Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
unique sparks able to change a being's nature against all odds are part of the "system".
Then having supernatural races tied to various alignment-bound planes is nonsensical. Either the devils are lawful evil (respectively demons for chaotic evil) and thus their plane is the embodiment of lawful evilness or the plane shapes the morality of its inhabitants and thus any race, supernatural or otherwise, should be able to live there and be melded to the right alignment.

Not really. It's like saying the existence of a swamp is nonsensical because a desert exists somewhere else, or because there is an interface zone between the two.

Riel

Arcane
(...) PoE's combat is boring and bland and it's character system irrelevant, on the other hand Pathfinder's is complex, deep and sweetly unbalanced, there are many paths to power but not all paths lead to balanced characters as it should. Otherwise... what's the point of "building"....

Nigger, please. I do enjoy PoE2 combat, but YMMV, I guess. However the PoE2 character development system is definitely very rich, impactful and also sweetly unbalanced.
Fact is, it is difficult to even compete in the character building with Pathfinders. But there are not many games with character building options as robust as PoE2 with its multiclassing and how various abilities interact with each other.

If you read with attention you will notice there's exactly ZERO "2"s in my post. I never could stomach playing through the full original PoE due to bland combat and I never tried PoE2 about which I have heard little good things, anyway, not interested. I used to be an story faggot, but no more, while I can appreciate that Durance's tale is interesting and philosophical I am just not interested in lore any more, I just want to bash things and experiment with a solid character system. Hence me liking Kingmaker a lot more than PoE, Kingmaker's story may be childish and direct but to be honest I just skimmed through it, even skimming through PoE's story is a chore I couldn't stomach till the end.

Vatnik Wumao
unique sparks able to change a being's nature against all odds are part of the "system".
Then having supernatural races tied to various alignment-bound planes is nonsensical. Either the devils are lawful evil (respectively demons for chaotic evil) and thus their plane is the embodiment of lawful evilness or the plane shapes the morality of its inhabitants and thus any race, supernatural or otherwise, should be able to live there and be melded to the right alignment.
Not really. It's like saying the existence of a swamp is nonsensical because a desert exists somewhere else, or because there is an interface zone between the two.
If a plane isn't the embodiment of a particular alignment, sure. Just as there can be an evil kingdom or a good one on Golarion inhabited by mortals. But planes are clearly meant to represent the metaphysical embodiment of an alignment (think of Platonic forms). And if that's the case, the supernatural races that inhabit that plane are themselves metaphysical embodiments of creatures following that particular alignment. So you can take the devil out of hell, but you can't take the hell out of the devil.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Vatnik Wumao
"b-b-but the character sheet says she's lawful neutral!"
and my monster manual says she's chaotic evil, eat shit
You know that one of the most fundamental rules of this game is that specific trumps generic, right?
all demons are evil and are to be slaughtered

Such bloodthisrt could only come from a demon, PREPARE TO BE PURGED ABOMINATION OF HELL.
No bloodthirst, mortal. Just pure celestial goodness. :obviously:

CaesarCzech

Scholar
You know that one of the most fundamental rules of this game is that specific trumps generic, right?

Such bloodthisrt could only come from a demon, PREPARE TO BE PURGED ABOMINATION OF HELL.
No bloodthirst, mortal. Just pure celestial goodness. :obviously:

Oh and how you can pove this is pure celelestial goodness instead of demonic infestation masquarading as celestial godness in typical example of demonic subversion and corruption ?.

Codex Year of the Donut

I am the embodiment of neutral good.

Humbaba

Arcane
Alright lads I and the Patient Sigma Males (PSM) that I represent expect a full status report regarding bugs and such by September 4th at the latest! Failure to comply will result in SEVERE bitching on our part!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Alright lads I and the Patient Sigma Males (PSM) that I represent expect a full status report regarding bugs and such by September 4th at the latest! Failure to comply will result in SEVERE bitching on our part!
Not playing it day 1 is peak cuck, Here is my report.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Not playing it day 1 is peak cuck, Here is my report.
It doesn't release for another 2 years, this is just the paid beta.
It's BG3 thread? I swear, Infinitron and his tricks...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Imho PFK's biggest flaw was its inventory management. It has a nice inventory UI but the gameplay is so reliant on consumables due to all the different effects you need to protect yourself from and resting restriction that you are searching your inventory very often for potions and scrolls. I would find the exact potion i need within seconds if the damn inventory had a keyword search function, but apparently none of the devs ever played the game on higher difficulties.

You can usethe different sorts to make it sort of easier but yeah not ideal.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
so I heard from Rusty and other fine fellows that this game is even more degenerate than kangmaker... :decline:

maybe if the game isn't a complete slog like the previous one and has better encounter design I'll get it in a few years when it's finally stable, complete and 75% off.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Shut up tranny you may bitch like one but you sure as hell wont be a woman

/joke

Gradenmayer

Learned
We have someone who's replaced his personality with being a monk and someone who's replaced his personality with being a barbarian. Find 2 more people as far gone as you two and you can have a full DnD party of clown dipshits.
Being mad at Larian is your personality, so we have 3 clowns at this point.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
(...) PoE's combat is boring and bland and it's character system irrelevant, on the other hand Pathfinder's is complex, deep and sweetly unbalanced, there are many paths to power but not all paths lead to balanced characters as it should. Otherwise... what's the point of "building"....

Nigger, please. I do enjoy PoE2 combat, but YMMV, I guess. However the PoE2 character development system is definitely very rich, impactful and also sweetly unbalanced.
Fact is, it is difficult to even compete in the character building with Pathfinders. But there are not many games with character building options as robust as PoE2 with its multiclassing and how various abilities interact with each other.

If you read with attention you will notice there's exactly ZERO "2"s in my post. I never could stomach playing through the full original PoE due to bland combat and I never tried PoE2 about which I have heard little good things, anyway, not interested. I used to be an story faggot, but no more, while I can appreciate that Durance's tale is interesting and philosophical I am just not interested in lore any more, I just want to bash things and experiment with a solid character system. Hence me liking Kingmaker a lot more than PoE, Kingmaker's story may be childish and direct but to be honest I just skimmed through it, even skimming through PoE's story is a chore I couldn't stomach till the end.

I see. Well, there were some nice, overpowered abilities/items in PoE1, but definitely less cheese overall then in Deadfire.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
so I heard this game is even more degenerate than kangmaker... :decline:
This is Jenkem.

Jenkem parrots IdPol talking points instead of trying out promising CRPGs as to form an opinion for himself.

Don't be like Jenkem.
He is a good example of a bad example,should see him talk about disco,a game he has never played but he have expert opinions about. 101% kwan that one.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
so I heard this game is even more degenerate than kangmaker... :decline:
This is Jenkem.

Jenkem parrots IdPol talking points instead of trying out promising CRPGs as to form an opinion for himself.

Don't be like Jenkem.
He is a good example of a bad example,should see him talk about disco,a he has never played but he have expert opinions about. 101% kwan that one.

Have you ever stated anything truthful ONCE in your pathetic gypsy life?
WBlTdUq.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Decided to peak reddit questions (I know my mistake)

BPol6Vw.png

Why people always ask this garbage question? Do they know that the Lich ritual involves the sacrifice of a innocent life?
Liches can be any alignment. Per the 2e ruleset, at least.
In rare cases, liches of a most unusual nature can be found which are of any alignment.
Liches are basically turbo-autists who are beyond good and evil. They just care about their to-scale miniature model train sets magical research. However, they don't care about human life, so they're usually seen as evil based on their actions.

Though, yes, it requires a lot of humanoid blood to be shed. Including a virgin and some infants. Maybe they could have used orcs?

My main issue with this argument, which is to say Takamori's, not yours, is that "you do mean things" is not the definition of "evil" in these games usually. Sure they may say, "Evil is being selfish", but that's in the eye of the beholder despite the core conceit of the alignment system being black & white morality.

Is a lich who ascends by sacrificing only evil aligned people still evil? Golarion's lore is so retarded the proper answer would be, "Yes" but only because they replaced Sigil with the Boneyard and the Ao with Pharasma who hates Undead. But in terms of just pure alignment faggotry, I think it's heavily up for debate. And I know Owlcat tends to lean in the direction of providing different paths even if it isn't supported by the idiots who wrote the Pathfinder setting.
That is usually called Lawful Evil. You do Evil acts thinking it is for the greater good.

Also a character like Dexter only killed Evil people. He was still not considered a good guy.

Lawful Evil is supposed to mean using the Law to accomplish acts that only benefit yourself (i.e, evil). In original alignment system, killing babies of a race that is evil is not an evil act. Everyone has their own idea of what this means, but largely this rule still applies to a lot of the modern iterations of D&D, except when the moral system of some author intrudes.

In Golarion, the rule seems to be undead are evil across the board... because. No real justification except Pharasma says so. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played yet, but the NPC Lich who
provides some help on your path to becoming a Lich in WOTR is basically a perfect example of the original question. He's a guy who became a Lich for all the right reasons, to win a battle for the "greater good", and it is only after being a Lich for a long time that he "goes bad". But you could as well argue he is still sticking to the greater good in terms of prioritizing destroying the Worldwound over the welfare of living beings, and this SAME rubric applies to the actions of the Gods and even "good" rulers in the story, who do all sorts of horrible things to some living people with the justification that less will suffer once the Worldwound is dealt with, rather than standing on principle. But the gods and the mortals doing heinous things are good just because, while undead are undead because original sin or something.

To a certain degree I think Owlcat is playing off the inconsistencies in the alignment system as presented in Golarion by providing you different choices in most Mythic paths, but what "good" or "evil" means in terms of Wrath's storyline gets really fucking confusing even from the outset. Sometimes doing mean things to demons is evil. Other times its good. Its all very schizophrenic. This especially goes for the Hellknight stuff which is often classified as Lawful Evil even when it doesn't make sense (for example, the Hellknights are not prioritizing their own benefit, quite the opposite).
That is completely wrong. Alignment is not assigned to you by other humans but by Gods and world itself. Good and Evil are basic forces, never changing and not something to discuss. You are not evil because you are selfish or want best for others, you are evil when you do evil acts.
This is why I gave my example of LE character that does evil acts but for what he considers a greater good.

I use LE as example for this because Evil characters that do evil acts for "greater good" are usually doing it for Order and Law thinking that those are more important than just doing Good. Also Fallen Paladins usually stay Lawful but can turn Neutral or even Evil.

BTW you can still kill evil people and not become evil but you have to have a good reason for it. You don't just go down the street, cast Detect Evil and murder anyone that shows up on it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom