Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

IllusiveBrian

Novice
Well, wizard and arcanist archetypes can still add something unique.

In Companions, sure. For example, I've waited for my playthrough #3 to hire my first Mercenary Companion, and it was a Brown-Fur Transmuter. Added tremendous value to the Party in no small part because of 'Share Transmutation'. Just the fact that she was able to cast Echolocation on other hard-hitting members of the Party to make sure they don't get fucked by 50% concealment alone was stupid good, not to mention being able to do the same with other very good buffs that are normally personal use only. Dragonkind III + Animal Growth + Transformation (all with 'Powerful Change' on top) on a Smilodon Animal Companion turns it into a nigh-unhittable engine of destruction.

But there doesn't seem to be a lot of sense in having that kind of character as your Lich Merged Spellbook MC - a Sorcerer simply synchronizes far better with that particular (sub-)Path and gets a whole lot more bang for its buck from it.
Ley Line and Stigmatized Witch are both spontaneous, Ley Line in particular could be free caster levels once your CHA adds to fortitude saves. Lich merge can mostly replace your weaker Witch spellbook and you'd have access to Hexes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, wizard and arcanist archetypes can still add something unique.

In Companions, sure. For example, I've waited for my playthrough #3 to hire my first Mercenary Companion, and it was a Brown-Fur Transmuter. Added tremendous value to the Party in no small part because of 'Share Transmutation'. Just the fact that she was able to cast Echolocation on other hard-hitting members of the Party to make sure they don't get fucked by 50% concealment alone was stupid good, not to mention being able to do the same with other very good buffs that are normally personal use only. Dragonkind III + Animal Growth + Transformation (all with 'Powerful Change' on top) on a Smilodon Animal Companion turns it into a nigh-unhittable engine of destruction.

But there doesn't seem to be a lot of sense in having that kind of character as your Lich Merged Spellbook MC - a Sorcerer simply synchronizes far better with that particular (sub-)Path and gets a whole lot more bang for its buck from it.
Ley Line and Stigmatized Witch are both spontaneous, Ley Line in particular could be free caster levels once your CHA adds to fortitude saves. Lich merge can mostly replace your weaker Witch spellbook and you'd have access to Hexes.
Hexes lag behind standard spells, using standard actions to use Hexes instead of OP Lich spells it only logical in the mind of a madman.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Without taking levels into Loremaster, Witches lack some pretty useful Spells in both defense and offense departments that I think are worth more than Hexes after early game and cannot be adequately replaced by Lich Spells either (Sirocco, Icy Prison/Mass Icy Prison, Weird if you're min-maxed for sky-high Illusion DCs, Mirror Image, Displacement etc.)

Sure, you can make spontaneous Witch Archetypes work as a Merged Lich, and they can work quite well, but a Sorcerer is simply more optimal in p. much every way, at least as far as I can tell. Hexes aren't really worth using a whole Standard Action for as of Chapter 3 or thereabouts in most situations anyway (though stuff like Protective Luck and/or Fortune + Cackle or Evil Eye can make a difference against particularly tough single enemies).

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
On a completely different topic.

Both Kinetic Knight and Kineticist after level 5 progression in their classes can use Earth Kinetic Blade with Bowling Infusion with 0 burn cost. The trip attempts are made on every attack and are registered in the combat log for both classes.

Which means that Kinetic Knight loses all form infusions and metakinesis just for armour and shield. And 1 level of Traditional Monk makes a Psychokineticist a better front-line fighter anyway.

I don't have fancy pictures, but, thanks to the Midnight Isles, I can make them. The game version is 1.4.4g . No mods.

What other Desiderius claims do you want me to check?

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
On yet another different topic.... :M

I'll probably be starting another playthrough soon, the exact time depends on whether I decide to start it on my current 1.37 patch soon or wait another couple of weeks or however long it takes Owlcat to whip EE into a decent shape.

But either way, I'm curious to try out the Demon Path this time and had an idea of building a "rip and tear" beast-like character that uses Natural Weapons. Which Class would be best for that? I figured a Vivisectionist might be the one because of the Feral Mutagen (plus Sneak Attack Damage and self-buffs), but I've never done a similar build so I'm pretty clueless.

Grunker You're playing something like this, ye?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
1.4.4g is stable, has the Midnight Isles, and if there are bugs, then they're mostly in the last DLC.

I have seen one funny graphical glitch: when the hero puts down the kinetic blade a copy of it flies off on the screen for several frames and then disappears. The blade remains in the scabbard, however. It does not seem to affect any mechanics. It is only on the Isles, not in the main game.

On the other hand: whom I am trying to persuade, lol.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I have seen one funny graphical glitch: when the hero puts down the kinetic blade a copy of it flies off on the screen for several frames and then disappears. The blade remains in the scabbard, however. It does not seem to affect any mechanics.

I can live with that.

Not just because I don't plan on using a Kineticist, mind you, but also because that glitch seems rather unnoticeable compared to the one I get fairly often, which makes characters walk backwards. Like in your case, mechanics are not affected, but it is a little immersion-breaking when a Balor is running towards your Party while facing the opposite direction. :M

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that Octavia and Nenio are the best representations of wizards. They're very helpful, but also quite strange. Take them of leave them.

Personally, I will not play with a "bro" wizard companion. Raistlin, Gandalf and Elric of Melniboné are all Western creations - and I am not even sure that Elric can be counted as a wizard. Even Wynn from Dragon Age: Origins is too stable and rational for a mage. Leave your gandalf's for Rings of Power watchers.
Lol Rings of Power is a wokel abomination. Tolkien is a Slav at heart. Tolkien = Tolstoy.

You're more Western than the West.

I'll probably be starting another playthrough soon, the exact time depends on whether I decide to start it on my current 1.37 patch soon or wait another couple of weeks or however long it takes Owlcat to whip EE into a decent shape.

But either way, I'm curious to try out the Demon Path this time and had an idea of building a "rip and tear" beast-like character that uses Natural Weapons. Which Class would be best for that? I figured a Vivisectionist might be the one because of the Feral Mutagen (plus Sneak Attack Damage and self-buffs), but I've never done a similar build so I'm pretty clueless.

I'm running Dragonheir Scion for this currently.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
On a completely different topic.

Both Kinetic Knight and Kineticist after level 5 progression in their classes can use Earth Kinetic Blade with Bowling Infusion with 0 burn cost. The trip attempts are made on every attack and are registered in the combat log for both classes.

Which means that Kinetic Knight loses all form infusions and metakinesis just for armour and shield. And 1 level of Traditional Monk makes a Psychokineticist a better front-line fighter anyway.

I don't have fancy pictures, but, thanks to the Midnight Isles, I can make them. The game version is 1.4.4g . No mods.

What other Desiderius claims do you want me to check?
Obvious bug is obvious. The Substance Infusion itself is supposed to cost 2 Burn. How exactly is it getting reduced to zero?

It's not a "claim" it's a bug report, dumbass. The arrogance flows directly from the ignorance. And vice versa. Clapping seal IHaveHugeNick beclowning himself as well. Great job, people.

Why should I help you find your bugs if you're just going to prance around pretending like they're WAI like an idiot? Fuck off.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I'm running Dragonheir Scion for this currently.

Claws you get from a Draconic Bloodline can only be used for 3 + CHA rounds per day, according to the Wiki. Are you extending that somehow?
Bloodline gives you some added defense (and some extra damage on Arcane Strike that comes with the class), but I'll be using Scrolls/Polymorph from Nenio to Wild Shape into Leopard/Smilo/Dragon. Eventually will go Gold Dragon from Demon. First Demon run but will see how that affects Natural Attacks with Wild Shaping. Weapon Training Natural Weapons will give them some more oomph especially with the Advanced Weapon Training options from TTT.

So far just Glaiving (Hosilla's vs Humans or when buffed, Dark Horn vs Demons for Cold Iron and a little extra damage) to get Book bonus.

Dragonheir is the only class in the game that gives Standard Action Dazzling Display so will be using that soon when I hit lvl 6 (along with Intimidating Prowess). Hungerseed Tiefling gives bonus to Persuasion and I'm getting WIS-to-Persuasion from Background and scaling Intimidate bonus from class. Just got Seashell for another 5 and Hero Cloak gives +2 Morale. Trying to get high enough to turn on Shatter for lvl 8 bosses.

DemonTiefLoot.jpg

Some new loot for the first time from Demon/Tiefling. Finally ran out of patience with Hulrunn. Been slumming it on Core but that was a pleasantly difficult fight with no buffs or spells up.

Desiderius

Patron
Is Pipefox pet thingie from near Finnean just gone now?

Tsubutai

Educated
Is Pipefox pet thingie from near Finnean just gone now?
Apparently it's still there but is no longer highlighted by pressing tab so you just have to click blindly in the area where it's supposed to be and hope you pick the right spot.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
still can't believe nenio isn't a brown fur transmuter by default what an obvious wasted opportunity
Fortunately its fixable easily enough.
Plus the trend has always been not to give NPCs the clearly best and OP archetypes.

Parabalus

Arcane
Does Treasures give you import goodies the way DLC 1 and DLC 2 do?

Or are you fine if you play the campaign version?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I am playing *exactly that*, in fact. My build is fairly narrow-mindedly going for maximizing natural attacks (it has an insane amount of attacks compared to its level - 3 at level 1, 4 at level 2, 7 at level 4 (!), and it just scales up from there. Gets +1 from haste, and plus another from Beast's Gift if you have a Witch.

I thought it would be shit because it sacrifices a ton of BAB and other stuff to get there, but it’s actually TONS of fun and really excellent even on Unfair which I’m playing. Even at Level 10 my Cleric is often just spending her turn using Bit of Luck on my MC, because getting to roll twice for to hit with 17 million attacks is just excellent.

And I’m not even at this build’s real breaking point yet: when Demon converts all those mediocre secondary attacks to juicy primary ones, making you both hit more easily (essentially +5 to hit with a lot of your attacks) and deal waaaaay more damage (primary attacks get bigger strength modifier AND bigger Power Attack modifier). At that point, you're essentially power-attacking with a million "two-handed" weapon attacks all at full BAB.

The full build is here. You could mess around with it as you’d like in many ways - for instance, motherless Tiefling would work as well (however I like the +intimidate and extra skills from Half-Orc plus they look very Warcraft-chaos-esque when they get Demon, but it does cost a Feat for Razortusk), as would a number of other main class combinations:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16qq--FuBKw86vLMhPajQMr8ij5zAvsSN4n1rsrcaTR8/edit?usp=sharing

A few notes:

- Note that using Claws is more of a thematic choice than an optimal one, since they don't scale extra attacks with BAB. I.e. when you have +11/+6/+1 you'll still only attack twice with Claws. So you could definetely opt for a two-handed weapon instead - you'll still keep all your bites and gores.
- There's one finnicky trick you have to do on level 7 due to how the interface works: you can't pick Cornugon Smash because it requires Power Attack, which you get from the Bloodline bonus feat at the same level. So you have to pick another feat, then select Power Attack, then go back to the previous feat and select Cornugon Smash.
- I use the Weapon Groups Mod - without it, Weapon Focus for Natural Attacks is a nightmare. Could be considered cheating though.
- I was very worried about the global spell failure in the build (from Oracle's Curse), but it has turned out to be a non-issue. I haven't noticed it once tbh. I might do when I start casting Mirror Image, though. If you're really worried about it, just choose another Oracle Curse and then choose the bite as a Beneficial Curse with mythics, or cut out Oracle entirely. Do note, though, that Oracle 1st level spells aren't actually as useless as may be implied: it actually means you can be the Remove Fear + Shield of Faith applier for the group (SoF only in early game), freeing up your other divine casters' 1st level slots.
- There are probably many paths for more strict optimization (that I would never do, but if you're in it for the power you would). For example, Lesser Fiend Totem is just +1 natural attack, there are better Rage Powers. Like Reckless Attacks or Beast Totem. If you go Beast you can scrap Bloodline powers on all levels and get Pounce, which should be amazing, for instance. The build as presented here is going for the full thematic archetype, so that's: most naturals possible within as much of a demony framework as possible. So plenty of room for optimization.
- Even if you don't change the core class of Bloodrager (Primalist), there are essentially three levels where you can do whatever; 18, 19 and 20. I chose level 4 DD for the stat boosts and then a level of Vivi for another Sneak Attack dice, but really, there are a number of options you could go with here.
- Second Bloodline is debatable. It gets you a shitton of feats but not much else (and you run out of relevant feats fairly quickly), and as you can see, you don't get the double bloodline-powers until level 17 because you take rage powers instead until then. Abyssal also isn't the most worthwhile Bloodline probably, but I like it for the flavor.
- Last Stand is pretty much necessary on the build and I'd highly recommend you get it on level 1 if you don't go duo bloodline (duo bloodlines is time sensitive). You do get Shield and later Mirror Image and stuff to protect yourself - and you should always be Enlarged for Reach, but expect your MC to die often on Hard and Unfair without Last Stand.
- Another weakness of the build is DR penetration - but that is fixed easily by getting and keeping the DR penetration relic for one of your Utility slots, and Align Weapon works on your naturals (Crusader's Edge does not, however). If you give the relic it to Galfrey like I did, expect to be less than optimal until you get Amulet of Mighty Fists/Agile Fists +2 (and later +3). From there on out, you shouldn't have too many issues.
- For the above reason, I used a two-handed weapon instead of my claws until Mythic 3 where you get permanent claws (this is also QoL since you don't have to worry about lack of claws out of Rage).
- Mythics from Rank 4 forward are more ideas than something I've decided on, I'm still exploring that system. Limitless Rage might also be redundant strictly speaking since it doesn't work on Demonic Rage (boooooo!), but it's still nice QoL.
- One weird downside to my statrange that I hadn't considered is that I actually can't cast my Alchemist spells :lol: This should be solved with items down the line (you only get 1st level Alc spells so you just need 11 - but that still requires +3 because of the -2 from Mutagen).
- An entirely different spin on the build which is more Gish-like but also gets way, way less natural attacks is going for Warpriest [Feral Champion] as suggested by Stoned Ape. What this gets you is: 1) higher damage dice on your naturals, 2) awesome self-buffs, 3) pump your naturals with enhancements, 4) permanent claws earlier, 5) no rage-reliance. However it changes the build entirely because you can't multiclass as aggressively (since that would lose the entire point of Warpriest which is Natural Attack damage dice scaling and enhancement scaling) and, as such, you have way, waaaaay fewer attacks. It's probably a more versatile but less focused (and therefore less powerful) build.
- Another spin is to go for a defensive, Charisma-reliant build with Scaled Fist and actively use the Demonic Transformations. This completely negates the need to stack naturals (since those disappear in transformations anyway). You could also focus on these transformations with a whole range of other builds.
- Daidre was instrumental in helping put the build together, and I hear he is considering doing it himself for an island DLC run, so he might have more suggestions.

Last edited:

Longes

Augur
still can't believe nenio isn't a brown fur transmuter by default what an obvious wasted opportunity
Plus the trend has always been not to give NPCs the clearly best and OP archetypes.
Nenio's Scroll Savant is clearly the best Wizard archetype though. Once you hit level 10 - you have infinite spells. It's even good on a Lich PC because you can fill all your slots with Lich spells and cast everything else from a scroll.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Nenio's Scroll Savant is clearly the best Wizard archetype though. Once you hit level 10 - you have infinite spells. It's even good on a Lich PC because you can fill all your slots with Lich spells and cast everything else from a scroll.
Well, maybe if you like consumables. Personally I hate them.
For me a BFT is FAR better.

Longes

Augur

What I'd do here is Stigmatized Witch 4/Scaled Fist 3/Dragon Disciple 4/Eldritch Knight7/Vivisectionist 2. Motherless Tiefling (for another bite). And Close To The Abyss for first ascension.
Use Transformation to bring your BAB up to snuff

ArchAngel

Arcane
Repurpose is funny, almost lets me solo Islands. Only problem is boss fights as there is nothing to repurpose there. First boss was nasty as he is immune to Unholy damage and has good SR. I was down to using Snow Balls vs him as he was immune to all my Necro spells that ignore SR. Too bad that aura that buffs undead within 50 ft does not work on companions that you give undead traits with that high level lich spell

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- I use the Weapon Groups Mod - without it, Weapon Focus for Natural Attacks is a nightmare. Could be considered cheating though.
It is cheating. Almost as if natural attacks are balanced by having 5 different types.
- For the above reason, I used a two-handed weapon instead of my claws until Mythic 3 where you get permanent claws (this is also QoL since you don't have to worry about lack of claws out of Rage).
Does the game still auto un-rage you as soon as you leave combat? That was a problem I had when I tried infinite rage builds. The fatigue that triggers prevents you from reraging for a minute or two, which is hell on buffs. There are ways to dispel it, or become fatigue immune, but they're not very accessible early iirc.
Nenio's Scroll Savant is clearly the best Wizard archetype though.
I think exploiter wizard can get more +DC, which is arguably better than casting lots of spells. But yeah, Nenio's build is very solid for a companion. Would be better if she was a gnome for more illusion DCs, but otherwise I can't think of much at the top of my hat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ad. 1. Meh. Naturals are ultranerfed compared to the giga-enchants and other shennanigans possible with a weapon (and it even costs you your neck slot on top of that!), it's not like +1 AB on your gores and claws, and later +1 threat range (compared to just WF: Bite/IC: Bite) makes up for that even a little. I do agree it's essentially cheating though, but I hate Weapon Focus and houserule it in my own games so IDGAF, but YMMV.

Ad. 2. Yes, it sucks. I use the Touch from Community Domain to remove Fatigue, but it still makes Limitless Rage way less valuable :negative:

EDIT: Incidentally, is there a Toybox option or similar tweak to prevent Rage from stopping when you exit combat?

Longes

Augur
I think exploiter wizard can get more +DC, which is arguably better than casting lots of spells.
By 1, yes. But there are enough trinkets that up the DC of mind-affecting spells that Nenio's DCs are not an issue.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I think exploiter wizard can get more +DC, which is arguably better than casting lots of spells.
By 1, yes. But there are enough trinkets that up the DC of mind-affecting spells that Nenio's DCs are not an issue.
By 1 by default I think. And another +1 by picking the respective Exploit upgrade.

BFTs also do this, BTW :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom