Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Longes

Augur
so i chose to not incorporate the standard divine fascist role of any generic Paladin, but to project my RL persona on the scenario.
my approach crashed with the limits of the game. while RL i would have forced an expansion at least of the executive responsibilities of my profession, in game i lost my alignment status, cuz obv iam a (too-) good (-for-Paladin) guy, everyone (good and sane) wants to be friends with...

by the applause of my companions the Fifth Crusade was retitled as Love Parade, bringing back the R to Awe (jaja, unwoke my heart).

Pathfinder 2s aesthetical value is the context of power - abuse, resistance and potential exemplified on the role model story of a grieving mothers despair. love hurts, thats y some refuse to love. but then there r those life-changing moments of truth, when the singular (reasonable) option is to act, cuz no one wants to listen to James Blunts Youre Beautiful for the rest of their miserable life...
I have no idea what you are saying, but indeed, if you always act Good and never act Lawful - you are Neutral Good, not Lawful Good.

That is actually a plot point in Seelah's questline, and you can convince her that if she stays the way she is she'll lose her Paladin status - that she needs to be more Lawful and less emotional.

Sheepherder

Augur
The incubus torturer, if done before lost chapel, is imo the real miniboss of chapter 2. At least on unfair. No second mythic rank and I was level 7, plus that motherfucker has the gall to use dispel too.
I still don't feel like I've figured out AC stacking completely, so my Sheelah build had ~45 AC at the time, versus his ~50 AB. He hits for 50 damage per attack. No True Seeing thankfully.

Also, armor isn't as bad as I was led to believe. Classes which have Armor Training do really well with it.

Longes

Augur
The incubus torturer, if done before lost chapel, is imo the real miniboss of chapter 2. At least on unfair. No second mythic rank and I was level 7, plus that motherfucker has the gall to use dispel too.
I still don't feel like I've figured out AC stacking completely, so my Sheelah build had ~45 AC at the time, versus his ~50 AB. He hits for 50 damage per attack. No True Seeing thankfully.

Also, armor isn't as bad as I was led to believe. Classes which have Armor Training do really well with it.
I found that the skeleton swarms stay pretty relevant throughout Act 2 and can ease a lot of problems.

Sheepherder

Augur
That's pretty much how I dealt with him, only instead of skeletons I used the spare summoning scrolls I had lying around in my inventory. It was like a ritual sacrifice of some sorts, 1 summoned dog killed each turn, while Sosiel (more like сосать, amirite) molested my PC with Touch of Good.

volklore

Arcane
Are dinosaur bones being sold anywhere, I haven't found ? Or should I be real conservative with Legendary proportions ?

Armor was always alright early-midgame. Most of the AC comes from buffs and items anyways and Wrath is more stingy with +stats items. I still haven't found more than +4 cha or wis items at lvl 15. That said armor requires more effort to AC stack (you need armor training and extra feats). My armored Bard/DD/Fighter stacks up to 70 AC (after fighting defensivly and wings) in Act4 without legendary proportions or seamantle scrolls with UMD, but I did have to spend quite a bit of feats to stack this AC. All but the highest AB enemies just cannot hit it and you could definitely stack more with different classes. Concealment/mirror imag was a big help early game though.
I am now valueing UMD really high just because of the fact you can easily access the best personal buffs like seamantle, frightful aspect, just make sure you turn nenio into a scroll factory.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
Are dinosaur bones being sold anywhere, I haven't found ? Or should I be real conservative with Legendary proportions ?

Armor was always alright early-midgame. Most of the AC comes from buffs and items anyways and Wrath is more stingy with +stats items. I still haven't found more than +4 cha or wis items at lvl 15. That said armor requires more effort to AC stack (you need armor training and extra feats). My armored Bard/DD/Fighter stacks up to 70 AC (after fighting defensivly and wings) in Act4 without legendary proportions or seamantle scrolls with UMD, but I did I to spend quite a bit of feats to stack this AC. All but the highest AB enemies just cannot hit it.
I am now valueing UMD really high just because of the fact you can easily access the best personal buffs like seamantle, just make sure you turn nenio into a scroll factory.

Act 4 starts throwing +6 stat items at you on a regular basis. Both from finding them and shops. And yeah, dino bones aren't sold anywhere to my knowledge (I make due with a brown fur transmuter casting frightful aspect).

You can bypass the dino bone part with a scroll, though that's a wee bit annoying.

volklore

Arcane
Act 4 starts throwing +6 stat items at you on a regular basis. Both from finding them and shops. And yeah, dino bones aren't sold anywhere to my knowledge (I make due with a brown fur transmuter casting frightful aspect).

You can bypass the dino bone part with a scroll, though that's a wee bit annoying.

I found +6 belts a lot but no mental stats so far. And belts are single stat +6. By lvl 15 in KM, you were already rocking some +6 mental perfection and probably a couple +8 physical perfection. The generousness of this game really pushed unarmored and monk AC really hard. Here it's mythic mage armor I guess and the fact you can technically do it with potions...

Mauman

Learned

I found +6 belts a lot but no mental stats so far. And belts are single stat +6. By lvl 15 in KM, you were already rocking some +6 mental perfection and probably a couple +8 physical perfection. The generousness of this game really pushed unarmored and monk AC really hard. Here it's mythic mage armor I guess and the fact you can technically do it with potions...

you're right about KM. In fact, I'd say that KM was WAY more generous than Wrath on magic items in general. Weapons, Armor, AND accessories.

But there are at least 3 +6 wisdom circlets (2 of which also add 5 perfect strikes if you have the feat and the other one adds 1 CL to transmuter spells) and a +6 int circlet before you head off to meat a certain demon lord. I think there's more but those are the ones I'm currently using (weirdly enough, I don't think I found a single +6 charisma circlet)

Sheepherder

Augur
Armor was always alright early-midgame. Most of the AC comes from buffs and items anyways and Wrath is more stingy with +stats items. I still haven't found more than +4 cha or wis items at lvl 15. That said armor requires more effort to AC stack (you need armor training and extra feats). My armored Bard/DD/Fighter stacks up to 70 AC (after fighting defensivly and wings) in Act4 without legendary proportions or seamantle scrolls with UMD, but I did have to spend quite a bit of feats to stack this AC. All but the highest AB enemies just cannot hit it and you could definitely stack more with different classes. Concealment/mirror imag was a big help early game though.
I am now valueing UMD really high just because of the fact you can easily access the best personal buffs like seamantle, frightful aspect, just make sure you turn nenio into a scroll factory.

I plan for Seelah to tank for me, she'll mostly be a tower shield fightee with a level in sorc for bloodline capstone, some viv for mutagen and a thug dip. So she'll be lacking mirror image, seamantle and frightful aspect.
Is using UMD for mirror image and other self buffs sustainable in the long run?

volklore

Arcane
I plan for Seelah to tank for me, she'll mostly be a tower shield fightee with a level in sorc for bloodline capstone, some viv for mutagen and a thug dip. So she'll be lacking mirror image, seamantle and frightful aspect.
Is using UMD for mirror image and other self buffs sustainable in the long run?
The Valerie build! TSS thug vivisectionist, good times :D
Depends how tedious you think it is. But the game gives you a ton of time later on, If you craft scrolls and potions every rest at least in the main camp you will accumulate quite a lot, and a lot more if you use characters with crafting skills in your main party. Especially since there isn't any time limit in some acts (like act 4 doesn't seem to have time limitations at all since there is no crusade mechanics there). There is a couple items that boost caster level of scrolls too. Since you mentionned unfair, you might want to look into that. I heard unfair has a crazy stat ramp in late game that makes companion tanking a bit hard.

Mauman

Learned
Shit....

That moment when you beat
Nocticula
in two rounds, but you FORGOT to shoot said entity with a midnight bolt.

Well, round 2 I suppose.

Also Trickster will forever have a special place in my heart and I doubt anything will surpass
Nocticula in a tutu
wZEU9OP.jpeg

edit - 2nd time took 5 rounds. Guess that's what happens when you don't get two 1,200 crits in a row :P

Still, no one died (ok, that's a lie, one animal companion got gibbed).

2nd edit - Jesus, I got 737,000 exp for this fight....well, one more level to go to 20 :D

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
the amount of effort they put into Emigma is pretty impressive, even the final boss is better designed than all of the bosses in the main story.

it's like they try to make you missing these content: we made a big ass dungeon and a cool boss, now we need to bury it under a million puzzles so people get really annoyed and just skip the whole quest.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is why this game is great. Zero concern about balance.

The best games are those who don't care about balance, just like the best countries are those who don't care about equality.

I grew to HATE Pillars (and by extension 2) because of their obsession with "balance" in a single player game. Really sucked the fun out of things and basically took away my will to finish one and I've never picked up 2 because of it.

Speaking about "balance" in the context of Pillars of Eternity (and even moreso part 2)
:deathclaw:

Mauman

Learned
This is why this game is great. Zero concern about balance.

The best games are those who don't care about balance, just like the best countries are those who don't care about equality.

I grew to HATE Pillars (and by extension 2) because of their obsession with "balance" in a single player game. Really sucked the fun out of things and basically took away my will to finish one and I've never picked up 2 because of it.

Speaking about "balance" in the context of Pillars of Eternity (and even moreso part 2)
:deathclaw:

Meh :P

The game just felt, blander is the word I'd use I guess, after every "balance" patch. Just my take on it, don't mind me.

the amount of effort they put into Emigma is pretty impressive, even the final boss is better designed than all of the bosses in the main story.

it's like they try to make you missing these content: we made a big ass dungeon and a cool boss, now we need to bury it under a million puzzles so people get really annoyed and just skip the whole quest.

Supposedly, I can skip it since I
got an extra crystal from Nocticula.

Still tempted to do it with a guide though (I don't do well with puzzles anymore).

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
This game loves, I mean it absolutely fucking adores giving you combat allies that are completely useless. Literally, even if they are able to hit enemies (most aren't) they will do 0 dmg to them. What's the point, exactly, apart from making everything more of a drag and a clusterfuck? Or all those encounters where you are sort of expected to save someone, but they just get 1-2 shot in the first round, before you manage to pull your hand out of your pants.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only exception to this is

the Nocticula fight, she killed Shamira and Yozz in one turn before I could do anything.

In every other instance your allies might as well not be there.

Mauman

Learned
The only exception to this is

the Nocticula fight, she killed Shamira and Yozz in one turn before I could do anything.

In every other instance your allies might as well not be there.
Another exception is
fittingly enough, the Trickster path Nocticula fight. Since there's 5 high level outsiders, they'll likely even do some damage. Hell, the Griffon has so much hp that Nocticula will have to take 2+ turns to take him down.

volklore

Arcane
The one thing I'll agree with when it comes to casters and their so-called weakness is that most of the power is in mythic feats and abilities are mostly QoL (apart from ascended elements which does very little if not a blaster). Abundant casting is nice but doesn't really make you solve encounters better and favorite metamagic is niche and doesn't even allow to pick selective or persistent. Meanwhile feats have Sorcerous Reflexes, mythic spell pen, mythic spell focus, expanded arsenal, Mythic improved initiative. My control caster feels very mythic feat starved since you can convert feats into abilities but not the other way around...

Sheepherder

Augur
The Valerie build! TSS thug vivisectionist, good times :D
Depends how tedious you think it is. But the game gives you a ton of time later on, If you craft scrolls and potions every rest at least in the main camp you will accumulate quite a lot, and a lot more if you use characters with crafting skills in your main party. Especially since there isn't any time limit in some acts (like act 4 doesn't seem to have time limitations at all since there is no crusade mechanics there). There is a couple items that boost caster level of scrolls too. Since you mentionned unfair, you might want to look into that. I heard unfair has a crazy stat ramp in late game that makes companion tanking a bit hard.
I just couldn't make her work from the start without an immediate viv dip and then going tower shield. I guess other builds would be better later on, but I needed her to tank now. Right now she tanks, applies Shaken and deals alright damage. She absolutely destroyed Zacharius tho. The real MVP of that fight.
I'm already using Nenio, so I guess getting enough scrolls shouldn't be a problem then. Good to know.

Mauman

Learned
Jesus Christ, Religion trick rank 2 is horribly bugged in both very good and very bad ways. I assume rank 3 is just as bad

The bad.

1. You don't get 2 domains, only 1
2. You don't get the abilities (so no getting an animal companion for instance)

Note - both of these is in direct violation of the description of the ability.

The Good.

1. You get spells as advertised, but it's not once per day (despite the icon having a number next to it). It's at will. So you get a level 1 through fucking 9 spell to use as you see fit, as many times as you want. Also, metamagic rods work with them and they don't take charges from the rod.

Yeesh :roll:

cw8

Cipher
Dawn of Dragons sidequest would be real apt if you took Gold Dragon path. I wonder if there's any reactivity to turning yourself into a dragon in front of them.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Trickster is a bit of a boomer, because if you pick the unique trickster option
as transforming Vellexia in a mirror, the aasimar sadist in a woman, etc

You lose the enemy loot :\

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Oh yeah, can't wait to see what amazing places this character goes.
This character went to some amazing places.
20211012224456-1.jpg
20211012225653-1.jpg
20211013001255-1.jpg

20211013094024-1.jpg
20211013175712-1.jpg

Critical hits, granted. But a Stength-boosted Paladin-turned-Angel definitely fits the mold of a Righteous Avenger, I can only hope to achieve similar heights with other characters in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom