Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Ah yes, more crusading fun (see turn number once more)...
J25FVJ0.png

Unless I'm missing something, this is all the manpower that I was allowed to muster for this month.

Take a mage general, it'll save you a lot of nerves. You don't need an army.

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, Trickster Mythic Trick UMD rank 3 gives you a full wizard spell book which scales from INT.

Enlightened Philosopher Oracle gives you +5 INT if you stay as a pure class.

Both spell books benefit from abundant casting.

It's pretty easy to build one with 15 INT and 19 CHA, meaning you can either have both attributes at 22 (or 26 with Bokken potion + tomes by end game, or one at 24 and the other at 28).

Trickster Oracle is a better Mystic Theurge than a Mystic Theurge?

Reina

Arcane
Okay, chapter 3 finished, uff. The game is growing on me

- Still hate crusading part, but at last I finally cracked it. Turns out, hiring non-mage hero was my one mistake. I have two armies, both of equal (7) strength, one led by general lv9, one led by a mage lv12. The former one can't handle armies of equal strength without taking casualties. The latter effortlessly dismantles armies 3-4 power levels above it. Jesus, talk about imbalance.

- I've took all time in the world during this chapter, but still managed to only research around third of found relics. Eh.

- Some encounters are a slog. Those uber-AC's in Blackwater... my azata slayer mc is a terminator capable of dismantling dragon in one turn, but even he was reduced to fishing for crits when fighting those augmented abominations. And weirdly, aside from their ridiculous AC, monsters in that dungeon are a joke, even the final boss.

- I can't help but feel something went wrong with my dice rolls after last patch. I'm getting suspiciously large number of low rolls, sometimes multiple 1's in row. Never noticed such problem in my 300h in Kingmaker...

- Companions are really, really growing on me:
Ember is DEAREST, PRECIOUS COOKIE. Must protecc
Nenio's personality was grating at me at first, but her VA is carrying the show. Her "You're irrelevant' line when attacking is hiularious
Daeran and Arueshuale are very good, Lann plays a bit overdone tropes, but he's fine

The only one of my usual squad I can't stomach is black Paladin, and only because of her very black kween voice. God, it's so jarring. Can't wait for evil playthrough when I'll replace her with Regill.

- Overall, I appreciate how many banters devs have interwoven in sometimes most surprising places. Sometimes it might feel there's too much text, but amount of content they put in is staggering.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
- I can't help but feel something went wrong with my dice rolls after last patch. I'm getting suspiciously large number of low rolls, sometimes multiple 1's in row. Never noticed such problem in my 300h in Kingmaker...
Yeah, I am having the same issue. I first thought I was having my usual bad luck with the rolls (I have infamous bad luck). But then it just kept going.

How do you even report this? "I'm rolling 1's way too often"?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From what I've seen so far, I doubt the itemization here comes anywhere near Deadfire level, particularly in relation to gameplay and playstyle impact.
There are some pretty cool items. My fav at this point is a Scythe in ch2 that gives perma cleave on adjacent enemies. With mythic Power Attack and Cleaving Finish it is hilarious. Run to a bunch of Ghouls and all of them just blow up in the first round.
Sounds cool (vs mobs). What is included in this "cleave" damage though? The description mentions weapon damage. If its just that, it might not be exactly impressive. Though Owlcats have a tendency to program in such a way that some bonus sources of damage are re-applied too.

Sheepherder

Augur
It's possible to get 21 (or 22) charisma at character creation. Pick half-elf, pick kin raised and then pick CHA as your bonus stat. Half elves can even pick Elven Magic later on as a regular feat for an extra +2 CL for magic resistance bypass. They do lose out the other elven feat which gives another +1 CL. Beats having to play an elf tho

Shaki

Arbiter
So, Trickster Mythic Trick UMD rank 3 gives you a full wizard spell book which scales from INT.

Enlightened Philosopher Oracle gives you +5 INT if you stay as a pure class.

Both spell books benefit from abundant casting.

It's pretty easy to build one with 15 INT and 19 CHA, meaning you can either have both attributes at 22 (or 26 with Bokken potion + tomes by end game, or one at 24 and the other at 28).

Trickster Oracle is a better Mystic Theurge than a Mystic Theurge?

Trickster is a better anything than anything. Even with half of the mythic tricks being bugged and not working properly.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
From what I've seen so far, I doubt the itemization here comes anywhere near Deadfire level, particularly in relation to gameplay and playstyle impact.
There are some pretty cool items. My fav at this point is a Scythe in ch2 that gives perma cleave on adjacent enemies. With mythic Power Attack and Cleaving Finish it is hilarious. Run to a bunch of Ghouls and all of them just blow up in the first round.
Sounds cool (vs mobs). What is included in this "cleave" damage though? The description mentions weapon damage. If its just that, it might not be exactly impressive. Though Owlcats have a tendency to program in such a way that some bonus sources of damage are re-applied too.

I had not tested everything, but Power Attack and STR definitely applied. In general, damage numbers where pretty close for all hits, normal and cleaving, but I do not have any sneak dices.

cw8

Cipher
So what Mythic path is good for lawful good Monk? I got screwed out of Azata coz I went into the game blind and didn't do the steps. Anyway, I think Azata requires Chaotic. Angel feels typical and boring. So Gold Dragon?

Parabalus

Arcane
So what Mythic path is good for lawful good Monk? I got screwed out of Azata coz I went into the game blind and didn't do the steps. Anyway, I think Azata requires Chaotic. Angel feels typical and boring. So Gold Dragon?

Aeon, Lich

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, finally a game where the difficulty settings seem to have correct meaning. Hard isn't "normal", the devs don't pull punches. Still early in chapter one (guess will storm Grey Garrison soon), but can't say its smooth sailing, even with a relatively Munchkin character (respecced back to Instinctual Warrior - Initiative helps and I hated the skill maluses of heavy armor). Need almost maximum buff in every serious encounter.
The Cambion alchemist with his Mimic buddies was brutal. Lately met the Vrock I've carefree summoned before. Fun!
In general Ember's Protective Hex is the real, huge lifesaver. Really makes more offensive focused characters viable.

Decided to just go with 1 level of Rowdy for now - 2 in Instinctual and at least 6 in Vivi - need the defensive ramp from mutagen, protective spells and Feral Wings.
Although final split is a difficult conundrum. On the one hand, I want maximum Vivi for Persistant Mutagen, Legendary Proportions, Transformation.
On the other, that won't get me Greater Vital Strike (unless I cheat with some Trickster trick), Barbarian stance +2 to hit or Debilitating Injury for -4 enemy AC for next round. As a Vital Strike build with mostly just 1 attack per round I can't take proper advantage of Debilitating - but Trickster Mobility 2 could be fun to apply Debilitating passively, by moving trough threatened zones...

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, finally a game where the difficulty settings seem to have correct meaning. Hard isn't "normal", the devs don't pull punches. Still early in chapter one (guess will storm Grey Garrison soon), but can't say its smooth sailing, even with a relatively Munchkin character (respecced back to Instinctual Warrior - Initiative helps and I hated the skill maluses of heavy armor). Need almost maximum buff in every serious encounter.
The Cambion alchemist with his Mimic buddies was brutal. Lately met the Vrock I've carefree summoned before. Fun!
In general Ember's Protective Hex is the real, huge lifesaver. Really makes more offensive focused characters viable.

Decided to just go with 1 level of Rowdy for now - 2 in Instinctual and at least 6 in Vivi - need the defensive ramp from mutagen, protective spells and Feral Wings.
Although final split is a difficult conundrum. On the one hand, I want maximum Vivi for Persistant Mutagen, Legendary Proportions, Transformation.
On the other, that won't get me Greater Vital Strike (unless I cheat with some Trickster trick), Barbarian stance +2 to hit or Debilitating Injury for -4 enemy AC for next round. As a Vital Strike build with mostly just 1 attack per round I can't take proper advantage of Debilitating - but Trickster Mobility 2 could be fun to apply Debilitating passively, by moving trough threatened zones...

If you're going Trickster, Persuasion 1 + Thug is great. Higher ranks of Persuasion aren't that good since the DC is based on rank, without bonuses.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

If you're going Trickster, Persuasion 1 + Thug is great. Higher ranks of Persuasion aren't that good since the DC is based on rank, without bonuses.

Thank you. I was planning for Persuasion 1. No Thug though - rolling with Rowdy.
Guess it will finally be Vivi 12 (Greater Mutagen) / Instinctual 4 / Rowdy 4. Missing spells I will probably get from Trickster UMD Wizard spellbook.... The nice thing with such split is that it should let me pick GVS at level 20 with a rogue's combat Trick (and avoid investing in suboptimal Tricks to skip requirements). Less nice that I have to wait till level 20 for Debilitating.

Daidre

Arcane
Well, finally a game where the difficulty settings seem to have correct meaning. Hard isn't "normal", the devs don't pull punches. Still early in chapter one (guess will storm Grey Garrison soon), but can't say its smooth sailing, even with a relatively Munchkin character (respecced back to Instinctual Warrior - Initiative helps and I hated the skill maluses of heavy armor).
As I have noticed, without aggressive soloing and xp hoarding you can easily spend first 30-40 hours below level 10. And it is huge chunk of the game. And spreading so thin on all necessary dips for built to come together later you a get a much shorter end of the stick in comparison with single class chars.

So imho, you'd be much better off just going full Rowdy in medium/heavy armor. There is a lot less Stat belts and headbands in first half of the game comparing to Kingmaker so getting necessary high DEX STR and WIS to be effective at tanking while unarmored is not really viable.

For example, I am close to CH4 and had not seen +4 WIS item yet.

Parabalus

Arcane

Thank you. I was planning for Persuasion 1. No Thug though - rolling with Rowdy.
Guess it will finally be Vivi 12 (Greater Mutagen) / Instinctual 4 / Rowdy 4. Missing spells I will probably get from Trickster UMD Wizard spellbook.... The nice thing with such split is that it should let me pick GVS at level 20 with a rogue's combat Trick (and avoid investing in suboptimal Tricks to skip requirements). Less nice that I have to wait till level 20 for Debilitating.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Perception 2 improved feats can't be taken with fighter combat feats or rogue combat tricks, and there are 4 or 5 of them.

My PC was Mutation Warrior / Thug 1, then I respeced to Rowdy/Two-weapon, even as a human it's very tight on feats.

I used Arcana 2 most of the time, the buffs to all items are great. You get the first Greater Trick at the end of C4, so it'll be a while.

With Arcana 3, you can reroll items, you could get a weapon with 3 elemental effects, triggering Elemental Barrage constantly. Then you respec to UMD wizard, and stack Geniekinds.

For example, I am close to CH4 and had not seen +4 WIS item yet.

They will start dropping from trash soon, and there are a few +6 in Ch4.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
My PC was Mutation Warrior / Thug 1, then I respeced to Rowdy/Two-weapon, even as a human it's very tight on feats.
I have some plans on going Rowdy + Fauchard/Elven Curved Blade + Trickster's all crit improving feats, should be really cool with mythic Vital strike and Power Attack.

But my current gig is riding murderous tripping super dogs with teamwork feats.

Parabalus

Arcane
I have some plans on going Rowdy + Fauchard/Elven Curved Blade + Trickster's all crit improving feats, should be really cool with mythic Vital strike and Power Attack.

But my current gig is riding murderous tripping super dogs with teamwork feats.

I started with a cavalier, but mounts often just went berserk it RTwP, charging or not. Spamming move and they'd ignore it and just go for the enemy, gave up on it.

I have a Fauchard Rowdy now, but had to give up on PA a bit, AB wasn't enough. Just one Rowdy level seems best.

Daidre

Arcane
I went sanctified slayer with animal domain.
]
That's my current char!)
With Azata's Shake It Off on whole party and Daeran's Friend to all Animals for his CHA to all saves, my dog have saves that put Iomedae's Paladins to shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom