Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat's next Pathfinder RPG - now in BETA

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by purpleblob, Nov 27, 2019.

1. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I believe those Bald Hill sequences act as hard gates. It is very important for a game designer to know where the player is at, in specific moments of the game. BG 2 had them too, for example, they were just less obvious.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sweeper Magister Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    I agree, the time limits should have been way more strict.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. mediocrepoet Arcane Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, that's possibly a reasonable point. I think there are far better ways to introduce them if you're meaning challenges to test a party.

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    the only time you HAVE to go back to the capital is when the bald hilltop curse starts hitting and even so you still have a week to go, provided you can contact the capital and tell them to move against the monsters that are pouring out of it

in every other instance, the game is waiting at your convenience and just letting you know there's gonna be content at the capital when you return

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • No No x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    No. I meant, as a game designer it is very helpful to know exactly where the player is at a certain moment in space and time. Having a hot spot a click away from their hub, makes it considerably easier.

I'm not defending Owlcat here. If anything, it's obvious that it is their first game. Just saying the method is very convenient.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    I feel like people are overstating the importance of time limit vs rest in Kingmaker.

While the time limit does limit rest somewhat, post the first 2 chapters where your lack of numerical advantage and short buff duration necessitating more rest, I truly feel under no pressure to reduce resting due to the moving time. After buffs last for 6+ minutes you can probably clear an area in 3 - 4 rests top which is more than enough time given by the game.

Edit: I usually finish an area in 2 rest tops. But I can see needing 3 or 4 I guess that would probably more than enough rest for a single area

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    The purpose of the time limit is to snap newbies out of their stupor of casually doing a full rest for +1 attribute heal. It also keeps early game harder if you pack less than 3 party members (meaning 2 or solo). Essentially, the idea is to not disrespect the game and have fun. And if you solo (or MC + Jaethal) after you get the Heart of Ira, you don't really need to rest anymore.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Xamenos Cipher Patron

Xamenos
    Unless you are a complete and total imbecile you are never in any danger of outright failing a chapter due to the time limits. The true cost is kingdom management. The more time you spend clearing areas, the less time you have to upgrade your kingdom stats and get the good artisan gear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Yeah I do agree somewhat the more rest = less time in Kingdom Management, but at that point it's already in optimization and optional objective territory. The game is in noway require you to have heavily advanced kingdom to be finished and you can survive by doing just enough. Artisan is nice but once again their items are not really needed to finish the game normally. People are talking the rest limitation is on Swordflight level or something which it isn't.

I guess yeah resting for any number of small damage is discouraged. And if you start playing solo/duo/trio whatever, turning off exp sharing off etc, it is already outside how the "normal game balance" is designed for (the game is designed with exp sharing on and full party) then all discussion is out of the window.

Within paramter of normal gameplay the rest is more than enough for you to dilly dally.

^ Top  
  10. Xamenos Cipher Patron

Xamenos
    Well, yes. That's what's great about KM's timers, they're almost wholly carrot. The stick is in people's heads. And this always amuses me when people complain about them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If you try to "finish" the game without Artisan gear/upgrades the game will feel shitty because so much of the design is gated behind it. That's where all the "X weapon type isn't supported!" stuff is coming from.

At the end of the day the intended play pattern was to sit in the capital ranking stuff up until you accumulate enough quests in an area to justify an excursion. You do your exploring naturally as part of that process. Not open world not intended to be. Game goes a lot faster that way too. Gimped items + aimless wandering = game feels too long.

The rewards that other games give for exploration are given here for developing the Kingdom and that was by design at cross purposes with randomly wandering around. People who never figured that out Plus never figured out how to manage travel/fatigue are the ones complaining about timers. The change in Wrath will be making these sorts of trade-offs more explicit since people raised on faceroll aren't familiar with making them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    At least part of that is on the design. Given how lenient/upside oriented they were people complaining about them didn't so much suck at the game as not even understand what game they were playing.

Having just beaten my head against the Dungeon of Secrets (M&M IX) last night I can sympathize.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dishonoredbr Savant

Dishonoredbr
    The Timers in first game were fine. I just thought it was bullshit that some quests doesn't have timers so you don't know if you can do mainquest and leave side before last part of chapter or it's better to do side stuff first. IIRC i lost one or two quests by this. They just need to make more clear that some quest are locked to chapter.

Also i'm still salty that i lost a good two hours trying enter varnhold but i couldn't because i had to wait a certain event (a letter) but no info when would happen..

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tyrr Educated

Tyrr
    I like the way Persona games do it.
    Free time = reward for being good in combat/dungeon running. You feel rewarded for not having to rest all the time and doing stuff in an optimal manner. Time is a valuable resource.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  15. Nm6k Novice

Nm6k
    I thought that is game's version of the timer would be the demon army's that would come after your main base

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lawntoilet Cipher

Lawntoilet
    You do have to achieve a number of Crusade objectives every week to keep your Crusade stats from tanking. Obviously the game isn't complete enough to fully know what the consequences are yet for having good or bad Crusade stats, but it's reasonable to assume that good stats will give you better outcomes.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Has direct effect on morale of combat troops similar to HoMM (extra atk for high fleeing for low).

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Xamenos Cipher Patron

Xamenos
    Does it affect the RPG part of the game in any way though? Something like the artisans of KM?

^ Top  
  19. Lawntoilet Cipher

Lawntoilet
    I don't think the Crusade stats affect that, but yes, the artisan/crafting system in this game is part of crusade management.
    Generally you find some artifact in the game somewhere, then you get a project card that lets you choose from several options for crafting that artifact into something.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Xamenos Cipher Patron

Xamenos
    Major incline right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    And of course the higher your troop morale the easier it is to defeat the major demon armies defending those artifacts.

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. CaesarCzech Learned

CaesarCzech
    Like Owlcat are retarded. ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME ?

There was such an easy solution, Make timers extendable for resources or in case of you having done certain thing like quest or doing certain specific thing. Like why im not given option to hire mercenaries to fight trolls costing me money but increasing the timer ? Why im not give option to use for example the Hellknight order (not the cringy one the one that is aligment locked and obscure) fight Armags hordes giving me extended time ?. Or have Vordkai if you recruited him figure out something that will slow the season of bloom timer, Like are you telling me lich that was literally ruler of massive empire is not capable of slowing down buch of ravenous plants ? have timer but have it natural rather than time gate.
    That way timer is logical because you cant sit on your ass forever with game just freezing time but its not hard limit of you have 90 days no more, it basically integrates cost/opportunity. you need more time to do stuff ? you can if you sacriface some other stuff such as resources.

Like that way it helps atmosphere because you have to solve that problem sooner or later but you can actually take action as ruler not just as an adventurer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    It would be good for old timers but current one was changed to be so much more generous anyway that you don't need to slow down anything.

Also they already stated multiple times that there will be some kind of new management for you to not just sit on your ass, timers or no timers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. CaesarCzech Learned

CaesarCzech
    i get it, its just i cant figure out how they didnt get this idea of basically allowing your ruler actions to extend timers even if you had to deal with it as adventurer.

^ Top  
  25. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    They probably coded events around particular dates and stuff and it would mess it all up.

Look how long it took to fix them Bokken quest.
    ...it is fixed right?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.