Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous gets first screenshots, Kickstarter on February 4th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Although there was no mention of crowdfunding when the game was announced last month, it turns out that Owlcat Games do indeed plan to run a Kickstarter for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. The campaign will launch on February 4th, 16:00 GMT. We'll have to wait until then to see the first gameplay footage, but they've released a batch of screenshots via PCGamesN to tide us over in the meantime. I'll post them here along with Owlcat's announcement:

Greetings, Pathfinders!

It feels like only yesterday we have released Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The game we put our souls into, the game of our dreams. And it is you, our community, who made it possible in the first place. We want to say thank you to all backers and supporters, for your passion, feedback, and patience. As you know, we always take work with our community very seriously. Especially with all the teasers and jokes (if you remember our first free DLC and announcement of announcement you will understand what we are talking about).

And with our next project – Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous – we want to bring work with the community to the next level. We will engage content creators, build a new forum for players’ discussions, held detailed surveys during alpha and beta tests, and put emphasis on feedback from our community. You will help us to shape the game, drive our vision and achieve the most daring ideas. And to accomplish this we will launch a new Kickstarter campaign.

Why Kickstarter, you might ask? We want to make this adventure as epic as we imagined it when playing Wrath of the Righteous at the table. And, of course, we want our next game to become better than the previous one in every aspect. While we already have essential investments, there are a lot of things to add and improve. And you will be able to support us in this endeavour!

On February 4th, we will lift the shroud of mystery and share our creative vision, revealing all the main features we aim to deliver, along with the first gameplay video of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. And even more details are coming in the Kickstarter updates!

Subscribe to our newsletter so you won't miss anything.
Looks like 2020 is finally warming up.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm afraid pretty graphics ain't gonna cut it for cult success.

Kingmaker's problems weren't bugs. You can fix bugs. Eventually. The problem was polluting traditional RPG gameplay with Kingdom management. And they seem to want to keep some of that, as per the other thread:

They already confirmed a similar system Atchodas. This type of gameplay serves several different purposes:

1) neo-gamer hipsters love minigames
2) it's a nice trick for prolonging gameplay hours artificially
3) it's easier to automate gameplay, than create traditional quest structure
4) it's useful as a stretch goal (crowdfunded games end up with a ton of feature bloat)

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Kingdom management was pretty cool. Owlcat has a winning formula there, and they would be fools to abandon it. It does need some work, of course, but I see a lot of potential.

At any rate, all my favorite parts of Kingmaker are the ones that Codexers have been complaining about, and I am used to it by now.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Kingdom management was pretty cool. Owlcat has a winning formula there, and they would be fools to abandon it. It does need some work, of course, but I see a lot of potential.

At any rate, all my favorite parts of Kingmaker are the ones that Codexers have been complaining about, and I am used to it by now.

Firstly, your name is Trashos. So what you like is Trash.
Secondly who the fuck wants to lose the game because you didn't run over to the lastest invasion of shit that your army should be on to while you are frolicking around the woods looking for a muguffin.
Especially when most of the time passess as you watch your monopoly piece move around the map. "oh shit run back to the castle"

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

The kingdom management was shit. What's next? Choosing curtains and jars for the inn? Seriously?
If they like the kingdom management part so much they can make a new spin-off Pathfinder strategy game like Crossroads Inn for example. Personally I don't give a fuck until this game has a proper TB mode.

Thonius

Arcane
Oh the edge! Edgy squad arrived!
At least that game is exist and we have actual information and screenshots. I'm looking at you Baldurs Gate 3 and darn Sven.

Last edited:

Riel

Arcane
I am sure they have learnt from the success of Turn Based Mod and chose to implement it themselves, haven't them?

:nocountryforshitposters:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
If even 5% of the player base touched the turn based mod, I'd be surprised.

That said, their RtwP combat needs work. It's too much of a clusterfuck right now. I'd like a lever like the one in PoE that let's you slow the game speed by varying amounts. Pathfinder seemed to have something similar by pressing shift+space, but then it would annoyingly pause the game right after.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Not excited by this just as not excited by PKM because of it sjw bullshit content, sorry.
And yeah, the amount of metagaming (or reloads) you need to successfully win kingdm management seems awful.

Thonius

Arcane

That said, their RtwP combat needs work. It's too much of a clusterfuck right now. I'd like a lever like the one in PoE that let's you slow the game speed by varying amounts. Pathfinder seemed to have something similar by pressing shift+space, but then it would annoyingly pause the game right after.
There is slow down already in the game.

Kingdom Management was fine. Not amazing, but if you took the time to actually sit down, read the tooltips, and understand the system, then it was in no way difficult; if you want to make the argument that it was tedious I will allow that, although I disagree, but difficult? No. IMO the only real problem with Kingdom Management was how discretely it was integrated into the rest of the game, such that the basic gameplay loop turned into: 20 minutes of Kingdom Management stuff ---> Quest pops ---> 1-2 hours of dungeon crawling ---> 20 minutes of Kingdom Management----> etc. They two aspects of gameplay were not cohesively interwoven, and the overall package suffered for it.

Au Ellai

Educated
The kingdom management had some shoddy implementation, but overall the idea was sound. It was a good way to make the game's time limits work and mean something with some actual gameplay related choice and consequence over the usual "choice and consequence" obsidian/bioware style binary dialogue options changing future dialogue options (though there was some of that in Kingmaker too). Luckily a lot of the shit aspects of kingdom management can be modded away, and hopefully while developing this new game they take a look at a lot of the popular uses of the kingdom management mods and implement some of that into the game. It's a sound idea, just needs a better implementation.

Regarding turn based combat, it's naturally superior in every way in a vacuum, but taking encounter design into the equation, Kingmaker has way to many throwaway trash fights compared to actual encounters, and those kind of encounters make turn based combat less desireable. It's encounter design that decides whether tb is better than rtwp for a game, and it seems Owlcat is keen on the "hordes of trash mobs" style fights with actual engaging encounters happening maybe once every 40 or 50 fights. Too bad they're probably sticking with the same encounter design in the new game. The Pathfinder system has potential for engaging combat, but the game throws 80% of it out the window favoring stacking sneak attack and throwing all your guys at their hordes of basic guys and mobbing them to death 1 at a time rolling like 90d6 per round in damage.

1) No TB.
2) Absolutely shit adventure Path they have picked to make a sequel.
3) The game will be released as an alpha playtest.
4) Their "new" classes of WotR are already implemented in Kangmaker with mods. Fucking Lazy Ruskies.

Still d20 murderhoboing; so I might wait a year or so before the game gets playable/patched/modded with TB mod and on some MASSIVE discount on steam.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Glad to see most people here didn't like the kingdom management. The first game would have been the best isometric RPG I've played since BG2 if not for that. Hopefully this next game will be better.

I liked the kingdom management. I'd make some minor changes to how advisers are handled, but overall it gave me what I felt the strongholds from BG2 were somewhat lacking. I will admit that having to return to your borders to manage issues feels distracting, but it's a small price to pay. The overall experience is good. This game is still hands down, the best RPG since BG2. I started playing this past October (2018), so I have yet to experience a single bug, glitch, or unpolished anything. With everything hammered out, I have very high expectations for this follow-up title.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane

There is slow down already in the game.

If you mean the shift-space or whatever the default command is, it always pauses my game right after the slowdown, so you have to be constantly pressing the command. Is there a way to modify that? On PoE it's just a toggle that I can turn on and off at will.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regarding turn based combat, it's naturally superior in every way in a vacuum, but taking encounter design into the equation, Kingmaker has way to many throwaway trash fights compared to actual encounters, and those kind of encounters make turn based combat less desireable. It's encounter design that decides whether tb is better than rtwp for a game, and it seems Owlcat is keen on the "hordes of trash mobs" style fights with actual engaging encounters happening maybe once every 40 or 50 fights. Too bad they're probably sticking with the same encounter design in the new game. The Pathfinder system has potential for engaging combat, but the game throws 80% of it out the window favoring stacking sneak attack and throwing all your guys at their hordes of basic guys and mobbing them to death 1 at a time rolling like 90d6 per round in damage.
They need to tone their hordes down, cut trash encounters, create quality ones and offer TB option. That will be a good game, finally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom