Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gradenmayer

Learned
Kineticist seems amazing in early game but I wonder how he becomes in late game. I mean, does kineticist gets powerful abilities to compete with ridiculous bloated enemies?
Psychokineticist with 1 level into traditional monk could solo the first game on Unfair Difficulty. They are real strong.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I am pretty sure I've fucked myself over by killing demon armies too fast on the world map... there isn't really anything left to kill and my morale is reducing steadily because I've "stopped winning battles".

Any ideas how to stop a game over whilst still exploring the huge amounts of actual game content I haven't done in this chapter yet?

I hope I've simply misunderstood what is happening and maybe someone can correct me. If not, Owlcat must have been smoking crack when designing this mechanic.

Salvo

Arcane
I am pretty sure I've fucked myself over by killing demon armies too fast on the world map... there isn't really anything left to kill and my morale is reducing steadily because I've "stopped winning battles".

Any ideas how to stop a game over whilst still exploring the huge amounts of actual game content I haven't done in this chapter yet?

I hope I've simply misunderstood what is happening and maybe someone can correct me. If not, Owlcat must have been smoking crack when designing this mechanic.

Impossible since each army you kill gets added to the total even if the banner stays green... what CH you in?

Thonius

Arcane
Lol, spirited charge + mounted mastery + mythic power attack and my charge damage went from 40 to 80 in one level, with crits doing 240 (longspear).

now how to work pounce in there, unless there are items the only source I know of is Barb rage powers
Find the boots, ez 30 40 dmg depending on your atl skill, not sure if it's skill points only or...

Lhynn

Arcane
My brain is starting to have an idea.

If I pick up natures whispers can I for example put everything into CHA and use a finesse weapon and have super high ac and ab?

Maybe dueling sword or elven curve blade.
Wait, why would you go full dex with nature whispers? Are you retarded? It replaces it, not stack with it, but only for AC.

What you do is pick that up, pick up scaled fist level and then go full str and charisma, maybe as a paladin or a sorcerer/dragon prestige.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Am I really going to lose Seelah permanently when I go full lich?

This is really going to hit me hard because I'm playing with the option for only my active party members to receive experience points and haven't built up anyone else even close to resembling a tank.

It might hurt so bad to lose her that now I'm second-guessing going lich at all.

Please advise, and please do so without specific spoilers -- and by tagging me (I avoid this thread in general so as to not spoil myself).

Thanks from Ye Olde Man.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

This is really going to hit me hard because I'm playing with the option for only my active party members to receive experience points and haven't built up anyone else even close to resembling a tank.

It might hurt so bad to lose her that now I'm second-guessing going lich at all.

Please advise, and please do so without specific spoilers -- and by tagging me (I avoid this thread in general so as to not spoil myself).

Thanks from Ye Olde Man.
It's big BLACK WOMAN. Why do you need a BIG black woman?

Spider lady can tank. You can get mercenary to tank. Or you can play RPG and have party members instead of tanks.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Liches don't have companions to tank for them. Liches MAKE their own tanks to tank for them.

And Liches don't second guess. Liches walk the path to immortality with confidence and determination, sacrificing anything superfluous; such as poorly written black paladins.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Thanks from Ye Olde Man.
Playing with active companion experience is going to hurt you later in the game, majorly.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
poorly written black paladins.
Why is Seelah poorly written?

She is a Lawful Good Paladin of a warrior deity Iomedae who has the internal motivation of a Neutral Good Cleric of Sarenrae, the goddess of redemption. She is a Tristian in paladin's clothing. And that's how she is written. I don't know whether this conflict will be resolved or not, but her second personal quest screams about it. Small deeds, small folk, personal connections versus epic battles.

Do you guys even read?

Sykar

Arcane
poorly written black paladins.

She is a Lawful Good Paladin of a warrior deity Iomedae who has the internal motivation of a Neutral Good Cleric of Sarenrae, the goddess of redemption. She is a Tristian in paladin's clothing. And that's how she is written. I don't know whether this conflict will be resolved or not, but her second personal quest screams about it. Small deeds, small folk, personal connections versus epic battles.

Do you guys even read?

They just do not like people that you can insult with the big bad "N" word. Your run of the mill bigot, at best, basically.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's in poor taste to quote yourself, but it seems I am forced to.

And let's calm down with the fanboy attitudes. It's not like the game is either trash, or perfect.

So let's get this out of the way real quick with a simple 4th grade level comparison between 2 characters in WOTR:

Seelah:
The first thing that you learn about her is that she likes to help the needy without being asked. (she tries to help Anevia when she's stuck under a rock)
The second thing you learn about her is at the end of the Maze, when you learn that she always struggles to do what's right.
And the third thing you find out about her is that... she likes to drink. (you find this out anywhere from 1h to 3h into the game)

These are 3 traits. Meaning you NEED 3 traits to have a character. (obviously the more you have, the more complex the character is, of course.)

Compare this to Regill, where these things are there in the first 60s:
1. he has incredible resourcefulness
2. he has critical thinking
3. a grasp of basic strategy, and reaction to basic enemy strategy
4. charisma and, at least, basic leadership skills
5. concise and precise speech in accordance to his situation
and after the battle (which can range from another 60s to 10 minutes:
6. gratefulness, but not putting you beyond suspicion of corruption/being on the enemy side, given his
7. seemingly extensive knowledge of the enemy he's facing

Right?

And now let's put ourselves in the mind of Amber Scott, because it's not fucking hard. She can't clear 4th grade education, so...

Seelah is a character because:
1. She likes to help people.
2. She's female.
3. She's black.
4. She's a paladin.

Problem is: a character cannot be defined by their sex, colour of skin or job; because THOSE ARE NOT TRAITS OF CHARACTER. A fucking 10 year-old knows this.

So, what do we have then?

[insert quotes of Codexers here saying Seelah is boring]

The real problem is that this got past the Owlcat writing team. And Mishu-mishu. These people apparently are WRITERS. That went to a school of WRITERS. And there, they were taught how to WRITE.

Why... my brain is smooth as an ice rink and I seem to know better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You answered this question here.

She is a Tristian in paladin's clothing. And that's how she is written.

This is why Seelah is poorly written.

When it's addressed as a conflict and a potential reason why she could fall from grace, it's not poorly written at all. Especially given her backstory and way that she became a paladin which is explicitly addressed in various parts of the game both in terms of what you're told about, but also what she does.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's in poor taste to quote yourself, but it seems I am forced to.

And let's calm down with the fanboy attitudes. It's not like the game is either trash, or perfect.

So let's get this out of the way real quick with a simple 4th grade level comparison between 2 characters in WOTR:

Seelah:
The first thing that you learn about her is that she likes to help the needy without being asked. (she tries to help Anevia when she's stuck under a rock)
The second thing you learn about her is at the end of the Maze, when you learn that she always struggles to do what's right.
And the third thing you find out about her is that... she likes to drink. (you find this out anywhere from 1h to 3h into the game)

These are 3 traits. Meaning you NEED 3 traits to have a character. (obviously the more you have, the more complex the character is, of course.)

Compare this to Regill, where these things are there in the first 60s:
1. he has incredible resourcefulness
2. he has critical thinking
3. a grasp of basic strategy, and reaction to basic enemy strategy
4. charisma and, at least, basic leadership skills
5. concise and precise speech in accordance to his situation
and after the battle (which can range from another 60s to 10 minutes:
6. gratefulness, but not putting you beyond suspicion of corruption/being on the enemy side, given his
7. seemingly extensive knowledge of the enemy he's facing

Right?

And now let's put ourselves in the mind of Amber Scott, because it's not fucking hard. She can't clear 4th grade education, so...

Seelah is a character because:
1. She likes to help people.
2. She's female.
3. She's black.
4. She's a paladin.

Problem is: a character cannot be defined by their sex, colour of skin or job; because THOSE ARE NOT TRAITS OF CHARACTER. A fucking 10 year-old knows this.

So, what do we have then?

[insert quotes of Codexers here saying Seelah is boring]

The real problem is that this got past the Owlcat writing team. And Mishu-mishu. These people apparently are WRITERS. That went to a school of WRITERS. And there, they were taught how to WRITE.

Why... my brain is smooth as an ice rink and I seem to know better.

Yes, you never learn that she's a redeemed former thief who was overcome with guilt and decided to turn over a new leaf and try to atone for her misdeeds and make the world a better place. That would be unthinkable since you've clearly picked out her only three traits.

FriendlyMerchant

You answered this question here.

She is a Tristian in paladin's clothing. And that's how she is written.

This is why Seelah is poorly written.

When it's addressed as a conflict and a potential reason why she could fall from grace, it's not poorly written at all. Especially given her backstory and way that she became a paladin which is explicitly addressed in various parts of the game both in terms of what you're told about, but also what she does.

Based on her writing, she should've become a fallen paladin long before the game starts.

The_Mask

Patron
Yes, you never learn that she's a redeemed former thief who was overcome with guilt and decided to turn over a new leaf and try to atone for her misdeeds and make the world a better place. That would be unthinkable since you've clearly picked out her only three traits.
What you're being told and what you're actively seeing about a character is a BIG difference. The Star Wars prequels are all about how we're being told about Obi-Wan and Anakin being best friends; don't see that shit once.

You're being told that Yoshimo might dance on the head of a pin as well, but then his heart is blackened by a geas.

If you can't elaborate a character fast enough for me to get it, when that character is the first thing I see, then you have a problem.

And you can feel free to make me "get it" on that part of the issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom