Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, but which class isn't OP in Kingmaker?

I wasn't arguing about usefulness, but it's a fact that we are at the second game and we still have 0 druid companions.
When I think of druid companions, I think of Elanee. One of the worst companions to ever exist. Sure, Faldorn is cool, but she's barely a character, like all the others in BG1. Jaheira... yeah, she isn't a pure druid and we know all about her. I think she's lazily written in BG2. There's Cernd, but I just forget he exists most of the time. Aaaand that's it? I honestly can't think of any others.

EDIT: Oh, right, PoE1's ...what's-his-face. He was slightly fun. His quest didn't make much sense.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Druids always felt lacking in distinct identity to me. From Baldur's Gate to Icewind Dale to Neverwinter to Pathfinder, they've never felt like anything more than EcoPriests. Slightly flavored derivatives of existing divine casters, rather than fully realized nature-based casters. And Shamans and the like don't help.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There has always been a pronounced separation between the druids' signature abilities. They being able to cast spells has nothing to do with their shapeshifting for example. Shapeshifting also doesn't take into account most of your equipment, I know why they do it, to prevent them from having ridiculous stats, but the forms end up underpowered because of it (combined with myopic specialization of the forms themselves). They also have no way to specialize as a build most of the time, so they come off as the worst parts of a jack of all trades. They have issues multiclassing, somehow nothing complements their talents or doesn't work like you'd expect it to with the forms. NWN1's Shifter was a better Druid than the Druid themselves. Fun too, but underpowered.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I wasn't arguing about usefulness, but it's a fact that we are at the second game and we still have 0 druid companions.
When I think of druid companions, I think of Elanee. One of the worst companions to ever exist. Sure, Faldorn is cool, but she's barely a character, like all the others in BG1. Jaheira... yeah, she isn't a pure druid and we know all about her. I think she's lazily written in BG2. There's Cernd, but I just forget he exists most of the time. Aaaand that's it? I honestly can't think of any others.

EDIT: Oh, right, PoE1's ...what's-his-face. He was slightly fun. His quest didn't make much sense.
Yeah, there's some sort of conspiracy around Druid companions in RPGs. Elanee is one of the few things I still remember from NWN2 and not in a positive way. I like Faldorn a lot, but mainly because she seems completely nuts and I still can't believe she reaches level 5 spells.

This lack of Druids is one of the main reasons why my first character in Kingmaker, PoE 1 and Deadfire was a Druid.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah, there's some sort of conspiracy around Druid companions in RPGs. Elanee is one of the few things I still remember from NWN2 and not in a positive way. I like Faldorn a lot, but mainly because she seems completely nuts and I still can't believe she reaches level 5 spells.

This lack of Druids is one of the main reasons why my first character in Kingmaker, PoE 1 and Deadfire was a Druid.

Feyspeaker Val was probably strongest companion. Druids in P:K have (at least) one spell every level that’s just really effective, plus pet OP. After playing all the other Vals Longstrider at lvl 2 was such a relief (she can keep her Full Plate on).

Lacrymas

Arcane
After Cleric, Druid is my go-to character. I actually started Kingmaker as a Druid, hoping to multiclass with Rogue or Vivisectionist in order to boost the forms with a sneak attack, but I haven't gotten around to playing more of it yet. I'm really fascinated by the shapeshifting, but the only games to have ever done it right are NWN1 (Shifter) and strangely enough WoW. But I never seriously played a Druid in WoW either because Priest (later on Paladin because they were more like Priests at one point) was my one and true love.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfìnder actually has feats to make weapon attributes to follow you in your shapeshifts (Weapon Shifts). Then Feats for spellcasting under shapeshift (Natural Spells). Then feats for natural attacks to use improved unarmed strike line of feats (Feral Combat Training). Honestly with them in the game Druid as a shapeshifting full caster support DPS is good.

The problem is all of them are not in the game. COTW added them to the game(besides the improved unarmed one) and suddenly Druid is fun to play and is very distinctive from Cleric. Owlcat intentionally butchered Druid implementation in PfK.

Another problem is Druid weather manipulation powers don't translate well from PnP to video games I guess.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
How come pathfinder doesnt have improved animal companion or mount grappling feats? A ranger and his bear should be able to do a assisted suplex on a opponent that adds more difficulty check to break the pin or possibly a stunning effect also if they fail their fortitude save.

Desiderius

Patron
Pathfìnder actually has feats to make weapon attributes to follow you in your shapeshifts (Weapon Shifts). Then Feats for spellcasting under shapeshift (Natural Spells). Then feats for natural attacks to use improved unarmed strike line of feats (Feral Combat Training). Honestly with them in the game Druid as a shapeshifting full caster support DPS is good.

The problem is all of them are not in the game. COTW added them to the game(besides the improved unarmed one) and suddenly Druid is fun to play and is very distinctive from Cleric. Owlcat intentionally butchered Druid implementation in PfK.

Another problem is Druid weather manipulation powers don't translate well from PnP to video games I guess.

Natural Spell is in base P:K and you get Weapon Shift for free. Why people always talking out of their ass about P:K? Intentional butchering? What?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Natural Spell is in base P:K and you get Weapon Shift for free. Why people always talking out of their ass about P:K? Intentional butchering? What?

I don't think Weapon Shift is in the base game. I can't remember having it during my first playthrough using Druid last year. And I don't think there is Improved Weapon Shift either (add nonphysical attributes of Weapon to natural attacks). Tbf Greater Weapon Shift (add weapon enhancement bonus to natural weapons) is kinda moot due to having Greater Magic Fang.

And I guess I stand corrected that Natural Spells is in the base game. Probably missed it when I first played Druid last year.

Desiderius

Patron
I can confirm that you get Weapon Bonuses of equipped weapons (like the +6 CHR from Oppressor) while Shifted, which as you note is what matters. You also get the AC (and bonuses!) from Shields. There is no reason to think that they intentionally shafted Druids, when they didn't even shaft Druids at all. They're the best anti-Fey class in the game.

Only problem for Feyspeaker is that Natural Spell requires 13 WIS even though their casting stat is CHR.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I can confirm that you get Weapon Bonuses of equipped weapons (like the +6 CHR from Oppressor) while Shifted, which as you note is what matters.

I think that's just because it's an enhancement bonus. Without Improved Weapon Shift you are losing characteristic such as Axiomatic, Shocks etc when shifted.

With Weapon Shift feats, at least as implemented in CotW your weapon materials and damage type matters. This is only useful for Cold Iron and niche damage type when you are fighting some enemies that are very resistant to your base shapeshift natural attack type.

With Improved Weapon Shift tho, mostly on hit effects are transferred to your natural weapon. In the base game the only weapon that did this is Thundering Claw of Bear God (and if I remember correctly the weapon is buggy).

Efe

Erudite
so if you get the dueling sword that does force damage, your natural attacks become force?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
so if you get the dueling sword that does force damage, your natural attacks become force?

I am not sure which Dueling Sword is that so I am not sure entirely.

For example that Frost Shcok Heavy mace? Now each of your natural attacks have additional 1d6 frost and 1d6 shock damage.

That Harbinger Earth Breaker? Now you deals additional 2d6 to giants enemy etc

Desiderius

Patron
Dueling Sword adds 1d6 force.

Twin Crystals Two-Bladed Sword Exotic does Force Damage.

InternalRevenue

Educated
Did they ever fix Thundering Claw of the Bear God in Kingmaker?
What was wrong with it? That was the only weapon I ever encountered that replicated the improved weapon shift effect without having the feat btw, those flaming nunchucks certainly didn't.

Desiderius

Patron
This game is going to be goood. Oh, here’s a random cave you could have easily missed. Have a couple or five challenging minibosses and some non-broken loot with unique effects. Don’t mind if I do.

BG/HoMM/Diablo mash-up is gonna be lit.

Pretty stoked my Espionage Expert (btw, Hunter’s Bond - Outsiders is pretty good) caught that high DC trap on the way out of the chapel to fight the big boss.

Devious placement.

jungl

Augur
This game is going to be goood. Oh, here’s a random cave you could have easily missed. Have a couple or five challenging minibosses and some non-broken loot with unique effects. Don’t mind if I do.

Pretty stoked my Espionage Expert (btw, Hunter’s Bond - Outsiders is pretty good) caught that high DC trap on the way out of the chapel to fight the big boss.

Devious placement.

Have you played the alpha? The cracks are beginning to show. Allods online assets everywhere with city buildings. In a few months from now everyone here will get that reality check.

Efe

Erudite
whats wrong with allods online assets? do they look bad?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Devious placement.

Have you played the alpha? The cracks are beginning to show. Allods online assets everywhere with city buildings. In a few months from now everyone here will get that reality check.

Really?

NICE!
e9b7187c185a860336d8c1adb264a939.jpg

guestposting

Educated
What was wrong with it? That was the only weapon I ever encountered that replicated the improved weapon shift effect without having the feat btw, those flaming nunchucks certainly didn't.

Thundering Claw used to be bugged—that damage didn’t actually carry over when you shapeshifted.

Alpha plays great and looks great. Don’t think anyone will notice or care if they’re reusing assets from past My.com titles. It’s probably placeholder stuff anyway.

Elex

Arbiter

Thundering Claw used to be bugged—that damage didn’t actually carry over when you shapeshifted.

Alpha plays great and looks great. Don’t think anyone will notice or care if they’re reusing assets from past My.com titles. It’s probably placeholder stuff anyway.
You mean the allods assets stuff is real?

someone have a screen? i’m curious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom