Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You don't even need to compare to BG1/2. PF:KM is way better. .

Pff, you have just been found guilty of defaming Boo. You'd better hide very quick and for a long time, Minsc won't be as gentle!

Never defamed Boo.

Anybody saying that this game is "spreadsheet numbers" is really overstating how complex the 3.5 system is

Yep. 3.5E is not a complex system. Complex system is FATAL and by the way, roll for anal circumference!!!

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
So while Aivu is pretty cute and surprisingly not even useless in combat, I am not too fond of the first impressions of my "court", what with their "nuh uh we don't follow orders maaan" attitude but I'll wait and see. Will fight the urge to go Devil as long as I can.

Did you expect chaotics to be orderly?
I mean even demons manage to form armies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3137321254684750893

The Search for the Main Theme

Of all the elements that make up Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, music holds a special place — it is something that kindles the players' interest and sparks passionate discussions. We still have plenty of exciting development stories and never-before-seen content up our sleeve, so why not share some of it? Sergey Eybog, Lead Audio Engineer at Owlcat Games, and Dmitry Silantyev, composer of the main theme (along with many other tracks) for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, are here to tell you about how the main theme was born and share a few of their unreleased drafts.

Creating the main theme for Wrath of the Righteous wasn't easy and took us a long time. We went through a number of iterations that were quite different from each other, as we strove to align our ideas with those of the development team, before finally settling on the version that you can now hear in the game.

We had a set of key criteria for the main theme: we were looking for a melody that would be simple yet instantly memorable, and one that expressed our game's two primary motifs of fall and repentance, as embodied in Areelu Vorlesh, the mastermind behind the portal to the demonic Abyss that devastated Sarkoris. The plan was to make the melody sound heroic and heightened to convey the scale of the conflict, so we knew we wanted to use an orchestra, a choir, and solo female vocals.

We didn't have a specific music reference that had all the qualities we had in mind, so we started searching on our own. Here is what the first version sounded like:

It did a good job of capturing the spirit of adventure and heroism, but the team found this version overly lyrical and "bright", which wasn't really fitting for the rather dark story we were going to tell.

So we headed in another direction, looking to add a greater sense of tragedy and gravity to the music. The next version had two intentionally distinct parts built around a single motif, the first of which represented Areelu and the second the crusade against the demons.

This time we came closer to the mark: the music felt beautiful, powerful, and quite somber. But now we were faced with a different problem: our listeners had a hard time taking in the transition from a simple motif to a more complex, richer segment. Despite our best efforts, the theme did not feel cohesive.

As an experiment, we decided to make both parts of the track even more distinct from each other and replace the crusade in the second part with a depiction of the demonic forces of the Abyss. In the end, this didn't help us solve the problems we had, but it did allow us to get closer to understanding the feel of the music that would play when the game was launched.

Our creative team met once more to discuss the main theme and decided that, even though our game was going to be dark, we wanted the title screen to evoke a different kind of emotion in the player: the music needed to be uplifting and heroic, adventurous in a "duty calls" kind of way, and embodying the spirit of unity. It had to be inspiring, and the closest thing we had to that was the crusade motif, so that's what we focused our efforts on, putting aside the motifs of Areelu and the Abyss. Our key references here were the main themes from The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Crusader Kings II.

The fourth version, despite meeting the criteria, still wasn't approved as the main theme. But the music itself was so good that we decided to use it for one of the in-game locations. You can now hear it at the war camp and in Drezen once it's under the player's control.

(Those Who Stand Against Evil at 40:12)

We decided against using this piece as the main theme because we still had some doubts about its catchiness, and the folk music elements took away somewhat from the heroic and elevated vibe that we wanted to hear in our track.
For our fifth version, we focused on a simpler arrangement and a more logical and memorable melody for the choir and orchestra. The choir needed to perform a marching song about glorious feats. Our composer wrote the lyrics in Latin, which roughly translate as "Hail, hail Queen Galfrey! We fight, and we will prevail!" — and this was the iteration that finally won the hearts of our team and became the final version:

We hope that you've enjoyed the story behind the main theme of our game. In the future, we will be sharing a few more tidbits about other fan-favorite tracks.

Stay tuned!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Inspired by Pathfinder Tactician:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/rgm6hn/wotr_builds_overwhelming_legend/
I'm a bit intrigued by a Sword Saint build using the Death's Consonant bardiche, that uses Int for AB and damage.
SS uses Int also for bonuses to AC, damage, Initiative and crit confirmation.
Student of War 2 can use Int for AC bonus.

If going Legend, you could also add various other things, like Two Handed Fighter 7 to stack Str damage (Backswing) on top of Int damage x2, Sohei 6 for the Wis to AC stack, extra attack(s) and total +6 AB from double Weapon Training (Reach + TH weapons) + gloves or maybe Vivisectionist for mutagen (+Int), sneaks and buffs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So while Aivu is pretty cute and surprisingly not even useless in combat, I am not too fond of the first impressions of my "court", what with their "nuh uh we don't follow orders maaan" attitude but I'll wait and see. Will fight the urge to go Devil as long as I can.

Bunch a' fuckin' hippies.

Actually it's quite amusing at a point later in the game, the raggle-taggle crew comes together in the B plot of a quest. But yeah, the stuff at your court is a bit ... well, frankly, a bit poofy, as we used to say in the UK. Good abilities though, the Azata.
You should see Trickster court LOL

ArchAngel

Arcane

Did you expect chaotics to be orderly?
I mean even demons manage to form armies.
Because they use fear to do it. But forming armies using chaotic good hippies is like herding cats.

Humbaba

Arcane
Yeah, they've overplayed their hand here a bit.
So Early Sunset is very clearly a devil in disguise, because following his advice on the treants is (Evil) even though his suggestion is a very reasonable compromise. I suppose any form of collateral is satanic even if we're talking potentially man eating plants here and excuse me if I'm not taking some random tree's word at face value.
Not even a month has passed and these dumbasses have already started infighting. Urge to go Devil RISES. But I guess the halfling guerilla showing up at molten scar is pretty neat. Come to think of it, the CG's would be a lot cooler if they were more akin to guerillas instead of hippies. Considering Elysium is also where Gorum lives, I hope some Gorumites show up sooner or later because right now my crew consists of decadent artists and alcoholics and that's horrible.
Because they use fear to do it. But forming armies using chaotic good hippies is like herding cats.
Sure, but by the same token, shouldn't I be able to have CG's follow me out of friendship for example?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/3410679

The Shipping Continues

Hello, crusaders!

We're back with more good news about the physical rewards. We are pleased to inform you that the shipping of the rewards is continuing as planned. With the change of manufacturer, we have made sure that all rewards will be of proper quality!

We already have the first batch from the new manufacturer, and we are continuing the shipment process: in time, everyone will receive their rewards. The first wave of packages will be sent out in late January, and more will follow. Boxed Editions with the Arueshalae figurine, Collector’s Editions, Collector’s Editions with add-ons, Premium Collector's Editions, and Ultimate Editions signed are being shipped again. We will also send replacements to those whose figurines turned out to be damaged.

Thank you for your patience and support! We hope you enjoy these rewards and remember your adventures in the lands of Golarion.

08569f6f82e0dabfde55773ed21aa435_original.jpeg

To arms!

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've just had a thought.

So far Owlcat Games behave like CDPR during the Witcher series. They patch the bugs, they grant some nice freebies, they respect their backers and make sure physical rewards are solid. They even compensate the backers for delays.

However, after Witcher 3 CDPR blessed the world with Cyberpunk-2077, which was kind of a disaster. Even people with RTX cards complain about the graphics (!). So will there be a Cyberpunk-2077 moment for Owlcat Games? The moment when they realize that their core audience is dumb and will buy anything with the Owlcat label on it?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I've just had a thought.

So far Owlcat Games behave like CDPR during the Witcher series. They patch the bugs, they grant some nice freebies, they respect their backers and make sure physical rewards are solid. They even compensate the backers for delays.

However, after Witcher 3 CDPR blessed the world with Cyberpunk-2077, which was kind of a disaster. Even people with RTX cards complain about the graphics (!). So will there be a Cyberpunk-2077 moment for Owlcat Games? The moment when they realize that their core audience are dumb and will buy anything with Owlcat label on?
Starfinder 3088.

Humbaba

Arcane
I've just had a thought.

However, after Witcher 3 CDPR blessed the world with Cyberpunk-2077, which was kind of a disaster. Even people with RTX cards complain about the graphics (!). So will there be a Cyberpunk-2077 moment for Owlcat Games? The moment when they realize that their core audience is dumb and will buy anything with the Owlcat label on it?
Don't be ridiculous, Owlcat aren't polish.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've just had a thought.

Too early for that. Owlcat are now at their Witcher 3 moment with their next game. And after that they might try to do something that is beyond their ability like CDPR did with Cyberpunk.

Humbaba

Arcane
Every dev falls out of favour eventually historically speaking. Even Nintendo's public image is at an all time low and those japs have indoctrinated their customers since childhood.

Yosharian

Arcane
Inspired by Pathfinder Tactician:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/rgm6hn/wotr_builds_overwhelming_legend/
I'm a bit intrigued by a Sword Saint build using the Death's Consonant bardiche, that uses Int for AB and damage.
SS uses Int also for bonuses to AC, damage, Initiative and crit confirmation.
Student of War 2 can use Int for AC bonus.

If going Legend, you could also add various other things, like Two Handed Fighter 7 to stack Str damage (Backswing) on top of Int damage x2, Sohei 6 for the Wis to AC stack, extra attack(s) and total +6 AB from double Weapon Training (Reach + TH weapons) + gloves or maybe Vivisectionist for mutagen (+Int), sneaks and buffs.
Pretty weak for a Legend build

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Bunch a' fuckin' hippies.

Actually it's quite amusing at a point later in the game, the raggle-taggle crew comes together in the B plot of a quest. But yeah, the stuff at your court is a bit ... well, frankly, a bit poofy, as we used to say in the UK. Good abilities though, the Azata.
The court is very goofy, until you call on them to do combat, at which point they make all the lawful crusaders look like 12 year olds with wooden swords. Not that surprising tbh. Which player build is best? Generic fighter or goofy monk/paladin/oracle/slayer? Same with soldiers.

Anybody saying that this game is "spreadsheet numbers" is really overstating how complex the 3.5 system is
While it is true that this game has nothing on TRUE spreadsheet games, the higher difficulties are basically spreadsheet management. You don't need better tactics, or really a better understanding of the systems, you just need to add together enough stacking modifiers to be able to hit the enemies and overcome their saves. And arguably the most appropriate tool for this is a spreadsheet and a wiki. Or at least, if there was a good wiki they would be.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Fleshmarkets and the semi-apendageous-wines-like-thingies that are definitely not tentacles made my day.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom