Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now you could become a furry.

nmS1uCh.png

Funposter

Arcane
Even by Codexian standards, I think that people are focusing way too much on "wokist" elements. It's not exactly the game's main problem.

It's front-loaded and very much shoved in the player's face, so someone's impression after an hour or two of playtime is going to be soured by it if they dislike this stuff. If the exact same scenes happened but didn't occur until 20 hours into the game, there would have been barely a peep from anyone, since that's a lot of playtime and people have differing levels of dedication to playing the game. Instead, it's the FIRST thing that everyone experienced.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok reached a point in game where I can only choose demon, angel or trickster wtf. I avoided all the angel, demon options and just played a trick on a guy once. Where is my I don't want to be a faggot monster option. :argh:

In chapter 5 you can chose "legend" but till then, you need to choose a MP.
That is a fucking long time. It is pretty stupid to get this option only by the end of the game. A lot of dumb shit in this game.

That said i am in chapter 4 and it is pretty fun,shame that the level design is that annoying and pointless.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That is not a valid analogy cuz a good character building is one of pillars of any decent RPG.
And cheese is one of the pillars of a good burger. I'd still like the meat cooked though.

For example, imagine if you had only one mythic path.
This is veering into a strawman already. It's an exaggeration to go from 10 mythic paths and 100 or whatever classes/kits to 1 mythic path and the handful of classes you made up in previous strawman.

I can appreciate that you want to win the argument or defend the game or whatever, but to do that, you need to actually argue with what I'm saying and not something you made up.
But it was way less buggy. Would the game be better?
It would be less buggy.

Now if you were to actually cover what I said in the part you quoted:
meanwhile the game is buggy, a janky grind in the strategy part and has horrible writing.
And you weren't to strawman my argument:
So if you had fewer classes and less mythic paths, but the game were far less buggy, the writting were better and the strategy portion didn't involve you clicking a poorly animated gargoyle 1000 times, would the game be any better?
Then my answer would be yes.
Would the game be better? For the guys who only like the fantasy of a angel yes. For everyone else, no.
Trying to be everything to everyone is a great way to be excellent to no one.
I prefer vampirism over lichdoom
Do you think it'd be worth the game being even more buggy and having worse writing if they added a vampire lord mythic path?

I recall seeing a Steam review by someone who tried playing a lich btw. Except due to a bug that the developer admitted to in the comments, the lich path became broken for him. Is it worth it to him that you can play 9 other paths if his path is broken because the devs didn't have the time to dedicate to QCing it?
English is not my native language. In fact, is my third language. However, I had no problem in TOELF even with my poor grammar.
Cool, but it's still really bad. Case and point:
Lets pick my favorite BG3 char(Gale) and my favorite PF:WoTR char(Arueshalae) and compare the "believeability" of the two.

• Gale : A Wizard who had relationship with Mystra himself and owns inside his body a Netherese magical nuke. He has a bakground which I would expect from a guy like Karsus or Elminster. His level? 1. How he got such artifact? Why nobody used divination magic and killed such weakling for such artifact? What in his character made a interested in him? Nothing is explained.
Well, I think I understand what you're saying here, but you're still not understanding.

These are all things you find difficult to believe because of the mechanics and your knowledge of the setting. (Didn't Mystra involve herself with a lot of mortals and even have kids while possessing one btw?)

That's fine, but it has nothing to do with writing quality. For example, Gale doesn't tell you ANY of that about himself upon first meeting you. He actively tries his best to hide all of this from you. I haven't gotten into his background very much and it's unfinished due to being early access, but this is what a character in a game should be like. They should have layers you need to peel back to find out more about them. This is how you write an interesting character. You don't just say "hey, I'm a so and so and here's my gimmick".
Arueshalae
I haven't gotten to her yet. Frankly, it's hard to find the motivation to play a game I already don't like very much.
You only get her at chapter 3 cuz she is too powerful for a low level campaign.
But taking on a demon army at level 2 is ok. Riiiight.
Because you are judging a game by the introductory part(which everyone agrees that is awful) and it is like judging a book by the first 5 pages.
Again, I find it ironic that all the people who backed the beta are so willing to call the start of the game awful when they've had access to it for a long time now and were singing the game's praises for months.

I appreciate that there is mid and late game content and all, but I'd prefer it if the early game wasn't so bad. I can't imagine it improves that much later, but I will keep you updated should I suddenly change my mind.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
is this true ? The strong single enemy part doesn’t worry me but the ctrl+c spam does.
(removing cup of hot beverage from hands)
eh? what r u asking? I am not yet past all the pages of new age shitposting and Meredoth smiting people with his lichdom powers.

idk, what would Desiderius say? prebuff your stupid party, play how game was designed (RTwP) and rush through enemies in supersonic azata speed killing everything, stop sucking.

Yeah not sure where the money for DOUBLE REACTIVITY went to.
There seems to be now unique dialogue for races and even gods you pick. But how much idk, more than PKM, but less than POE.

Maybe I suck at building companions, but I'm struggling with most of them.

The paladin is okaish tanky, but I rather use my 2H paladin. Lann is OP with little effort, but the rest...
Ember I only use for spamming slumber, which surprisingly can put down mini-bossess, and the tiefling can pull his weight.

But how do you use Camelia properly? or count decadence? Is it so difficult to have more mundane class hirelings?

Playing this in core I'm having a harder time than in Kingmaker, not sure if it is overall harder or is it just that half of the companions are rather weak.

Damn, Lann feels very overpowered compared to the rest of my party. Got that longbow +3 from some dead mutant elf woman, and now Lann just snipes everything with his 2, sometimes 3 attacks. May have to kick him out the group, this feels like cheating.

Get him the Mythic Feat that deals a free attack on any enemy on a 10-foot radius after he makes a kill or critic. Lulz. Can't remember if I had half as much fun with an archer before.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is it just me or is the writing of Ember just fantastic?

Character outline is good, but the *execution* of the wiseass dialogue is very, very nice.
yeah she's some sort of writing anomaly. in-character, and no graphomania. almost like some outsource writer made her (not MCA). similar situation to Rhin from Numa.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ember I only use for spamming slumber, which surprisingly can put down mini-bossess, and the tiefling can pull his weight.
:hmmm:

Not sure if serious,she is the dps boss killa. Just give her evo magic specialty and pick all the offensive magic,add the elemental feats and then the mythic elemental feat for ignoring resistance and you have a killa. Which is pretty ironic since she is the pacifist saint.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
yeah she's some sort of writing anomaly. in-character, and no graphomania. almost like some outsource writer made her (not MCA). similar situation to Rhin from Numa.
I actually suspect she was written by MCA, since she's basically Aerie, but crazy.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Are you people enjoying so far? xD

I dont like to read threads about games I'm currently playing, but I'm curious about your impressions so far.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I actually suspect she was written by MCA
MCA writing fantasy is very wordy and uses third-person actions in his roleplaying a lot, sorta dragging you in of companions story in a whirlpool of expressions. He's too much of a smartass DM to write Ember-likes.

Trash Player

Scholar
Ok reached a point in game where I can only choose demon, angel or trickster wtf. I avoided all the angel, demon options and just played a trick on a guy once. Where is my option to a legendary hero I don't want to be a faggot monster option. :argh:
Angels and Demons are unlocked by default. The other early paths need to be unlocked by looking out.

Takamori

Learned
I was so happy, oh boy no more city administration just silly crusades and here fucking city administration up your asshole again

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maybe I suck at building companions, but I'm struggling with most of them
Paladin is both tank/damager, early game it's easier to run her with 2 hander, until you find better equipment. due to paladin smite and later mass smite obviously op. she can also multiclass into many things, if you don't like paladinos.
Lann is op, and can be op cleric (druid) multiclass with bow, ac from wis, all that, + pet
Wenduag is make-your-own op fighta char.
Ember is the OPest, if you know what "a re-roll" means. Pick abilities that suck enemies for -to everything, cackle, and abilities that force re-rolls (or give you re-rolls). Witch is basically a -1 diffiiculty level if you have someone to use their -saving throws.
Camelia is support buffer and they say a tank if you pick tank shaman stuff. oh right, also debufs. I usually don't play her but I once just switched her into elven curve blade damager with sneaks. I also seen some ppl switch her into ranger and I ran her as hunter with dogi once.
Tiefling is flat minmaxed thief/mage, an absolute no-brain.
Lestat made by russian 40+ yo fangirls who watched too much vampire interview on old russian television is an obvious blaster (sorcerer casting + cleric dmg+cc anti chaos spells), for some reason owlcats shoved him into healbot build tho. not sure what his extra powers now are, since he was bugged in beta, but he can spam lots of spells, use it.
Neni struggles a lot like all mages early, but basically she is for a party that can buff casters and cc and kill with Illusions. early game use her to multiply all scrolls and teach them to Neeshka-man. since I play casters I prefer to multi her into something tho to replace Neeshka-man.
Sosiel is just op, it's like a muscle blacklord tristian.
Regill is straight no nonsense dual, since many attaxx, you need to add to every attaxx extra damage (crusaders edge, hurr). he uses Crushing weapon because, right after you get him, Owlcats throw crushing-vulnerable swarms on u wink wunk hint hint
Dorf is banal axe killer
Primadonna is just flat OP ranged obliterator.
mythic/secret companionz not gonna go into them, haven't met all of dem.

problems I see with chars is weird ember build (although might work later with items), strange spells for Cam, and since you already have heal supports in Cam, Ember, and later Sos, Lestat feats are pointless.
At the same time there is a lack of alchemist equivalents with elemental dmg.
Aside from that I don't know how losing with these minmaxed shits (who of course also get various DM-approved companion itemz) is even possible. You want a harder game, roll mercenaries. I always multiclass companions into some dumb shit to get a more interesting game cause of braindead effectiviness of chars like Lann "multi log thrower" etc.

Last edited:

Psquit

Arcane

I dont like to read threads from games I'm currently playing, but I'm curious about your impressions so far.

Minor bugs, with the exception of a major one but I'm enjoying the game at the moment. I hate the cock teasing with the Lich class, not even Arthas was hustled this much... I just want to be a skeleton.

dacencora

No. It's full of bugs and bad writing. Not to mention the LGBT stuff.

Those who backed it seem to love it though.
It does have bugs and yes the writing is very hit and miss (the pathfinder society guy’s dialogue was standout for being normal, instead of bad lol) but I am enjoying it a lot.

Wenduag and Ember are the most interesting characters I’ve met so far.

dacencora

Man, this is nigh unplayable after leaving the Shield Maze. My 1080 cannot keep up. Gonna try and go down to 1080p, which will look hideous on my monitor, but it’s getting down to like 15 fps lmao
For people unable to believe it, a GTX 1080 at 1440p, paired with an AMD 3700x struggles at Medium settings. Any time that there are huge special FX on screen, it becomes sluggish, even more so if there are a ton of enemies. So the fight with all the cultists at the Wardstone after you get out of the Maze is pretty abysmal to go through (not to mention it bugged the first time and I didn’t see the dialogue of the cutscene lol)

Trash Player

Scholar
Is it just me or is the writing of Ember just fantastic?

Character outline is good, but the *execution* of the wiseass dialogue is very, very nice.
She is written by Thainen, you know, the one who also desired to put in a transwomen dwarf back in KM. Source: Pre-launch Ask Me Anything on Owlcat reddit
I guess people can find some common ground for once in this culture war debacle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom