Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
I am about to start a play through. Is a Wizard PC good enough? I tried a Paladin a month or so, and my party kept getting wiped by the Prologue boss on Core Rules.
You got wiped on Core with a Paladin?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But raptor's attacks are relatively weak. Not sure they are that great - unless you can stack some serious bonuses on top of them.
A smilodon's should be more damaging, I think?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RkGdaBiwMP10YCgfl2eriVtg_EXoWLzM/edit#gid=304030618

Seems like Smilos do about 3 damage more per hit and have 10% higher chance of hitting if the Attack Bonus is relevant. But they only do 5 full bab attacks while raptors do 4 full bab attacks, 2 -5 atk attacks and 2 more -10 atk attacks. Considering they're all getting buffed with Brown Fur Bull's Strength, Animal Growth and Greater Magic Fang - the damage difference per hit is going to be trivial compared to the amount of attacks. Unless they're having trouble landing hits with -5 and -10 attacks that is.

A plus for the Smilos is that they're large - preventing the need to shrink riders.

Thank you for the information.
I'd say that yes, ACs have trouble hitting after the early levels.
Actually when they are not charging, they often can only get a single attack (and need pounce to have multiple attacks when charging - admittedly the raptor gets it). One of the reasons I rather like the horse as a mount. It may only get only 3 attacks, but they are pretty strong. Although the more important part of my AC choice is being able to mount enlarged.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I am about to start a play through. Is a Wizard PC good enough? I tried a Paladin a month or so, and my party kept getting wiped by the Prologue boss on Core Rules.
Mid and late-game, on Core and lower difficulties, it doesn't matter that much what you've chosen, or even if you've made some build errors. It's really just that long beginning you need to be "worried" about.

So, you should choose an Alchemist and come back here for an emotional support from the fellow RPGyists, once you find out that those 10 initial hours at Kenabres were a total drag. Also, if you forget or somehow ommit that one thing at the crucial moment, another 10 play hours would be the same :negative:

Haha. Ok, fun aside. I'd advise against taking a Paladin, Seelah's a decent one, and you get her right from the start. If need be, rather take a multiclass somewhere along Fighter, Cleric, Druid etc. to have an access to a real array of healing / support spells, not just a few. But then again, you'll be presented with just that later on... just saying. I don't know what you like to play.

There's always enough shooters, healers and thieves (with an exception of geting a proper healer a bit later, not from the very beginning). Mages are a tad trickier topic in this game, but you'll get enough of magic mayhem later, so don't worry. There's always another space for another Mage/Kinetic/Alchemist though, if that's your porte, spells are very useful and strong.

That being said, my advice is that you can't go wrong with a simple approach. A sturdier melee char such as Barbarian, Fighter, higher Constitution Maguse / Bloodrager. It's because the melee chars in WoTR are either fancy, or tricky or glass-cannons, so there's a chance you won't like any of them. That would leave Seelah the only one, and that is not enough. Also you might wanna add in the animal companion (multiclassing into Hunter / Druid / Ranger etc.), these can be pretty strong in Pathfinder, and are basically another decent fighter in the group.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
game by game Kingmaker was a lot better in general than Wrath
Honestly, I can't think of a single thing Kingmaker does better than Wrathfinder, except maybe exploration but I myself prefer a more restrictive, tighter design approach because it often makes for better pacing and plot structure. I like Serpent Isle way more than Black Gate for that reason for example. Wintersun does have the adventure-y "run into things, discover quests" thing going like BG1 and Kingmaker but let's not forget you're supposed to be leading a crusade here, not go out adventuring in the woods. I'd rather have the devs try a new approach than emulate the design of past titles and of which there are already a million other copycats. I definitely wouldn't call it decline at any rate.

Someone tell Owlcat that chinkos don't play their game.

plem

Learned

Wizard is the best class, especially if you go Azata

lata game with Favorable Magic, Zippy Magic and all buffs to DC and spell penetration had me instantly disabling most enemies in the first round of combat
add the Enchantment School aura, Ode to Miraculous Magic, cooking, item and feat bonuses to DC and my saving throws are nearly unmakable even for bosses

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks like they've fixed timeskip in chapter 4 in 1.2 so now it is only ~5-6 months to the special ending date, not a full year. Should greately diminish annoyance of skipping months of time with -100 morale and falling appart crusade after banner time runs out.

Humbaba

Arcane
Looks like they've fixed timeskip in chapter 4 in 1.2 so now it is only ~5-6 months to the special ending date, not a full year. Should greately diminish annoyance of skipping months of time with -100 morale and falling appart crusade after banner time runs out.
How did they do that? It depends entirely on when you leave for the Abyss when you eventually return to Drezen, so theoretically you could still be waiting a year or more. Or do you always return on a fixed date and all that talk about missing for 6 months is just flavor?

Daidre

Arcane
How did they do that? It depends entirely on when you leave for the Abyss when you eventually return to Drezen, so theoretically you could still be waiting a year or more. Or do you always return on a fixed date and all that talk about missing for 6 months is just flavor?
For me it jumped from 3/04 to 23/10. Looks like it is 6 months + 20 days that are skipped on the ship during the travel. So I have around 5 months until secret ending cutoff but it could be +- 2-3 months depending on amount of time wasted during chapters 1-3. Probably even possible to miss it entirely if you skip to much and won't have a time to do all chapter 5 exclusive research.

Humbaba

Arcane
For me it jumped from 3/04 to 23/10. Looks like it is 6 months + 20 days that are skipped on the ship during the travel. So I have around 5 months until secret ending cutoff but it could be +- 2-3 months depending on amount of time skipped during chapters 1-3. Probably even possible to miss it entirely if you skip to much and won't have a time to do all chapter 5 exclusive research.
Is there a cutoff point? Several guides state that the year is irrelevant. I returned in Pharast, the month before Gozran and only went to Threshold in Gozran of the following year and everything turned out fine.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've just found one of the most expensive weapons I've yet seen - Void's Kiss - upon the corpse of a mere Abyssal Huntress. Is this a bug or is it normal?

Daidre

Arcane
Is there a cutoff point? Several guides state that the year is irrelevant. I returned in Pharast, the month before Gozran and only went to Threshold in Gozran of the following year and everything turned out fine.
Technically, text from research card specifies the year
The study of the stargazers' observations made it possible to ascertain some interesting patterns in the "life" of the Worldwound — namely, discover a date when the connection between the two planes, Golarion and the Abyss, is the strongest and energy freely flows both ways through the rifts. The date is the third week of Gozran 4717.
Afaik year had not mattered previously, but who knows how it works now on 1.2, when Owlcat fixed both research card and timeskip.

Daidre

Arcane
Drezen's shops that were not updating in chapter 5 before now got a new items. For example, tavern:
8IgIe6y.png
Or smith:
sxXrMfu.png
Or temple:
gnZs9Wi.png
Looks like missing Scroll Scribing Kit 9 was just a collateral to the much bigger bug.

Last edited:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally a greatsword. They really neglect greatswords even on PF:K. Still it is not that great oversized and self damage?

Needs something unique or else all builds are just going to fauchard, falchion, greataxe.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Finally a greatsword. They really neglect greatswords even on PF:K. Still it is not that great oversized and self damage?

Needs something unique or else all builds are just going to fauchard, falchion, greataxe.
I've had the same feeling throughout most of the game :( But the Greatsword page at wiki says something different. So idk, maybe we've just missed those :(

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I've had the same feeling throughout most of the game :( But the Greatsword page at wiki says something different. So idk, maybe we've just missed those :(

Most of them are Kingmaker sowrds and allegedly supposed to drop "thanks" to Trickster feat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Oversized is a pretty decent mod, particularly for Vital Strike and SS Perfect Strike shenanigans, but the listed damage seems wrong: should be 3d6+5?

Daidre

Arcane
Oversized is a pretty decent mod, particularly for Vital Strike and SS Perfect Strike shenanigans, but the listed damage seems wrong: should be 3d6+5?
Yes, it seems bugged - 2d6 damage as normal two-hander but with -2 penalty to attack)

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3127189423509724279
Update 1.2.0h beta
Crusaders!

A patch 1.2.0h is now available for those who opted into the beta test.
MacOS players can opt into the beta as well now
, by switching into the beta branch in the game’s properties, however
you will need to download about 20Gb
and backup your saves just in case. Beta for macOS contains the tent fix for chapter 2.

The following issues have been fixed:

• Sometimes people in the Blackwing Library kept screaming even after being rescued - fixed;
  • The guy from crevice in Leper's Smile didn't stop crying after being saved sometimes - fixed;
  • Fixed the issue with Wardstone scene in the end of chapter 1;
  • Flowing Half-Plate didn't apply the stated bonuses - fixed;
  • Master Fencer's Sword applied incorrect bonus on damage rolls - fixed;
  • Twisted Temptation didn't work correctly - fixed;
  • Fixed the issue with incorrect calculations for saving throws in dialogues, cut-scenes and interactions;
  • Mutation Warrior now has the right number of charges for Spontaneous Healing discovery;
  • Fixed companions disappearing from the roster in some rare cases;
  • Fixed the dark tent issue on macOS;
  • Fixed the game freezing on macOS if there are issues with settings file;
  • Fixed the issues with Aeon's visuals.

Thank you for participating in the beta test!

Humbaba

Arcane

There's the fang of malice you can get rather early in chapter 3. It is the best greatsword overall and lasted me the rest of my playthrough. Technically the only +5 greatsword (besides now blood red cleaver) after landing just 2 hits against an enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom