Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm having big problems with the fight at the end of the demodand quest.

The archers just obliterate the squishies, and the stringy demodands that spawn in right on top of the backline don't help. And the rest of the encounter (3 gallus, 4 high level kineticists and 1 super strong alchemist) aren't really pushovers either. And everything has a lot of buffs, massive hp pools and high saves in every category. I suspect the correct strategy is to use some very metagamey mass dimension door to teleport all squishies up to the second level while the bruisers stay on the ground floor (I tried teleporting everyone, but the balconies are too narrow so you just trip over yourself). Even then, the archers just have high enough initative that I am guaranteed to lose one character before they get a chance to act.

Doesn't help that the displacement buff they have seems to ignore true seeing.

Yosharian

Arcane
Azata :
  • Superpowers - Zippy magic and Favorable magic
  • Dragon companion which can dish 26d10 breath attack damage
  • Ability to ride the dragon in late game
  • Semi immortality
  • Cool water spells
  • Opportunity to kill a archdevil
  • (...)
Trickster :
  • Sneak attack
  • A beard
I can see the appeal of all mythic paths, except demon and trickster.
Um. Improved Improved Critical? Completely Normal Spell? Trick Fate? Keeping your Trickster feats then diving into Legend?

Yosharian

Arcane
imho magic device 3 is a TRAP. Won't probably spell penetrate and have shit DC.

Depends. For a Fighter wanting to cast legendary proportions, mirror image and so on on himself, it has his values.

Mirror image is already in the trickster base spellbook, and I had like 4 companions able to cast legendary proportions, and everyone should too.
Rest of high level self buff spells, like ice body, fiery body, seamantle imho not worth it. You get it late and leave on the table more useful stuff (even though right now half of trickster abilities are bugged and do nothing).
Yeah immunity to crits and fire, who needs that shit

Mauman

Learned
Meh, you get the 3rd level trickster ability when? End of chapter IV? So for most of the game (and arguably the hardest part of it) you would take spell penetration feats instead of something more useful for your build. I don't see the point honestly.

My melee rowdy rogue took it so that he could basically cast quickened true strikes on himself every round.

He also took care of some of the buffing so my other casters could focus on other things.

Depends on how you use it. It worked well for me on my daring playthrough.

Um. Improved Improved Critical? Completely Normal Spell? Trick Fate? Keeping your Trickster feats then diving into Legend?

Yeah, there's a lot they're glossing over here.

(even though right now half of trickster abilities are bugged and do nothing).

To my understanding most of the trickster abilities have been fixed now.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Do you realize what that means.
17651.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey guys.

Do you know that the sword of heaven is 24hours with everlasting flames talent and greater enduring spells?

Do you realize what that means.

Yes, that is nice and I guess I'll be getting that. But actually I'm more interested in picking the best upgrades for a melee char. So many great choices and so few picks...

Demonbane? Though Marking could also help.
Or those Abolish X for crazy damage. Have they been fixed/narrowed down?
Late game Overwhelming Flames look REALLY nice.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

The archers just obliterate the squishies, and the stringy demodands that spawn in right on top of the backline don't help. And the rest of the encounter (3 gallus, 4 high level kineticists and 1 super strong alchemist) aren't really pushovers either. And everything has a lot of buffs, massive hp pools and high saves in every category. I suspect the correct strategy is to use some very metagamey mass dimension door to teleport all squishies up to the second level while the bruisers stay on the ground floor (I tried teleporting everyone, but the balconies are too narrow so you just trip over yourself). Even then, the archers just have high enough initative that I am guaranteed to lose one character before they get a chance to act.

Weird getting rid of some mob helped a lot.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I have not hit level 17, so I can't cast weird, and I don't think I have any scrolls for it. Is there an act 4 vendor who sells them?

I did consider "tsunami scroll spam" as a potentially viable tactic, but I haven't tried it yet, and im not sure I can consistently beat the DCs for the scrolls.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

I have not hit level 17, so I can't cast weird, and I don't think I have any scrolls for it. Is there an act 4 vendor who sells them?

I did consider "tsunami scroll spam" as a potentially viable tactic, but I haven't tried it yet, and im not sure I can consistently beat the DCs for the scrolls.

Well you will reach level 17 eventually can just leave it for later, I don't think there is a weird scroll anywhere in the game. Check the fleshmarket though.

volklore

Arcane

The Fleshmarket scroll magic vendor has tons of high level scrolls. Also I would advise to finish the main quest up until you get M6 before this fight. And maybe use this occasion to pick mythic improved initiative. Buff all your characters with cat's grace and so on. Nenio can keep archers and sometimes gallus depending on what difficulty you play on, with stormbolts. when they are stunned, have a ranged pick them off. Use quicken rods so nenio gets two casts per round. The kineticists aren't as dangerous as you'd think since they gather power every 2 round and skip it and they don't have that high range so they will usually target your beefy characters (hopefully with last stand). Main priority target is that alchemist, he needs to die first because he will tear your party apart, while nenio does her best to keep things controlled.
It's a really hard fight tbh, The hardest in the act by far, so leave it for last.

volklore

Arcane
The above discussions do not help with my autism in deciding what to play for my Trickster run. :argh:
Fuck it, I think I'll just do Sylvan Sorc since if fits and call it a day.
I am in the same boat. I've been going back and forth between a mobility 2 trickster (probably a dex slayer or rogue), and a trickery 2/persuasion 1 more supportive build.

The former seems like a really cool rogue style character that stacks movespeed and mobility skill and zips in and out of enemy threat range to make tons of AOOs (needs combat reflexes and really high mobility), but I can't remember how frequently are enemies outfitted with combat reflexes themselves (so they can make more than 1 aoo per round, so you can avoid more than one). One of the cool thing I want to try with that is a necklace you get in wintersun that lets the wearer make a free ranged AOO when an ally within 30feet hits an AOO himself : stick it on an archer while you zip around proccing tons of AOOs. Late game you get mobility 3 for mobility as AC (you can stack that shit really, really high). All those AOOs are at full bab, ignore flat footed immunities and proc sneak attack, reach is a non factor as well, the AOO happens regardless of reach when you avoid an enemy aoo.

The second one is purely skill based so it works on many classes (just need high persuasion and trickery and a thug dip). But I've been agonizing which class. I was probably thinking bard to keep with the supportive theme. This one gets free intimidate check at the start of combat that causes frighten, and Dispell checks made with trickery instead of CLs to strip down bosses of all magical defenses. I would go on and pick the rest of the persuasion feats to trigger more saves. Again not sure how persuasion 3 works, because the wording is unclear, but I have read that it triggers on any successful intimidate.

Delterius

Arcane
I would go on and pick the rest of the persuasion feats to trigger more saves. Again not sure how persuasion 3 works, because the wording is unclear, but I have read that it triggers on any successful intimidate.
From what I understand the problem is that the save for Persuasion 2 and 3 isn't based on your skills, rather its based on ranks and on top of that they can't coup de grace themselves (persuasion 3) if they are paralyzed (persuasion 2). I guess you should consider Sylvan Trickster as your hexes are pretty supportive and your trickery is that good.

volklore

Arcane
I know that persuasion 2 is based on rank (and idc much for that one since with thug dip I will be C/Cing already) so it's mostly a tax, but persuasion 3 is worded bizarrely'. I have read around and it seems people have the coup the grace trigger regardless of whether or not enemies make their persuasion 2 saves but I could not confirm. That said Persuasion 1 is really good, so I would pick that early and then test out per2 and per3 once I get M6/M7 and saving before to see.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Well you will reach level 17 eventually can just leave it for later, I don't think there is a weird scroll anywhere in the game. Check the fleshmarket though.
I am not sure I will reach level 17 before I run out of other content in act4. I basically only have the arena questline left.
The Fleshmarket scroll magic vendor has tons of high level scrolls
The fleshmarket has been purged :M
Main priority target is that alchemist
Agreed 100%, but he has iirc 600 hp, and seems to have some kind of triggered defensive ability that disarms you when you strike him in melee. So he's not easy to burst down. I did manage it in some attempts, but in the meantime the 4 archers had killed half my party, and eventually everyone died.

volklore

Arcane
You can also summon spam the archers on top of the balcony to keep them busy, same with the kineticists in the backroom. But yeah having good initiative for this stuff is kinda crucial. Also I do not think archers have true sight, so casting greater invis on anything you do not want to get gibbed prior to entering the house is a good plan as well. And also pre-buff FoM in case gallus use their mass stagger ability.

volklore

Arcane
Meh InEffect builds are the epitomy of boredom, potion archmage armor and monk dips on every character, they are good but it's super formulaic shit. Trickster is supposed to be fun.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh InEffect builds are the epitomy of boredom, potion archmage armor and monk dips on every character, they are good but it's super formulaic shit. Trickster is supposed to be fun.
I had some fun with an Electric Psychokineticist, who fought as a 1 level Traditional Monk with all the mini-bosses in Kenabres. Now I prefer a more conservative approach.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Also I do not think archers have true sight
They do.
You can also summon spam the archers on top of the balcony to keep them busy, same with the kineticists in the backroom
I have tried doing some summons, but they don't reliably attract aggro. The ai in this game can be very inconsistent with its preferred targets thought.

proxon

Educated
Also I do not think archers have true sight
They do.
You can also summon spam the archers on top of the balcony to keep them busy, same with the kineticists in the backroom
I have tried doing some summons, but they don't reliably attract aggro. The ai in this game can be very inconsistent with its preferred targets thought.
Try using Holy Word, you should be high enough level to blind them. As a lich i cleared almost all archers with Wail of Banshee, Wenduag and Aru with legendary proportions finished those that stayed alive.

Parabalus

Arcane
The above discussions do not help with my autism in deciding what to play for my Trickster run. :argh:
Fuck it, I think I'll just do Sylvan Sorc since if fits and call it a day.
I am in the same boat. I've been going back and forth between a mobility 2 trickster (probably a dex slayer or rogue), and a trickery 2/persuasion 1 more supportive build.

The former seems like a really cool rogue style character that stacks movespeed and mobility skill and zips in and out of enemy threat range to make tons of AOOs (needs combat reflexes and really high mobility), but I can't remember how frequently are enemies outfitted with combat reflexes themselves (so they can make more than 1 aoo per round, so you can avoid more than one). One of the cool thing I want to try with that is a necklace you get in wintersun that lets the wearer make a free ranged AOO when an ally within 30feet hits an AOO himself : stick it on an archer while you zip around proccing tons of AOOs. Late game you get mobility 3 for mobility as AC (you can stack that shit really, really high). All those AOOs are at full bab, ignore flat footed immunities and proc sneak attack, reach is a non factor as well, the AOO happens regardless of reach when you avoid an enemy aoo.

The second one is purely skill based so it works on many classes (just need high persuasion and trickery and a thug dip). But I've been agonizing which class. I was probably thinking bard to keep with the supportive theme. This one gets free intimidate check at the start of combat that causes frighten, and Dispell checks made with trickery instead of CLs to strip down bosses of all magical defenses. I would go on and pick the rest of the persuasion feats to trigger more saves. Again not sure how persuasion 3 works, because the wording is unclear, but I have read that it triggers on any successful intimidate.

Thug dip is a bit annoying since it insta triggers on combat start, so with it and Persuade 1 you will be chasing after enemies the whole game. Very effective though. It also (used to) trigger when your character isn't there, so when the plot splits your party, which made several battles much easier.

Rowdy also works well with the +crit modifiers and SA stacking for easy access to 2k crits, dunno if they fixed them cleaving across the whole screen with ICF.

There's also a way to get 24h buffs with UMD2, would try that if I were going Trickster again.

Ghulgothas

Arcane

Suggestion 1: commission more portraits. Weird how a character as narratively insignificant as your quartermaster has a portrait while others like Zacharius have to go without. And the FemAzata desperately needs a portrait that doesn't make her look like a stageplay extra.

Suggestion 2: replace all those consumable-harvesting spots on the overworld with actual zones and dungeons.

Suggestion 3: nourish the lategame mythics with something, anything more.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom