Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Released

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It is a bug fest. Some bugs are even carried over from KM from day 1 till now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First hour of the game:
  • Get three new party members to join my primal druid kitsune MC "Tom" and his faithful mastodon companion "Don"
    • Female black paladin (what is the obsession with black paladins anyway? Diablo, Pillars of Eternity, etc.)
    • Female spider fighter
    • Female half-elf, forget the class
    • Technically not a part member but is journeying with my party female human something-or-other
      • Says she can't wait to get back to her "wife"
        • Soon find out wife is a half-orc that towers over her (thus triggering a fetish I didn't know I had)
Anyway, seems more stable than Kingmaker was at first but is pretty braindead so far.
That's smart of Owlcat Games.
You know games journos will only play a few hours in. This will make them look over the bugs and still give a good score.

This isn't any different from Kingmaker where your starting companions are Linzi, Amiri, Valerie, Jaethal, and the token dwarf. Owlcat loves the ladies.

Ol'man

Educated
It is a bug fest. Some bugs are even carried over from KM from day 1 till now.

Yes, the bar is pretty low for way less buggy, considering you needed to edit save files to finish KM on release.

But I'm trying to be an optimist here.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Female black paladin (what is the obsession with black paladins anyway? Diablo, Pillars of Eternity, etc.)

Black people have a +2 bonus to Charisma when using all-white clothing, it stands to reason that that would carry over to all-white armor as well.

Imagine playing this without using the 2000 portraits pack from nexus.

Those are almost invariably awful. You have all these somber almost watercolor-like classic fantasy portraits for your companions and then these packs are littered with gritty/edgy stuff and spellcasters with a thousand strobing lights. I guess they work if you wanna roleplay someone extra special like you're an anime protagonist.

On another note, there are only 3 people's opinions who really matter on this game, and they're all in the Codex: there's monk autist (forgot his name), necromancer autist (also can't recall) and there's full blown autist (desiderus or something). Can I get some first impressions, gents?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This game has some math wonders:
upload_2021-9-3_23-49-31.png

upload_2021-9-3_23-49-58.png

upload_2021-9-3_23-50-15.png

Gargaune

Magister
Much as I adored Kingmaker, might wait a bit this time around. Got a bit on my plate right now, and it can't hurt to let the hotfix parade take its course.

Nos

Novice
First hour of the game:
  • Get three new party members to join my primal druid kitsune MC "Tom" and his faithful mastodon companion "Don"
    • Female black paladin (what is the obsession with black paladins anyway? Diablo, Pillars of Eternity, etc.)
    • Female spider fighter
    • Technically not a part member but is journeying with my party female human something-or-other
        • Soon find out wife is a half-orc that towers over her (thus triggering a fetish I didn't know I had)
Anyway, seems more stable than Kingmaker was at first but is pretty braindead so far.

Only gets worse, you get a weirdo elf beggar-child (saved from racist human soldiers!), an annoying whinny little thief, a spergy female encyclopedia writer...it just gets worse and worse. The writing in Kingmaker was OK, in Wrath it's like Larian at its worst, annoying attempts at humor and plenty lore dumps, plus the voice acting sucks...going to finish part 1 and see if it gets any better, otherwise done with
this piece of crap...:d1p:

cw8

Cipher
Edit: Oooof, 3.5 out of 5 on GOG. Even Black Geyser got 4/5, and it's no Pillars of Eternity. Let's upvote it, guyse!

I never bother with GOG ratings. Most "reviewers" / ranters there can't review a game properly if their lives depended on it.

dacencora

First hour of the game:
    • Female spider fighter
That's smart of Owlcat Games.
You know games journos will only play a few hours in. This will make them look over the bugs and still give a good score.

This isn't any different from Kingmaker where your starting companions are Linzi, Amiri, Valerie, Jaethal, and the token dwarf. Owlcat loves the ladies.
Somehow, though, the lack of “BLOOD FOR GORUM” every five seconds makes it a lot more enjoyable. The black Paladin is much less annoying than Amiri so far.

Marte1980

Novice
I'm not far into the game (just past the sword), but so far the writing has been horrible, the companions are boring and bland (aside from the hilarious percentage of females, which is hilariously stupid) and the story has a very unispired, manicheistic, good guys vs bad guys and you're the chosen one type of plot (for now, at least). So far, it's a much worse game than the previous one.

Last edited:

Glad

Literate
I'm not far into the game (just past the sword), but so far the writing has been horrible, the companions are boring and bland (aside from the hilarious percentage of females, which is hilariously stupid) and the story has a very unispired, manicheistic, good guys vs bad guys and you're the chosen one type of plot (for now, at least). So far, it's a much worse game than the previous one.
Did you like the writing in Kingmaker?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I don't see why this game wouldn't be a great success on this forum, other than the usual political fuckery about being outraged by lesbians, but to me it has been the most tedious nonsense - although I do think that at this point I'm entirely done with this genre. The narration is bollocks, entirely unengaging and you already know that the mythic paths are going to have marginal effects on the quest trees, but then good narration seems to happen every 10 years in crpgs and the point of a game is its systems - and they are what you'd expect, essentially a shit, bloated and overly simple tactical game where you need to pick up "loot" to strengthen the gambler effect and create meticulous "builds" which are necessary not so much to win the game, but rather to make it less tedious. All these options seem wonderfully complex but they really are mechanically uninspired and most of them don't enter in actual strategical calculations, they are just "modes of expression", as if I'd pick the fucking feudal option in Master of Orion 2 to imagine myself an uppity aristocrat. Lots of trash encounters and so on, plus walls of text that could be extracted from those fantasy novels that are produced en-masse. Only played it because I backed it cheap back then, when I still had a taste for this shit ; now I only play strategy games and wargames, pretty much. Strategy gaming has the merit of somehow not being populated by a constant stream of deliriously aggressive and bitter incel discourses, so there's that - maybe because it actually suceeds as a medium.

elverkongen

Learned
Hit my first infinite loading screen after encountering half orc lesbian. Stuck on 69%, not even kidding.

Guess I'll try again in a year when the EE comes out.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Completely forgot I backed this. Just got my keys but will wait for the inevitable "ultimate director's cut legendary we-swear-it's-finished-now edition". Took a week off from work to play when kingmaker came out and the bugs completely ruined the game.
I used the rest of the week to read the Witcher novels, so the vacation was still enjoyable.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

You guys sound like fell from moon fro real. It all was obvious like year ago with this game.

Unwanted

CancerUnlimited

Unwanted
I hated Kingmaker but so far I'm liking this one. I might actually buy it.

Pro tip: Disable voice audio and use your

Marte1980

Novice
Did you like the writing in Kingmaker?
It was certainly much better than in this game.
Even just the first few attempts at humor from a couple of companions generated enough cringe to make me nauseous!

Shadenuat

Arcane
already know that the mythic paths are going to have marginal effects on the quest trees
Suffice to say, Lich actually resurrects NPC-ex-previous-enemies as new companions and can even get some dialogue out of them. Most things hint on different endings for mythics too.
Arcanum had much less with its speak with dead, for example.

Dr Schultz

Augur
All these options seem wonderfully complex but they really are mechanically uninspired and most of them don't enter in actual strategical calculations, they are just "modes of expression"

To my understanding, this is precisely what people search for in Pathfinder, or in D&D for that matter. When WotC tried to prioritize tactical combat over power playing (4ed) lost a good chunk of its audience.

The game is simply faithful to the source material.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
already know that the mythic paths are going to have marginal effects on the quest trees
Suffice to say, Lich actually resurrects NPC-ex-previous-enemies as new companions and can even get some dialogue out of them. Most things hint on different endings for mythics too.
Arcanum had much less with its speak with dead, for example.
Why would you want to talk to any of these characters after you've finally gotten rid of them?

jac8awol

Arbiter
I liked the first dungeon. Then you get into the war-torn city and it feels incredibly janky and the dialogue writing was done by 12yr olds:
"Oh hey dude are you a cultist?"
"Yeah bro you should come join."
"Sweet ok, I'm coming over."
"Loool crusaders we got ya boi, you guys suck."
(paraphrasing)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom