Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Update #75: Dev Diary #1 - Recording a Live Orchestra

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

One of the stretch goals during the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter campaign last year was for an enhanced soundtrack with selected themes performed by a live symphony orchestra. Today Owlcat published a video about the making of that soundtrack, apparently the first in a series of developer diaries they've produced. It features appearances from their head of publishing, audio director and composers, alongside various staff from the Baltic Symphony Orchestra in Saint Petersburg. They also released a video of the orchestra performing the game's main theme. Both are included in the latest Kickstarter update. The dev diary is entirely in Russian, so be sure to turn on subtitles.

Some interesting details here, especially from the orchestra's sound director. Also, it's nice to see a game that didn't record its soundtrack at that orchestra in Budapest.

Vatnik Wumao
The sound design matters too, chaver.
A good video game soundtrack can be made by a composer just sitting at his computer.
Sure, but a composer just sitting at his computer cannot replicate the sound of a live orchestra being recorded.

Not that the latter is necessary for a good soundtrack, mind you. Owlcat just picked some Kickstarter stretch goals that were feasible to deliver and which wouldn't go over the budget reached through donations.

Vatnik Wumao
Waste of resources.
The music is already fine.
What's not fine is the fanfic-tier companions and unfinished classes with many unimplemented abilities from the pnp. I don't have high hopes that either of these will be fixed before release.
And do you think that there would've been a change for the better in that regard had they picked some goal related to the game systems rather than some fancy orchestra which is purely outsourced and paid with a set amount of money upfront?

Codex Year of the Donut
Waste of resources.
The music is already fine.
What's not fine is the fanfic-tier companions and unfinished classes with many unimplemented abilities from the pnp. I don't have high hopes that either of these will be fixed before release.
And do you think that there would've been a change for the better in that regard had they picked some goal related to the game systems rather than some fancy orchestra which is purely outsourced and paid with a set amount of money upfront?
I don't think it was a wise idea to make orchestra music a stretch goal at all.

Humanophage

Arcane
The quality of companions doesn't really depend on funding.

The orchestra is likely not very expensive, since it's Russia and it has an overabundance of poor classical musicians. At least they get to sponsor some nice intelligent cultured people.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Imagine making a Pathfinder RPG without Investigator but adding dumb shit like skalds and witches. Absolutely bonkers.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
People that do not know how to read a fucking musical note are judging a whole orchestra...

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Saw some letsplay recently, gosh it’s boring. Dragons and demons fucking each other at some party. The definition of cringe and immature writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Amused that the people in the main theme video are wearing the same entry-level Sennheiser cans I have. They hurt my ears if I wear them for more than a hour. :\

As for the theme itself, well it's a fantasy RPG theme all right.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
it's in beta and it's mediocre
owlshills are in deep denial right now, it's looking like deadfire #2

enjoyed my playthroughs of the solasta and BG3 EAs way more

I would pay for you to do more game reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom