Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC game collecting community rocked by game forgery scandal

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I bet Ultima box forgeries from 2011 are valuable collector's items now.

Vintage forgeries!
That's actually a thing in period furniture appraisal. A good 19th century forgery of a 17th piece is actually very valuable, since it is itself a quality item from the past.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Make your own custom boxes.

PS1 and Dreamcast had the best disc game cases. CD jewel cases look much nicer and use up MUCH less space. Also cheaper to replace. Then the PS2 with its DVD functionality came out and Sony and Microsoft decided their game cases had to match ugly, oversized movie cases. Ever since, all cases have wasted so much vertical space for no reason at all. Have no idea why Nintendo made the same dumb decision with the Gamecube when it couldn't play movies anyway. The discs are only 1.2 mm thick and yet the case thickness wastes six times that. If I made my own packaging, be it for games or movies, I'd use CD jewel cases. Hard inserts, obviously. Unless it had an instruction manual or other booklet that didn't fit inside the square. I've seen some people put fake copyrights, review clippings and even bar codes on their own covers, which is so autistic. No way would I make a non-commercial cover look so commercial. I'd just put essential information on the back. Maybe some screenshots in case I forget the game or movie.

Shelf space in retail stores created some of the dumbest shit. That's how PC game boxes kept getting bigger and bigger.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Ezekiel

Arcane
Forgot to mention, the inserts in CD jewel cases also fit much better than the ones in keep cases. With keep cases, the paper often slides to one corner of the sleeve or sticks out above/below the transparent plastic slightly. Jewel case inserts and booklets/covers are almost exact, and because the part keeping the paper doesn't fold upon itself and open, there's less chance of the paper sliding around.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Oh my God! An Italian selling counterfeits? Who would have thought it? Man can truly find no solace in this wretched world.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I had a small collection of like 15 big boxes years ago, I sold them off and kept only a handful of manuals from games like Fallout 1, Civilization II, Wizardry Archives, WarCraft II and Ultima IV. Those are truly nostalgic, fun to flip through and useful when replaying the games.

Boxes are nice to look at, but that's really all they do. And they take a ton of space. I'm perfectly fine just looking at the photos of mindx2's collection while keeping a 2TB external HD with a ton of GOG installers, CD images, patches, mods, emulators and ROMs.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I collect old RPGsr the C64. I really enjoy it. It's something to collect like others collect their own stupid shit. However, I follow a rule: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I wouldn't touch an Ultma II with 10 foot pole off of eBay - I'd have to see it in person or such.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish they rerelease boxed version of all of my favorite old games, I would buy them in a instant.

When I was a kid I could not afford original games, now that I have money there is little of value to buy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  1. PRINTED PIECES: The halftone dots on printed materials do not appear to be in-line with print processes from the time. Sometimes dirt and wear appear to be printed on. CMYK dot patterns appear in places where there shouldn't be printing at all. The halftone patterns on Enrico's materials often present a Moire' pattern, which happens when reproducing something that already has a halftone pattern. Things that are supposed to be one color prints often appear to be four color prints, or they don't have smooth edges when looked at closely. Digital manipulation artifacts are present. Colors in general are often different.

2. MEDIA: Disks were tested, and many did not include game data. Cassette tapes did not have game data on them, had actual audio, or had data patterns that weren't what they should be.

Nice prioritities. "There is a Moire's pattern in the corner where it shouldn't be any! Also, the tape has Michael Jackson's "Thriller" recorded instead of the game."

Yeah I think these collectors don't even intend to play the games they collect.

Like Garrett says when you enter Lord Bafford's library in Thief:
"I wonder if he reads them, or if it's just for show."

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's amazing that people who look to make quick money from idiots parted too easily with their money seem to turn to the Ultima Community.
And look who's coming to the rescue.

Richard Garriott believes his sig look authentic , judging from a photo. :| I don't know though, while I can understand quality of fabrication differs from batch to batch, and that material ages differently depending on usage and storage....

... the floppies were empty, Richard.

I was gaming in the 80s. I saw some shit like Ubi Soft mislabeling Disk 1 as Disk 2, but an empty disk, Richard ? Really ?

I'd be half shocked by this point to learn a man who has built his money in the recent years selling a scam called SOTA, is now turning to NFT, has exploited his fanbase down to the point of selling them body fluids, would happen to be an accomplice of a fake game manufacturer.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's amazing that people who look to make quick money from idiots parted too easily with their money seem to turn to the Ultima Community.
And look who's coming to the rescue.

Richard Garriott believes his sig look authentic , judging from a photo. :| I don't know though, while I can understand quality of fabrication differs from batch to batch, and that material ages differently depending on usage and storage....

... the floppies were empty, Richard.

I was gaming in the 80s. I saw some shit like Ubi Soft mislabeling Disk 1 as Disk 2, but an empty disk, Richard ? Really ?

I'd be half shocked by this point to learn a man who has built his money in the recent years selling a scam called SOTA, is now turning to NFT, has exploited his fanbase down to the point of selling them body fluids, would happen to be an accomplice of a fake game manufacturer.

“You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain”

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Boxes are nice to look at, but that's really all they do. And they take a ton of space. I'm perfectly fine just looking at the photos of mindx2's collection while keeping a 2TB external HD with a ton of GOG installers, CD images, patches, mods, emulators and ROMs.
Same.

But collecting is a real thing, and old stuff (no matter if games or, anything really) can have tremendous amounts of value. Doesn't matter one bit what the material value is.
So from a collector's perspective, I understand why one would be so very upset about forgeries.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I used to have a number of classic cRPG boxes that I stored at my parents. I had an original shrink wrapped Dungeon Master. Might and Magic boxes 3 to 7.
Ultima IV and VI in perfect condition with all the trinkets that I had bought extremely cheap at a second hand store before retrogaming collection was a thing. Everything was left there when I moved out.

A couple of years ago I asked if I could see the boxes back, just to check on their condition and my parents told me : "that old stuff ? we threw all of it away.".

:hmmm:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I used to have a number of classic cRPG boxes that I stored at my parents. I had an original shrink wrapped Dungeon Master. Might and Magic boxes 3 to 7.
Ultima IV and VI in perfect condition with all the trinkets that I had bought extremely cheap at a second hand store before retrogaming collection was a thing. Everything was left there when I moved out.

A couple of years ago I asked if I could see the boxes back, just to check on their condition and my parents told me : "that old stuff ? we threw all of it away.".

:hmmm:

Valuable lesson, never store stuff at your parents house

Vintage forgeries!
EyKGhE4WYAoiEeI

jimster

Educated
I like my boxes... :oops:
I don't think there's an issue with collecting physical copies of games that you like. There's value in having the manuals and such especially for RPGs, and you can eventually hand them down to your kids and raise em on the classics :shittydog:
But purchasing games for investment value's sake is kind of a gamble so dude kind of had it coming for him. Also the way he worded it, "This used to be the center pieces of my collection. Rare and expensive old games," is super rarted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom