Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

havox

Novice
Also... git gud.
Took about 30 tries to... git gud. Stars finally aligned, my team rolled like boss, enemies rolled like chumps, Daerans mass heal was just enough to survive taking down the trash protecting boss. Finally it was my tank and Lann against him. Had to win a 50/50 through his permanent blur, hit a nat20, and for Lann also win arrow deflect roll, and then it's allowed to hit him for 50. Just enough to outdamage his 10 regen by a tiny shred. Had to watch my tank, Lann and 5 summoned trees swing and miss at the boss for 1 hour and 7 minutes before he dropped.
I think i've figured out why I'm not having fun. Not enough vodka for that genuine slavjank experience. I'll try it tomorrow, thanks for reading my blogpost.
:despair:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, I didn’t get far into my unfair playthrough. At first, the difficulty was nice, but there are so many fights. I restarted a normal, but now it feels too easy.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Honestly, I didn’t get far into my Unfair playthrough. At first, the difficulty was nice, but there are so many fights.
Unfair gets easier the longer you go, act 5 on unfair is easy whereas act 1 on unfair is an insane reload fest. They really should start doing dynamic scaling instead of flat bonuses since it makes lategame easy and earlygame stupid on higher difficulties.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, I didn’t get far into my Unfair playthrough. At first, the difficulty was nice, but there are so many fights.
Unfair gets easier the longer you go, act 5 on unfair is easy whereas act 1 on unfair is an insane reload fest. They really should start doing dynamic scaling instead of flat bonuses since it makes lategame easy and earlygame stupid on higher difficulties.
I just wasn’t enjoying it though. I dialed it back down.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I just wasn’t enjoying it though. I dialed it back down.

I did not mean to dispute that, I'm just saying unfair is poorly balanced and has an unenjoyable difficulty curve. I don't enjoy unfair either.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, would Nicolas of the Cage be more the "demonic fury" kind of guy...
mandy-chainsaw.gif

or more a goody Paladin type...

nicholas-cage.gif

or is he even a TRICKSTER?

img_3989.gif
I think he's more of a... swarm kind of guy.
Beloved-Cool-Globefish-max-1mb.gif

There really is a Cage for every occasion.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just had a "don't rape me with that lockpick" screaming door moment. Then Camelia raped the door, on fist try.

Actually that was great writing. Too bad most of the story isn't at that high level.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's... really desperate.
I really wanted to like Ember, I really did. But her spell selection... ugh... apart from farting and sending some shinnies at the enemies, there's almost nothing there...

So I benched her. Nenio does the arcane duty, while Cam gives enemies the Evil Eye. At least she can offtank and be a mild DD/backline protector too.

Just respec companions like I'm planning to do once I play this thing. That has the primary benefit of you getting to toy around with 6 crafty builds instead of just 1
respecting can fuck up your game

Everything can currently. Which is why I won't be playing this until June at the earliest.

You exaggerate it's not that bad

Yeah, its not like there are game breaking bugs.

Oh wait, actually I couldn't get past the Drezen Citadel broken gate. Good thing Nenio had Dimension Door, however, likely due to space constraints, it proved impossible to port the whole party inside, it was only possible to port a single character. So brave Nenio, with all her 12 Spell Pen or so and basically none directly offensive spells charged one of the mightiest balrogs. Good thing we brought Galfrey along, she proved useful for once. I shudder to think how this would end if she wasn't there...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Respec makes your decisions worthless. For example, a sorcerer can technically respec and change his spells, getting rid of his class disadvantage. You can respec to have a char optimized to a challenged encounter, some decisions between power early or power later don't matter, it trivializes feat picking. Respec = Decline.

Well, actually, if I'm not mistaken, in Tabletop sorcerers can switch their spells a little during level ups. Not really good example.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, from the distance OF THE BENCH IN THE CAMP WHERE I LEAVE HIM TO BRING WITH ME MY BRO SOSIEL
However, Marching Terror on Sosiel should be sweet. Haven't hired him yet (I'm still in process of the 2nd try of Kenabres).

His real utility comes from his domains. He gets lotsa Luck and Good Touches, both very useful. Luck in particular, the reroll with a 15-20 crit weapon just makes the crit rate skyrocket (can only imagine what happens if you combine it with Trickster critical feats - something like 70% crit rate?). And with Domain Zealot he can use them as swift action.

Only tough choice is which Impossible Domain to pick. Nature for a mount - he could use the protection and his mobility in armor kinda sucks or Community for even more broken, but less frequent clicky.
Or can you choose more then one?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, from the distance OF THE BENCH IN THE CAMP WHERE I LEAVE HIM TO BRING WITH ME MY BRO SOSIEL
However, Marching Terror on Sosiel should be sweet. Haven't hired him yet (I'm still in process of the 2nd try of Kenabres).

His real utility comes from his domains. He gets lotsa Luck and Good Touches, both very useful. Luck in particular, the reroll with a 15-20 crit weapon just makes the crit rate skyrocket (can only imagine what happens if you combine it with Trickster critical feats - something like 70% crit rate?). And with Domain Zealot he can use them as swift action.

Only tough choice is which Impossible Domain to pick. Nature for a mount - he could use the protection and his mobility in armor kinda sucks or Community for even more broken, but less frequent clicky.
Or can you choose more then one?
I love how (voluntarily or involuntarily, I don't care) Owlcat didn't stick to the "only one reroll per roll" rule. Right now, with Sosiel's Bit of Luck, Ember's Fortune, and the Brilliant Inspiration spell, my MC is rolling 5 dice and picking the best one for every attack. You have to try really hard not to crit with 5 dice, even without a high-crit weapon.

I don't know if it's a bug, but right now you can pick Impossible Domain multiple times. I avoided the Animal domain because with an animal companion I'd like to also get Mythic Companion and you don't get nearly enough mythic abilities to do that. But being able to pick Nobility AND Community is insane. I guess that with an Erastil Cleric you might manage to squeeze in Mythic Companion, but you'd have to delay Mythic Spell Penetration.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I love this argument. You can multi a fragile caster companion to a raging testosterone-monster if you want to, but it's mah immersion if you respec.
You shouldn't turn ember into a testosterone monster either.

Obviously if you don't give a shit then you don't give a shit, but at that point, why not just roll a full party of mercs?
90% of what classes do have nothing to do with characters' backstories. A Sorcerer Ember would be basically indistinguishable from the one we got.
?? Ember's entire backstory is that she is ?brain damaged? into being incapable of negative feelings towards anyone and this got her blessed by one of the gods for being a pure soul. If you respec her as a sorc she won't even have her crow, which would also make her delusional as she'll keep interacting with it.
I love this argument. You can multi a fragile caster companion to a raging testosterone-monster if you want to, but it's mah immersion if you respec.
You shouldn't turn ember into a testosterone monster either.

Obviously if you don't give a shit then you don't give a shit, but at that point, why not just roll a full party of mercs?

Because I like the dialogue, quests and stuff like that (or at least, would like it to be part of the game)? Who cares if Valerie is some weird monk build instead of a paladin in terms of the game mechanics, the dialogue doesn't change. I sure as shit don't give a fuck
I mean her backstory is that she is a disgraced paladin which doesn't really make sense for monk. I prefer it when the gameplay and the story can agree on basic facts, but if you don't mind such inconsistencies then indeed, as a wise codexer said: "There is only you and your computer, and neither cares"

Having the character sheet and dialogue agree on the three or four times it matters is a minor concern. Being all but blocked from the game’s most enjoyable aspect - character customization - with 10/11 characters or however many is a major concern.

Delterius

Arcane
Respec makes your decisions worthless. For example, a sorcerer can technically respec and change his spells, getting rid of his class disadvantage. You can respec to have a char optimized to a challenged encounter, some decisions between power early or power later don't matter, it trivializes feat picking. Respec = Decline.

Well, actually, if I'm not mistaken, in Tabletop sorcerers can switch their spells a little during level ups. Not really good example.
Retraining is also a thing in PnP.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, NOOO muh monk dipos! i i mean, muh character customisation!

anyway since autumn and back pain, and codex, broke my will anyway, break me to the end: ppl who finished gaem, is there a honest good, not boring cynical deconstruction ending for Ember, and Regill?

Thonius

Arcane
Yeah, respec is caput because when you respec arcane caster say goodbye to your learned spells. Even if you respec into same class to change some feats, it's better to use toybox to swap them.
Got rid of trample that way, while in theory, it's okay feat reality was a pain in the ass since the icon on the toolbar appeared only when you're mounted, and since game likes to dismount you everytime it gets ( and i got shitty ac unmounted) icon always vanished from toolbar and ability menu. Get mounted drag ability to toolbar, buff. Annoying. Plus it's worse than the charge.
So anyhow the only real middle finger by the devs as far as I can tell was Delamere, I wanted to use her as a hunter or whathaveyou but could not respec her with official respec below LVL 13. (she is supposed to be priest of sorts, but she got 0 spells and armor that gives her a bonus FOR SPELL FROM DRUID LIST WTF OWLCATS, and not enough WIS), and with mode, I caught a bug after 4 lvl when the game prompts me to assign an ability bonus. Kinda cringe man.

Also, Ember is nice and her quest is nice too if a bit hard to believe. Wholesome.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
When you respec a non-spontanous arcane caster in kingmaker you get the spells as scrolls so you could relearn those IIRC. I think it will be the same in wrath, maybe still not implemented or bugged right now.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Anyone playing the Beta build (and I mean the one called Beta, not release)? When it is coming out of Beta into "Beta" ?

volklore

Arcane
Like what bug ?
Difficult to know what's a bug and what's owlcat implementation sometimes, I guess. I think it would be hard to consider crane wing working with shields a bug nowadays for example when it's been this way since kingmaker release, reported a million times and owlcat decided not to fix.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I still have no idea whether stacking Flurry + Rapid Shot on Sohei with a bow is bug, and can easily argue it both ways when comparing Sohei and Zen Archer.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Having the character sheet and dialogue agree on the three or four times it matters is a minor concern. Being all but blocked from the game’s most enjoyable aspect - character customization - with 10/11 characters or however many is a major concern.
Speak for yourself. As I am not a writer, I very much like to read the story and personal development of a companion. A set of stats, feats and spells seems boring to me, because I cannot build the story from numbers. Side note: may be table toppers are closet graphomaniacs?

However, if you prefer such sets of stats then there is Solasta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom