Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
This is Abrogail.
Abby_2.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What was the charge bug exactly? I noticed that with the latest patch characters will charge towards an enemy JUST BY SELECTING THE ABILITY AND MOUSING OVER A MONSTER which - you guessed it - also loses you your turn.

Its when you are allowed to select the charge ability, but you cannot actually make it to the target due to someone being in the way. Since it is a full action move all you have left is a 5-foot step. Very irritating at the start of combat.

I don't mind not being able to charge when the route to target is obstructed. But the route is often visually entirely clear, flat and straight... and the charge command still fails. After patches charges to initiate combat seem to work decently now. But mid-combat charges are still in very bad shape.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Also, why are people complaining about the difficulty? Just play on Core and choose the Last Azlanti mode. Suddenly you really want - and need - to prepare for every combat encounter. Better yet - and this is from personal experience - play Last Azlanti on your first playthrough. THEN you'll notice how very differently you'll be playing the game than usual.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also, why are people complaining about the difficulty? Just play on Core and choose the Last Azlanti mode. Suddenly you really want - and need - to prepare for every combat encounter. Better yet - and this is from personal experience - play Last Azlanti on your first playthrough. THEN you'll notice how very differently you'll be playing the game than usual.

Yea and do it while getting electroshocks every time you receive damage, why not, you're not some GAY BABY CASUAL right

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yea and do it while getting electroshocks every time you receive damage, why not, you're not some GAY BABY CASUAL right

And play with a custom programmed software to trigger a shotgun and kill yourself case you die in game. Nothing more high stakes than it. /just kidding

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
But how bloated a game is to 35 AC being considered "low"... An old golden dragon has 33 AC .
Your level 1 Seelah would hit an evil dragon with such AC 50% of the time at least by drinking a bunch of potions and flanking. And all of that would be legit tools no munchkinism.

PnP monsters are underpowered.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But if you loose a turn due to a charge attempt went wrong, you've usually lost it.
Is it good tactics to alpha strike encounters and then reload if it fails? Kind of reminds me of trying to apply blindness through reloads until the save is beaten.

Charge is not only for alpha striking, you know. Actually alpha strikes work pretty well now - in combat charges often fail.

The movement bug I was referring to has nothing to do with charges. I think it was related to being mounted - Sometimes the mount just fails to move through the tiniest obstacle, gets stuck, stutters for a few seconds and then ends your turn. I also had issues doing a full attack or even a single attack at times despite being right next to an enemy and repositioning with 5 foot step.

That's when you should test your Reflexes and switch to real time when the mount still stutters. Usually the pathfinding is a bit better in real time. Or your allies scramble to make way. So you can often succeed with the attacks in real time. Can switch back after the attack.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But how bloated a game is to 35 AC being considered "low"... An old golden dragon has 33 AC .
Your level 1 Seelah would hit an evil dragon with such AC 50% of the time at least by drinking a bunch of potions and flanking. And all of that would be legit tools no munchkinism.

PnP monsters are underpowered.

Nope. A dragon would just fly and breath attack her at range while she can't do anything. Monsters needs to be smart.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nope. A dragon would just fly and breath attack her at range while she can't do anything. Monsters needs to be smart.
No strawmaning please. You argued about bloated AC.

And even against flying dragon - there is a ranged pala kit.

PnP monsters are weak. They are weak not even for CRPG, but even in PnP. PnP designers are not geniuses, and PnP is not a holy grail of balance, there are same mistakes there as anywhere.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
PnP monsters are weak. They are weak not even for CRPG, but even in PnP. PnP designers are not geniuses, and PnP is not a holy grail of balance, there are same mistakes there as anywhere.

It doesn't matter if they're "weak" (which is debatable anyway as most PnP characters aren't anywhere near as bloated/strong as PF CRPG characters), they're controlled by a human.

A DM controlling a monster is going to be far more effective than any AI script.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And even against flying dragon - there is a ranged pala kit.

PnP monsters are weak. They are weak not even for CRPG, but even in PnP.

I disagree. When I played 3E, my first party wipe was at lv 13. We are investigating disappearances in a swamp, failed some checks and suddenly, a black dragon emerged, eat your druid and his minions surrounded our party. He appeared with a lot of buffs obviously. Was his lair and we was caught by surprise. I tried improved invisibility, but he had true seeing. And I rolled low for intiiative. We had a party wipe in two turns.

It doesn't matter if they're "weak" (which is debatable anyway as most PnP characters aren't anywhere near as bloated/strong as PF CRPG characters), they're controlled by a human.

A DM controlling a monster is going to be far more effective than any AI script.

Depends a lot on the monster. If I'm DMing as a skeleton, I will mindless attack. If I'm DMing as a lich, I will be cautious, paranoiac and smart as possible.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Depends a lot on the monster. If I'm DMing as a skeleton, I will mindless attack. If I'm DMing as a lich, I will be cautious, paranoiac and smart as possible.

That's true and a valid point, but the example was a dragon.

A DM should be controlling a dragon ruthlessly and intelligently.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good DMs don't hand out ph@t lewt like candy either. No level 1 party is gonna kill an old gold dragon. An old gold dragon, FFS, would just come in humanoid form with a bunch of buff spells and slaughter the whole party with some old sword. LMAO Or just use Holy Word or cast an old fashion sleep spell. :D and then tease the elf party member as every one else is snoring. <>

Shadenuat

Arcane
A DM also faces a group of other nerds, each of them can be same 20 years experienced in RPGs as him. It's easier to out-think a single person, unless they're a degenerate and fudge rolls.

Furthermore, DM doesn't actually want to actively kill you, unless he's a Russian. Combat isn't even the driving force of the game anyway. Even more - designers, through years, tried to actively put into RPG system mechanics that would allow players to avoid party wipes, sudden deaths, etc.

PnP is designed for party to more or less effectively wipe monsters one after another, even if they don't understand much what they are doing, and continue playing without losing their precious characters.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
But if you loose a turn due to a charge attempt went wrong, you've usually lost it.
Is it good tactics to alpha strike encounters and then reload if it fails? Kind of reminds me of trying to apply blindness through reloads until the save is beaten.

Charge is not only for alpha striking, you know. Actually alpha strikes work pretty well now - in combat charges often fail.

The movement bug I was referring to has nothing to do with charges. I think it was related to being mounted - Sometimes the mount just fails to move through the tiniest obstacle, gets stuck, stutters for a few seconds and then ends your turn. I also had issues doing a full attack or even a single attack at times despite being right next to an enemy and repositioning with 5 foot step.

That's when you should test your Reflexes and switch to real time when the mount still stutters. Usually the pathfinding is a bit better in real time. Or your allies scramble to make way. So you can often succeed with the attacks in real time. Can switch back after the attack.

I shouldn't have to do anything when the game is broken.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

I shouldn't have to do anything when the game is broken.

I like Wrath overall, but Fedora is correct.

Considering these issues (combat pathfinding) have lingered in KM for a long time, Owlcat should really have got a handle on them by now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
PnP is designed for party to more or less effectively wipe monsters one after another, even if they don't understand much what they are doing, and continue playing without losing their precious characters.

Depends on P&P. Lets go play Dark Sun in 2E. Shadow Wizards(kit from preservers & defilers - The wizards of athas), could die while attempting to contact the "black" to attune energy to prepare spells. And was not unlikely. He needs to pass a check each time that he gather energy for each spell and if he fails, he takes d6+1 damage while having d4 hit points. At full health, at lv 7, he can fail a couple of times, but still gonna hurt him. Dark Sun even recommend creating multiple characters because they will gonna die.

Anyway, this game has so much bloat in ch 5/6 that I wish that the next OwlCat game will gonna be a adaptation of a retroclone with lv cap = 12 like hyperborea. One of things which makes 2E better is the smaller numbers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am loving that Drezen is so much bigger than our Capital in first game. This actually feels like a real place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom