Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PAY FOR TORRENTED GAMES AT GOG.COM

The original 1.0.7.4 PE file is protected with Securom (just download the 1.0.7.4 US/UK patch and install it anywhere (you don't need the game) and see for yourself). It's about 300Kb larger in size and parts of it are actually encoded.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
You see, I never got why people buy digital version of old games. You're not getting the original box, the printed manual etc. Arcanums great manual alone is a good reason to search for a used copy somewhere on ebay.

Also, in most cases the now defunct developers won't see a cent of what you pay for the game.

Why not just torrent it then?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
You see, I never got why people buy digital version of old games. You're not getting the original box, the printed manual etc. Arcanums great manual alone is a good reason to search for a used copy somewhere on ebay.

Also, in most cases the now defunct developers won't see a cent of what you pay for the game.

Why not just torrent it then?

I've never bought a title off GoG, but there are a few circumstances that I would consider it:

- People reporting more stable performance on modern OSs, with a title I've had specific trouble with.*
- A title I never got around to buying is made available, from a developer that I like, who still exist to get the money, and the title isn't so old that I feel it should really be free, by now.
- It's cheaper than getting it off eBay or Amazon. This may sound rare, but till recently there was a gap which GoG could easily have filled with PST. Before the recent reissue (at least here in the UK) it was usually about £40 on Amazon or Ebay (that's a tenner more than most new titles). Had GoG put it up for a fiver, I'd have bought it.

*I don't see this happening soon. Usually GoG efforts to stabilise a game's performance on modern OSs seems to come from already existing fan patches, that I could get without giving money to GoG.

relootz

Scholar
Is this were the first GOG did this i would be amazed, however it isnt and i am not.

Mortmal

Arcane
I think if you are too lazy to configure dosbox and download games from torrent or not even torrent but abandoware sites then you deserves to pay .They get money from lazy people like any other business its the service you are paying for, not the game.

Hory

Erudite
But Greedy Old Gangsters offers you protection from torrent viruses and thingies!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Oh God this is priceless.

After all the comments I've read that GOG is just abandonware and games with cracks with a few googled wallpapers and shit* - it turns out it is just that.

Fucking hell. And I actually bought shit from them.

* Okay I kind of knew that already but now there's evidence!
_thumb_100x100.jpg

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, if it helps, you're helping whoever runs the site make a living. :lol: When you torrent the pirates win.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
treave said:
Well, if it helps, you're helping whoever runs the site make a living. :lol: When you torrent the pirates win.
Pirates deserve to win. Because of things like this.

Mattresses

Scholar
Mortmal said:
I think if you are too lazy to configure dosbox and download games from torrent or not even torrent but abandoware sites then you deserves to pay .They get money from lazy people like any other business its the service you are paying for, not the game.

a service oldgames.sk used to offer for free before being required to remove every game GOG 'rescues'.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Buying old games gives out a signal that there is a market for something else than AAA titles.

Big Nose George

Educated
Erm, can someone upload another GoG exe from some protected game?
Check gamecopyworld if it has a crack and create additional lulz.

Retail Empire Earth 2 for example has Securom 5.
GoG version should be DRM free, right? ^^

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Zed said:
treave said:
Pirates deserve to win. Because of things like this.

That's self-defeating. When the pirates win you don't get any more games. Imagine if everyone pirated Fallout 3 and Bethesda went bankrupt like Interplay did and you didn't get Fallout 4.

mondblut

Arcane
asper said:
Buying old games gives out a signal that there is a market for something else than AAA titles.

:roll: EA, Atari, Ubisoft, Activision et al must have been awfully thick at receiving those signals :smug:

Curiously, about a year ago when I snapped against all this making you pay for abandonware downloads "rescuing lost games" bullshit hype, Magog had a plenty of defendants. Not anymore.

ecliptic

Liturgist
treave said:
That's self-defeating. When the pirates win you don't get any more games. Imagine if everyone pirated Fallout 3 and Bethesda went bankrupt like Interplay did and you didn't get Fallout 4.

I'd count that as a victory.

spekkio

Arcane
Yup, Hivemind's opinion on GoG changed 180 deg. from:
OMG no-DRM, how awsome, oldies FTW, take that Steam!
to:
Motherfucking poles are stealing ma abandonware! Greedy fucks, using scene cracks without proper cred.
How very surprising. :smug:

relootz

Scholar
I dont understand the problem of using a crack. You buy the game to show your support for the makers of the game and you get a complete working no drm version.

Who cares if it uses a crack to achieve that?

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Yup, Hivemind's opinion on GoG changed 180 deg.

It follows a general attitude change towards piracy here, over the years.

Not that the Codex has ever been a bastion of moral fortitude, but I do remember some furrowed brows once over someone admitting to pirating Arcanum (it's people like you what killed Troika etc.). This was in no way universal but it was still a far cry from the current, everyone should pirate everything, and anyone who doesn't is a sucker official Codex position on the subject*.

*With more kudos going to those who pirate in the most morally objectional fashion
"This old lady made a game to pay for her angina operation. She only needed 4 bucks to live, and I pirated it anyway. I didn't even want the game, but thinking of her shrivelled heart finally beating it's last, because of me, game me a massive scorching boner edgy edgy edgy edgy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom