Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Tsubutai

Educated
(Gargs have Smite Good so bring non-Good characters. This is why they give you more than five companions.)
The smites are pretty much the easiest thing to manage in the gargoyle cave on unfair - as you say, you just bring non-good characters and make your MC start neutral or evil even if you plan for them to eventually become good. The difficulty comes from the sheer number of challenging enemies and the resulting length of the fight, the fact that the fight occurs in a quite confined area and enemies literally drop in from on high in waves with little opportunity to control their positioning or what they aggress, the boneshaker spam from the clerics (which can one-shot even quite tanky characters on a failed save with unfair double damage), and the fact that the gargoyles are immune or highly resistant to a lot of the crowd control options you have available at the level you reach it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
(Gargs have Smite Good so bring non-Good characters. This is why they give you more than five companions.)
The smites are pretty much the easiest thing to manage in the gargoyle cave on unfair - as you say, you just bring non-good characters and make your MC start neutral or evil even if you plan for them to eventually become good. The difficulty comes from the sheer number of challenging enemies and the resulting length of the fight, the fact that the fight occurs in a quite confined area and enemies literally drop in from on high in waves with little opportunity to control their positioning or what they aggress, the boneshaker spam from the clerics (which can one-shot even quite tanky characters on a failed save with unfair double damage), and the fact that the gargoyles are immune or highly resistant to a lot of the crowd control options you have available at the level you reach it.
I’ve heard that there’s one weird trick where you can just let immortal HKs (eventually) clear it for you. Not sure if that involves using that Mobility check to hang out with the dude down by the skeleton.

It helps to get Magic (Bless?) Weapon on Yaker and Reg so they can bypass Garg DR. IIRC NPCs scale along with mobs but I may be mistaken. I do know that Yaker and Wolj duo’ed the upper half of that fight on Hard. Clerics tried to cast Hold Person on Wolj (Bookworm’s Headband made him immune).

If you can get your AC high enough to avoid attacks from regular Gargs you can interrupt casters in RTwP and I think I had Nenio spamming Rainbow Pattern as well with Spell Pens (the one place where you need it most). Maybe Wolj was using Shout/Slow scrolls she scribed when scribing had broken DC? Does Stinking Cloud work on Gargs? That bypasses SR. I did have Sos spamming Prayer and Touch of Good/Luck on Lann I think and he still didn’t get attacked (despite being Good).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Obv other people are playing Unfair so they’re creating an unbeatable Voltron or Sirocco kiting or nuking everything or whatever so maybe you can rocket tag by then too, but its going to be a very long slog to get there.

I'm not gonna do what amounts to P:K Stinking Cloud shennanigans. I find that immensely boring. What I meant is that if my builds can't handle the difficulty without constant reloads, I'm fine turning down the difficulty. In fact I'd welcome it.

He later figured out this was crap and MtG doesn’t make intentionally bad cards anymore

I've always found the logic of intentionally bad cards retarded, but they still slip into to almost every set, so I don't think he's entirely given up on the concept. It's less than it used to be, but you still get those cards every damned set where you just go "what was the fucking point?"

I found House quite easy tbh, dropping Weird nukes on the Wild Hunt packs goes a long way

Like I've said before, even though House wasn't frustrating or incredibly Hard, I still found it a bump in difficulty compared to the LAUGHABLY easy mid-point and early late game. I killed *everything* with my shitty builds without even thinking up until House. House woke me up. Was it incredibly difficult? No, but it did put in a little encounter design effort by giving enemies relevant stats and abilities. At least my party (which again, was by no means optimal) couldn't just auto-click their way through the latest enemies like it could up until then, and that's even though I had plenty of Blind-Fight (which I had taken because of the Nymphs).

ArchAngel said:
WotR difficulty drops is way less than in Kingmaker. Also it goes up a lot in certain fights and at end can be hard for some builds and there is no Blind Fight as a easy way to remove difficulty like you can in Kingmaker with House enemies.

That's awesome to hear (you're not the first to have told me so).

Last edited:

Tsubutai

Educated
I’ve heard that there’s one weird trick where you can just let immortal HKs (eventually) clear it for you. Not sure if that involves using that Mobility check to hang out with the dude down by the skeleton.
Yeah, you can cheese it like that but it's not a very satisfying way of doing things. What I settled on was bringing Seelah for Aura of Greater Courage and spamming Fear from scrolls since the gargoyles have relatively low will saves. I also put Death Ward and Free Movement on all party members to counter the Hold Person and channel negative energy spam, and my MC had high enough AC to facetank in melee with protective luck from Cam. Gargoyles are immune to poison, so Stinking Cloud doesn't work.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
WotR also has many more optional, hidden pseudo-boss encounters scattered around than I remember Kingmaker having, particularly in Acts I, III & IV.

Last edited:
While wrath does have less inherent difficulty dropoff built into it (I'm pretty sure everyone found Kingmaker trivial from around the end of the monster invasion to the House) it also has a much greater larger range of build strengths from weak to strong thanks to mythic stuff. If you metagame and plan a top-tier build from the start (even worse, a team build), or respec a lot, you're gonna increasingly trivialize the difficulty past level 6-9 or so just like in Kingmaker.

Desiderius

Patron
Obv other people are playing Unfair so they’re creating an unbeatable Voltron or Sirocco kiting or nuking everything or whatever so maybe you can rocket tag by then too, but its going to be a very long slog to get there.

I'm not gonna do what amounts to P:K Stinking Cloud shennanigans. I find that immensely boring. What I meant is that if my builds can't handle the difficulty without constant reloads, I'm fine turning down the difficulty. In fact I'd welcome it.

He later figured out this was crap and MtG doesn’t make intentionally bad cards anymore

I've always found the logic of intentionally bad cards retarded, but they still slip into to almost every set, so I don't think he's entirely given up on the concept. It's less than it used to be, but you still get those cards every damned set where you just go "what was the fucking point?"

I found House quite easy tbh, dropping Weird nukes on the Wild Hunt packs goes a long way

Like I've said before, even though House wasn't frustrating or incredibly Hard, I still found it a bump in difficulty compared to the LAUGHABLY easy mid-point and early late game. I killed *everything* with my shitty builds without even thinking up until House. House woke me up. Was it incredibly difficult? No, but it did put in a little encounter design effort by giving enemies relevant stats and abilities. At least my party (which again, was by no means optimal) couldn't just auto-click their way through the latest enemies like it could up until then, and that's even though I had plenty of Blind-Fight (which I had taken because of the Nymphs).

ArchAngel said:
WotR difficulty drops is way less than in Kingmaker. Also it goes up a lot in certain fights and at end can be hard for some builds and there is no Blind Fight as a easy way to remove difficulty like you can in Kingmaker with House enemies.

It’s not about builds. Ypur builds are already solid even if I’d twink a little here or there but if that Elemental is autohitting you you’re not using the abilities already at your disposal, which are things you learn over time. That’s what higher difficulties are for, to match your current level of mastery.

Starting on the highest difficulty (and keeping it there like Correct_Carlo) forces you into seeking out tricks and exploits just to stay alive instead of improving your game by learning all the different things each class can do, and when and why you need to.

The bad MtG cards nowadays are build-arounds or filler for limited instead of phonegame-style strictly worse stuff that’s designed to easily flatter the ego of the player to increase engagement/sales. Power creep is the problem now and you can see some of that in Wrath as well.

ArchAngel said:

It’s not about builds. Ypur builds are already solid even if I’d twink a little here or there but if that Elemental is autohitting you you’re not using the abilities already at your disposal, which are things you learn over time. That’s what higher difficulties are for, to match your current level of mastery.

Starting on the highest difficulty (and keeping it there like Correct_Carlo) forces you into seeking out tricks and exploits just to stay alive instead of improving your game by learning all the different things each class can do, and when and why you need to.

The bad MtG cards nowadays are build-arounds or filler for limited instead of phonegame-style strictly worse stuff that’s designed to easily flatter the ego of the player to increase engagement/sales. Power creep is the problem now and you can see some of that in Wrath as well.
You give some good advice sometimes but jesus man the constant "You are playing the game wrong" nonsense gets old by the third triple post. Games are entertainment not training for playing the same game again. It's not our job to make the game seem more interesting than it is....

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah, you can cheese it like that but it's not a very satisfying way of doing things. What I settled on was bringing Seelah for Aura of Greater Courage and spamming Fear from scrolls since the gargoyles have relatively low will saves. I also put Death Ward and Free Movement on all party members to counter the Hold Person and channel negative energy spam, and my MC had high enough AC to facetank in melee with protective luck from Cam. Gargoyles are immune to poison, so Stinking Cloud doesn't work.

The problem with attacking Will (which I did anyway with mixed success) is that they all have substantial SR IIRC. At the time I was stacking Spell Pen but you dont really get enough by then to regularly penetrate it (tho SR doesn’t scale with difficulty so it wasn’t impossible). I know on one playthrough Rainbow Pattern was pretty good (though HKs will break mez) and another I bought Putrefaction/Phantasmal Web (which are enemies only and Nenio can use w/no skill check) scrolls. Wolj had Slow etc. Just was annoying losing out to the SR.

Made me want Reg Dazzling + Fearsomeness.

Desiderius

Patron
You give some good advice sometimes but jesus man the constant "You are playing the game wrong" nonsense gets old by the third triple post. Games are entertainment not training for playing the same game again. It's not our job to make the game seem more interesting than it is....
Too bad. Tone policer doesn’t like play policer. Hurr durr your foruming wrong. Why is what you’re doing ok but not what I’m doing? When it comes up (here’s how you can kite that fight instead of learning the skills you need to smooth the rest of the game) then I bring it up.

Practice what you preach dumbass. Nonjudgmentalism always eats its own tail. Totally incoherent philosophy, or more to the point lack thereof.

Playing the game as designed is better than trying to break it. Deal.

Last edited:

ArchAngel said:

Too bad. Tone policer doesn’t like play policer. Hurr durr your foruming wrong. Why is what you’re doing ok but not what I’m doing? When it comes up (here’s how you can kite that fight) then I bring it up.

Practice what you preach dumbass. Nonjudgmentalism always eats its own tail. Totally incoherent philosophy, or more to the point lack thereof.

I think you mean "Hurr durr you're foruming wrong".

Desiderius

Patron
No, that’s the joke. Goes with the hurr durr. Suggestion to turn on your brain instead of the knee-jerk enforcement of obsolete norms that no longer serve your purpose and likely never did. Makes you look like an idiot.

Last edited:

ArchAngel said:

Too bad. Tone policer doesn’t like play policer. Hurr durr your foruming wrong. Why is what you’re doing ok but not what I’m doing? When it comes up (here’s how you can kite that fight) then I bring it up.

No, that’s the joke. Goes with the hurr durr. Suggestion to turn on your brain instead of the knee-jerk enforcement of obsolete norms that no longer serve your purpose and likely never did. Makes you look like an idiot.
WTF are you talking about? Just chill out a little bro. And learn to use the edit button.

Desiderius

Patron
I am chill - you're the one getting your panties in a twist because some dude is telling some other dude how he might get more enjoyment out of a game.

Only thing I'm not chill about is getting so old I can't remember what I did to get past a fight six months ago, or in the case of Wiz8 six weeks. Sux man - don't waste your youth.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Base gargs are not immune to poison. So actually Stinking Cloud (plus Delay Poison) is very helpful. But the fiendish template ones are immune. Most clerics too (but not all I think). So casting Stinking is far from autowin this time.

user

Savant
God, hard is really hard, at least with my current party. Used to breeze through everything on core + additional behaviors with all characters... But now I am stuck on hard at the Minahgo fight in Drezen T_T
-Killing Nurah in 1-2 rounds at the start
-Try to CC Cuckston
-Try to kill Minahgo, can't even lower half her health before everyone fails the fortitude save and fall, which is the point she assrapes me. Used every consumable possible to raise it and Seelah's bestow grace too...

Edit: Btw I've gotten the infinite judgement mythic trait but it's pretty annoying because it gets disabled all the time, is there anyway to auto cast it?
Edit2: I had forgotten one ability I just got that made all the difference and beat her... azata heroic song or smth.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
a) it used to be a maze but then half the city collapsed into it and now its more like a corridor

Always a good idea as an entertainment producer to set up something epic and then deliver something way more boring but with a plausible excuse - I'm sure that won't get any comments!
the studio did not deliver? you've fallen into my trap. behold

d) the real maze was the new free camera all along
Maybe the real maze are the friends we made along the way.

Desiderius

Patron
Base gargs are not immune to poison. So actually Stinking Cloud (plus Delay Poison) is very helpful. But the fiendish template ones are immune. Most clerics too (but not all I think). So casting Stinking is far from autowin this time.
Yeah I suggested it because it bypasses SR. It wouldn’t be autowin here in any case because there isn’t really much room to kite and the saves are higher than you can realistically own at that level.

Vek says that other sources of Nauseate (like Phantasmal Web) are no longer erroneously coded as Poison so should work, but unclear if that’s just TTT.

God, hard is really hard, at least with my current party. Used to breeze through everything on core + additional behaviors with all characters... But now I am stuck on hard at the Minahgo fight in Drezen T_T
-Killing Nurah in 1-2 rounds at the start
-Try to CC Cuckston
-Try to kill Minahgo, can't even lower half her health before everyone fails the fortitude save and fall, which is the point she assrapes me. Used every consumable possible to raise it and Seelah's bestow grace too...

Edit: Btw I've gotten the infinite judgement mythic trait but it's pretty annoying because it gets disabled all the time, is there anyway to auto cast it?
Edit2: I had forgotten one ability I just got that made all the difference and beat her... azata heroic song or smth.
Swifts are pretty clunky unfortunately in RTwP. I’d try TB to see if you like it. You can try to time it in response to your Standard Action or Full Attack firing when your timer runs down in RTwP.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bro, I swear this nigga Regill only joined my party just so he could get some of those Mythic level ups. Unethical!

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

ArchAngel said:

Everyone tells him this. He was even banned from the official forums for being a constant dick. He doesn't seem to get the message that he's a massive asshole, though, so......whatever. This is Codex. Kind of the norm here.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Okay, Regill's reason for joining me turned out to be much more nefarious than I initially had assumed:

regill takeover.png

He took over my save and is now the player character. In Group Manager he has the lock symbol now and when I click on NPCs, he moves in to talk and it's his portrait that is shown on the left. Genius game design. Kojima would be proud. I knew I should have killed him in that gargoyle cave. Time to find a different save.

Last edited:
Meme time: if you had to multiclass as much as possible while still making a reasonably effective build, what would you do?

I tried to create a character where I'd take 1 level of every full BAB class but apparently the leveling UI breaks in half and slows down exponentially past around 8 classes, and the game just flat out crashed for me at 10. 10/10 programming. Small family company please understand.

Okay, Regill's reason for joining me turned out to be much more nefarious as I initially assumed:

View attachment 29008

He took over my save and is now the player character. In Group Manager he has the lock symbol now and when I click on NPCs, he moves in to talk and it's his portrait that is shown on the left. Genius game design. Kojima would be proud. I knew I should have killed him in that gargoyle cave. Time to find a different save.

Something has to be fundamentally wrong with how the game creates saves because things literally just get mixed up or lost some times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom