Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I wrote it a year ago: the game engine does not have the 3d dimension, so even a pebble on the floor is an obstacle of infinite height. Charge requires clear direct path to the target, which a player might see, but the game does not.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I actually tried this, but it is incredibly tedious on Unfair - you deal 1-2 damage and miss alot.
It's not tedious it's the classic drizzt fight
Such a terrible comparison. Drizzt fight was also not fun, but you got 2 good +2 scimitars (or +3 ?!) in a game where +2 swords was endgame items. This elemental gives you nothing of importance.

user

Savant
I don't get how you guys are playing unfair. Making an enchantment overwhelming mage on hard, invested in dc, and the saves of every no-name shitty little demon make me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't get how you guys are playing unfair. Making an enchantment overwhelming mage on hard, invested in dc, and the saves of every no-name shitty little demon make me want to pull my hair out sometimes.
Are you also using a Mythic Path that buffs DCs or gives abilities that force enemies to reroll saves and take lesser ones and/or using Persistent Metamagic?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Trapfinding Talent on Arushalae
It is only bonus to Perception in the unmodded game, not to Trickery. Honestly, big modders are so intent on buffing Rangers with Better Bond/Favored Enemy Coverage/Skills, that at some point I started to suspect that most of them are just fanboying over their precious whiny waifu and trying to create a justification for having her in the party 24/7.
Interesting. I just started playing modded recently and it wasn't like she was bad at Trickery before, but yeah that would put it over the top.

Don’t think I can save Lann though.

Lann sets up well for class with full pet tho so you can get the Leopard Unfair helper.

The main problem is the double damage, which is also my least favourite bit of Unfair.
Unless you're unlocking the Achievement you're much better off to start on Hard (or even Core) and kick it up as you go. Some people tweak other stats instead of double damage since it warps the game so much. Once you hit Last Stand it kind of evens out to where the handicap is more like just skipping your first Mythic. Early game on Hard is more difficult than late game Unfair because you don't have your abilities yet.

I actually tried this, but it is incredibly tedious on Unfair - you deal 1-2 damage and miss alot. I'm going to see if I can't beat it honestly, I got VERY close in my tests earlier, and that was before I had the haste potion. WIth that, it should be possible.
Does he get more DR on Unfair? We don't - you did. Early Unfair is about consumables. You get two Inflict Critical Wounds scrolls in Maze IIRC and you can come back to fight him with Marching Terror + Enlarge + Bull's after Hosilla. Also Heroism and Prayer scrolls etc and a Resist Cold and Prot Cold Pot.

Has upgrades called Crippling Blows and Wrecking Blows. One reduces enemy attack and fort saves, other gives even more bonus damage.
Trevor comes with this so can unlock by leveling him out on Barb. Crippling + the Cleave package he comes with shld be pretty good if its working yet.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
It absolutely should. It works with all dispel effects, AFAIK.
Not sure about the DCs though. They were kinda shitty on my Aeon inquisitor. But some people with solid mental stats were reporting very nice or even deadly DCs.
I'm guessing the DCs would not be based on yout Trickery skill, but rather Greater Dispel spell level + some mental stat OR Mythic Rank.

On the other hand, AFAIK Destructive Dispel triggers PER EFFECT DISPELLED, so even if DCs are shitty, it could still force to roll many "1s".
Glad they finally implemented it evidently. Are advantage effects working on Dispel checks yet? Went through all the rigamarole of making Sosiel an Abjurer only to belatedly discover they weren't.

:negative:

You still get Sicken even on made save with Destructive so it would be a nice effect if CLs weren't so high on the Dispel itself. Very difficult to reliably Dispel anything without Mythic Path helping.

Are you also using a Mythic Path that buffs DCs or gives abilities that force enemies to reroll saves and take lesser ones and/or using Persistent Metamagic?

On a similar note beating saves on Unfair is also mostly a Mythic thing. Nenio can do ok with AoEs so feels like Linzi on P:K Unfair. Everybody else good luck.

user

Savant

Still early in the game at Drezen, haven't gotten Azata favorable magic, but the DCs I am seeing make me lose hope, even with rerolling chances would be bad. Haven't gotten persistent yet either because I was rushing for some needed SP. Do you know if these two stack?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You do need to try to aim for the weaker save of the enemies. Usually they have some (but sometimes its still very high and you should look for another angle).
Of course, mind the enemy immunities, as they can often make these theoretical saving throw weaknesses difficult to exploit (like immune to prone, mind-effects or paralysis).

But something like Glitterdust works on pretty much everyone - if you can beat their Will saves.

Tsubutai

Educated
Well, by not playing a mage for a start. Casters take a while to become strong, IME.

user

Savant
You do need to try to aim for the weaker save of the enemies. Usually they have some (but sometimes its still very high and you should look for another angle).
Of course, mind the enemy immunities, as they can often make these theoretical saving throw weaknesses difficult to exploit (like immune to prone, mind-effects or paralysis).

But something like Glitterdust works on pretty much everyone - if you can beat their Will saves.
I wanted to build an absolute crowd controller and beat every will save in the game. Unfortunately I invested in all the best jokes and there are so many flying enemies early in the game who are immune to prone to it.

Desiderius

Patron
Still early in the game at Drezen, haven't gotten Azata favorable magic, but the DCs I am seeing make me lose hope, even with rerolling chances would be bad. Haven't gotten persistent yet either because I was rushing for some needed SP. Do you know if these two stack?
SR doesn't go up on Unfair and you get a lot other ways around it so turns out not to be so needed after all, and Overwhelming gets it naturally. Conj bypasses it so maybe lean on that until your Spell Pen matures?

Persistent makes enemy reroll saves so is something different from Spell Pen.

IllusiveBrian

Novice

Favorable Magic from Azata and Persistent spell stack, in the combat log every save will be rerolled from Favorable Magic and if they pass the first save Persistent will force them to save a second time, with a second Favorable Magic reroll. So the enemy has to pass 4 saves, effectively. Persistent does not apply to saves after the initial cast (e.g. per round for Hideous Laughter), while Favorable does.

Desiderius

Patron
Azata Jokes will get there eventually but you were always going to need multiple angles of attack. You'll have some great Enchant AoEs as well but the second School (with the Expanded Arsenal Mythic) is up to you with a lot of good options once you unlock Favorable. I think Favorite Meta Persistent is in-game now to reduce the meta cost to one level. TTT/Dark Codex gives you some other ways to reduce Meta costs via background and Gnome-exclusive Phantasmal Mage w/Shadow Spells works great with Azata if you're up for another try.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Desiderius said:
Unless you're unlocking the Achievement

I don't think I even get achievements seeing as I use mods, I'm just that much of masochist/autist. I wanna beat it on unfair

Does he get more DR on Unfair? We don't - you did. Early Unfair is about consumables. You get two Inflict Critical Wounds scrolls in Maze IIRC and you can come back to fight him with Marching Terror + Enlarge + Bull's after Hosilla. Also Heroism and Prayer scrolls etc and a Resist Cold and Prot Cold Pot.

Yep, I'm using all things currently, and it's impossible currently but not that far off. With Haste, should be doable. However I didn't know you could still do it after Hosilla - that's great, since it means I can test if I can beat Hosilla without Haste first and then go elemental after.

His DR is 5/-, it's way less of a problem than his crit immunity and the fact that he hits on 2+ and one-shots without crits (characters have ~20HP, he deals a minimum of 48 damage in AoE).

user

Savant
Good to know that those two stack, didn't expect them to tbh. Hopefully saves won't scale to a ridiculous level later.

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok but what is powerful stance
The Barbarian can focus her ferocity. She gains a +1 bonus on melee damage rolls and thrown weapon damage rolls. This bonus increases by 1 for every 4 levels the Barbarian has.
This is a stance Rage Power. A Barbarian can't have more than one stance Rage Power active at a time. If she activates a stance Rage Power while another one is active, the current stance immediately ends.
Has upgrades called Crippling Blows and Wrecking Blows. One reduces enemy attack and fort saves, other gives even more bonus damage.
Ahhh right. I totally forgot about that one. Yeah it's alright I guess, if you don't want Guarded Stance.

Delterius

Arcane
Which, speaking of... whytf is it called a maze? I kept thinking they were talking about some dungeon coming after this one, which has nothing to do with a maze. It's a sleeping room, a meeting hall, a few closets, a ritual room and a cellar. I like the dungeon well enough but what does it have to do with a maze
we have three options here

a) it used to be a maze but then half the city collapsed into it and now its more like a corridor

b) the map is an abstraction, we actually go through a big ass maze (coward's choice)

c) the maze is a metaphor for the walls of level 6 barbarian tieflings you face (and don't avoid because you're a goof)

So apparently the midnight isles are bugged and you get to a point you can't advance because the floor boss doesn't spawn.

There goes that plan of 'playing the game and testing builds / meta while not spoiling the main campaign'

i think elemental engine is funky. burnout is applying its bonuses at any level of burn
also my mistake. it just wouldn't double until i got to max burn

Tsubutai

Educated
You still get Sicken even on made save with Destructive so it would be a nice effect if CLs weren't so high on the Dispel itself. Very difficult to reliably Dispel anything without Mythic Path helping.
It's not too bad now that you can get +3 CL from the DLC robe - any level 20 caster can reach a CL of 26 on greater dispel, which is enough to remove Areelu's buffs with a few casts.

As for raising DC, it's pretty easy if you abuse Expanded Arsenal; if you don't take that option, you need to pick schools and spell types that are well-supported by gear. There's quite a lot of stuff to support Enchantment and Illusion and a decent amount of stuff for certain kinds of evocations, but Conjuration, Transmutation, Abjuration, and Necromancy get kind of stiffed.

Delterius

Arcane
Enchantment also require good spells, such as Command, Greater, and the right Mythic Path, which is mostly just Demon. I don't like abusing Expanded Arsenal since it's a rather dumb bug, but it's mandatory if you're playing Unfair.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
a) it used to be a maze but then half the city collapsed into it and now its more like a corridor

Always a good idea as an entertainment producer to set up something epic and then deliver something way more boring but with a plausible excuse - I'm sure that won't get any comments!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom