Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Camel

Scholar
I'm almost certain this is fake news, but can't be assed to go through all their companion DLCs full of Dragon Age gaylords.

Are you sure?
Pretty sure. Bioware added romanceable characters in expansions not in DLC.
Technically femShep can hook up with Javik in the Citadel DLC.
You can add Samara too with the Citadel but it's a question if you count them as a fully-fleshed romance.

Lodis

Educated
At least the Kingmaker DLC companion(s) were two hot Tiefling bitches. Even then in the DLC description romance wasn't even mentioned. But now they're happily parading around the fact that you can fuck some fat viking dude.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
At least the Kingmaker DLC companion(s) were two hot Tiefling bitches. Even then in the DLC description romance wasn't even mentioned. But now they're happily parading around the fact that you can fuck some fat viking dude.
What do you expect from a Cypress studio in 2023? The anti-alphabet-soup law in Russia was passed for a reason.

Rieser

Scholar
Fucking romances. How many RPG's are there were romance(s) actually add anything of value? I can't even think of an exception.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Fucking romances. How many RPG's are there were romance(s) actually add anything of value? I can't even think of an exception.
I like RPG romances. They add depth and alternative ways to develop a companion. And Owlcat Games are good at it.

On the other hand, I understand how it can irritate both American puritans and Russian lickspittles in the Duma. Who, basically, share the mindset.

Delterius

Arcane
How many RPG's are there were romance(s) actually add anything of value? I can't even think of an exception.
Mask of the Betrayer and Planescape probably qualify.

In Wrath the romances end up being interesting plotwise (YMMV) because of how mythic paths work within the story. For each mythic path you have companions that support and others that serve as a foil to the main character. For an instance I'd say Wenduag is the main supporting character for the Demon path, is romanceable, and should have some interesting choice words in certain scenes because of it. The Lich uses the romanceable companion angle in a very amusing way too.

No idea what all the hype about tavern defense is about. Maybe on Unfair I could see it being a problem, but it was a walk in the park on core with extra enemies and "advanced AI tricks" enabled. I didn't loot during combat though, so I'm sad to see I missed whatever things were carrying. Several of my characters were Level 6 though, as I was able to complete all the surrounding quests/areas. Much harder fights were the Shadow Demon and the alchemist with the mimics. At the time of the shadow demon, I didn't have any magic weapons, so I had to give it everything else I could muster. The succubus would have been bad since she charmed Woljk, but I had turned into to auto cast cantrips when the dominate was cast. Otherwise it was just a battle of attrition. Having a good time with this so far. It was worth the wait.

PS: Kingmaker had a surprisingly good soundtrack, and this one is nice too. Owlcat has a promising composer.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Protection from Evil (including the Communal version) blocks all succubi charms in the Tirabade Residence.
Yes it does. The problem is that PfE Communal only lasts 1 minute, while casting the regular one on the entire party would cost 6 spell slots. And once the ally is already Dominated, it does nothing.
So unless you metagame / play again and know what to expect / scout a lot, chances are you won't have the protection you need when the fight starts.

Heck, actually you can forget scouting in this scenario, as AFAIR the succubuss hides in another room, behind two meatshields - which will certainly trigger the combat before the succubus makes an entry.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
With all due respect, I have to disagree.

First, Owlcat's drop breadcrumbs to the player. This is what the fighters upstairs have (can be observed by pressing 'Y'):
Tirabade.Residence.Fighter..jpg
Profane.Gift.jpg
And because there is no succubus upstairs, one has to wonder where she might be.

Second: I was there with the 5th level party. +2 deflection and +2 to saves for such a party is not a small thing IMHO. So I was casting Protection from Evil religiously, and not only during this encounter.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
6 level slots is nothing once you get Abundant though
Oh, so you rest all the time, then? In Act 1 in particular?
Also don't need Shield of Faith, Shield, Mage Armor, Divine Favor, Remove Fear, Bless, Unbreakable Heart and so on?

Yosharian

Arcane
6 level slots is nothing once you get Abundant though
Oh, so you rest all the time, then? In Act 1 in particular?
Also don't need Shield of Faith, Shield, Mage Armor, Divine Favor, Remove Fear, Bless, Unbreakable Heart and so on?
You should have two casters who have access to the spell, minimum. Shield is mostly irrelevant, casters are going to get hit regardless. Mage Armor is good.

You don't need to cast SoF AND PfE versus most enemies, early game.

Unbreakable Heart is a short term reactive spell, and is available to bards.

So no, I don't really struggle to cast this spell on everyone

Before Abundant, yeah it's an issue

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
I would argue that there is no need to use Shield of Faith against evil opponents until the SoF caster reaches level 6. Protection from Evil (and from other alignments) gives the same deflection bonus to AC, but also +2 to saves and immunity from mind control.

When SoF starts giving +3 to AC - then the choice becomes harder. And, for sure, if the opponents are of mixed or neutral alignment then Shield of Faith is better.

Delterius

Arcane
So, apparently Ulbrig (datamines):

Is someone from Old Sarkoris who got lost in the fey world and was transported forward in time. He also thinks he's on a crusade against fey.

Hopefully this fucker reacts hard to a Trickster playthrough given that it makes a mockery of everything he should hold dear. Hell, I could see him being even more pissed off at Trickster than Regill, who's remarkably civil about it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, apparently Ulbrig (datamines):

Is someone from Old Sarkoris who got lost in the fey world and was transported forward in time. He also thinks he's on a crusade against fey.

Hopefully this fucker reacts hard to a Trickster playthrough given that it makes a mockery of everything he should hold dear. Hell, I could see him being even more pissed off at Trickster than Regill, who's remarkably civil about it.
It's somewhat odd to me to have that as the backstory for a shapeshifter since screwing around with your own form strikes me as inherently chaotic and possibly fey-like.

Not that big of a deal, it's just my $.02.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom