Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

kinzadza

Scholar
Seelah is IMO the worst companion of the game. Just my opinion. din't liked her.

If you had to choose between white seelah and fixing the ice prison DC, which would it be?

kinzadza

Scholar
I was also thinking about something...

Paizo was very adamant about explaining that necromancy in PF is ALWAYS evil, there was a discussion for years on this topic. In the end they've actually made an official errata about animate dead and similar spells, that casting one or two of these will make your character evil beyond all salvation.

Then on the other hand, you have a fucking redeemed succubus. A demon from the Abyss, and we all know that demons are ALWAYS EVIL BEYOND SALVATION, yet there's this one hot bitch who's totaly not evil, despite her very existence being based off souls of evil of mortals.

Then you have fucking Seelah. She is a paladin, some kind of lawful paragon whose powers are based solely on upholding the law and shit. And she's gay. At least if here deity had sexual freedoms or something in her portfolio I would buy it. If she's not breaking some paladin code then necromancy is most certainly not always evil.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Paizo was very adamant about explaining that necromancy in PF is ALWAYS evil, there was a discussion for years on this topic. In the end they've actually made an official errata about animate dead and similar spells, that casting one or two of these will make your character evil beyond all salvation.

Then on the other hand, you have a fucking redeemed succubus. A demon from the Abyss, and we all know that demons are ALWAYS EVIL BEYOND SALVATION, yet there's this one hot bitch who's totaly not evil, despite her very existence being based off souls of evil of mortals.

Then you have fucking Seelah. She is a paladin, some kind of lawful paragon whose powers are based solely on upholding the law and shit. And she's gay. At least if here deity had sexual freedoms or something in her portfolio I would buy it. If she's not breaking some paladin code then necromancy is most certainly not always evil.

So the only point of this overly long for what it is post is that gay = evil and/or chaotic?
You could save some time on your post by just submitting something like: "I'm a 5th century puritan asshole." It'd get your point across. Now shouldn't you be in church or something?

kinzadza

Scholar

So the only point of this overly long for what it is post is that gay = evil and/or chaotic?
You could save some time on your post by just submitting something like: "I'm a 5th century puritan asshole." It'd get your point across. Now shouldn't you be in church or something?

I'm arguing that in a canon that has absolute laws in place, the very creators of that same canon blatantly insert characters who are the exact opposite of these absolute laws, and call it a day. They're shitting in their own mouth.

Efe

Erudite
hes trying to point out inconsistencies in paizo logic.
he is right that seelah doesnt act like a paladin.
necromancy bit I dont know about enough to say anything
succubus part I disagree cos if angels can fall, surely demons can rise

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
gay = evil and/or chaotic?

In 99% of societies, yes. Homosexuality was not accepted.

necromancy in PF is ALWAYS evil, t

Necromancy in PF is similar to D&D ie - divided in white/gray/black. Expelling evil spirits, heavling and so on are examples of "white necromancy". Finger of Death is "gray" and reanimating the dead is always "black". IMO necromancers needs to be either, chaotic OR evil.

"In one of the foundations for CoDzilla, wizards and sorcerers have been traditionally restricted to gray and black necromancy, whilst clerics have had access to white, gray and black, plus innate class features allowing them to manipulate/control undead." source > https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Necromancer

Animate dead brings evil into the world and corrupts the caster soul with evil energies. But "white" necromancy is not necessary evil. Casting death to the undead would't corrupt your PC.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
She is a paladin, some kind of lawful paragon whose powers are based solely on upholding the law and shit. And she's gay.
I don't really get why being gay means you can't be a paladin. It is the case that every(?) religion in reality has rules against it, but I don't see why fictional religions have to be the same way.
I agree that paizo are being very racist towards necromancers.

The problem with Seelah is that she doesn't act like a paladin, she acts like a neutral good fighter. Which might have been fine, except it's a very boring ng fighter.

kinzadza

Scholar

Necromancy in PF is similar to D&D ie - divided in white/gray/black. Expelling evil spirits, heavling and so on are examples of "white necromancy". Finger of Death is "gray" and reanimating the dead is always "black". IMO necromancers needs to be either, chaotic OR evil.

"In one of the foundations for CoDzilla, wizards and sorcerers have been traditionally restricted to gray and black necromancy, whilst clerics have had access to white, gray and black, plus innate class features allowing them to manipulate/control undead." source > https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Necromancer

Animate dead brings evil into the world and corrupts the caster soul with evil energies. But "white" necromancy is not necessary evil. Casting death to the undead would't corrupt your PC.

Okay then, imagine someone animating skeletons to be able to save children from a burning building, and then releasing them back to the boneyard? nope, evil as fuck.

kinzadza

Scholar
She is a paladin, some kind of lawful paragon whose powers are based solely on upholding the law and shit. And she's gay.
I don't really get why being gay means you can't be a paladin. It is the case that every(?) religion in reality has rules against it, but I don't see why fictional religions have to be the same way.

The problem with Seelah is that she doesn't act like a paladin, she acts like a neutral good fighter. Which might have been fine, except it's a very boring ng fighter.

The church of Iomedae does not have gay sex in their portfolio. She herself is a paragon of honor, virtue and blabla, so textbook puritan God hero type. A paladin practicing homosexuality would at best be dubious. It just doesn't hold up.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Okay then, imagine someone animating skeletons to be able to save children from a burning building, and then releasing them back to the boneyard? nope, evil as fuck.

Well, in that case, the sorcerer will be partially corrupted. And if the sorcerer can cast tier 4 spells, he can cast summon monster

The problem is that they ruined it in PF2e.

1e with finger of death just dishing massive damage instead of a OHK was already a huge nerf IMO.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's why you play a Paladin MC and level up Seelah as a Bard, roleplaying the whole thing as her finally learning how a true paladin should act and deciding to write songs and poems about your legendary adventures.

:martini:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The church of Iomedae does not have gay sex in their portfolio. She herself is a paragon of honor, virtue and blabla, so textbook puritan God hero type. A paladin practicing homosexuality would at best be dubious. It just doesn't hold up.
They prob also don't have friendship, eating and having fun in their portfolio. Doesn't mean that doing any of these things makes you unworthy of being a paladin. Enjoying something 'irresponsibly' would be dubious for a paladin, but you don't see Seelah going to any gay orgies or let her sexual preferences get in the way of her (mostly nonexistant in the game) paladinic duties.

Pretty sure none of the gods has sex in their portfolio since this would not be kid friendly. This does not mean paladins all have to be celibate.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Make your next MC an angelic altar girl camping with Seelah far from civilization in the Worldwound for a few years and let us know what happens.

kinzadza

Scholar
They prob also don't have friendship, eating and having fun in their portfolio. Doesn't mean that doing any of these things makes you unworthy of being a paladin. Enjoying something 'irresponsibly' would be dubious for a paladin, but you don't see Seelah going to any gay orgies or let her sexual preferences get in the way of her (mostly nonexistant in the game) paladinic duties.

Pretty sure none of the gods has sex in their portfolio since this would not be kid friendly. This does not mean paladins all have to be celibate.

Arshea
Spirit of Abandon
Source Inner Sea Gods pg. 322
Pathfinder Wiki Arshea
Details
Alignment NG
Pantheon Empyreal Lords
Areas of Concern Freedom, physical beauty, sexuality
Domains Charm, Good, Liberation, Strength
Subdomains Agathion, Freedom, Love, Lust, Self-Realization (Liberation)*, Self-Realization (Strength)*
* Requires the Acolyte of Apocrypha trait.
Favored Weapon Flail
Symbol Figure with colorful sashes
Sacred Animal(s) Swan
Sacred Color(s) Purple, white
Obedience
Achieve sexual release by yourself or with one or more partners. Praise the most beautiful aspects of yourself and any partners aloud, and offer a prayer to Arshea while still naked. Gain a +4 sacred bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks when interacting with an intelligent creature who could be sexually attracted to you.

PathfinderSocietySymbol.gif
Lymnieris

The Auroral Tower
Source Inner Sea Gods pg. 322
Pathfinder Wiki Lymnieris
Details
Alignment LG
Pantheon Empyreal Lords
Areas of Concern Prostitution, rites of passage, virginity
Domains Community, Good, Law, Protection
Subdomains Archon (Good), Archon (Law), Friendship, Lust, Purity
* Requires the Acolyte of Apocrypha trait.
Favored Weapon Longsword
Symbol White-hooded profile
Sacred Animal(s) Rabbit
Sacred Color(s) Red, white
Obedience
Lie on a hard, flat surface wearing nothing but a cowl. Concentrate on the feeling of the surface and the air while achieving sexual release without touching yourself. Healing spells you cast heal 1 more point of damage per die.

Enuff kid friendly?

Technomancer

Liturgist
Tbf the goddess scrambled her brains a bit. Doesn't count with direct divine intervention.

purupuru

Learned
Companions are special snowflakes. "I am a paladin and I'm going to pick every chaotic option available because paizo/owlcat says I can and I don't have an alignment shift system. Did you just turn NG for not killing enough Desnites? LOL" "I was a demon evil and cruel to the core with no redeeming quality but goddess personally turned me good. Oh what a terrible punishment now I get to marry the all powerful crusade commander or even ascend to demi-godhood, I can see why Desna didn't just smote me into pieces because this is just eternal suffering except it's not and I'm having a blast." "I am a disgusting 5 CHA bug-women and I demand you to love me and cut all sorts of corners just for me or I will betray you to some trashmob-tier demon. What do you mean I shouldn't betray the obviously stronger side when my personal arc is all about power seeking? I just can't respect you at all if you don't do those 3 specific things. And no, killing Baphomet does not count as one because he's fucking lame."
Greybore in comparison is a breath of fresh air, he is not a special snowflake but rather just a normal dude pretending to be speical.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Snowflake npcs is a great and irreplaceable part of Owlcat games. They have some misses like Ember and Seelah but I like that companions stories are often genuine and relateable emotionally but are so fantastical and strange materially.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see how both Seelah and Ember are "misses".

Seelah is a Paladin who made - and makes - her share of mistakes, which might or might not bite her in the end. I guess it depends on the main character now. Even the start of her carrier as a Paladin was far from straightforward.

Ember is a saint. I don't like saints, especially in Abrahamic religions, so I am planning another good ending for Ember in the second playthrough. However, this concept exists, it is a powerful mobilizing factor, and it works, whether or not actual people did actual miracles IRL. On Golarion miracles literally exist, so the concept works even better. And so does Ember.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I don't see how both Seelah and Ember are "misses".
Seelah is extremely boring and my eyes glazed over whenever I was doing her quest line. She's not actively bad, just the most boring companion I've ever met in a crpg. I find it hard to pinpoint why though, imposter syndrome is a pretty relateable and good topic to base a character around, but I ultimately find her uncompelling and poorly written.

Ember actively undermines the other characters struggles in the game by so easily granting redemption to demons. Many people say it's because she has a godlike figure on her side converting them, but I don't think creating a justification for it makes it any better. She still ultimately undermines the difficulty that the other characters have with morality (like Staunton and Aru.) Her quest line has practically 0 drama or conflict either, it's just "she's nice to demons and they become really nice :)" over and over again with no consequences.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seelah is extremely boring and my eyes glazed over whenever I was doing her quest line.
This is on you, not on the character. Which is fair - everybody has preferences. However, it does not mean that the character is bad in general; it just means that it is not good for everyone.

I will not argue in detail about Ember, because, as I wrote before, I followed Wenduag's insight and chose an early good ending for Ember. Saints can be infuriating, though. Maybe, saints have to be infuriating for common people who strive to achieve the same ideals.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
This is on you, not on the character. Which is fair - everybody has preferences. However, it does not mean that the character is bad in general; it just means that it is not good for everyone.
When I say Seelah is poorly written I do not mean that I have peered into the metaphysical fabric of reality and determined that she is objectively poorly written according to the universes incontrovertible standards. I mean that i played the game and I subjectively found her boring as shit.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
She's not actively bad, just the most boring companion I've ever met in a crpg.
This is actually the worst thing you can say about a character. If a character is good, that's ideal. If a character is bad, you can dislike them or make fun of them.

If a character is boring, then that's a HUGE problem. Especially for the writer. I hope I don't need to quote myself again about Seelah vs Regil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom