Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

It's easy to forget that there was some uncertainty surrounding Pathfinder: Kingmaker when it was released three years ago. Who could have known that this Russian studio that appeared out nowhere would turn out to be among the best RPG developers of modern times? With today's release of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, things are very different. It's clearly our most obvious candidate for RPG Codex Game of the Year, but beyond that, it's also quite likely the most ambitiously epic-scale isometric RPG ever made. Owlcat have created a game for the ages and I sincerely hope they will be rewarded for it. Here's their release announcement:

Greetings, crusaders!

It’s been quite a ride! Since February 4th, 2020, when our Kickstarter campaign started, you’ve been helping us to make Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous a better game. First, by unlocking more and more stretch goals with your pledges, then by participating in alpha and beta testing, and finally — by strengthening the Pathfinder CRPG community on social media, discord, forums, Reddit, and everywhere else! Just like in our games, the hero relies on their party, so did we rely on you, and we want to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts. We couldn’t have done this without you all!

Please welcome Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous!

Now we know you can’t wait to play it, so we won’t take any more of your time. Those of you who already got your keys and preloaded the game will be able to start playing as soon as you finish downloading the day one patch. Don’t forget to also check your Digital Download tab for the additional keys to activate your in-game bonus items and other digital rewards!

If you haven’t had time to get your key for the game, please log into your account on our portal, go to the Digital Download tab, choose the platform where you will be playing (Steam, GOG, or Epic Game Store), copy your key and activate it in the selected store. After that, you can start downloading it.

If you encounter any issues with your pledge, please email us at team@owlcatgames.com, and we will help!

If you experience issues with launching the game, please visit our support portal.

If you get lost in the world of Golarion, you can ask for directions in our discord.

And of course, we will be happy to hear from you on our social media - Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, VK, and YouTube.

Happy crusading!
As I mentioned yesterday, Wrath of the Righteous has reviewed quite well. The fact that there are launch day reviews at all indicates that the game is in much better shape than Kingmaker was on launch. Unfortunately, there are very few of them and none from any of the "first tier" websites. Hopefully more will appear later on.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is available on Steam and GOG for $50. If you were a Kickstarter backer, don't forget to grab your bonus items from the backer portal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Outmind

Augur
Oh come on, the kingdom sim part was meh and most of the characters weren't memorable, but I'd hardly call the first game a train wreck. Especially after they patched things out and added turn-based mode.

Although I will admit that the ui wasn't all that good and their choice of color was off. I hope they learned from their mistakes and implemented a dark mode option.

Last edited:

Glad

Literate
I loved the first one, but got to beat it just few months ago, I hope this one is in a better shape than Kingmaker at release.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
" Who could have known that this Russian studio that appeared out nowhere would turn out to be among the best RPG developers of modern times?"

I mean, really. Who writes this shit?

Oh, the "I post news" guy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So when is the first DLC scheduled for release. I take it last patch in oh a year to 1.5 years? Then maybe...

Glad

Literate
They plan to release console versions by March next year, so probably not before that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Getting good reviews by 'professionals' is a negative not a positive. Don't use them to brag about the game.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Great tip about the Nexus Mod portraits.

Just got Black Geyser and Disco Elysium, so I have a bit of a backlog.

Looks like this release is super buggy. Better hurry up and wait for a patched release!

Edit: Oooof, 3.5 out of 5 on GOG. Even Black Geyser got 4/5, and it's no Pillars of Eternity. Let's upvote it, guyse!

Last edited:

elverkongen

Learned
First hour of the game:
  • Get three new party members to join my primal druid kitsune MC "Tom" and his faithful mastodon companion "Don"
    • Female black paladin (what is the obsession with black paladins anyway? Diablo, Pillars of Eternity, etc.)
    • Female spider fighter
    • Female half-elf, forget the class
    • Technically not a part member but is journeying with my party female human something-or-other
      • Says she can't wait to get back to her "wife"
        • Soon find out wife is a half-orc that towers over her (thus triggering a fetish I didn't know I had)
Anyway, seems more stable than Kingmaker was at first but is pretty braindead so far.

Dr Schultz

Augur
This time it doesn't seem the game will need a whole year of patches before being enjoyable. Also the built in turn-based mode and the option to skip the crusade part are welcome additions...

Having said that, I'll wait a couple of months before buying it for good measure. You can never know...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Expecting a shitty sim minigame + mandatory cringe companions, just like the first game. These two things were enough to shit on the whole experience. Basically needed the Bag of Tricks mod and I still couldn't finish the game cause of big bugs in the (automated) MQ line.

Tyrr

Liturgist
First hour of the game:
  • Get three new party members to join my primal druid kitsune MC "Tom" and his faithful mastodon companion "Don"
    • Female black paladin (what is the obsession with black paladins anyway? Diablo, Pillars of Eternity, etc.)
    • Female spider fighter
    • Female half-elf, forget the class
    • Technically not a part member but is journeying with my party female human something-or-other
      • Says she can't wait to get back to her "wife"
        • Soon find out wife is a half-orc that towers over her (thus triggering a fetish I didn't know I had)
Anyway, seems more stable than Kingmaker was at first but is pretty braindead so far.
That's smart of Owlcat Games.
You know games journos will only play a few hours in. This will make them look over the bugs and still give a good score.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom