Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PAX East Interviews w/ Obsidian-Aterdux-Telepath Tactics

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shannow If mindx2's going to ask about Obsidian doing a turn-based game, he needs to phrase his question in the right way that will go past the "Sure, maybe, someday" platitudes they might be tempted to reply with.

What I would add to that question is "Do you think that with all these other Kickstarter RPGs doing turn-based, Obsidian might now be locked into the RTwP Infinity Engine niche? You're almost the only ones doing this sort of game these days, in a sort of sparsely inhabited middle ground between turn-based and full-on action RPGs. People are expecting you to make these games now."

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, I sort of expected mindx2 to formulate the questions himself and just take the gist from us. I'm not a native speaker after all, and I'm fully aware my expression is often clunky and awkward. Also, I'm lazy and tend to put several thoughts into one sentence.

And it might be harsh, but if they don't want to give clear answers, they won't give clear answers. I doubt that phrasing can help much with that. And if a question should be evaded, when everyone knows what the codex would like to hear... well, for me that's all the answer I need ;)

Tigranes

Arcane
Shannow If mindx2's going to ask about Obsidian doing a turn-based game, he needs to phrase his question in the right way that will go past the "Sure, maybe, someday" platitudes they might be tempted to reply with.

What I would add to that question is "Do you think that with all these other Kickstarter RPGs doing turn-based, Obsidian might now be locked into the RTwP Infinity Engine niche? You're almost the only ones doing this sort of game these days, in a sort of sparsely inhabited middle ground between turn-based and full-on action RPGs. People are expecting you to make these games now."

Nah. Here, you don't even need to go ask Feargus: "no, look at AP, look at DS3, look at SP, we've always made a lot of different kinds of games, certainly for POE we wanted to bring back an IE experience and that included RTwP but I don't think that forces us to make only one type of game." The whole 'people are expecting' is plain not true and it spoonfeeds them the PR answer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nah. Here, you don't even need to go ask Feargus: "no, look at AP, look at DS3, look at SP, we've always made a lot of different kinds of games, certainly for POE we wanted to bring back an IE experience and that included RTwP but I don't think that forces us to make only one type of game." The whole 'people are expecting' is plain not true and it spoonfeeds them the PR answer.

I don't think that's as true when you're talking about Kickstarter. It's not about what people will buy when it's released, it's about what they'll fund. To get the big bucks, it's not enough just to be good - you have to be something that people are missing. And if everybody else is doing turn-based while Obsidian turns out to pretty much own the RTwP niche, well, that might be hard for them to vacate.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Now this is going strongly off topic and I'm sorry for that:
If 5 cover-shooters per year can co-exist, 1-2 isometric TB games per year can too. Nobody is doing anything like ToEE gameplay-wise. Which I think would be the inspiration to start from, when making a Pathfinder game.
The only sophisticated system is Div:OS. But that is quite different in the "story and feel" side of things from a game that one would expect from OE. Torment isn't out yet and I haven't really followed it, but from what I gather the system is rather simplistic and there is comparatively little combat. Of Seven Dragon Saga we still know nothing of gameplay. Currently it still strongly smells of vapourware to me :( And I'm not sure if isometric TB was confirmed, or if it'll take the shape of a blobber or something else.
If OE started development now, they'd finish in ~2 years and be the ~third to fourth game of that "type" in 4 years... ("Type" being used very roughly.)
RTwP on the other hand, is something that "can" find publisher money. As SCL (and Aarklash Legacy) proves. Should this not be a fluke, and more publishers decide to fund such games, then that nice can be "filled" quite quickly.

Neither side is convincing to me. Thinking in your categories is what made me hate industry executives. It's what lead to consolitis, awesome-buttons and dumbing down.

OE can make as many shitty mmos for Russian mobsters as they want. If it pays their bills. But with those bills paid, and with (kickstarter) funding, I'd like them to make games that they'd want to make. And hopefully that is not some mmo trash, but something more in vein with what "the codex" would like. And personally I'm interested in whether that might be a TB isometric game. (To me, ideally in the vein of ToEE, Div:OS or JA2.) (Given all I know about them I don't expect it.)

Back on Topic:
mindx2 Sword Coast Legends http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...wn-rtwp-d-d-5e-rpg-with-optional-co-op.96970/
The thread also contains most concerns. (Basically I'm the only one not expecting only the worst and willing to say so ;) )
I don't expect them to become any clearer than they have on the contentious issues. But that's no reason not to try ;)
I'm interested if they'll be available on non-DRM venues like GoG (at some stage).
They've talked some about the DM mode that allows changing stuff on the fly. Will there also be an editor to make community content/mods? If so, how powerful/flexible can we expect it to be? Can additional assests be added and existing rules be changed like in NWN? Or will it just be intended to make adventures like in Neverwinter Online (because anything more might hurt DLC sales)?
It's clear that they'll sell additional content (races and classes, and perhaps spells, feats, items, properties, tile sets) as DLC. Is that the type of content they've planned? What scope is planned for the DLCs? Do they plan to sell in "Horse Armor"-sized chunks (meaning one race or class at a time), or will it more resemble the Neverwinters in expansion where each expansion added a new campaign and races/classes/etc.
Would they describe their OC more as combat focussed hack&slash or more as story-driven? Will it be more linear, or will it have the "HUB"-setup of Bioware games? How about branching story-lines and C&C? Will stats and skills influence dialogue options? Will they aim for a dark, gritty, morally grey tone, that's all the rage these days, or will it be more light-hearted, pehaps even comic?
Will there be companions to pick up in the OC? Will you (nonetheless) be allowed to make the whole party yourself?

Can't think of anything else where the answer wouldn't be obvious...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Thought of another question for the n-space guys:
Will SCL feature death? Or will party members only be knocked unconcious as long as not the whole party wipes, like in DA and NWN2.
(Would actually also interest me for PE. I guess at least the beta testers know. Can single party members die? Are there resurrection spells/mechanics?)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We actually have an entire pile of questions about SCL prepared in case we ever interview them, which mindx2 can use. I think it's pretty comprehensive.

(Would actually also interest me for PE. I guess at least the beta testers know. Can single party members die? Are there resurrection spells/mechanics?)

PE has permadeath with no resurrection if you run out of health (health, not endurance/stamina). Thought that was pretty well-known

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We actually have an entire pile of questions about SCL prepared in case we ever interview them, which mindx2 can use. I think it's pretty comprehensive.

PE has permadeath with no resurrection if you run out of health (health, not endurance/stamina). Thought that was pretty well-known

Not even sure I'll be able to talk to this guy... they're not at PAX in an "official" capacity so getting to him might not be easy.....? The other three developers I know I'll be talking to.

Weasel
Not even sure I'll be able to talk to this guy... they're not at PAX in an "official" capacity so getting to him might not be easy.....? The other three developers I know I'll be talking to.

Yes, in that link I posted he clarified that their official presence (and big reveal apparently) is at GDC but he offered to meet anyone interested... he's just the community manager I think, with most of the team going to GDC instead.

But if you notice anyone in a SCL shirt it might be worth harassing him :cool:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
mindx2 are you able to ask how many areas they were able to give a paint over to in Pillars of Eternity (try and get an estimated number), and in the future would they like to investigate in ways to make it easier to do with their complex layered maps.

For background reference, current Lead Environment Artist Sean Dunny said they weren't able to paint over much due to restrictions of their 3D lighting system and not having the budget/time to do it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mindx2 are you able to ask how many areas they were able to give a paint over to in Pillars of Eternity (try and get an estimated number), and in the future would they like to investigate in ways to make it easier to do with their complex layered maps.

For background reference, current Lead Environment Artist Sean Dunny said they weren't able to paint over much due to restrictions of their 3D lighting system and not having the budget/time to do it.
Could you expand on that one? I just want to make sure I know what the heck I'm talking/asking about... :oops:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Sure

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.ph...ilters[forums][searchInKey]=&userMode=content

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70...look-better-than-poe/?view=findpost&p=1567609

Sean Dunny said:
Not every area has had a paintover pass. Because of the sheer number of areas in the game and the very, very small art team, we were not able to paint over every area. Our goal was to make areas look as good as they could in the base render under the assumption that we would not be able to paint over them and then we made sort of executive decisions in terms of which areas we thought would benefit most from a paintover. Most of the areas that have been seen have either not had a pass or only had very minor tweaks.

Because of the real-time lighting situation, we actually can be fairly limited in what we can do with a paintover. My favorite IE games, visually, are absolutely IWD and IWD2. Those games still look great and I reference their artwork frequently. A lot of that work, however, was done in a paintover and they were capable of painting things that we cannot. We need to be aware of height and normal information in addition to just the render itself. This can make editing these scenes after the fact even more difficult and time-consuming than it would be otherwise.

All of us enjoy working in 2d and it's fun to get a chance to do a pass on areas, but we just don't have the time and manpower to devote to giving every area a paintover.

Sensuki

Arcane
Well my main three are

Externalizing scene files for modding - if you need more info, I can provide it
Paintover stuff

Another one I could elaborate a bit more on - it would be nice to know what they were expecting from the backer beta, and what they actually got out of it - like did they expect the feedback or bug support that they got? What would they like to have done better (regarding the BB) and would they consider doing something similar for future perhaps even non-crowd funded titles - like the expansion.

Mustawd

For telepath tactics:

-How do turn-based games like TT fit in in the RPG/Tactical/Strategy space? Do you see most prospective customers as RPG enthusiasts, a combo of strategy, etc.?

-Is the return of turn based titles in recent years just nostalgia? Or do you see a sustained and robust market for this type of gameplay?

(Being an amateur artist I have a couple art based questions)

-Can you describe your interaction with your artists? Do you provide art direction? Specific instructions? Or do you start vague and iterate to get the right look?

-Can you describe what went into your decision to choose 2D vs 3D? Was it aesthetic? Technical aspects? Funding aspects?

Sensuki

Arcane
mindx2 Unity went free today, so that could mean that Obsidian will have more leeway as to what they can do regarding modding.

unity personal has the full features

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...d_with_upgrades_fullfeatured_free_version.php

Could you ask them whether the news that Unity is now free will have any impact on what they can open up to modders? (I imagine if anything, the largest thing holding them back will be Feargus wanting to hold onto their internally developed tools for Unity).

Weasel
So how did it go mindx2? I know you said you were putting together a wall of text on PoE, but did you get to meet any other interesting devs?

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Aha! So this is where those questions came from. (I'm actually kinda curious to see the interview myself, as I don't remember half of what I gave for the answers.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom