Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PAY FOR TORRENTED GAMES AT GOG.COM

Noddy

Augur
I don't think GOG people understand the difference between a developer and a publisher.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Official response on GOG forums:
Hey folks... As some of you already know, GOG does not always get access to game masters. In this respect, we regularly have to resort various approaches to ensure we can deliver a DRM-free game that works on modern operating systems. We have always conducted these programming works in accordance with the relevant rights owners. Every game we sell has been approved by the latter.
Keep the drama going! :wink:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Basically they copied work of someone other, removed any info about who made that program, and added it into SW they sold. In addition that program is necessary for using the sold SW.

If this isn't illegal, then you would need to work hard to find something that is. Torrents and massive noncommercial piracy is completely irelevant in comparison to this.

reaven said:
If they release a non legally modified exe they are exposed to get his work copied by other looking to get the same result (other cracker or in this case gog) and they cant do anything.
GoG did nothing wrong as they copied something that is not protected by any means. Would have been more ethical that they mentioned the source of exe? Yeah sure, but I guess they though that nobody would give a fuck, but there was Droog with thirst for drama...

You fail to understand the problem. The problem isn't they redistributed crack without permission of authors of crack. According to traditions and customs in SW industry, cracks are supposed to be copied freely, only theirs sale is strictly forbidden. (Mafia can ring, drag you out, and beat the crap out of you level of forbidden.)

They removed information from the program, and pretended it's theirs work. That's a felony. If they explicitly stated they are using crack for running the program, and thanked the group that created the crack I doubt they would have problem with that. However it would create interesting law problem. Politicians and lawyers didn't have actual experience, and made laws which actually allows to sue and jail anyone.

starfish said:
Anybody know if there's any truth to this? I've used quite a few cracks in my time, some of which did get detected as trojans by AVG/Norton. I also have both a software and hardware firewall; no supposed trojan I've ever installed has ever tried to phone home (from what I can tell).
They would integrate with your browser, which means they would use your browser permissions. Firewall will not be able find them.

Also cracks might like to use memory patching, which looks like a virus attack. In addition people who are able to break securom protection, are able to use the same methodology to hide malicious code.

The simplest way how to activate a hidden malicious code is to look at the serial number. A legal serial number would activate malicious code (with a delay so the user would be unaware why that happened), a blocked serial number would activate copy protection bypass.

Translated use cracks from trusted groups.

relootz

Scholar
Mighty Mouse said:
Official response on GOG forums:
Hey folks... As some of you already know, GOG does not always get access to game masters. In this respect, we regularly have to resort various approaches to ensure we can deliver a DRM-free game that works on modern operating systems. We have always conducted these programming works in accordance with the relevant rights owners. Every game we sell has been approved by the latter.
Keep the drama going! :wink:

Much ado about nothing.

Lumpy

Arcane
Doesn't the EULA state that any modification is automatically the property of the owners of the licence? So they can authorize GOG to add any mods, such as cracks, to their downloads without giving any credit.

If, furthermore, it is illegal to make unauthorized modifications such as cracks, I'm pretty sure that the cracker group has no right upon the modified .exe, and GOG can legally take it and claim it as their own.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Technically a crack belongs to the ip holders who can do with it as they see fit, so this whole thread is much a quack about nothing.

Silellak

Cipher
Jaesun said:
Why does Drog get a gigantic boner over this?
I think he's been switching back and forth between "trolling" and "not trolling" so much lately that he's actually lost track of which persona is real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom