Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sharpedge

Prophet
And another thing.

There are no health numbers on the enemies (if someone hasn't noticed). There are either "health circles" or verbal descriptions like "wounded", "badly wounded" and so on. I checked it myself.

So even if in the combat log it is written "271 damage" it might be a lie as well. At this moment we have no way to confirm that when the combat log registers 27 damage to a Babau this particular Babau, indeed, receives 27 damage. And, because the "Inspect" button does not show the exact health of the inspected enemy, in the end it becomes the game of guesses anyway. I know this, because in a couple of fights I used (admittedly flawed) tactics of alpha-striking, when I really wanted to kill one particular enemy in the first round. There is no way to calculate; only stack all the possible buffs and see what happens.

So while math exercises are fun and useful, this game can not be perfected to precise numbers like in WoW DPS logs.
Enable inspect mode (Y key by default) and then hover over an enemy.
Pv2i9lk.png

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So even if in the combat log it is written "271 damage" it might be a lie as well. At this moment we have no way to confirm that when the combat log registers 27 damage to a Babau this particular Babau, indeed, receives 27 damage. And, because the "Inspect" button does not show the exact health of the inspected enemy, in the end it becomes the game of guesses anyway.
Screenshot-60.png

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You're right, and I am, apparently, a moron.

Though I could have sworn that about 10 days ago I did not see that on Faxon in the tower of Estrod. Oh well, thanks for pointing it out.

NJClaw thank you as well. Until they restore my ability to rate posts, I will spam the forum with such messages.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Can Owlcat create a quality combat system in-house without basing it on Pathfinder aka D&D 3.75? Combat is their main strength now. Look at what happened with BioWare combat after they started designing their own IPs.

Original rtwp games will keep sucking until devs realise that rounds are actually good because they give you a clear time to pause, instead of say pillars of eternity where you might pause once every 0.1 seconds multiple times in a row as your characters finish their staggered abilities, then wait 5 seconds, then do it again. The round gives an important pacing to the pausing that a roundless system doesn't have. Thankfully Owlcat doesn't give a shit about balance so we'll never have some homogenised mess like pillars of eternity if they ever do an original system.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can you say

Carrion's crown would be great, but DM a horror campaign or even make a good CRPG with horror is not easy. I know cuz I've DMed a one shot of Ship of Horrors.

IMHO they should put the inspect thing behind some feat requirement or something.

Yep. Like Kingmaker.

Thankfully Owlcat doesn't give a shit about balance so we'll never have some homogenised mess like pillars of eternity if they ever do an original system.

OwlCat doesn't care about it, but Paizo is sadly infected with balance cultism. So, lets pray that they will never force PF2E or any shit that PF3E will be in then. IF they use their own system, lets hope that will resembles more a retroclone and less a wow clone.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Can Owlcat create a quality combat system in-house without basing it on Pathfinder aka D&D 3.75? Combat is their main strength now. Look at what happened with BioWare combat after they started designing their own IPs.

Original rtwp games will keep sucking until devs realise that rounds are actually good because they give you a clear time to pause, instead of say pillars of eternity where you might pause once every 0.1 seconds multiple times in a row as your characters finish their staggered abilities, then wait 5 seconds, then do it again. The round gives an important pacing to the pausing that a roundless system doesn't have. Thankfully Owlcat doesn't give a shit about balance so we'll never have some homogenised mess like pillars of eternity if they ever do an original system.
On the contrary, I find Pillars of Eternity I RTwP better than Owlcat's. In Pillars I can set up auto pause on the end of an ability, this event will be reflected in the log with the name of the person who had finished the ability, and (here I may be wrong) clicking on the log record even focuses this person. So it does not matter when this happens, after 5 or 0.1 seconds: the game pauses exactly when needed.

In both Pathfinder's I kind of can auto pause as well; what I can't do is quickly figuring out who finished the action and which action it was. There is no such messages in the log, and the focus does not shift to the person that pauses the game.

Sharpedge

Prophet
IMHO they should put the inspect thing behind some feat requirement or something.
I think its intended to be behind a skill check, but the skill check is bugged and so inspect shows the results regardless. You see combat log entries along the lines of "failed to inspect x" or "succeeded in inspecting x" but regardless of whether you succeed or fail you can see all of an enemies attributes regardless.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
I think its intended to be behind a skill check, but the skill check is bugged and so inspect shows the results regardless. You see combat log entries along the lines of "failed to inspect x" or "succeeded in inspecting x" but regardless of whether you succeed or fail you can see all of an enemies attributes regardless.
It is working like this in Kingmaker, and was working in the 1st (or the 2nd) Wrath beta. Then one day I have found that all the stats are always available for inspection and dropped the beta for good.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
In kingmaker it was multiple checks, like lore nature would show stats, knowledge arcana something else and so on. And I still believe it made stuff too easy, but at least I remember not passing checks sometimes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In kingmaker it was multiple checks, like lore nature would show stats, knowledge arcana something else and so on. And I still believe it made stuff too easy, but at least I remember not passing checks sometimes.

They still have the multiple checks for different types of enemies, the problem is that right now they're not doing anything. You roll, succeed or fail, and feel good or bad about it but can inspect anyway.

purupuru

Learned
Am I going crazy or did the new patch increase enemy numbers in the crusade mode?
Was that what the questionnaire was all about? "Let's find out what's making the players the most butthurt, and give them more of that."

Parabalus

Arcane
You're right, and I am, apparently, a moron.

Though I could have sworn that about 10 days ago I did not see that on Faxon in the tower of Estrod. Oh well, thanks for pointing it out.

NJClaw thank you as well. Until they restore my ability to rate posts, I will spam the forum with such messages.

This was added in a patch, def wasn't there at release.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Another question I'd like to know your opinions about.

What should I buy and should not buy in the Defender's Heart? There are many shiny things there, but not that much money.
I've already bought the ring for Camellia which adds 2 AC for her Iceplant curse. She will always be in my main group, so it seems to be fitting. However, I read somewhere that it is too few AC for a price. Any thoughts?
There is Dark Omen which will suit Daeran; it's several Necromancy spells of different levels for the prize of the ring (13000). I'd like to have Daeran in the main party as well, but I am hesitant so far to bring a pure healbot.
There is a buckler that grants Mirror Image on critical hits. It is clearly for Camellia, too. The question is: will Camellia survive a crit on Hard? Because if she wouldn't, she is no longer useful, and what's the point in having Mirror Images over her unconscious body.
There is the dagger for Woljif which may decrease the CON score down to +5. +5 score means CON 20. How many enemies will I see with CON > 20 on Hard?
And then there is a pair of gloves that add 1 damage per dice for all Cantrips. I guess they would be good for the Trickster who can downgrade the spells. I doubt I will be going Trickster, but I want to keep Nenio - are those gloves as good for her as the asking price?
I would really appreciate your answers.

Sharpedge

Prophet

What should I buy and should not buy in the Defender's Heart? There are many shiny things there, but not that much money.
I've already bought the ring for Camellia which adds 2 AC for her Iceplant curse. She will always be in my main group, so it seems to be fitting. However, I read somewhere that it is too few AC for a price. Any thoughts?
There is Dark Omen which will suit Daeran; it's several Necromancy spells of different levels for the prize of the ring (13000). I'd like to have Daeran in the main party as well, but I am hesitant so far to bring a pure healbot.
There is a buckler that grants Mirror Image on critical hits. It is clearly for Camellia, too. The question is: will Camellia survive a crit on Hard? Because if she wouldn't, she is no longer useful, and what's the point in having Mirror Images over her unconscious body.
There is the dagger for Woljif which may decrease the CON score down to +5. +5 score means CON 20. How many enemies will I see with CON > 20 on Hard?
And then there is a pair of gloves that add 1 damage per dice for all Cantrips. I guess they would be good for the Trickster who can downgrade the spells. I doubt I will be going Trickster, but I want to keep Nenio - are those gloves as good for her as the asking price?
As you have probably realized, you don't have enough money for all of these items. Out of them the only item I would potentially consider buying is the Iceplant ring, the others can be replaced later on fairly quickly. Its worth keeping in mind that at the start of act 2 there will be other shops and they will have better items which are also similarly themed. I consider the act 2 items to be some of the better power boosts, so its worth saving gold (imo) for those.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It depends on your MC and what you need/want money for, but you've made a few mistakes with your readings of the items which may change your cost/benefit analysis...

The dagger can decrease con down to 5, not +5, a 5 CON is a -3 modifier and it hits both hp/HD and fort saves, so I like it a lot. The gloves (I think, don't have the game open) also add +1 damage per dice to level 1 spells, so will hit things like snowball, magic missile, shocking grasp, etc. This can potentially be decent.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
They are cheap and were somewhat useful to me as I playing pure wizard.
If you miss this merchant's inventory, you could buy all this stuff later, in chapter 4. :M
Also buy every, every quiver of cold steel arrows. They could not be found anywhere in the game save one quiver from Skeletal Merchant.
Of course, there are six Magic Essences in Kenabres to repair certain artifact, but still I missed these arrows a lot.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Also buy every, every quiver of cold steel arrows. They could not be found anywhere in the game save one quiver from Skeletal Merchant.

There are things like cold iron javelins, even some cold iron bows (don't ask me how that works, I guess they have their own unlimited quivers), you can change Finnean into a bow, etc. imo cold iron arrow quivers are a waste of time and gold.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
There are things like cold iron javelins, even some cold iron bows (don't ask me how that works, I guess they have their own unlimited quivers), you can change Finnean into a bow, etc. imo cold iron arrow quivers are a waste of time and gold.
They are cheap as fuck (200*6=1200, I had more than 35k in the Defender's Heart) and very effective with several starting bows that have interesting effects on critical hits.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
They are cheap as fuck (200*6=1200, I had more than 35k in the Defender's Heart) and very effective with several starting bows that has interesting effects on critical hits.

I suppose it depends on your party composition. I tend not to run many archers/ranged characters, so can easily make due without them and not really worry about DR.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
They are cheap as fuck (200*6=1200, I had more than 35k in the Defender's Heart) and very effective with several starting bows that has interesting effects on critical hits.
The problem is right now I have only one good ranged fighter who is Wenduag, she is using axes, and the rest of the team does not have Precise Shot. So for Wenduag the potion of Bless Weapon seems to be more useful, and for ranged touch attack cantrips (with which Nenio hits sometimes despite -4 penalty) the gloves seem to be better. I have a couple of quivers on Woljif for his shortbow, and for the backup bow on Wenduag.

mediocrepoet Thank you, I need to read it again. It will be very good for flanking Woljif, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom