Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

https://www.pathologic-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/pathologic_2?as=1649904300

EDIT: Kickstarter this way:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

==================

Those of you who found Pathologic's English translation incomprehensible, rejoice! Ice-Pick Lodge seem to be in the process of filming a pitch video for a Pathologic Remake KS campaign:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/27/pathologic-remake/

This might not ultimately happen anyway, and there certainly isn’t any hint of a date by which it would all happen, but devs Ice Pick Lodge have declared their plans for a Pathologic ‘resuscitation’ on VK (a sort of Russian Facebook equivalent), and appear to be in the process of making a pitch video.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Repressed Homosexual
Worst translation ever, not by how inaccurate and erroneous it was, but more in the way that it was incredibly messed up in ways that really made your head hurt.

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, that could be great. I've always liked IcePick's games. Their gameplay is usually questionable at best, but they do make really interesting and unique stuff.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The original translation was so interesting in how wrong it was. The bizarre grammar made every character seem like they were hiding something big from you...of course, it was like this for characters who had nothing to hide as well.

A run button would be a nice addition. I'm certainly not advocating Fast Travel, but being able to move faster than Briskly Walking when avoiding plague clouds and molotov throwing bandits would be nice.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I played Pathologic when it game out on GOG. The translation fluctuation between really proper english to incomprehensible nonsense. I didn't understand what was happening, but I liked what the game had going for it otherwise. Hopefully this is a thing.

iqzulk

Augur
If I remember correct, Dybowski told in one of the interviews that both "Pathologic Remake" and "The Frost" budgets are estimated to be ~$2mil. And I'm kinda afraid they wouldn't be able to collect that amount of money via Kickstarter (think Ed Annunziata with "The Big Blue" and Eternal Darkness guys with "Shadow of the Eternals", although the latter ones were absolute PR nightmare due to late Silicon Knights' history).

Also, something like half a year ago I suggested to Dybowsky (via their forum) the it would kinda make sense for IPL to team up with Robert Briscoe (especially since he wasn't doing anything particularly constructive since Dear Esther Remake's release, and even made a statement in one of the interview regarding being open to suggestions - and especially considering the recognition of his name after Dear Esther's release and after his levels in Mirror's Edge) specifically for this remake - and this message even got through to him (after a bit of pestering) - but he replied that despite my suggestion being interesting and unusual, deep down he somehow just didn't believe such a scheme would be possible.

Also2, they were at this stalemate "What do we do next: Pathologic Remake or The Frost? What do we do next: Pathologic Remake or The Frost?! What do we do next: Pathologic Remake or The Frost?!!" for, like, a year or year-and-a-half at the very least. Looks like they finally decided to play it safe (which is frankly, for me, a bit of a pity, even despite their recent announcement that The Frost would be a 2D game, should they have pursued it).

Name, from what I managed to gather from their comments on forums and in interviews:
1) In any case it would be largely decided by contributors and fans. IPL are currently really not sure how radically they want (or rather have the moral right) to change/butcher the game, it's more like "We want to turn it to that dream game we weren't able to make it back then" with a lot of spraying possibilities, than a concrete plan with a number of exactly defined steps.
2) Almost certainly - graphics. Hence - the aforementioned budget.
3) Almost certainly - a completely redone combat system.
4) There is a probability of the epidemic-related mechanics ending up reworked (overall disease spread, maybe the player himself spreading the infection, etc.)
5) Almost certainly - radically altered/rewritten Devotress'/Impostress' storyline + patched up rough edges in other two storylines.
6) There is a probability of Inquisitor's and General's storylines being returned back to the game (they were part of the initial plan during the development of the game, but were later cut out).

Also, the composer from the original game (Andriesh Gandrabur) is not working with them anymore, so either there won't be any remixed/better_quality music at all, or the remixing would be done by Mushroomer (shudders).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Robert Briscoe (especially since he wasn't doing anything particularly constructive since Dear Esther Remake's release, and even made a statement in one of the interview regarding being open to suggestions - and especially considering the recognition of his name after Dear Esther's release and after his levels in Mirror's Edge) specifically for this remake - and this message even got through to him (after a bit of pestering) - but he replied that despite my suggestion being interesting and unusual, deep down he somehow just didn't believe such a scheme would be possible.
Man,getting someone that worked on Dear Esther on board could easily have the opposite PR effect of what you are expecting.:lol:

iqzulk

Augur
Man,getting someone that worked on Dear Esther on board could easily have the opposite PR effect of what you are expecting.:lol:
He did Dear Esther's (Remake) graphics only (BTW, did you actually see that game?). He doesn't have any direct relation to the pretentious inanity which was DE's "story" (that was all Dan Pinchback's doing).

Besides, at this moment IPL don't have any talented 3D modellers at all. They have Meethos, who did all the artwork on all of their previous games, but he is an inherently 2D artist. There is nothing wrong with that, except that Pathologic is inherently as 3D (immershun) as it gets. So they need someone who is really good with modelling 3D environments (AND translating those 2D sketches to 3D world) in any case. Especially since they are aiming at the "contemporary-grade graphics".

And before you start:
1) yes, I really do like the rough low-poly look of Pathologic, I'm a minority though, and IPL said that they would almost certainly make a graphical lift-up for the remake regardless
2) The Void specifically did look pretty nice - I'd give it that. But, a) I don't think the 3D modellers from that game are working with them today (IPL is, like, 5 to 7 people as of this moment); b) frankly, I personally don't think it was anything even close (design/modelling-wise) to either Storm Drains/The Shard levels from Mirror's Edge or any of Dear Esther's (Remake) levels (caves and the last level specifically).

Longshanks

Augur
Never thought I'd be supporting a remake, but this one makes a lot of sense; Pathologic is a game that deserves better than its initial release. Make it happen.

zwanzig_zwoelf

09fKPawP_8U.jpg

:bounce:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
A proper English translation? SOLD! Everything else can be the same, just give me proper English. It's the only thing holding me back from playing the game and I WANT to play it but I need to understand it first!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just want to see some examples of an English translation for this. If well done, I will definitely back this.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, Knock-Knock, aside from some misspellings and minor grammatical issues was plenty readable. So I don't think they'd make such a clusterfuck translation like before this time.

Also, the composer from the original game (Andriesh Gandrabur) is not working with them anymore, so either there won't be any remixed/better_quality music at all, or the remixing would be done by Mushroomer (shudders).

Okay...if they can't find someone who can match the original music, I'd honestly be fine if they used the original tracks. The music of Pathologic is undeniably fantastic and atmospheric, it would be hard to keep the same flow of it with a remix.

Castanova

Prophet
I couldn't care less about the translation. The original English translation was part of its considerable charm. Not sure the remake would be very useful except for bug fixes... like the one that affects my copy where the game's internal clock literally stops working after around 6 in-game days. Incredibly bizarre. I had to finish the playthrough by manually advancing the clock using the console. I kind of doubt they'll improve the atmosphere with updated graphics and such.

oscar

Arcane
I quite liked the unusual translation. Increased the feeling you were in a foreign and surreal land.

Bug fixes would be nice.

DefJam101

Arcane
As excited as I am everyone should know going into this that it will probably either be the most amazing game ever, or the most disappointing game ever

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm inclined to agree that a retranslation might ruin a large part of the atmosphere that made the original game so phenomenal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom