Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathologic Classic HD - a Pathologic remaster (not the remake)

praetor

Arcane
fuck yes! with the improved translation and somewhat enhanced graphics, i don't even care about the remake that much (well, i do cause now i'm really curious what they'll remake and how different it'll be... and i backed it anyway so whatever)

Starwars

Arcane
And a new kickstarter update regarding this version: https://www.kickstarter.com/activity?ref=nav

Of note:

"Change is inevitable. During the Remake production we’ve found ourselves in quite a conundrum: ideally, we need to reevaluate the old means of expression, make sure that they work, and invent new ones when they don’t. And the “means of expression” aren’t just the graphics or soundtrack, but rather the whole bulk of expressive techniques, from non-core plotlines and character mannerisms to the puns they make; from survival mechanics to soundscape switching solutions.

Change is inevitable—and it is inevitably controversial. What may seem obsolete or redundant to us, can also be dear and important for someone else (and vice versa). Taking “the Pathologic you know and love” away from you with the Remake is the last thing we want to do, but we also need the freedom to make new creative choices without looking back at every step."

:love:

Ivan

Arcane
how long is this?

which other game would you compare this to? Thief? it's not a walking sim, is it?

how long is this?

which other game would you compare this to? Thief? it's not a walking sim, is it?

It is the walkingest of walking sims.

That's not to say that its an indie visual novel in FPS thing. It's a kind of survival horror/RPG. Very good atmosphere and story (though the dialog in the original translation went from bearably bad to nearly incomprehensible).

AngryKobold

Arcane
Wish it had an improved travel system as well. Be it map- based transition, auto walking or whatever. Don't care if it's popamole, the all walking in the game drove me nuts.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
HOLY SHIT I JUST FINISHED READING THE PLAGUE BY CAMUS AND WAS ITCHING TO REPLAY PATHOLOGIC THEN THIS GOT ANNOUNCED!!!!

Lucky

Arcane
Two games for the price of one kickstarter. Ice-Pick Lodge never disappoints.

Some more details in the full update:
Classic Ice-Picks! (Not Really)

At the end of October, we are planning to release the original Pathologic on Steam, GOG and Humble Store.

Not the Remake. The original game. It will, however, feature a number of enhancements, such as improved graphics and visual effects; cloud saves (and other modern-ish stuff it was deprived of previously); and a completely new translation produced by an in-house team from scratch.

Now may be a good moment to reiterate that this is not the remake, which is still in the works, but rather a thing that we heartily call “Pathologic Classic HD: Now Comprehensible”.

Now, we know it may be a bit confusing—

— WAIT WHAT

Look. There used to be only one Pathologic—the buggy 2005 game some of you fell in love with. It was a very important game for us, so now we’re making a new version—a reimagining that will, while remaining faithful to the core ideas of the original, explore them further and look for new methods of representation. New ways to convey our points. Yet the original game, however imperfect, is still very dear to us, so we’ve decided to preserve it in its best possible state—by fixing the major issues and re-releasing it.

99f833ba9cfe1f586d44ad6d5d8661db_original.jpg

— Why…?

Change is inevitable. During the Remake production we’ve found ourselves in quite a conundrum: ideally, we need to reevaluate the old means of expression, make sure that they work, and invent new ones when they don’t. And the “means of expression” aren’t just the graphics or soundtrack, but rather the whole bulk of expressive techniques, from non-core plotlines and character mannerisms to the puns they make; from survival mechanics to soundscape switching solutions.

Change is inevitable—and it is inevitably controversial. What may seem obsolete or redundant to us, can also be dear and important for someone else (and vice versa). Taking “the Pathologic you know and love” away from you with the Remake is the last thing we want to do, but we also need the freedom to make new creative choices without looking back at every step.

It was bugging us, of course. Everyone has their own idea of a perfect Pathologic game; its general plot came to Nikolay in a dream, so do we really have the right to alter it? On the other hand, it feels counter-productive to restrict ourselves to ye goode olde creative solutions simply because they’re there. To complicate the matters even further, it’s not like we don’t like them. We do honestly believe that the old Pathologic was a great game.

Thus a solution was conceived: to make the original game accessible by fixing the major issues that were disallowing that (compatibility bugs, visual glitches—and the translation, of course). This way, the original Pathologic will always be available to you even if you come to disagree with the changes made in the Remake. And if you haven’t played it at all, you’ll have a chance to get to know the game that has defined us as a studio. We believe this to be a fair compromise.

Conceived, arranged for, and executed: the story of some unfortunate revolutionary’s life—and also of Pathologic Classic HD.

Which now arrives on Steam—legible for the first time ever.

d9bf88d17a34179ec1609e61712dc298_original.jpg

— So, a new translation, huh?

Yes; the new translation was actually another major reason for this re-release.

See, we’ve promised the old Pathologic as a reward for some of our Kickstarter backers, and it was bugging us, too. We are still not entirely sure as to how our English-speaking players have managed to enjoy the game at all; sometimes the dialogue of the original release made no sense. We hesitated to offer this mangled beast as a reward to anyone, but after we did, it quickly became apparent that we cannot in good conscience simply provide them with the game as it was.

So we’ve endeavoured to at least make it readable—with the kind assistance from General Arcade and Gambitious. The translation effort was in-house, but we’re positive it wouldn’t have become possible without their guidance. And it was actually General Arcade that did the heavy visuals-updating lifting (thus winning our eternal gratitude).

— Why should I buy it at all?

Actually, if you’re a backer of an OLD AND NEW or higher tier, you don’t have to; obviously it’s the new, Pathologic Classic HD version that you’ll be provided with as a reward as soon as it is released (i.e. at the end of October).

If you aren’t, here are some more incentives:

• the original Pathologic is on Steam for the first time ever;
  • it’s the most polished version of the game in existence;
  • while the models remain the same, it’s way more visually pleasing due to Cool Effects and Better Textures;
  • it supports modern screen resolutions (up to 1920x1200);
  • more quality-of-life improvements.
There are also some perks available to the non-Russian-speaking gamers:

• you can finally find out what the hell happened there;
  • like seriously, Maria used to say that there “is a ‘bog’ in ‘Utopia’” completely disregarding the fact that no, there isn’t;
  • we mean it, some plotlines are obscure enough even with proper translation;
  • you’ll also get to see restored content.
c490d63cf29edbbd6129240d4e5aca07_original.jpg

— More content? Care to elaborate?

Sure. Certain sections of the original texts were cut from the game when it was first released in English to make the translation into other languages less cumbersome. Now they’re back in.

— This is all very sweet, but that’s not what I backed you for. It’s not what I wanted you to do. Where’s my Pathologic Remake, goddammit?

The Pathologic Classic HD release was made possible with the kind help of Gambitious and external investments. The visual upgrades were mostly done by General Arcade. As for the new translation, the localization team remains on standby for now, so it’s not like they were diverting their forces and attention from the main effort; the re-release also laid the groundwork for the future work process. All in all, we don’t feel that the Pathologic Classic HD release has impeded the development of the Remake in any significant way.

And it does feel nice to finally do the justice to our most ambitious game to date by helping it achieve its Final Form. You’ll have a chance to see it soon—and we do sincerely hope you like it.

P. S. It’s not the Remake though. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

Planned release is at the end of October. Improved textures and effects, plus it'll support resolutions up to 1920x1200. Some "quality-of-life" improvements, as well. The English translation includes content that was originally cut from the Russian version to make translating the game easier.

Wish it had an improved travel system as well. Be it map- based transition, auto walking or whatever. Don't care if it's popamole, the all walking in the game drove me nuts.

From the comments: "...There is no gameplay changes in game, since we wanted to preserve it "as is" for this release."
Seems like that's a no.

how long is this?

It depends, but you'll want to take your time with it, plus there's multiple characters to try out. Let's say 40-60 hours for a first playthrough.

It's the Thief of survival/adventure/walking/weirdness games.

Perkel

Arcane
how long is this?

There are 3 characters and each of those characters have different playtroughs.
Each playtrough i think is something like 10-20 hours but due to game gameplay for some people it may take longer or even way longer.

So kind of 50h to 70h.

As for comparisons. Imo Planescape Torment mixed with something completely new (i think).

Basically you start as one of 2(3 if you unlock her by playing 2 earlier characters) characters and each character has different start and reasons why he is in that town. One of big wings in town dies and you are to investigate it. Soon plague hits the town and everything is going to shit. Your job is to find out what the hell is going on with that dude who died and that plague.

Most of gameplay is walking in town either trying to find people who are important and talk to them and doing jobs for them (time sensitive !!!!!) or generally trying to stay alive.

Second part is what makes the game. Game has day system in which no matter what you do clock is ticking so you can meet no one, important people may die and so on because you weren't at right place at right time.

Game is heavy in C&C and delivers unexpected things. Like for example you are to meet dude but you find him dead due to plague. You would be able to talk him if you would go to him day earlier or two.

As game progresses conditions rapidly are worsening with each day, army blockades town and due to this price of everything just goes up and up and up. Soon buying something to eat will be a problem and you will find yourself killing people for their valuables just to stay alive.

Also worth mentioning are weird elements. This town isn't normal town. IT is kind of town from some weird spin on 30' or 40' with fantastical elements. For example in town there is huge polyhydron (or whatever its name was) which is completely ruled by children (which are everywhere btw) and no one seems to notice it. Monsters who are kind of 4th wall breaking parts of play not a game and so on. There are many more things like that.

So on one hand you are trying to solve mystery that seems logical but on other hand there are those fantastical elements that never interact directly with you and your actions but are there in background constantly hinting that maybe this case isn't logical, maybe something else is happening and it does it in way that does not compromise narrative with bullshit.

Reading above you would think it wouldn't work mashed up together but it fucking works.

Pathologic problems are mostly due to glitches, poor UI, poor combat, buggines and translation. Otherwise it is one of the best games i have every played. This, The Void (another game from them) and PST are in my top 3 story based games.

Hopefully more codexers will play it and it will claim its rightfull place on codex boards and in rpgcodex topxx lists.

I wonder about remake. Hopefully they will redo some of the mechanics so we will have proper vision

Ovg

Cipher
Oh yes. Pathologic in russian made for a great game. I started with the doctor, thinking "I will bring science to the dark folks of this little town" and ended up counting bullets as I traded them for plague cures. Great game. Nothing like it.

Gambler

Augur
Fast travel would ruin Pathologic. It's a game where time and space play an essential role (which is extremely rare, if you think about it). Being on the streets, noticing small details of the environment, looking at the architecture and nature of the town, witnessing all those small scenes as they play out and seeing how the town changes when the plague spreads - all of these are important parts of the game.

It's a bit frustrating, yes, but that is by design. Even getting lost and asking for directions is a part of it.

alphyna

Ice-Pick Lodge
Developer
I hope this doesn't look intrusive—it's doesn't seem like you had any questions, but, well, if you do, you may want to know that one of the Ice-Picks is a long-time Codex lurker. And I'm willing to talk, too!

(I'm the person in charge of translation, btw; since it's basically the main feature of the HD release, I'm consequently the person to direct your anger towards.)

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Also bought! Can't wait to try this out for the first time. It looks fascinating!

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I'm consequently the person to direct your anger towards

I'm angry, you stole my avatar :argh:

On a serious (semi-offtopic) note. When The Void appeared on GOG, I wrote an email to you guys about that torrent that was floating around a few years ago, with lots of cool TV extra materials (soundtrack etc.), and how cool would it be to give that stuff to GOG, so they could add it to their website. You said it was a good idea, any developments on that?

alphyna

Ice-Pick Lodge
Developer
I'm angry, you stole my avatar :argh:

On a serious (semi-offtopic) note. When The Void appeared on GOG, I wrote an email to you guys about that torrent that was floating around a few years ago, with lots of cool TV extra materials (soundtrack etc.), and how cool would it be to give that stuff to GOG, so they could add it to their website. You said it was a good idea, any developments on that?
Well... I had to use it, for I am but a finger of the hand of the Powers That Be. Is there no way to upload a self-made avatar here?

Hey, I actually remember that message (unless there were several people suggesting the same idea)! I also remember relaying the idea to the guys and them agreeing that it would be nice. And then... erm... things happened. Gotta remind them of this though!

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
OK, thanks!

No custom avatars here (for us peasants, anyway), but if you're a developer and request it, I'm sure they will allow it.

Also, when you'll have any news about how the Pathologic Classic HD upgrade will work on GOG (for those who have already bought the original version), please share.

Nice news, I will finally get around to playing this it seems. After all the hype this better be as good as Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare.

Aenra

Am still butthurt about their never reaching the Lucid Dreaming stretch goal. Whatever acid they serve up there, those boys have sure had their fill. Would have been gloriously 'disturbed' i'm sure :negative:
Bat country or no, will be happy to play this again. Just no clue when, gotta fit D:OS EE in first

Perkel

Arcane
Am still butthurt about their never reaching the Lucid Dreaming stretch goal. Whatever acid they serve up there, those boys have sure had their fill. Would have been gloriously 'disturbed' i'm sure :negative:
Bat country or no, will be happy to play this again. Just no clue when, gotta fit D:OS EE in first

IF it sells maybe EE HD+ edition :takemymoney:

alphyna

Ice-Pick Lodge
Developer
Well, the campaign is still ongoing (as in anyone's free to throw more bucks in our general direction via Pathologic Backer Portal) and it's only 62% away, so, y'know, everything happens.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I hope this doesn't look intrusive—it's doesn't seem like you had any questions, but, well, if you do, you may want to know that one of the Ice-Picks is a long-time Codex lurker. And I'm willing to talk, too!

(I'm the person in charge of translation, btw; since it's basically the main feature of the HD release, I'm consequently the person to direct your anger towards.)

Oh shit, you're the guy who's going to (hopefully) make one of my favorite games have a readable translation.

Glad to see this happening, though I am looking forward to the remake. The original English translation was an interesting case study, it was nonsense but the long-winded dialogues made every character seem evasive and more mysterious than they were. But then you get later on and the translation makes huge mistakes that can point you in the wrong direction.

Welcome to the Codex! Looking forward to playing the HD edition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom