Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
People here are going to be conflicted between wanting to experiment with fox abilities and not wanting to be a fucking weeb.

Pounce at 10 BAB I think peeps will talk themselves into it. Especially with Cav now in game.

Disciple 7 tank vs garg.jpg

Disciple 7 Dazzle.jpg

Disciple 7 vs High Cleric.jpg

Disciple of the Pike MC doing it all at level 7

Percy

Cipher
People here are going to be conflicted between wanting to experiment with fox abilities and not wanting to be a fucking weeb.

Haha yeah I always play nenio in human form for the aesthetics.

I wonder how a fox devil vivi would go with all the natural attacks and feral mutagen

Sharpedge

Prophet
So my overall impression so far now that I have got a decent way in is mostly positive. Companions do not irritate me too much. There is a lot of space for character customization (as expected of a pathfinder game) which is great. The amount of reactivity currently implemented is adequate and there is a wide variety of item choice. The wide variety of item choice is actually really impressive and the bonuses are also quite varied as well, much better than the choice in kingmaker for sure. Whilst if you do decide you want to use some obscure exotic weapon it may take you a while to find one, you can almost be assured that one of that item does exist and is fairly powerful. The game also has some challenging boss fights which you will occasionally encounter as you progress the story, definitely a ramp up a notch in difficulty from most other cRPGs so again, a positive there. The game is fairly buggy, however, as it is not yet finished I will not hold that against it yet. If it has the same level of buggyness upon release however (which is a possibility, given kingmaker), I will be holding that against it.

Onto downsides. My first major complaint is how shallow the strategic layer is. Army management is easy, so easy to the point that it undermines parts of the story element of this "difficult crusade against evil" due to how easy it is. The AI on the strategic layer is not good and furthermore, it also has no response to many of the abilities you can assign commanders. With very little investment you can steamroll every strategic layer fight and as it currently stands the strategic layer might as well be nothing more than a superfluous chore. Demonic armies should launch attacks against you more frequently and in higher numbers. Armies should have an upkeep cost. Soldiers disbanding their units due to morale etc, should be something which occurs frequently. There should be multiple places you are expected to defend and once you start taking locations from demons, there should be some expectations that you keep demonic hordes out of them and penalties if you fail to do so. My current feeling about the strategic layer is either it needs to be improved dramatically, or it needs to be removed. It looks very poor in contrast to the rest of the game and in my opinion drags it down because of how shallow it is. I really enjoy games like HoMM, if you want to include elements from those types of games you should do it properly and not half arse it like it currently is.

I do also have issues with the enemy AI in normal combat, however this is a much more minor problem and I do expect this to be fixed. The enemy AI is often unaware of how to deal with immunities properly. If you have a deathtouched animal companion for example, you will have enemies repeatedly using negative energy attacks against that animal companion, restoring its HP. I would understand if they did it for a single round, to simulate the idea of them "not knowing" that the enemy is healed by that damage type. But I experimented with things like just leaving a companion with a specific immunity in the range of an enemy with a damage type for multiple turns and after 5+ rounds they were still actively helping the party by using a damage type which is helpful to me, when they do definitely have other options available to them.

Percy

Cipher
So my overall impression so far now that I have got a decent way in is mostly positive. Companions do not irritate me too much. There is a lot of space for character customization (as expected of a pathfinder game) which is great. The amount of reactivity currently implemented is adequate and there is a wide variety of item choice. The wide variety of item choice is actually really impressive and the bonuses are also quite varied as well, much better than the choice in kingmaker for sure. Whilst if you do decide you want to use some obscure exotic weapon it may take you a while to find one, you can almost be assured that one of that item does exist and is fairly powerful. The game also has some challenging boss fights which you will occasionally encounter as you progress the story, definitely a ramp up a notch in difficulty from most other cRPGs so again, a positive there. The game is fairly buggy, however, as it is not yet finished I will not hold that against it yet. If it has the same level of buggyness upon release however (which is a possibility, given kingmaker), I will be holding that against it.

Onto downsides. My first major complaint is how shallow the strategic layer is. Army management is easy, so easy to the point that it undermines parts of the story element of this "difficult crusade against evil" due to how easy it is. The AI on the strategic layer is not good and furthermore, it also has no response to many of the abilities you can assign commanders. With very little investment you can steamroll every strategic layer fight and as it currently stands the strategic layer might as well be nothing more than a superfluous chore. Demonic armies should launch attacks against you more frequently and in higher numbers. Armies should have an upkeep cost. Soldiers disbanding their units due to morale etc, should be something which occurs frequently. There should be multiple places you are expected to defend and once you start taking locations from demons, there should be some expectations that you keep demonic hordes out of them and penalties if you fail to do so. My current feeling about the strategic layer is either it needs to be improved dramatically, or it needs to be removed. It looks very poor in contrast to the rest of the game and in my opinion drags it down because of how shallow it is. I really enjoy games like HoMM, if you want to include elements from those types of games you should do it properly and not half arse it like it currently is.

I do also have issues with the enemy AI in normal combat, however this is a much more minor problem and I do expect this to be fixed. The enemy AI is often unaware of how to deal with immunities properly. If you have a deathtouched animal companion for example, you will have enemies repeatedly using negative energy attacks against that animal companion, restoring its HP. I would understand if they did it for a single round, to simulate the idea of them "not knowing" that the enemy is healed by that damage type. But I experimented with things like just leaving a companion with a specific immunity in the range of an enemy with a damage type for multiple turns and after 5+ rounds they were still actively helping the party by using a damage type which is helpful to me, when they do definitely have other options available to them.

This is a fair assessment. Thankfully for people who do not like the crusade part, there is an option to turn it off.

Desiderius

Patron
Unfortunately judging by the Discord people do need the strategic layer to be this straightforward. And it probably does early on to help people build up their confidence enough to learn how it works.

The people who grew up on dumbed down MMOs will give up if it looks like they won’t be able to readily master it. They’re not used to having to.

Desiderius

Patron
Tbf having a deathtouched pet is kind of a corner case (sane would apply to Dhamphir tho) and there aren’t many foes after the beginning with Neg energy attacks and that is kind of the distinguishing feature of those guys.

It can be an annoying threat to rest of party.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Tbf having a deathtouched pet is kind of a corner case (sane would apply to Dhamphir tho) and there aren’t many foes after the beginning with Neg energy attacks and that is kind of the distinguishing feature of those guys.

It can be an annoying threat to rest of party.
Its more widespread than initially appears. Many of the mythic paths give an immunity and if an enemy happens to use that particular damage type, they won't change their tactics to accommodate it. There are also items that give immunities (1 cloak for acid resistance, 1 cloak for fire resistance and probably other items I am unaware of) and there are spells (fiery body, icy body). I would guess Lich is probably the point where its the most noticeable since they have spells to give such immunities to the entire party, but as I have not played lich and only looked at its spells (it has 1 spell which confers undead immunities to anyone it is cast on) I cannot comment further than that. All I would really like is in the situation when an enemy is hard countered in such a way, either it actively seeks another person to attack, or if it does have other options available to it, it uses those. Having a cleric continuously use harm on someone who is healed by it whilst looking amusing, isn't exactly what I want the AI to be doing. It is as I said though, a minor issue and something I can overlook.

Percy

Cipher
I started a new game with a Kitsune Vivisectionist/Barb and so far its been easy.

I have no real way of seeing if the claw/bite attacks etc stack though.

All I know is my kitsune is smashing cunts.

The good thing is, if you dont wanna bite cunts, morph into your human form and be sensible. (i.e against water elemental)

I still feel a bit gay though.

Percy

Cipher
I do wish they had one of those things were it showed what each character did

i.e:

kills
damage
deaths
cocks cucked
etc

Percy

Cipher
A few things which may be spoilers.

There are some reactivity things which I have found.

If you go demon path against Hosila, Wendaug will turn against her. This makes the fight much easier.
If you do this, you have to figh a vision t at Tower of Estrod. (very easy)
If you do not go to the library before the Defenders Heart attack, you lose allies and the ability to be a trickster.
You are not punished for going to Daearans house in time.
I have not ever left Horgus place for after attack.
If you leave the Square for after attack, you can not save Ramien.
if you do not use light of heaven when talking to Hurun, you may have to kill him.
You must recruit Woljif for Finnean (please correct me?)
If you dont rescure the thiefling before attack you lose them for the Grey Garrison assault.
If you are a rogue, tranny sue (thanks desidurus) will give you some shit
If you beat up Staunton as a demon by failing will check he gives you a +3 will cloak (not bad)
If you visit Library after attack, you just find story teller - which is bad if you wanna be a trickster
If you only open bridge at Town Center and dont talk to Hulrun before Defender Heart attack, Hulrin kills the faggy aasimar

Desiderius

Patron
I have no real way of seeing if the claw/bite attacks etc stack though.

You do. It’s right there in the Combat Log. Mouse over the attack and it will show the number.

Bites stack, claws don’t.

Desiderius

Patron
Did they finally add option to show hit chance for at least turn based mode?

All the information is right there in your combat log for any mode. This game has more info than any I’ve ever seen and they keep adding more.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I want hit chance visible on hover, its a shame they are incompetent to introduce this or just doesn't care.

Desiderius Im not a fucking autist who will right click info every enemy char on screen, look at their defences, open my char, compare it, calculate the hit chance and memorize it. You have to be nuts to do this everytime.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
So, crusade system is shit?

Not again it feels like Groundhog Day:negative:

Desiderius

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitpost take.

It's fine so far. As with KM people are going to negative theorycraft themselves out of even trying it and miss a good chunk of the game. The Illusionist really needs Magician's Ring for instance.

Desiderius

Patron
You only need to look at the ones that you're missing and figure out a better strategy.

That's the fun part.

Desiderius

Patron
Every modern tactical game which have dice rolls have also hit chance on hover. XCOM, Underrail. Apparently serbians are more competent than russians.

No, just their players.

They put it on locks now so they'll probably do it on attax too soon if you keep whining enough.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Dumbfuck Shitpost take.

It's fine so far. As with KM people are going to negative theorycraft themselves out of even trying it and miss a good chunk of the game. The Illusionist really needs Magician's Ring for instance.
Kingdom Management was so boring and lacked so much interesting potential. I had hoped the crusade system would be better because of battles but from what I’m reading it’s poor and tedious like KM.

Percy

Cipher
Dumbfuck Shitpost take.

Kingdom Management was so boring and lacked so much interesting potential. I had hoped the crusade system would be better because of battles but from what I’m reading it’s poor and tedious like KM.

Play the game and find out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom