Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous RELEASE Thread - Treasure of the Midnight Isles DLC on August 30th

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.] Pathfinder: Kingmaker I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay... "genuinely good game" might be a bit much. But, the enthusiasm is appreciated simply because Act 1 is arguably the worst.
But, yeah... you definitely need to say what companions you're with, because your praises sound fishy.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.]
Okay... "genuinely good game" might be a bit much. But, the enthusiasm is appreciated simply because Act 1 is arguably the worst.
But, yeah... you definitely need to say what companions you're with, because your praises sound fishy.

Act I definitely sucks until you reach the cultist hideout to try saving the underground people, but otherwise it's been an interesting challenge.

I'm at the tavern defense battle now, during my first attempt my player character was killed by the minotaur.

I'm traveling with spiderwoman, evil oracle aristocrat, aristocrat lady witch, the moronic "playful" edgy thief, and the black tank woman. I think some of them are decent party members.

My character doesn't have a strong good/evil chaotic/lawful leaning, so i feel free to pick whatever options appeal to me.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.] Pathfinder: Kingmaker I helped put crap in Monomyth
I, personally, find the black tank woman one of the worst written companions I've seen in an RPG in recent memory. But okay. You do you.

Keep your opinions coming. Always nice to read the thoughts of someone new to the game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 [Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.]
I, personally, find the black tank woman one of the worst written companions I've seen in an RPG in recent memory. But okay. You do you.

Keep your opinions coming. Always nice to read the thoughts of someone new.
I generally agree and intend to immediately replace her when I meet a new viable tank/front line fighter. For now, however, I need her. She has a high armor class, she can damage demons, lay hands, etc.

There really aren't any good front line options other than her and wendaug spider lady (who I do like).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
I am still in Act 1 but I think this is a genuinely good game. The turn-based system seems to work well and the combat has been making me consider all my options (playing on core difficulty). Monster type etc means you have to always be aware of what sort of weapon you're wielding, and I assume something bad happens if you rest too much so I have been trying to push myself forward as much as possible. Which means I've been using all the items I find.

Impressive selection of monsters with the graphics & portraits to go with them, rag doll physics are great fun, and there's a sense of pace to it that works well (so far).
I don't mind Act 1. I tend to get bored and tired by the time Alushinyrra rolls around.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
wendaug spider lady

She makes an amazing Instinctual Warrior tank. (Very fitting rp-wise too.)

Wenduag and Lann came level 1 with really nice stats, you can go many different ways with them.
But fuck me sideways I always go Huntsmaster or Faith Hunter with Lann....
I'm currently rather fond of him as a Spirit Shaman.
Those Metal Curse, Hampering and Evil Eye hexes are very helpful.

And when not busy spamming those, he can delete the trashmobs pretty well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
So guys what would be strongest main character pure caster?
I was thinking some Illusionist that goes Trickster to pick up as many Completely Normal Magic feats as he can (do they stack?) and then switch into Legend to get more points into your main caster stat. Idea would be to use Completely Normal magic to both Persistent and Highten Wierd as much as possible for best possible DC. Not sure what to do about those immune to illusions.

Stoned Ape

Learned
wendaug spider lady

Wenduag and Lann came level 1 with really nice stats, you can go many different ways with them.

Most recently I went for Lann as an Empyreal Sorcerer and he was pretty useful.

He was also very handy as a wildshaping druid with the mythic abilities that allow him to boost attributes while shapechanged and ignore DR with natural attacks.

Delterius

Arcane
I was thinking some Illusionist that goes Trickster to pick up as many Completely Normal Magic feats as he can (do they stack?) and then switch into Legend to get more points into your main caster stat. Idea would be to use Completely Normal magic to both Persistent and Highten Wierd as much as possible for best possible DC. Not sure what to do about those immune to illusions.
If you want the better DCs then you want to avoid Trickster entirely. CNS doesn't stack with itself, it's a Metamagic like any other. Stat Focus can't be used to increase DCs either. Trickster is mostly for utility perks, martial buffing, and crits. So in that sense you can run a Ray crit build though it will take a really long while to bloom and it will require Eldritch Knight or Loremaster levels to work.

Best possible DCs is Demon. Aeon and Azata have lesser DC bonuses as well, with the latter having forced re-rolls for enemy saves.

RunningWolf

Educated
Nothing can EVER compare to the power of having faster spell progression due to merging. Demon and others are only viable if you abuse exploits, like Glory domain, Expanded Arsenal, etc. Which is what im doing because fuck them for making Angel and Lich so stupidly overpowered.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
Nothing can EVER compare to the power of having faster spell progression due to merging. Demon and others are only viable if you abuse exploits, like Glory domain, Expanded Arsenal, etc. Which is what im doing because fuck them for making Angel and Lich so stupidly overpowered.
That just gives you access to stronger spells sooner but everyone eventually gets to lvl 17 and you got no advantage. Now I wonder who can sling best spells at that level.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
If you want the better DCs then you want to avoid Trickster entirely. CNS doesn't stack with itself, it's a Metamagic like any other. Stat Focus can't be used to increase DCs either. Trickster is mostly for utility perks, martial buffing, and crits. So in that sense you can run a Ray crit build though it will take a really long while to bloom and it will require Eldritch Knight or Loremaster levels to work.

Best possible DCs is Demon. Aeon and Azata have lesser DC bonuses as well, with the latter having forced re-rolls for enemy saves.
Ah that is shame :( I was hoping it could stack but maybe they figured it would be too strong. But from I can read from Demon you can get +3 DC and 2x roll for any spell (and +2 from Mythic Spell Focus). I wonder if anyone else can get something similar. How long do these aspects of demons last when activated, can you activate both lesser and greater at same time (+3 is lesser, 2x save is greater) and how often between rests can these be used? Trickster into Legend has bonuses always active.

RunningWolf

Educated
That just gives you access to stronger spells sooner but everyone eventually gets to lvl 17 and you got no advantage. Now I wonder who can sling best spells at that level.
Spells scale with caster levels. Spell levels determines DC. You get more caster levels with mergers, you get more spells, you get higher DC, you get better spells.

So you "just" get incredibly fast spell access to level 9, stronger, more potent spells on a spell caster. There's nothing else to a full caster. Eventual catch up is irrelevant. Do you want to play "best" caster for 70% of the game or the last 20%? And merged mythics also give you arguably best spells in the game on top of it all.

Yeah, nothing can compete.

The only reason im plying non merged Demon caster is because i hate retarded Lich path and want to kill all the Demon Lords.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sad Loser
Spells scale with caster levels. Spell levels determines DC. You get more caster levels with mergers, you get more spells, you get higher DC, you get better spells.

So you "just" get incredibly fast spell access to level 9, stronger, more potent spells on a spell caster. There's nothing else to a full caster. Eventual catch up is irrelevant. Do you want to play "best" caster for 70% of the game or the last 20%? And merged mythics also give you arguably best spells in the game on top of it all.

Yeah, nothing can compete.

The only reason im plying non merged Demon caster is because i hate retarded Lich path and want to kill all the Demon Lords.
In this case I want it for last 30% :D

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I won the tavern battle on the second attempt. This time I did not charge the minotaur. I saw the minotaur focus on my main character, so I squeezed him through the friendly lines and ran behind the half-orc leader lady. She finally decided to do her job. Loot was meh, a pile of money and a decent unique weapon of a sort I don't even use.

Act I definitely sucks until you reach the cultist hideout to try saving the underground people,
you mean the maze?

Yes. I'm playing on core with TBS. In the maze I realised the game is not fucking around with the combat difficulty. I did not kill the water elemental (although I did sneak behind it and grab the ring). Also, the truth of the maze and wendaug's role in everything is actually somewhat interesting and quite dark. I suspect I will think of it more like Irenicus' dungeon in the long run (pain in the arse starting point), but it definitely gives your character an interesting companion choice and way to express his general morality/world-view and goals.

wendaug spider lady

wendaug spider lady

But fuck me sideways I always go Huntsmaster or Faith Hunter with Lann....

I was very tempted to make wendaug a disciple of the pike, would have been an amusing sight. However, her dex is so incredibly high that I kept her a fighter with finesse and dual-wielding. Also, she has been throwing cold iron masterwork javelins at all the demons, laser-accuracy = consistent damage every turn.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That was a nice attack roll :)
DD71CDDE3A5C83C881B8FC74C90CC5DB60B60A74

Stoned Ape

Learned
I was very tempted to make wendaug a disciple of the pike, would have been an amusing sight. However, her dex is so incredibly high that I kept her a fighter with finesse and dual-wielding. Also, she has been throwing cold iron masterwork javelins at all the demons, laser-accuracy = consistent damage every turn.

If you wanted to you could take FTR 5, Disciple of the Pike 15 with Wendaug and then get Fighter's Finesse (you need FTR 5 to qualify for advanced weapon training feats in order to pick that up). This would get her weapon finesse for all spears, then at mythic rank 2 she could get Mythic Finesse for + dex mod to damage with all light and finessable weapons (including light shields).

You could add on the shield bash line of feats and duel-wield shortspear & light shield with her (if you pick up shield mastery and bashing finish she can hit almost as hard with the shield as the spear), or situationally switch her weapon over to longspear as required.

Mythic Piranha Strike really helps with her damage output, so I'd try to get that at Mythic rank 4. (Rupture Restraints and Last Stand are the best two Mythic Ability picks for all front liners in my opinion).

Last edited:

RunningWolf

Educated
Demon DC Arcane bloodline Sorc - taking 5 levels of loremaster for an extra feat. Yay or Nay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom