involved things such as, at one specific point, needing to choose a dialog option that has a random chance of appearing even if you followed all its prerequisites and doesn't seem that important to boot. It didn't appear for me and I didn't know it needed to appear at the time, and that one thing locked me out of the true ending with no alternative way to reach it, and I had fulfilled all the other gazillion requirements too.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Kingmaker's secret ending is not that hard to get provided you already finished the game once.

The same thing is true for wrath.

Stoned Ape

Savant
PS: Is there a "secret/true ending" with absolutely ludicrous requirements that basically force you to have a walkthrough next to you during the entire game in this game too? That was the thing that most bothered me about Kingmaker, even more so than the technical issues, so I would appreciate a warning about that.
Yes, and the requirements are even more annoying and obscure than the Kingmaker ones.

To be honest, most of the 'normal' endings are probably more interesting than the secret one, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom