Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Humbaba

Arcane
There's no reference of her being actually insane or being normal prior to her burning.
I have already gave you one reference where she is called insane in clinical sence and here is the second, from the "Narrator":
The mob loves a wretch, a feeble-minded, hysterical, starry-eyed preacher — when one of these unfortunates stands on a corner and begins their sermon, a crowd will immediately gather.
Come on, this girl is not wearing any shoes and does not remember her own name, despite being around 40yo when Hulrun tried to burn her during the Third Crusade. She may be very, very special - but she is not sane with any stretch of definition.

1. Staunton is not the word of god and furthermore your enemy.

2. The second description is very obviously taking the point of view of the mob's superficial perception of Ember and is in no way indicative of her actual character.

She definitely isn't "normal" but not crazy. Her worldview is coherent and her preaching actually works.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
She definitely isn't "normal" but not crazy. Her worldview is coherent and her preaching actually works.
Interesting fact: she willingly abandons her preaching after Ascension and goes to Andoletta to learn how to do good properly. Makes me wonder, if sheer amount of power poured into her fixed her head a bit.

Humbaba

Arcane
Interesting fact: she willingly abandons her preaching after Ascension and goes to Andoletta to learn how to do good properly. Makes me wonder, if sheer amount of power poured into her fixed her head a bit.
Your headcanon proves nothing.

Daidre

Arcane

What this has to do with headcanon?
Ascension was a true challenge for Ember. For years she had rebuked the good gods for doing so little to help mortals, but now she finally understood the burden of divinity. Realizing that even her new powers were not enough to save all who suffered, she went to Heaven, to her "grandma" the empyreal lord Andoletta, and asked to be her apprentice — but she continued to visit the mortal world to aid the defenseless or to convince a villain to change their ways.
Moved from preaching to learning more effective methods after getting some power.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So, mayhaps then, we got all confused by kinda crazy person acting very sane in one of the most rare manner possible?

Humbaba

Arcane

What this has to do with headcanon?
Ascension was a true challenge for Ember. For years she had rebuked the good gods for doing so little to help mortals, but now she finally understood the burden of divinity. Realizing that even her new powers were not enough to save all who suffered, she went to Heaven, to her "grandma" the empyreal lord Andoletta, and asked to be her apprentice — but she continued to visit the mortal world to aid the defenseless or to convince a villain to change their ways.
Moved from preaching to learning more effective methods after getting some power.
Because you baselessly speculate that le Power somehow fixed her alleged mental illness which you still have not proven is even present.

Daidre

Arcane
Because you baselessly speculate that le Power somehow fixed her alleged mental illness which you still have not proven is even present.

I do not know your definition of sanity, but remembering own name is usually goes at p.1 in such lists.

Humbaba

Arcane
I do not know your definition of sanity, but remembering own name is usually goes at p.1 in such lists.
Her not remembering is an act, the same way her teehee I am just a wittwe gurl is an act. She does it because she does not want to create a cult of personality around herself. She also hides her power level because she does not want to scare people. As I have said her worldview is coherent and her actions are deliberate.

Daidre

Arcane
Her not remembering is an act, the same way her teehee I am just a wittwe gurl is an act. She does it because she does not want to create a cult of personality around herself. She also hides her power level because she does not want to scare people. As I have said her worldview is coherent and her actions are deliberate.
This is what I call some hardcore headcanon)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Do you also believe when she say that she is just simple girl?

And then convinces demons (which was thought to be impossible) to change ways?

Interesting amount of personal power for simple girl.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And yet - Ember is lost after the Tavern defence. Which means that when things went really wrong, she was helpless. Which also means that Hurlun was not so hellbent on killing her; he could have done it in 40 years for sure.

Also, her personal quest depends on the decisions of the Commander, who can either support her or completely destroy her. So, on one hand, she is a prophet because she knows the Chosen will come; on the other hand, she is insane because she does not know if the Chosen will work with her, against her or just ignore her.

From the enlightenment point of view she is correct. From the common sense point of view she is insane.

Daidre

Arcane
Power that was completely absent when some soldiers killed her on the streets of Kenabres without direct interference from MC and Co. And the same power that started to manifest after she got this nice M on her portrait when
MC shared his power up from Nahindrian crystal with all his close companions during the Gray Garrison.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Power that was completely absent when some soldiers killed her on the streets of Kenabres without direct interference from MC and Co.
Well, to be fair Ember survives that first scene in Kenabres without interference from the future Commander. I reloaded, like, 5 or 7 times to see all the possible outcomes.

And after that I had become absolutely sure that Wenduag was right, and this... creature should die.

Daidre

Arcane
Well, to be fair Ember survives that first scene in Kenabres without interference from the future Commander. I reloaded, like, 5 or 7 times to see all the possible outcomes.
Maybe you had Seelah in your party? She stops soldiers from killing Ember no matter what MC says. Should work without her.
After sharing a glance with the others, the knight plunges the sword into the girl's body. Blood spurts out and the elf girl falls onto the dirty cobblestones. Iomedae, accept this sacrifice! Bless this blade cleansed in the blood of an innocent maiden! Give it the power to slay the demons!

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Maybe you had Seelah in your party? She stops soldiers from killing Ember no matter what MC says. Should work without her.
After sharing a glance with the others, the knight plunges the sword into the girl's body. Blood spurts out and the elf girl falls onto the dirty cobblestones. Iomedae, accept this sacrifice! Bless this blade cleansed in the blood of an innocent maiden! Give it the power to slay the demons!
I have just checked. Seelah looks at the MC at the first moment, asking him/her to intervene. However, if all the options chosen are "Don't interfere", Seelah does not interject anymore. Ember survives by herself, and in the process almost makes one knight fight the other two.

And after that Wenduag says that she does not trust this girl. Which is, after this particular sequence, especially poignant.

Daidre

Arcane
And after that Wenduag says that she does not trust this girl. Which is, after this particular sequence, especially poignant.
Well, I guess this just adds to popular Hypnotoad theory about Ember - one, where she does not help people to find their way with her pure goodness but just... brainwashes them into being nice by her witch power with Mythic multiplier (and that was the reason why Hulrun tried to burn her and forgot about the fact).

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
In my headcanon (TM) all repentance is brainwashing to some extent, sometimes bordering on mind rape (how many years Arueshalae was imprisoned with no one but Desna commissars?). So for me everything fits perfectly.

However, for American puritans who actually believe that Jesus Christ existed and even saved something or someone, this is very hard to comprehend.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
from what i understand ember doesn't really reach into anybody who didn't already have something she could work with

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom