Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PAY FOR TORRENTED GAMES AT GOG.COM

Cassidy

Arcane
If you're doing something illegal, why are you going to settle through legal means something you could hire a Lithuanian Hitman for?

Zeus

Cipher
Aikanaro said:
So, I don't really care, but this is still a dick move by GoG. Taking other people's work and claiming it as your own - then selling it - is a shitty thing to do.

It's also probably illegal, though I guess they're pretty safe in counting on the scene group not suing them over it...

It's a bit like a bad drug deal. You can't call the police if someone steals your crack.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I only have three games on GOG for which I paid a total of nine bucks. There is, however, a few yokels on their forums that think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and pat themselves on the back for buying dozens of titles that I lost interest in playing a decade ago.

Norfleet

Zeus said:
Yeah, GOG's greatest assets are convenience and legality. It's why people buy little $5 packages of blackberries at the supermarket when they could just pull over on the side of the road and pick 'em. Technically, it's illegal. Plus, it's a pain in the ass for most people.
That, and most people are suckers who wouldn't have the slightest idea where to look for such berries and how to distinguish them from the 900 other varieties of berries that will kill you if you eat them, touch them, or so much as look at them.

Zeus

Cipher
Norfleet said:
Zeus said:
Yeah, GOG's greatest assets are convenience and legality. It's why people buy little $5 packages of blackberries at the supermarket when they could just pull over on the side of the road and pick 'em. Technically, it's illegal. Plus, it's a pain in the ass for most people.
That, and most people are suckers who wouldn't have the slightest idea where to look for such berries and how to distinguish them from the 900 other varieties of berries that will kill you if you eat them, touch them, or so much as look at them.

Umm.... I dunno, blackberries are pretty distinctive. People pick wild blackberries all the time where I live, but I've never read about someone who got sick or died eating something they thought was a blackberry.

White and yellow, kill a fellow.
Purple and blue, good for you.
Red... could be good, could be dead.

Nightshade berries look blackish purple, but they don't look anything at all like a blackberry (which look more like a purple raspberry than a big round blueberry). I suppose it depends on whatever freaky killer berries you have in your homeland. O_o

WalterKinde

Scholar
Only games i have gotten from GOG were one or two of the free ones because i picked up most of the games they sell either second hand, home of the underdogs (when it was still around) , when they were free (like Freespace) or in the game bargin bins.

If this is what they have been doing for all the more recent games like prince of persia etc i doubt they will come clean and from a consumer POV i dont see it as a big deal its still better than steam.
As has been pointed out its a bit of a chore to now hunt these gems down, make sure they arent fakes, they arent riddled with trojans/spyware and get them working on xp/vista/windows 7, look at it as paying the 5-10 dollars for that.

Destroid

Arcane
The reason not to eat wild blackberries is people like to poison the shit out of them.

God blackberries are hard to get rid of.

Zeus

Cipher
Destroid said:
The reason not to eat wild blackberries is people like to poison the shit out of them.

God blackberries are hard to get rid of.

It's because they want you to make pie, Destroid. They want you to make pieeeeeee.

Lumpy

Arcane
Zeus said:
Aikanaro said:
So, I don't really care, but this is still a dick move by GoG. Taking other people's work and claiming it as your own - then selling it - is a shitty thing to do.

It's also probably illegal, though I guess they're pretty safe in counting on the scene group not suing them over it...

It's a bit like a bad drug deal. You can't call the police if someone steals your crack.
:lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Lumpy said:
Zeus said:
Aikanaro said:

:lol:

roll-a-die

Magister
In certain states/counties there are kinds of "No Road Side Foraging" laws. That state that you can't do things like pick berries, chop down trees or plant vegetables on the side of the road. They are there to prevent the state/county from being liable if say a tree crushes your leg or those blue berries turn out to be nightshade.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
roll-a-die said:
In certain states/counties there are kinds of "No Road Side Foraging" laws. That state that you can't do things like pick berries, chop down trees or plant vegetables on the side of the road. They are there to prevent the state/county from being liable if say a tree crushes your leg or those blue berries turn out to be nightshade.
Holy shit, if someone eats something he picked up in the forest and it seems wasn't actually supposed to eat, suddenly the state is responsible? What, do they also put "warning: proximity to water may lead to drowning" signs to prevent being sued if a kid jumps into a river and dies?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elwro said:
roll-a-die said:
Holy shit, if someone eats something he picked up in the forest and it seems wasn't actually supposed to eat, suddenly the state is responsible? What, do they also put "warning: proximity to water may lead to drowning" signs to prevent being sued if a kid jumps into a river and dies?

Not in the forest, more like on the roadside in a city I guess.

But yeah, it's still incredibly retarded. "This road belongs to the state and the berries that grow at the roadside poisoned me! I'll sue the state for not removing them!"
Lulz.

reaven

Educated
Can someone explain to me what its exactly the problem here? I find this stupid.

Zeus

Cipher
Did GOG claim that they personally removed the DRM? Or just that they sell a DRM-free version of the game?

I ask because during the Ring of Elven Greed scandal (Impulse was selling a broken game for over a year, due to a glitch in the way the DRM was removed), it was revealed that Brad Wardell & Gang didn't remove the DRM themselves; it was patched by the current content owner, Enlight 3, who provided Impulse with bugged executables and assured them it was A-OK.

Maybe that's the case here.

Big Nose George

Educated
reaven said:
Can someone explain to me what its exactly the problem here? I find this stupid.

The problem is an ethical one. And you are stupid as you sig shows.

I ask because during the Ring of Elven Greed scandal (Impulse was selling a broken game for over a year, due to a glitch in the way the DRM was removed), it was revealed that Brad Wardell & Gang didn't remove the DRM themselves; it was patched by the current content owner, Enlight 3, who provided Impulse with bugged executables and assured them it was A-OK.

Maybe that's the case here.

No. The case is a stolen Fairlight crack. Packaged in an Troika/Activision game and sold for 6 bucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom