Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat's next Pathfinder RPG - now in ALPHA STAGE 2

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by purpleblob, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Shinros Learned

Shinros
    Tabletop wise, Lich's are any evil, but in the context of the game and what I've played I agree with this. Also, I think a chaotic evil character would just annoy your Lich master. Now the reason why Demon and Angel has so many alignment choices is pure gameplay mechanics, Angel and Demon are basically default and mirror each other. You need to pick a path, can't go without one. Angel is basically good and Demon is evil. So far, what I've observed from the Alpha and Leaks, trying to go against the grain within your path can lead to certain consequences. The path that is quite clear in this regard is Aeon at the moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. BarbequeMasta Learned

BarbequeMasta
    That's gonna be my first character as well, a hell knight Signifier necromancer who enforces the Law at any cost.

^ Top  
  3. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    Did they kick Avellone from this or not?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. kreight Literate

kreight
    i dont think so. they are being quiet about it because of the recent scandal. but i think hes still on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    LG Hellknight Aeon -> GD

^ Top  
  6. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    First playthrough is definitely LN/CN Tiefling Demon. For Class I am considering Bloodrager or ES.

Do Magus Spell Combat works with a natural weapon, say, Claws? I am thinking of doing spell-strike powered natural attack as a theme but not sure whether the game allows it.

^ Top  
  7. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki
    are there any specific cavalry warfare weapons ingame, ie lances etc?

^ Top  
  8. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    not in alpha, weapons are just normal type

some weapons and equipment do have mounted combat effects (e.g. in Chapter 1 I think there is Longspear that does additional damage dice when used by character in mounted combat).

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. bec de corbin Educated

bec de corbin
    Can halflings ride dogs? Because that is an important cavalier mechanic

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    The demon path can be lawful? Also neutral? Angel can be non-good? Bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Milton’s Satan is a fallen angel.

^ Top  
  12. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Mechnically speaking, the Angel choices are still mostly Lawful and/or Good, but as with any alignment choice, they move your character into certains axis. Choosing a mythic path doesn't necessarily force you to always use the Mythic based choice to solve your problems too which means it is possible to still do Evil actions when you are doing Angel Mythic Path, and vice versa, do Good things when you are Demon/Lich. Now consistently and always choosing your Mythic Path related choice will more than likely move you to the intended alignment and if you role-play your character seriously everything should probably work. Now the game is only halfway finished so I am not sure if there are consequences if, say, initially LN Angel (so you can take the Mythic Path) fall to Evil alignment later and whether the game will acknowledge it or not.

Narratively, usually picking the Mythic-Based choice will result in consequences unique for that Mythic Path but there are also neutral/non-mythic choices in most major decision point. I personally haven't done trial and error to find and compare tho.

Speaking of design, this "range" of alignment is needed to ensure that the player can move forward in the story without being locked out from Mythic Progression all0together. The choice of mythic after all is tied to mechanical action (picking them during level up) and having too strict of alignment restriction might result in a fail-state of some sort, namely can't progress in Mythic Level beyond Level 2 (mythic level 1 - 2 are neutral Mythic Hero path, altho you do get a flavor of choice on Level 1 it doesn't lock you out of anything). This is why Angel and Demon, both are default Mythic Paths that will always be available, have the requirement of only non-Evil/non-Good. You literally can't lock yourself out of Mythic progression.

Another design decision which probably influence this is probably to reduce the amount of complaints. Even during the KS there is no end of people asking question about being a "Good Lich" nevermind the implication of what Necromancy do is Evil in Pathfinder universe. By having a range of alignmet you allow certain degree of flexibility.

Narrative design wise, I think this is realted to the theme of each path as well, altho not always the case. For example, from what few Demon content is in the game (no Demon content in Ch 3 which where all the Mythic stuff happens), you usually has choice of "unleashing rage" or trying to suppress it with your willpower. This lead me to believe that internal route of Demon will be between being consumed by rage as per your demonic nature or trying to keep in check and use your evil power as needed to defeat your adversaries (anti-hero). This way I feel this is logical to have a Neutral or even Lawful Demon as strong discipline is needed to suppress your evil side. But this of course is pure speculation on my part.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    The irony being that the Koiné Greek translated “meek” has that exact sense of power under strong discipline in the original.

Disciple and discipline (obv) from same root.

Also translated gentle as in the English gentlemen who were at the time establishing an Empire on which the sun never set.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lawntoilet Cipher Patron

Lawntoilet
    FYI: New patch fixed a number of issues with Tactical Combat (like not being able to fight Purple Worms, Pathfinder not giving extra movement, etc.). I can finally get my Royal Court approval back up to 100.
    The UI gives a bit more info in the Tactical Combat layer now, as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. BarbequeMasta Learned

BarbequeMasta
    BTW do mythical paths affect tactical layer directly? like a Lich having access to undead units etcs.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    Yeah, except in Paradise Lost they stop being angels. Literally and figuratively. I guess allowing for deviation to prevent the game riding on rails has some merits. It also seems that compromise is a strong theme in this adventure path.

^ Top  
  17. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Do they?

^ Top  
  18. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I think what we can glean from Milton is that angels fall first.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    i want an army of satyr archers as trickster

• incline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    Oh my god I see that the CoTW guy already has a mod for the Alpha. Godlike

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Joseph Stalin
    Where?

^ Top  
  22. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    Sorry, I spoke too soon. Someone said they did but I checked the author’s GitHub and I don’t see anything.

^ Top  
  23. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Joseph Stalin
    Srom.

^ Top  
  24. Johnny Biggums Literate

Johnny Biggums
    I got the wrong weapon focus. Where can you retrain?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Catacombs Cipher Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You'll likely find an answer in the hundreds-upon-hundreds of pages in the ongoing Pathfinder thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.