Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well it is impossible to teach someone who has lvl 6 fighter with fearing glaive in his hands and uses Dazzling Display to suck less.
I doubt that DC17 is enough on Hard or Unfair to matter on the level when Shatter Defences comes up.

Isles run, all equipment is random drops so you mostly buy stuff. Using all the same weapon has the minor advantage of being able to have characters use hand-me-downs.
Ah, I see. Yes, it is totally different and quite fun experience.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only character I sometimes think of retraining is Nenio. Not only because being a bird brained Arcanist seems to really fit her but also because I'm a scrub and I want my pet BFT. Grunker levels of 'what if the dwarf was a monk' is just too experimental and possibly scandinavian for me.
Well go ahead then :)
Respecialization mod will be helpful.

Yeah, that's a good point. Switching companion archetypes would make it mucho more experimentation friendly. No idea really why they've made it so restrictiive, when the entire appeal of the ruleset is that you can dick around with weird shit.
This is part of what I like about the isles DLC, you can try out the other 90% of classes without feeling like you're missing out on 1/3rd of the content.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Companions set up to go in many more directions in P:K and what they found was that people ran them into the ground tying to play 3.5.

Seriously I spent a year on people (often PnP DMs!) showing up in Owlcat and Steam Forums crying about Core being impossible and I'd walk them through step-by-step how to own with autoleveled companions using their basic spells and abilities and they'd act like I was a newb for not splashing three classes on each companion even after I demonstrated how they were nerfing themselves. PF ruleset takes some getting used to - people aren't used to things being so straightforward. Some of you guys have great multiclass builds, most people don't.

Well it is impossible to teach someone who has lvl 6 fighter with fearing glaive in his hands and uses Dazzling Display to suck less.
I don't have access to any way to Wild Shape yet so Fearing Glaive (alternating with Dark Horn situationally) it is until I do. Now I have access to both (Standard Dazzling and Fear) for Garrison since Scion Dazzling doesn't need a specific weapon. The ability is pretty good, you should look into it:

Draconic Prescence.jpg

Just remembered I haven't actually tested it yet. 50% chance it's just a Full Action lol knowing Owlcat.

I still can't understand why a player of your caliber wants to slum it with the anklebiters - you know that Fear proc runs out of steam pretty fast anyway and that 98% Shaken (there are no Critical Misses on Skill Checks but I'm not quite high enough on Intimidate yet to get there on everything) beats 40% Fear - since you know enough to legit catch me making an ass out of myself three times a week already.

Desiderius

Patron
Archon's on Daeran worked... once. Now does nothing. That's never not worked. On the bright side tanky Seelah now up to 40 AC in the Garrison and drawing tons of heat. Might have to get Ember in here for some Protective Luck.

Comedy.jpg

Comedy of Errors: Wenduag forgets to turn on her Cold Iron ammo, Owlcat forgets to give Cambion Rangers Precise Shot, Seelah somehow crits for 15 (don't know why it's so low and how it got to be odd, though the Smite is on Jeslyn who she couldn't quite reach yet), Ranger damage is reduced because of DR/Evil from Prot Evil I think. Seelah's ranking up UMD for some Illusion Magic, we'll see how tanky she can get. Going to try going that way instead of Shield Bash this time. Succubus and Alchemist house was no pushover on Core:

Direct Bomb no Evasion.jpg

TIL that Reflex save on Bombs is only for Splash Damage. Direct hit does full damage even thru Evasion. Team had Resist Acid, Communal up here. Probably worth investing in Protection Scroll on Hard/Unfair.

But Jeslyn fight was a little too easy even with two abilities not working and no Inquisitors helping. Will kick up to Hard for ch 2. Wend Fighter1/Slayer is nice (will ride Bismuth), Ranged Cam on Detainer (+3 Keen with Enchant) getting there, Daeran looking forward to his Mount, MC still on Glaive with 3 attacks now (from Haste and lvl 6 iterative) and Reduced Wolj doing most of the damage. No pet yet and limited AoE buffs so not really designed for early Unfair but will end up there.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wish owlcat would start offering more arcane caster options among the npc companions, being stuck with Octavia/Nenio gets tiresome.

Come to think of it, Owlcat never gave us pure wizard character from the get go and it's very strange. The only wizard they gave us was Cephal in Varnhold's Lot and by far he's the best companion in that game - wise, cunning and deadly effective. I truly regret that he had to die - he would be a perfect advisor instead of Octavia. Hell, he would be one of the best in Wrath too - just imagine having him and Regill in your party, absolute first choices for evil/lawfull party.
I do agree that kingmaker lacks a proper full arcane caster, but wrathfinder has nenio.

It would be nice if there was a sorc as well though, just so you had 2 options for full arcane casting. But I guess they felt ember+woljif would make up for it.

All these headaches you people have because you refuse THE TRUTH :smug:

i say, while playing the game with a respecced party with no proper arcane caster
It's more of an observation of owlcat priorities. For full divine you have Sosiel, Daeran and Camel. In Kingmaker you had dorf and tristian. For full arcane you have nenio, and in kingmaker no one (arguably octavia doesn't count since she has dips in rogue).

It's just kind of weird that we've had 4 divine(Cleric) companions, 1 divine(shaman) and 1.5 arcane(wizard). No druids, no sorcs.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lulz. Now they're just trolling me. Another playthrough goes on hold...
And that is why everyone are making fun of you. You once again defend the thing that you've theorycrafted but never actually tried in-game.
Near release I took it and it didn't even let you qualify for shatter etc.
It was the same for my Scions, but this bug is a bit weird - sometimes special Dazzling qualified for Shatter, sometimes not, and was never able to find a pattern.
Btw DC 17 for the Glaive is pretty ok up until the Drezen on Hard and more than adequate in chapter 1, but local snowflake kid plays on Core iirc. And he probably does not have Shatter on anyone at the lvl 6 yet , so intent was to use Dazzling for the -2 debuff.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At least you can fix qualification by adding the feat via Toybox. The full round/standard action being broken is more egregious

Humbaba

Arcane
Playthrough #4 continues to be a cakewalk. Sometimes I find myself checking the difficulty settings to make sure that I'm still on core. This playthrough was the first time I fought Zacharius at lost chapel and he was a complete joke, killed him in about a minute after some basic pre buffing and dispelling. Goes to show how weak casters are in pathfinder. A level 7 party should have absolutely no business taking on a lich, I feel like getting to fight (and win) Zacharius at that stage was a bad decision by the devs.

Anyway, now that I have mythic weapon finesse I do retarded amounts of damage. To overcome the bloat, you must yourself become the bloat.

Hilarious foreshadowing for Camellia in lost chapel btw., I never took her along until now and she keeps going "Oh no look at all this blood, how terrible :shredder:". Very excited to see for the first time how her character develops. I already spoiled myself on some aspects of her romance though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"In Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, you either die sleek, or live to see yourself become the bloat" - Cercei Lannister

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Oh no look at all this blood, how terrible :shredder:"

First time she did it I thought "ok, cool, bit of foreshadowing for a character arc there, looks like she's got a few skeletons in her closet", but she does it *every. single. time.* there's a scene with blood. At this point I'm half-expecting her to jump out of the monitor at some point and shout "I AM A CALLOUS MURDERER YOU FUCKING GAMER SWINE"

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

First time she did it I thought "ok, cool, bit of foreshadowing for a character arc there, looks like she's got a few skeletons in her closet", but she does it *every. single. time.* there's a scene with blood. At this point I'm half-expecting her to jump out of the monitor at some point and shout "I AM A CALLOUS MURDERER YOU FUCKING GAMER SWINE"
One of my favorite things about early release wrathfinder discourse was all the idiots being completely floored by Camel being a XXX. Never saw it coming, deny it making sense afterwards.

She's still a cool companion though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

One of my favorite things about early release wrathfinder discourse was all the idiots being completely floored by Camel being a XXX. Never saw it coming, deny it making sense afterwards.

She's still a cool companion though.

I'm undecided with her. I like her whole backstory and her dad, it's very cool, and her dialogue is proficiently written. But the constant foreshadowing is gettin a bit much at this point :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At this point I'm half-expecting her to jump out of the monitor at some point and shout "I AM A CALLOUS MURDERER YOU FUCKING GAMER SWINE"
...well uh not to spoil anything but uh...

At this point with all this foreshadowing, it's hardly a spoiler ;) I may have no idea about the exact nature of her murderdeathkill-fetisch, buuuuuuut it's pretty evident she's some type of ultradepraved killer

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
At this point I'm half-expecting her to jump out of the monitor at some point and shout "I AM A CALLOUS MURDERER YOU FUCKING GAMER SWINE"
...well uh not to spoil anything but uh...

At this point with all this foreshadowing, it's hardly a spoiler ;) I may have no idea about the exact nature of her murderdeathkill-fetisch, buuuuuuut it's pretty evident she's some type of ultradepraved killer
You'll see :M

Desiderius

Patron
Lulz. Now they're just trolling me. Another playthrough goes on hold...
And that is why everyone are making fun of you. You once again defend the thing that you've theorycrafted but never actually tried in-game.
Near release I took it and it didn't even let you qualify for shatter etc.
It was the same for my Scions, but this bug is a bit weird - sometimes special Dazzling qualified for Shatter, sometimes not, and was never able to find a pattern.
Btw DC 17 for the Glaive is pretty ok up until the Drezen on Hard and more than adequate in chapter 1, but local snowflake kid plays on Core iirc. And he probably does not have Shatter on anyone at the lvl 6 yet , so intent was to use Dazzling for the -2 debuff.
That’s not true. You were saying it’s bad. It isn’t (or wouldn’t be if it worked) and of course I would:

(1) Use it for the debuff. It’s +2 AC/DC for the team. I've been working Dazzling in in various ways since Dirge stopped stacking. AoEs are good. If this worked it would be the best yet.

(2) Use it *with* the Glaive. It was Running Wolf who said the Glaive made Standard Dazzling useless. At this point in the game I'd choose between the two on Standard Actions and (obviously) attack with full. Sometimes I don't have a reliable hit (and especially wouldn't if I were playing Unfair) so Dazzling would be better, sometimes Standard Attack with the proc.

(3) The Standard Dazzling gets better as the game progresses. "Up to Drezen" is the point. The switch to Natural Attacks full time would coincide with picking up Demon (and the Demon teleport). At that point I'd no longer have the Glaive anyway and be relying on Full Attacks for damage so would use the Dazzling as my go to Standard Action, and that's the point the rest of the team would have Shatter too. Still a long way from there to Frightful Aspect.

(4) Yes, this is my first Demon run and first time playing Scion. Everything is theory until you test it. I'm reporting the test. I did reload an old save (and I don't have a Demon save yet anyway lol) to test out Dragonform and how it interacted with Motherless and decided that wasn't necessary but yeah should have tested then for simple functionality. But blame Owlcat for not implementing their game, not me for the concept since you haven't tested that yourself yet, which is the point of why negative theorycrafting is bad.

(5) Starting on Core and kicking it up difficulty as you go is playing the game as designed. That's what higher difficulties are for and makes for the smoothest difficulty curve since you start out with so few abilities. Especially when testing a new class/Mythic/strategy (like tank Seelah) it gives a margin for error (which is to be expected when trying something new) but you can tell if something is effective if you're blowing things out enough to kick up the difficulty.

Your local snowflake kid had to start out on Normal on the DLC since I hadn't played for six months. Slowly working my back to Hard which was always the best fit for my playskill level though I did do Unfair with a specific party designed for it. Will be interesting to see if I can get there on this one at some point.

It's just more vaporware. They didn't get a lot of things implemented before the team was shifted to Rogue Trader. That's bad business.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Read it Daidre. You're too good of a player to be slumming with the anklebiters. This is why we can't have nice things.

TLDR: the idea is to trade a single Bite for a reliable mass Shaken. The class facilitates the latter (with the main benefit being the (Advanced) Weapons Training for Natural Weapons and scaling Natural Armor (and eventual Keystone) to make Gold Dragon suck less and accentuate Demon strengths) at the cost of one Feat (Intimidating Prowess) and items I already have (Seashell, Gloves, etc to boost Persuasion).

That's a good trade unless it turns out that I want to Move/Charge/Teleport in Surprise Round then Full Attack after that instead (or use Leopard/Smilo Form w/ Pounce). May end up a mix or will decide to shift items to Daeran/Ember and at that point the result of the test will be that you're right.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

'i can fix her' - words spoken before disaster

IllusiveBrian

Novice

Don't worry, she gives a perfectly innocent explanation of her bloodlust in Act 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom