Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The ending isn't really the Climax, it's more of an epilogue imo.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i didn't know such niche exist
zffr6zf0u4z51.png

fpmu75hht7061.jpg
4702y5hht7061.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
Rumours are circulating that Ice Pick Lodge is in deep trouble. Dybowski went insane, drove most of the core team away and then hired some 20 yrs old girl as a new creative lead.

prengle

Savant
Rumours are circulating that Ice Pick Lodge is in deep trouble. Dybowski went insane, drove most of the core team away and then hired some 20 yrs old girl as a new creative lead.
I think I heard about this one like 4 months ago on VK and I wasn't even entirely sure what happened, contain your doomposterening sir

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I think I heard about this one like 4 months ago on VK and I wasn't even entirely sure what happened, contain your doomposterening sir

Also I don't think that he "drove most of the core team away", the music guy fell apart years ago, and the design guy/gal I believe also didn't work on new Pathologic at all. Narrative girl of P2, Alphyna quit year ago and never was a part of the core team anyway. Tech team is still onboard. So while Dybowski probably went insane, I'm not sure what was that about the team leaving.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Just played the game. Full critique here (focused mostly on gameplay):

https://rosodudemods.wordpress.com/2020/12/22/pathologic-2-a-promise-fulfilled/

The short of it is that it's fantastic, one of the most innovative games I've ever played. I think a lot of the game's own fans have done it a tremendous disservice by saying it's "deliberately unenjoyable" and "anti-fun" and "basically an interactive story rather than a game", because the gameplay on its own merits is deep and highly engaging, and dovetails so intelligently with the narrative, which is also quite captivating. Beyond the more general stuff I say in the critique, here are some unique experiences I had with the game:
  • Day 1: Waste a bunch of time running around and gathering supplies until I started to notice my reputation dropping. Several districts started to hate me by the time I headed to Lara's house. Suddenly I'm running for my life as average citizens turn into vigilantes out for blood. The story setup feeds into the reputation system to create an emergent navigation/stamina management puzzle as I evaded mob justice. Such a cool way to organically introduce the game's sytems.
  • Day 3: Walk out at 5AM to the sight of some dickhead bandit chasing down a woman, get into a clumsy shiv fight with the bastard and win. Fuck around trading for food and tying up some loose ends. Finally scrounge the key and the orders from Kain I need to go back to my dad's old house, after hearing there was weird "soot" rising from it last night. Oh fuck the whole district is infected. Fuck it, we're still going to the prefect's house. Find that plague clouds are clustering into goddamn Pac-Man ghosts and also realize for the first time that the loot menu is REAL TIME. Loot the house for what I can carry, end up using all of my immunity boosters, get out SECONDS before running out of immunity completely and getting infected.
  • Day 3 (cont'd): Check out what's going on with the Soul and a half kids. Yep, someone's plagued the fuck up. Go back to my lair for the first time and learn how to make tinctures by talking to my old childhood toy as a personification of my Father, where my own dialogue choices teach me as the player how shit works as if recalling it from a long time ago. Go outside, get confronted by the bull seller outside my lair (again? I don't know if I ended up reloading a save when I first talked to him or what), buy the stupid bull. Go back, seemingly manage to cure the kid a little bit despite stabbing in the dark with tinctures, run off to talk with Rubin and get there with 2 minutes of in-game time before he teleports away. Get majorly spooked by all the Tragedians pointing to the Town Hall.
  • Day 4: Notice the plague "loop" across districts with burned-out homes. Sudenly realize this game is more complex and deep than I thought. Nearly die of both hunger and fatigue at Lara's doorstep. What a lovely woman she is.
  • Day 5: The Fellow Traveler is selling candy wrappers. Predicting this will pay off somehow, I buy up every one of them I can.
  • Day 6: Alexander Saburov tells me his wife is having some disturbing conversations with herself in the annex. She tells me that there's some awful being that's visiting her. Uh huh. Wait, what was that sound? Turn around, feel a shiver down my entire spine as the Rat Prophet appears before me. JESUS CHRIST AHHHH.
  • Day 6 (cont'd): Murky's friend wants to meet. I don't like the sound of this at all. Notice that a bunch of the nodes in the thought map all converge on something relating to the plague and Murky's friend. Dear God. A terrible feeling of dread washes over me as I make my way to the meeting spot. Her friend isn't... the plague, somehow? Talk to Murky, she tells me to walk around the rocks to make her friend show up. Clara's here -- is it her? I knew she seemed off. Hmm, but she denies it and scolds me for being so gullible. Walk around the rock, wait for a while... realize that Murky's not there anymore, it's the Changeling... not Clara? She's definitely different. And she knows the truth as I do. Murky's friend is the plague. And I can take it on my shoulders to protect her. I agree, because these damned writers have made me actually care about her. Then, out of nowhere, the plague starts WHISPERING IN MY GODDAMN EAR. By this point I am freaking the fuck out and rushing home like I'm being chased by a pack of wolves.
  • Day 7: GREAT, now I have the fucking plague. Score a Shmowder at the Dead Item Shop. But... what if someone needs it? I keep the damn thing in my inventory as my health continues to tick down. This SUCKS. Let Notkin die because I just can't be assed to save anyone else when I'm so fucked myself, and what if I need that Shmowder to save best girl Lara? Odongh at the docks tell me that it now costs double because of the weight on my soul, which completely throws my gamer optimization plans to hoard fingernails until the lategame in the dumpster.
  • Day 8: Life with the plague is unbearable. I'm popping pills and wrapping myself in bandages constantly just to stay alive. I'm constantly at the brink of death, whether from infection, hunger, or exhaustion. But hey, at least I finally manage to get my inventory size upgraded... after reloading a save because I realized I dropped it in front of the store clerk before running back to my hideout... and died a couple times getting back to where I was. Get trolled by the devs as I wait for the hospital orderlies to get back from their lunch break while dodging plague clouds and succumbing to health loss. Just awesome.
  • Day 9: Another Shmowder at the Dead Item Shop. FUCK YES. Cure myself, get some much-needed rest, wake up bright and early to take on the world. Head straight to the old Steppe village to investigate this special blood I've been hearing about. Go to the Abattoir, die a couple times, get through the segment. Confused, jump into the pit before binding and speaking with the heart. Do it all again. Talk to the town's heart and... realize that the Abattoir skips the rest of the day. Reload my save, do a bunch of stuff in town first, suddenly it's all a breeze now that I'm cured and the soldiers are there to help with bandits. Go back to the Abattoir, do it two more times to get more blood for the panacea after accidentally drinking one more than I needed.
  • Day 10: Get my first gun from Lara after slowly stocking up 20 bullets the whole game only to... never fire a shot. Find some more Shmowders in caches and cure some of my bound. Fuck you, plague.
  • Day 11: Follow the breadcrumbs to the ending choice. Make a bunch of cures only to... not use a single one. Where are the kids? Didn't have time to visit the Polyhedron, so beats me. Muck around a bit, choose to shell the Polyhedron, game ends, woohoo.
The ending was a big letdown for me. I was expecting (and hoping for) another day of grueling survival where I try to scrounge up what I can to cure the remaining kids but instead I get the town restored to its idyllic state from Day 1. Nobody's home, but this just makes it feel unfinished rather than particularly desolate or bleak to me. I'm both miffed that the game's turned into an actual walking simulator where I have to just run around talking to everyone, and disappointed by the fact that everyone's so chipper about the future despite how badly I messed up. I let Notkin die on Day 7, guys! Please stop telling me I did a good job. I suck! I don't deserve this good-ish ending! I should have to protect my bound if I want the good ending...

Well, that's the story of the first game in a long while to make me actually care about its narrative, thanks to how tightly it's integrated with the gameplay. But the gameplay is also genuinely FUN. Looting infected houses, shanking dudes in back alleys, living off of scraps and trading water bottles to hobos for much needed bandages is family friendly FUN, and don't let nobody tell you different.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I think a lot of the game's own fans have done it a tremendous disservice by saying it's "deliberately unenjoyable" and "anti-fun" and "basically an interactive story rather than a game"

this sounds retarded, you can say this about Disco Elysium (and still be retarded btw), but about Pathologic 2? no way

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom