Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Boy, don't roll a mage. Combat on core so far have been a pain since nobody can carry the weak mages and it seems all I get from the companions is some form of mage like class that dies so as soon a demon looks at them.

I have been surprised at how powerful melee classes are, I am level 4 on my slayer and using a glaive. I just hit for 40+ regularly already. The only good mage I have so far is woljif and that's because he also deals a lot of melee damage via sneak attack.

I am a mage hater in DND but it really seems like they are basically cripples here till level 7 at the very least.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyone past the beta chapters yet? I am really afraid I'll invest 40 hours into this game and hit a wall of bugs after.

I. Reached chapter 5 recently; it is just too hard. As for bugs, I found two "major" ones. The exit icon din't appeared in ch 2 and I had to reload thousands of times till it appeared and could't escape Arueshalae's dream(side quest) in ch 3.

I am a mage hater in DND but it really seems like they are basically cripples here till level 7 at the very least.

Yep. Till lv 7, magic users are awful in this game. They need at least animate dead and stoneskin to be decent.

FreeKaner

image.png

Like seriously, at level 4 I am doing 52 damage on crits when I roll a 1 on my base damage rolls right now.

I am not sure if it is just pathfinder ruleset because I don't remember casters being this bad early on kingmaker? Maybe it is because of the type of enemies you face. Rather than masses of humans you have to deal with high HP demons.

Grease is still extremely useful so you still need at least one caster but still.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't see most characters taking on spiderlady after the revelation (tm). She's obviously deranged and untrustworthy even if you are playing as an evil character. There has to be some kind of video game writer summit in which the problem of evil characters/companions is discussed and regulated because it's ridiculous.

She will remain completely loyal if you're worth it.
I'm sure of that, but the problem is that you don't know this unless you take her with you. Why would you do this, however? She
is a traitor, eats human flesh, lures children to be eaten or converted, admits to wanting to kill/backstab a life-long companion (Lann), and fights you at the boss battle.
Who would say to themselves "yeap, she's trustworthy alright" after that? Maybe an evil character can take her in chains and use magic/drugs or intimidation in order to control her, but that's a stupid decision imo. She hasn't even proven herself to be a very competent fighter either.

She only ate human flesh once, that really doesn't count. The rest she did to amass strength at all cost, something anybody sane trying to organize an army to fight literal hell spawn can relate to. The choice for her was obvious

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Lol, The Market Square only gives like 3-4K gold.

Fuck off game, everything besides scrolls is fucking expensive as shit, this is not enough and market is hard as hell.

FreeKaner

I don't see most characters taking on spiderlady after the revelation (tm). She's obviously deranged and untrustworthy even if you are playing as an evil character. There has to be some kind of video game writer summit in which the problem of evil characters/companions is discussed and regulated because it's ridiculous.

I'm sure of that, but the problem is that you don't know this unless you take her with you. Why would you do this, however? She
is a traitor, eats human flesh, lures children to be eaten or converted, admits to wanting to kill/backstab a life-long companion (Lann), and fights you at the boss battle.
Who would say to themselves "yeap, she's trustworthy alright" after that? Maybe an evil character can take her in chains and use magic/drugs or intimidation in order to control her, but that's a stupid decision imo. She hasn't even proven herself to be a very competent fighter either.

She didn't fight me and finished of the cult leader. Sounds useful to me.

Plus gameplay wise, she makes for a beast of a composite bow, javelin or throwing axes user.

Parabalus

Arcane

She only ate human flesh once, that really doesn't count. The rest she did to amass strength at all cost, something anybody sane trying to organize an army to fight literal hell spawn can relate to. The choice for her was obvious

You're also judging her from a human perspective, even though she's a mongrel.

Just an arrogant PC is enough to take her.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
image.png

Like seriously, at level 4 I am doing 52 damage on crits when I roll a 1 on my base damage rolls right now.

I am not sure if it is just pathfinder ruleset because I don't remember casters being this bad early on kingmaker? Maybe it is because of the type of enemies you face. Rather than masses of humans you have to deal with high HP demons.

Grease is still extremely useful so you still need at least one caster but still.
Casters in early kingmaker were trash if they weren’t using grease so no different here.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I am not sure if it is just pathfinder ruleset because I don't remember casters being this bad early on kingmaker?

Casters are always trash at low levels. Use casters to buff your martials on early levels. Enlarge person, haste, mirror image on himself(...) that is way better than throwing fireballs and scorching rays in low levels.

Also, look to "difficulty" related to each class. Wizards has the highest. Most martials, the lowest.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
image.png

It's a x3 crit weapon. They're normally limited crit range, so you won't crit often but when you do you'll hit hard.

Also if they've implemented crits right, it isn't supposed to multiply the base roll, but roll a new damage roll for each multiplier. I.e. 1d10+14 twice.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Has anyone found any barding for mounts yet?

First one I found is in the Grey Garrison.

2nd visit, behind the statue puzzle.
Meh, too late. It’s needed before that to get the mount to a reasonable AC (only tested with horse) that long without it cripples Cavalier.

Good to know it’s in the game at least.

FreeKaner

It's a x3 crit weapon. They're normally limited crit range, so you won't crit often but when you do you'll hit hard.

Also if they've implemented crits right, it isn't supposed to multiply the base roll, but roll a new damage roll for each multiplier. I.e. 1d10+14 twice.

I am aware of the gameplay mechanics, it just seems that having your MC be a caster except hybrid or healing ones is very much a burden to your party at this stage. Particularly because you don't really get any straight up melee damage dealer companion until later. You can always make wenduag into one, but it feels a bit of a waste. You can get woljif to cast buffs or grease while still dealing quite a lot of damage in melee for example.

I was intending to play a caster as well later, but this is fairly off putting to slog through probably the most difficult part of the game while having your MC be a burden to the party.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was intending to play a caster as well later, but this is fairly off putting to slog through probably the most difficult part of the game while having your MC be a burden to the party.

Most of this game is not low level aka dungeons & kobolds. So yes, your caster will be less useful than a martial guy till about end of ch 1. But guess what. Playing with no XP share and merging spellbooks, I was able to cast tier 8 magic in chapter 2(very end game but still), now in ch 5, I can create 10 undeads with create undead spell and if they hit all attacks in a turn, they can dish over 100 damage easily. This with a tier 6 spell. I can with negative eruption, inflict 260 damage(135 if the enemy pass the save) while heal all of my undeads and myself and I can cast it 10x per rest.

In general :

Low level(1~7) : Martial > Caster
Mid level(7~12) : Depends on resting. With a lot of rests, casters > martials, with rests being scarce, martials > caster.
High level(13+) : Caster > Martial.

Obviously it is a generation. If you are in a anti magic field, casters will be worthless. Against Nishruu, martials will always be better. In a highly social campaign, a intelligent low level illusionist can be pretty powerful. There are exceptions to that rule.

Last edited:

Mauman

Learned
I am aware of the gameplay mechanics, it just seems that having your MC be a caster except hybrid or healing ones is very much a burden to your party at this stage. Particularly because you don't really get any straight up melee damage dealer companion until later. You can always make wenduag into one, but it feels a bit of a waste. You can get woljif to cast buffs or grease while still dealing quite a lot of damage in melee for example.

Wenduag's main appeal is that she's perfectly set up to go into a lot of different builds. You could keep her as a pure fighter, or go ranger instead for a little magic and an animal companion. Or sacrifice a little of her combat ability for more magic and go hunter or inquisitor.

Or go slayer for that "fuck you" ranged sneak attack.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
She only ate human flesh once, that really doesn't count. The rest she did to amass strength at all cost
And Lann just pew-pew critted her in round 1. Many strength! Loser to the very end.

Well, if you like having a social-minded warrior for justice on your team, go for it, I'm sure it won't bite you in the ass later on. Just make sure he doesn't start coloring his hair

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
My main dude is a slayer with bite and shield bash.
I went ranger (demon slayer) with Wendy. I want that animal companion meat shield. Ranger fits her pretty well.
Sheequita (?) is a meat shield. I'm just leveling her as paladin. I will replace her with Regill, but I've heard he kind of sucks. I hope there's a way to turn him into something tank-ish.
I'm still not sure how to use Camellia, she seems like jack-of-all-trades now. Supposedly she's really good, I have to read something about building shamans.
It's still early game so Wolftwink is the best caster. He has grease and he can stab.
Dandy is a heal bitch. Very straightforward character.

Jinn

Arcane
Pretty impressed with the Gray Garrison dungeon so far. Surprised I haven't seen more people talking about it. Having companion NPCs join you based on what you did prior to it is pretty great. You even have to find certain locations within the dungeon itself for them to join up with you~

If you decided to have the mongrels go back in the hole in the Central Square map

Beyond that, it's a solid dungeon crawl with some very nice encounters, on Core Difficulty anyway.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So vast majority of the dialogue is voiced now? Maybe the only advice/lesson, beside not doing direct sequel, they could've taken from Sawyer and PoE 2 was not to do fully voiced and they ignore that one. I wonder how big chunk of the budget they spent on VA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom