Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Acrux

Arcane
That quest was written by a backer and is especially egregious. It makes no sense, and the writer makes his NPC essentially take over the game during this quest.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That quest was written by a backer and is especially egregious. It makes no sense, and the writer makes his NPC essentially take over the game during this quest.
And apparently it's unavoidable too, as its important enough to require an audience in my throne room and cause instability. :decline:
So I read about it on the wiki and you don't even get anything for turning in that git Darven. The game also forces you into a fight with the Hellknights and made them into cartoonishly evil bad guys, complete with shit attitudes.
I don't care if he donated 4k, this shouldn't have been greenlit especially as quest that can't be refused or ignored.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That one simple fact that so many people are mad at this quest is the best indication of its success. And while speaking about invulnerable Hellknights - think about your freaking G.I.'s in Iraq, Panama and everywhere else. Roleplay Manuel Noriega for a bit.

Acrux

Arcane
Are you the one who wrote that quest then?

I'm not sure how people talking about how awful the quest is, and many (who don't know it was made by a backer) using it as evidence of shitty writing by Owlcat equals success. Anecdotally, I've heard of a few people quitting the game over that quest because it ruined the experience for them.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That one simple fact that so many people are mad at this quest is the best indication of its success. And while speaking about invulnerable Hellknights - think about your freaking G.I.'s in Iraq, Panama and everywhere else. Roleplay Manuel Noriega for a bit.
I guess Frozen Outskirts and Bed of Chaos are the best parts of the Dark Souls series then.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Are you the one who wrote that quest then?

I'm not sure how people talking about how awful the quest is, and many (who don't know it was made by a backer) using it as evidence of shitty writing by Owlcat equals success. Anecdotally, I've heard of a few people quitting the game over that quest because it ruined the experience for them.
Maybe he means the quest was meant to be poorly structured and written?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, given the incoming changes in 1.20, I have decided to make my Charging Angel MC "legit" and respecced to a Cleric 8 / Sohei 7 / Gendarme 3 / Loremaster 1 (loosing Mutation Warrior 5, Axe Weapon Training, 2 feats and Mutagen). Given Sohei gets Weapon Training in Fauchards, I respecced to that. Hurts a little, but on the upside more reach is also fun when fighting mobs. Also reached Mythic Rank 8 yesterday and have chosen Overwhelming Flames Heavenly Sword upgrade. Aoe melee should be fun now :)

Sohei levels 7 and 8 are rather meh, but I couldn't find a worthwhile substitute (that would ideally progress the pet as well... or maybe skip these final horse level/s?).

Added: Overwhelming Flames with a reach weapon are cool :D
Only issue is finding enough enemies/sufficiently tough enemies to use more attacks...

9E1770101493B7ED96721EF85D045DE281D643DB

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Lann, cmon.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess Frozen Outskirts and Bed of Chaos are the best parts of the Dark Souls series then.
Bed of Chaos might not be the absolute best part, but it is one of the top 3 locations in Dark Souls 1. It breaks the routine, forces the player to forget whatever s/he learned before and adapt. Catapults the player out of the comfort zone. Brilliant.

And I feel 2 quests in Kingmaker resonate very well with some former Soviet citizens, and Mr. Mishulin is one of them. The Hellknights who behave like Americans in Vietnam - but the player does not have Viet Cong; and the hidden threat to the Kingdom before the Pitax events - which reminds me of the USSR under Gorbachev. Something is coming, the enemies are getting stronger, the state is under threat - but either no one knows what it is or no one cares. In the game's terms - those who don't care will see their kingdom ruined and the game over, those who care, but don't know need to persevere and they will win in the end.

aloeh

Novice
I started the sordsaint unfair form neoseeker, but I don't want use mercenaries. So I using respec mod in everyone to fit the build. I think when my game will get updated to 1.2 my pc would explode. :retarded:

Wanted make a sorcerer caster, but I really don't like animal companions. Maybe the whole mount thing is cool but for some reason to me it is no juice.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I using respec mod in everyone to fit the build. I think when my game will get updated to 1.2 my pc would explode.
I have started my last run with Respec and Tabletop Tweaks on 1.1.7 and switched to 1.2 beta right in the middle of the Chapter 3. I half expected that my playthrough will blow up into my face at any moment, but I have completed this run yesterday, with the last mods versions updated for beta combability, and had not encountered anything serious.

Worst thing I saw - game performance at Enigma went to complete shit, but I am not sure what to blame for it - 1.2 update, laggy code for some Trickster tricks or mods.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
And I feel 2 quests in Kingmaker resonate very well with some former Soviet citizens, and Mr. Mishulin is one of them. The Hellknights who behave like Americans in Vietnam - but the player does not have Viet Cong; and the hidden threat to the Kingdom before the Pitax events - which reminds me of the USSR under Gorbachev. Something is coming, the enemies are getting stronger, the state is under threat - but either no one knows what it is or no one cares. In the game's terms - those who don't care will see their kingdom ruined and the game over, those who care, but don't know need to persevere and they will win in the end.
No Lann, Kingmaker is not an allegory for the last days of the Soviet Union or the Vietnam war.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Act V reactivity needs some attention.

I sacrificed Sosiel in the ritual to become lich and Trever is very cool with it, he just doesn't care.
Also as a full fledged lich I went to Iz and met Hulrun, inquisitor of Iomedae, who is perfectly fine with me being a skeleton, "oh hi commander".
So is the queen, who after met, doesn't even notice your new state of existance.

Humbaba

Arcane
Username checks out.

But yeah the devs dropped the ball in act 5. The ineluctable prison is the only good thing about the endgame.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So I wanted to share an anecdote about my experience in the game about re-dedicating my character to good after going down what unfortunately could have resulted in an irredeemably-evil path. Bear with me; I realize this is a TL;DR.

The following statement is likely going to trigger you, so beware:

I decided to back out of being a lich.

That's right, I proceeded all the way through the Abyss to emerge back into Golarian only to realize I didn't want to be Nocticula's (and Areelu's) little boy-toy anymore. I decided to reject my lichdom completely and to re-forge myself into my character's original identity of being a truly lawful-good diplomatic scholar and master of wizardry.

The most interesting part (and don't bother attempting to sway me into changing my mind; this process was far too interesting and compelling) was how I did this and the relatively great lengths the game accommodates someone like me who decides to do exactly what I did.

To wit:

- After the appearance of Iomedae once I resurfaced in the fortress, her pleas with me to get me to come back to the light were convincing and I thought written quite well

- The back-and-forth between her and Nocticula, with Areelu's own viewpoint thrown in, while a little forced and silly at certain points was nevertheless rather riveting

- The ability to truly (re-)choose my Mythic path at that point seems quite remarkably flexible to me, more details below

- The multi-step process to cleanse your soul of all the "evil" choices you've made up to this point (in my case, choosing necromancy above all else and submitting to Zacharius' plans) -- while by no means all that difficult -- was totally unexpected and, again, impressive from a non-coders' standpoint on the complexity of this C&C-like sequence

Without going into too much further detail, by following a step-by-step sequence of mini quests, one has bit by bit of his previous (lich) powers stripped from him, Areelu appearing at every stage also pleading with you to stop and reconsider. My mind had been made up at that point, but she even at the final precipice of rejecting her "gift" to you offers several more gifts in the form of magical artifacts. I probably should have saved the game and accepted what she was offering to see what I was missing out on, but I think I prefer not to know.

What resulted was -- predictably -- much of my previous abilities now missing from my command bar, which was worrying from a personal power standpoint at first (especially the near-instantaneous undead summons). But what replaced it/them was almost unbelievable at least in my case: I chose the Legend mythic pathway to replace my "true" lichdom, which resulted in the following:

- All of my stats were instantly increased by four each

- Some of my lich powers such as added spell penetration, ability to heal undead, all of my Necromancy spells, etc. fully retained

- A massive acceleration of gaining levels

- Enough experience points to max out my generalist wizard class

- The ability to instantly level up in fifteen more levels in another class (since 20 is max level for any class, of course)

I actually thought it was a bug, because after the first three or four new leveling procedures I started to think it was going to be endless. But finally after going to 15 in my new class (I chose Hunter because it places little more burden on me to assign a bunch of new command bar skills and abilities, and gave a massive boost to my already-existing animal companion, the triceratops) I wound up with some ridiculous new stats. We're talking I have over 430hp now (!!), some skills are in the mid-50's, and I've got a shit-ton of sorcerer-like spells added to my spellbook. I'm basically a walking mortal god now.

So I think it was worth it. Would I have liked to have seen how the full, true lich path worked out? Yes. But I just couldn't stomach losing Seelah, I couldn't accept truly becoming evil, and I made up my mind to throw myself a curve ball.

For what it's worth, like this game or hate it, I can't recall any other computer roleplaying game offering this much insane flexibility -- and an in-game explanation and accompanying gameplay to match -- when it comes to not only choosing but even mid-game radically altering your character's class choices.

Interdasting.

Please take a moment to specifically tag me if you'd like me to reply to any replies regarding this post because I'm still avoiding this thread for the shithole it's probably become due to spoilers. Thanks.

Edit: Made correction to my hit points, above.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I forgot to mention that at first I actually chose lichdom. That resulted in several cutscenes that included Seelah bailing on me. It also resulted in Iomedae's exasperation with me and me feeling like this isn't what I signed up for.

I had read, somewhere, once I caught the rumor that Seelah leaves if you go full lich, that if you accepted the "gift" from Zacharius that compromises your turning full evil to just turning true neutral, that Seelah can later be talked in to her not leaving the campaign. It was also just that: a rumor. Once you choose to reject Iomedae's path to redemption, Seelah's gone, permanently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom