Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Stoned Ape

Savant
Vivi does get haste.

Bard is generally a solid choice for a force multiplier.

If you wanted something a bit different you could go for some type of Barbarian (or a Primalist Bloodrager) with reckless stance and inspire ferocity for a +AB (but -AC) aura.

A Freebooter Ranger is also an excellent choice with two excellent infinite use buffs. Probably best built as an archer so you free up their move action as much as possible to spam the buffs as needed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Asimar Hospitaler (Paladin) doing "sword and board" + took horse at lvl 5
Disgusting.

Why nerf your damage output with a shield, when your horse is your shield.
I mean, you even have a Vivi to cast Shield on your mount...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Disgusting.

I didn't pick any weapon focus or shield feats, I can switch to two handed at any time. I just got that horse, until now he needed a shield to tank. Also Paladin still has way more AC and saves than that horse. I picked Horse more for the move and still do full attack trick since I am playing TB.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
A Freebooter Ranger is also an excellent choice with two excellent infinite use buffs. Probably best built as an archer so you free up their move action as much as possible to spam the buffs as needed.
I guess with Vital Strike? Think I prefer the melee version, but its an option.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Disgusting.

I didn't pick any weapon focus or shield feats, I can switch to two handed at any time. I just got that horse, until now he needed a shield to tank. Also Paladin still has way more AC and saves than that horse.

Hmm, buff the horse and you might be surprised regarding the AC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Vivi does get haste.

Bard is generally a solid choice for a force multiplier.

If you wanted something a bit different you could go for some type of Barbarian (or a Primalist Bloodrager) with reckless stance and inspire ferocity for a +AB (but -AC) aura.

Freebooter is cool but needs actions early for attack buffs and I got my Cleric with Good domain for that. But I was thinking some kind of archer because I could use another high dps character but if I am to focus on archery I probably do not want to waste actions that I could be shooting. Also if I want party buffs, Bard still seems better choice in this case.

Primalist Bloodrager and aura that gives everyone - to AC does not attract me in ironman dungeon DLC. I rather not risk death for my character. I was already close enough when enemy archers decided to attack my main character and brought him to -5

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
Freebooter is cool but needs actions early for attack buffs and I got my Cleric with Good domain for that. But I was thinking some kind of archer because I could use another high dps character but if I am to focus on archery I probably do not want to waste actions that I could be shooting. Also if I want party buffs, Bard still seems better choice in this case.
Freebooter can use Bond just before you engage your opponent, it lasts a minute (long enough for most combats) and gives all flankers an extra +2 to hit. You could also take time to put Hurricane Bow and Aspect of the Falcon up before you use Bond, both last 1/min per level.

(Ideal pre-fight buff order is probably Aspect of the Falcon, Hurricane Bow, Freebooter's Bond, Sense Vitals --> shoot to start combat)

Bane has a nice long range and lasts until the target dies or you swap the bane onto another target, so you don't have to use it every round (unless things are dying really quickly).

As Bane is a move action, you can combine it with shooting an arrow. If you pick up Vital Strike (from 7th level on), that arrow will hurt (especially from a hurricane bow).

On every turn you don't need to Bane, you can full attack with your bow.

You can choose archery style to pick up precise shot without wasting a feat on point blank shot to get you a head-start on learning the archery feat chain.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Freebooter can use Bond just before you engage your opponent, it lasts a minute (long enough for most combats) and gives all flankers an extra +2 to hit. You could also take time to put Hurricane Bow and Aspect of the Falcon up before you use Bond, both last 1/min per level.

(Ideal pre-fight buff order is probably Aspect of the Falcon, Hurricane Bow, Freebooter's Bond, Sense Vitals --> shoot to start combat)

Bane has a nice long range and lasts until the target dies or you swap the bane onto another target, so you don't have to use it every round (unless things are dying really quickly).

As Bane is a move action, you can combine it with shooting an arrow. If you pick up Vital Strike (from 7th level on), that arrow will hurt (especially from a hurricane bow).

You can choose archery style to pick up precise shot without wasting a feat on point blank shot to get you a head-start on learning the archery feat chain.
That is good in addition to a Bard, not replacing one. Bard bonuses are Good Hope + Bard song for everyone vs everyone and without needing to flank and stuff. And since this DLC can have any kind of enemy picking ranger favored enemies will be impossible so he will be doing crap damage until Instant Enemy spell which is high level.

For direct damage archer fighter is unbeatable but boring. Is ranged Magus any good?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck this I am installing this and some mods. You guys discussing make it all more tempting.

Question: do we have decent enough randomization between "run"? As in would my 1st and 2nd playthrough has the same enemy comps or are they randomized? Dungeon layout?

Stoned Ape

Savant
That is good in addition to a Bard, not replacing one. Bard bonuses are Good Hope + Bard song for everyone vs everyone and without needing to flank and stuff. And since this DLC can have any kind of enemy picking ranger favored enemies will be impossible so he will be doing crap damage until Instant Enemy spell which is high level.

For direct damage archer fighter is unbeatable but boring. Is ranged Magus any good?
Freebooter doesn't get favored enemy, he gets Freebooter's Bane instead (+1 to hit/damage, +1 every five levels) which he shares with the party.

For the big fights you can buy scrolls of good hope from the merchant (I'm pretty sure they're only 700 gold each and he has a stock of 99). All you need is a moderate investment in UMD to cast them.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Desiderius
Just wanted to mention that Cult Leader makes an excellent scout/archer: short-term elemental boost for Barrage access, access to greater weapon focus, weapon damage scaling with level, sneak attack, a couple of bonus feats, hide in plain sight (with a stealth bonus), access to level 6 cleric spells, and decent skill points. It's just a shame that blessings are pretty poor, especially compared to how great cleric domains are.

Still, it's been my favourite class this run (just edging out the Sanctified Slayer. It has been very tough to pick between the two; Bane and Studied Target did some really great work against the end boss, but I think the Cult Leader was better throughout the expedition).
It's great in Wrath, but this is even more of a low rest environment than P:K. Warpriest has no staying power.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Yes, but it takes a while.

They can target flat-footed AC or add Int to hit as swift actions using their Arcane Pool.

They can use arcane weapon to add fire, cold, and shock to the bow, then get the elemental barrage ability to add (mythic rank x d6) to damage twice for each arrow.

They generally only get really good towards the end of the first run after hitting Mythic Rank 3.

Desiderius

Patron

These devs make everything a Morale Bonus. Good Hope is obsolete. Competence bonus is rarer but I used Martyr for that. Unfortunately this DLC is Wrath's Varnhold's Lot so Mark od Justice comes a little late.

Sensai with the unique Nunchucks is probably pretty good. Bard is nice to try to get enough Knowledge to make a simple meal (or Dirge for Religion). That's got to be a bug.

Freebooter is better fit with big two-handed Cleaver, AoOer. Ranged doesn't have the Feats for Vital Strike in any timeframe relevant to this game.

Stoned Ape

Savant
These devs make everything a Morale Bonus. Good Hope is obsolete. Competence bonus is rarer but I used Martyr for that. Unfortunately this DLC is Wrath's Varnhold's Lot so Mark od Justice comes a little late.

Sensai with the unique Nunchucks is probably pretty good. Bard is nice to try to get enough Knowledge to make a simple meal (or Dirge for Religion). That's got to be a bug.
Second run XP limit seems to be for level 16, Mythic Rank 6 (the first run's boss level hits halfway through the second run)

I guess the third might be 20/10 and be three times as long as the first run in total.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Fuck this I am installing this and some mods. You guys discussing make it all more tempting.

Question: do we have decent enough randomization between "run"? As in would my 1st and 2nd playthrough has the same enemy comps or are they randomized? Dungeon layout?
There are only a finite pool of maps, but the enemy selection is different on each for each run as far as I can tell.

The enemies seem to be buffed for the second run, the bosses definitely are.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

It is fun if you enjoy no talking, no puzzles all fighting dungeon romp. All of us that complained about all the irritating puzzles in main game and first two DLC will enjoy this DLC.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Freebooter is better fit with big two-handed Cleaver, AoOer. Ranged doesn't have the Feats for Vital Strike in any timeframe relevant to this game.
I was thinking about a monk and sensei does have aoe buffs but that character is kind of not awesome at anything, even more in the middle than a bard. Maybe not best for last 6th slot. I will try one of those in one run for sure (or standard monk), especially if I can get some bonus from one of the Tailwinds. Monks are kind of crap at low levels, probably better for a run where my guys level up faster.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Freebooter doesn't get favored enemy, he gets Freebooter's Bane instead (+1 to hit/damage, +1 every five levels) which he shares with the party.

For the big fights you can buy scrolls of good hope from the merchant (I'm pretty sure they're only 700 gold each and he has a stock of 99). All you need is a moderate investment in UMD to cast them.
"Only 700" like I got tons at lvl 5/6 :D
But you are right, I can use those scrolls at one point (although nobody in my party has good charisma so UMD is kind of crap atm but you don't lose a scroll so it is only a problem if I am trying it during combat). I will check out Freebooter abilities to see if I can use one over Bard like character or some other archer. Bonuses to attack are going to be useful for all my characters as even two casters are going to be using a bunch of touch attack spells.

Stoned Ape

Savant
"Only 700" like I got tons at lvl 5/6 :D
But you are right, I can use those scrolls at one point (although nobody in my party has good charisma so UMD is kind of crap atm but you don't lose a scroll so it is only a problem if I am trying it during combat). I will check out Freebooter abilities to see if I can use one over Bard like character or some other archer. Bonuses to attack are going to be useful for all my characters as even two casters are going to be using a bunch of touch attack spells.

To be honest, there's not much to spend money on during the first expedition except hiring crewmen and buying consumables.

Unless you choose to visit a skeleton merchant island (they sell a really wide selection of magical weapons and armor, but it's not cheap) you'll probaly have 20-30k in the kitty by the time you reach 8th level.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
DC for cooking seems to be awfully high - but it is visual bug. DC is the same as in the main game and in the receipt list, it is shown with some progress-related adjustment on the camp screen, but rolled without it.

Desiderius

Patron
Game is still just so ridiculously unfinished.

Danger Bug.jpg

The Competence buff is there but weirdly rolled into a DEX buff (that doesn't in fact buff your DEX for other things) instead of showing up as Competence in the log. The Mount AC buff on Challenge does the same thing (shows higher DEX instead of Dodge bonus). Danger Ward rerolls all saves instead of just failed ones then gives you the worse result. Understand that this ability (pretty much the main reason to play the class) did absolutely nothing from Alpha until six months after release then someone finally implemented it and put in this garbage.

You never know what's going to work/stack when it isn't supposed to/not stack when it is. Then there's stuff like no Healing Pots in the entire first Expedition and the Skill Checks on resting being bugged? I want to dive in but stuck waiting again.

Desiderius

Patron
You need to cover UMD (along with Trickery, Lores, and Knowledges) to get the Shrine buffs. Game feels a decent amount like Diablo.

Only need Mobility for Mounted Combat and Persuasion for Intimidate. Perception and Stealth nice to have on front liners due to nasty traps.

Nothing for Athletics AFAICT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom